Author Topic: jimbo74's classic t-maxx  (Read 7435 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
jimbo74's classic t-maxx
« on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »
so i have a thread on my 1/16th merv, and i am bringing my t-maxx back from the dead. my dad is currently trying to get it running, i guess it's all together and ready to go, but he cant get the glowplugs to get warm, even out of the truck, so looks like it's time for new plugs

anyways, here is the build thread, for now.... and it isn't a crawler either.... i have had this thing since the t-max first came out, it has the pro .15 motor, and it is narrow, the wide suspension didn't come out until after my truck existed already

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Re: jimbo74's classic t-maxx
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2010, 08:17:02 PM »
Build threads on rc cars..... Thats a new one.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2010, 01:24:11 PM »
Build threads on rc cars..... Thats a new one.

are you being sarcastic or just being a jerk? because there are tons of other threads in the RC forum, many of them, build threads

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2010, 01:49:07 PM »
No... I just never seen an rc car build thread thats all.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Fun trucks I got one.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
No... I just never seen an rc car build thread thats all.

there is a whole forum dedicated to rc trucks here on this very site

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2010, 01:35:47 AM »
i need some tuning help, trying to get everything all running (well otehr than the fact i toasted another set of plastic ez start gears) looking for a pull start now (anyone got one to donate?)

i need some linkage pictures for the throttle, also some pics of how much the carb is supposed to be open at idle, when brake applied, at wot.... i can get it to run, but it isn't right, when i hit the brake, the throat closes and it dies out

i do have the traxxas tuning guide, but i don't even have baselines set, so i dont even really have a dead start to start with

all the linkages and settigns have been changed.... i also previously indexed the arm on the carb throat itself, now when the brake is applied, the collars hit the head.... so i know that isn't right either

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
ordered my pullstart today :)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
2 steps forward, one step back.... so i think i got the tuning issues set... but..... the second ez start someone sent me, i though was dead.... so i got a pullstart, well i installed it, and it was kinda dead.... took the motor apart, and found that the oneway bearing sucked..... the guy at hobbytown suggested to clean it out... so i am soaking it in carb cleaner for the night.....

will try the ez start again tomorrow, the first ez start stripped gears internally, the second, well nothing is wrong with it... and i have a pullstarter too now

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2010, 02:03:14 AM »
so we got it running today, and i was able to drive it across the yard.....

but it still has issues, seems close, but no beans

it seems to rev kinda high at idle (maybe i jsut don't know what it is supposed to sound liek anymore) but then i drive it around the yard, if i apply throttle slowly, it is ok, but sluggish, if i gas it, it stalls out.... if i slam on the brake, it stalls out

i have the throttle set so it doesnt close past 1mm on the openning at idle, but it seems that there is eitehr glitching or even vibration, that makes it wonky at times and speeds up to mid throttle on its own..... hmmmmm

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:56:04 AM »
well i drove it down the block......

seems to not want to go full throttle, it will stall out..... and it has a steady idle, but not sure if it is right yet.... when i initially start applying gas, and it starts moving, it is slow... take awhiel to get up to speed, which isn't fast at all, and stalls when i try to go wot

also... when i lay on the brake, the engine cuts out

and it might be due to the tuning issue, but it does shift forward and reverse, but not always by itself, sometime i have to gotothe truck, and seems liek i have to force the fork in our out more to shift... possibly a linkage issue, or it jsut isn't happy with the tune

it does leave a nice white trail of smoke when i drive it though.... so maybe too rich?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Male Posts: 1,660
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:52:54 AM »
White smoke? What fuel are you running? It sounds like it might be to lean, try going richer and see if it gets better or worse. Mine with an o.s .15 on traxxas top fuel leaves a nice blueish smoke to it. As for the reverse shifting, it is probably something to do with the servo, but hard to tell without watching it.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:56:37 AM »
i know that the tmaxx wont shift if the motor isnt tuned properly.....

it's traxxas top fuel, don't recall if it is 20% or 30%

not really sure how to make it richer or leaner... what setting? i guess there are 3 adjustments, and not quite sure what the baselines are or which one does what and why

~ John F. Kennedy ~

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2010, 02:22:14 AM »
You got me there I haven't touched mine in a long time. If you could take a close up of the carb area I could probably  tell you wich one you want to play with.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2010, 02:46:39 AM »

~ John F. Kennedy ~

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
It's the high speed mixture screw. The only other one you should have to use is the idle screw. The low speed mixture must be good or you wouldn't be running very well at all. start it up and turn the high speed screw a 1/4 turn richer and then make a pass with it and see if it got better or worse, if it gets worse start trying the same thing in the other dirction. Make sure you keep an eye on the idle screw, it's very important that you make sure it is ideling good after each turn of the high speed screw.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »
cool, i have a t and e maxx in pieces in the garage. got them both when they first came out. not sure if they will ever be back together though.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2010, 10:03:39 PM »
cool, i have a t and e maxx in pieces in the garage. got them both when they first came out. not sure if they will ever be back together though.

my tmaxx was in pieces, and i (well my dad) just recently refound it... it was sitting in my dad's shed..... it's fun, jsut isn't as fast (hopefully just yet) as my 1/16 mini revo vxl that is brushless

~ John F. Kennedy ~

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »
they are a little slow with the .15 but just have fun with it, I put a traxxas 2.5 in mine and it started breaking the drive shafts all the time :smack:

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
i remember it beign way faster..... i jsut have no idea how to tune it, or even where to start, i don't even know if my settings are correct to the stock baselines....

i tried messing with stuff years ago... and probably jacked it up more than helped it out..... i have become a lot smarter in recent years and understand thigns more.....

i couldn't figure things out 10 years ago... that is why the tmaxx went to the shed.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:02:37 AM »
Find what engine exactly you have and then look for the factory settings and re set them all to that, then use my method from above to play with it, this is the easiest way I found to get the little engines going good :thumbs:

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »
Find what engine exactly you have and then look for the factory settings and re set them all to that, then use my method from above to play with it, this is the easiest way I found to get the little engines going good :thumbs:

that is the problem, i have the pdf manuals from the factory, they dont have factory settings..... just says how to adjust them.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~