Author Topic: 88 4Runner 302 engine swap needing help/advise/anything ya got  (Read 8702 times)

wood

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have an 88 4 runner with a 3.0V6 and an auto tranny. I just bought the runner and it has 207K on the od. I have no clue as to the engines history. The engine smokes when you first crank it up and it runs a little ruff. I was looking into rebuilding it but man they are really pricey to rebuild. Secondly a lot of people say the 3.0's aren't nearly as good as the 22R's.

About a month ago I bought(for a great deal) a W56 tranny bolted to a marlin built dual ulimate crawler (2.28x4.7) and I planned on getting a R151F and puting it behind the 3.0 and bolting the cases to that. With the intentions of later rebuilding the 3.0

Well my dad just gave me a Ford 302 EFI that has about 20k on a long block. It was in an 1985 F-150 that was totaled. I am considering puting the 302 in front of the W56 and converting the cases to 23 spline. I am a very sensable driver, in that, I am easy on the drivetrain so I think I can keep the W56 alive. I would also plan on keeping the 302 stock.

I figure by the time I bought the R151(used) and get a bell housing to fit my 3.0(R150) then buy a clutch and pressure plate and convert the cases to 23 spline(which I would do either way, 3.0 or 5.0) Then rebuild the 3.0 V6, I could install the 302 into my Toy for the about the same price or cheaper. Then I would have an engine that has much more power and is easier to work and also way cheaper if it ever needed a rebuild.

I am trying to figure out which route to take. I would like the power and ease of parts on the 302, but It will be some work to get it installed.

I have some questions for you guys if ya'll could help me out.

1. Are the motor mounts on the toyota frames the same on the v6 as the 4cyl?

2. Would the V6 radiator cool the 302?

3. Will the W56 tranny hold up to the 302 if driven accordingly?

I spent a few hours researching this subject but diddn't find out as much as I would have liked(or I wasn't looking in the right places) If anyone has some helpful links to this subject (installing a 302 into a toyota) and also things like how to get the Ford's EFI to work in the Toyota, that would be great.

Any advice/tip/suggestions are very welcomed/needed.

FWIW: I will be building this runner to be driveable on the street (up to a 3 hour drive to the trail) and also a good trail rig. Here is a list of what I will be running:

36 x 12.5 Swamper Sx's
3" suspension lift
2" B.L.
Hy-steer
5.29 gears(if I stay with the V6)
4.10's (if I go with the 302)
FJ-80 high pinion diff in front with either an electric locker or a Full detroit locker
V6 diff with full spool in rear
Longfields 30 spline birfs/axles
New project--1988 4Runner Currently stock, but not for long!
www.HCOR4x4.org

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Yep, it's going to be a lot of work, but WAAAYYY better than the 3.0.
#1 don't think the motor mounts are the same. Doesn't matter anyway, your going to have to either buy some after market mounts, or build your own.
#2 nope, the V6 radiator isn't going to do a good enough job of cooling. It might work running down the road, but crawling on the trail it's going to get hot.
#3 Yep, if you are a "sensible" driver like you say, then the W56 should hold up. There have been many people running this combo with success. Obviously the 150, or151 would be better, but I understand running what you have too.
As far as wiring I would get a hold of Howell for the harness. www.howell-efi.com I don't know if they do Ford harnesses though. Maybe only chevy. If not try Painless wiring. It will cost you some more money, but save you a few years in life span by eliminating some of the headache.
Oh ya, the 3" lift isn't going to cut it for the 36's, or for the clearance from the pan to the axle. I would set the motor in, then build the suspension accordingly. May not need to be to much more, but 3" isn't going to be enough.
Many people have said that they have had problems with north west off road, but they do have experiance with the 5.0 install. www.northwestoff-road.com
Also advance adapters for the bell housing etc. www.advanceadapters.com
Of course marlin for all of your other needs. www.marlincrawler.com

Good luck, and trust me, you won't miss the 3.0

(sorry swampy)

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
i've heard some rumor that you may be able to use an AX15-ford bellhousing from advance adapters...might look in the "5 speeds" thread, as no "official" solution to use an R150/R151 with a 302 exists.

i think some versions of the engine don't really put out much more torque than a 4.3 chevy, so a W56 should at least survive for a bit if you don't go crazy with the skinny pedal.  the best transmission for this application would be something like a T18, NP435 or better yet an NV4500, but with the 4500 i don't think you can use a toyota case, at least yet

the 302 is an under-used swap...i see so many people wanting to do 350 swaps...that motor puts out a lot more torque than a toy drivetrain should be able to handle, and it's bigger and 100lbs heavier than a ford smallblock, and also has the distributor in the rear which can cause some clearance issues

wood [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yep, it's going to be a lot of work, but WAAAYYY better than the 3.0.
#1 don't think the motor mounts are the same. Doesn't matter anyway, your going to have to either buy some after market mounts, or build your own.
#2 nope, the V6 radiator isn't going to do a good enough job of cooling. It might work running down the road, but crawling on the trail it's going to get hot.
#3 Yep, if you are a "sensible" driver like you say, then the W56 should hold up. There have been many people running this combo with success. Obviously the 150, or151 would be better, but I understand running what you have too.
As far as wiring I would get a hold of Howell for the harness. www.howell-efi.com I don't know if they do Ford harnesses though. Maybe only chevy. If not try Painless wiring. It will cost you some more money, but save you a few years in life span by eliminating some of the headache.
Oh ya, the 3" lift isn't going to cut it for the 36's, or for the clearance from the pan to the axle. I would set the motor in, then build the suspension accordingly. May not need to be to much more, but 3" isn't going to be enough.
Many people have said that they have had problems with north west off road, but they do have experiance with the 5.0 install. www.northwestoff-road.com
Also advance adapters for the bell housing etc. www.advanceadapters.com
Of course marlin for all of your other needs. www.marlincrawler.com

Good luck, and trust me, you won't miss the 3.0

(sorry swampy)

What I meant about the motor mounts were accually the motor pads on that are welded to the frame that you bolt the rubber mounts to. Are the v6 and 4cyl pads the same?

I currently allready have the 4" all-pro front springs that I picked up for a good deal that I planned on using for the sas on my runner. Will these spring work with the 302 V8? If not what spring can ya'll recommend for the V8. Maybe 44044's?? As far as clearance for the 36's My other toy had rears up front with about 3" lift and a 2" BL and I fit the 36's with no problems. I really don't want any more that 3" in the suspension. I planned on cutting out the tranny tunnel and lifting the t-case and gas tank to make a flatter belly. But to do this I need to install the BL to make room for all of it. --(thinking outloud)-- Maybe if I install the 2" body lift, instead of lifting "just" the rearend of the t-case, I can fab some engine mounts that will lift the engine 2" as well. A basic drivetrain lift. That would aid in the clearance of the powersteering box as well as give me the room I need between the oil pan and the front axle, then I could stay with a 3" suspension lift :dunno:  :dunno: I'll do some searches and see what I come up with. Does anybody know where I can get some pre-fabed engine lift mounts??

Howell doesn't do fords. I may call painless and see what they can do. Thanks for the help.
New project--1988 4Runner Currently stock, but not for long!
www.HCOR4x4.org

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Ya, 2' body with the raised drive train would be pretty cool.
Not sure about the all pro spings. Seems like I read somewhere that guys were having a problem with them sacking out. The weight of the 302 might cause that to happen faster, not sure. Maybe those springs, and relocate the hangers down a bit anticipating a little spring sag.

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
Check out John Douglas' web site regarding his 302 swap in a 4Runner. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/

There is a bellhousing available from Dellow that will allow you to bolt the 302 to a W56, another that'll fit the early R150F and R151F, and a 3rd that'll work with the later R150F and R154 gearboxes.

Northwest  Off Road Specialties has a 302 swap kit for the W56. http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/engineswap.html Their bellhousing looks awful similar to the Dellow bellhousings I've seen pictures of, although Dellows weren't painted/powdercoated black.  :shocking:  If Northwest is using a Dellows bellhousing, they should be able to obtain one for the 302 to R151F from their source....

:idea: Call them and let us all know.

I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

STRAPON

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since Jan '05
  • '85 5.0 HO, AOD, 5.29's, cross-over high steer.
    • View Profile
Your on the right track.  I just recently put a 5.0/AOD into my 85 Toyota.  I'd recommend selling the F150 engine and buying a donor car.  I bought a 1991 Thunderbird with the 5.0 HO for $500.00.   This way you have the complete harness, mass air and can use the AOD if you want it. "Harnesses can cost over $500.00."  It ran great so all I did was replace the rear main, oil pan and intake gasket.  I bought the motor mounts from NW Offroad and tcase adaptor from Parts Mike. The adapter was made Advance Adapters but about $100.00 cheaper than ordering direct from AA. I'm using the V6 radiator with a 2000 CFM pusher fan with 205 degree thermostat. I haven't used it in the summer yet but if I have problems NW offroad sells a 4 row aluminum radiator that will bolt in.  There isn't room for the mechanical fan.
The job will take a lot a fabricating but it's worth it.  Took me about a month of weekends and every evening.  You'll need a wire feed welder and schematics for theToyota and for the donor vehicle.  If you can find an 88 to about 94 Mustang that would be even better.  You will need a body lift and at least a 3" suspension lift.  I have a 3" body lift with the 3" suspension lift.  I used Skyjacker front springs and they've held up great with the added weight.  I also have cross-over high steer with no interference.  The project moved my tcase back 5".
If your truck didn't come with EFI then you will need to do some additional work.  My rig already had it.  If so you can keep the original electric fuel pump because it should put out the 35 psi that you will need for the engine.    I went with the AOD transmission because it was cheaper for the conversion, easier on the drivetrain and better offroad in my opinon.  Turning 2300RPM@80MPH isn't too bad either.  I have 4.10's with 33" BFG Mud-Terrains.  So far the truck has been awsome.  It is very fast and still easy to manage.  It is great on and off road.  No one can beat me to the nearest trail head if there is a freeway in between. 

Any question feel free.

Bill

ezthere

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Feb '04
  • 85 4runner, worked 4.3L V6. 300HP.
    • View Profile
Go to your nearest REF. I don't think your swap is leagle. the Motor has to be the same year or newer...Or get the papers and windshield vents with the numbers from an 85.Swap that out and turn your 1988 into an 85....NOW your leagle :beerchug:
Chuck

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
Pics of the 302 Ford Dellow bellhousing for a R151F/R150F (160 mm input shaft length) and R154 tranny.

The R154 is bolted to its 302 bellhousing. The R151F/R150F bellhousing is in the upper LH corner of the pic. Notice how much thicker the flange is on the 302 to R154 bellhousing where the gearbox mounts.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ozrunner/graphics/BH2.jpg
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".