Author Topic: i dont know what to choose from all that options out there for my next motor  (Read 3745 times)

crank

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
thank u for given me some of your time to check out my topic ,but I'm stuck on what I should  used for my power plant in my 4runner. I'm still in that 3.0 plant but I can make up my mind on what to get. I need to worry about smog cuz I leave in California . If I get a v8 I'm worry about breaking parts an of course smogging it  ,but if I get a motor from a newer toyota truck or 4runner,I'm a bit scare of that wiring.Help me out fellas.thank you! 

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Well no matter what you do, you are going to have to mess with a pretty good amount of wiring, because you hae to use an engine newer than your truck to keep it smog legal. What year 4runner do you have?  Seems like the 3.4 v6 swap is pretty common in the 4runners.  I have a 7mgte swap done on my 87 4runner, but I also dont have to worry about smog.  3rz swap seems to be pretty common these days too, and of course there is always the Vortec 4.3 v6 which is nice because it fits better than a v8 but still has alot of power.  Lots of options, but all of the above options require extensive re-wiring or an expensive pre-made harness.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 526
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
the 3rz is an amazing 4cyl.  I have not done a swap, but have rebuilt and driven with one and it blows a 22re away.  there is plenty of info on this site avail. regarding the swap and complications/solutions.
I vote the Lexus 1uz though.  Toyota V8.  Reliability and power with a little novelty built in.
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
What do you want from the motor

Light weight

HP

Torque

Durability

Cost
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

dntsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
    • My 3.4 swap into a 92 pickup
I opted for the 3.4 swap into my 92, It wasn't that difficult in hindsight and this was a major undertaking for me as I am not the most experienced guy in the world. I teach 6th grade for a living !!  :thumbs:

Great forum over at Yotatech has every piece of info you would ever need.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010, 09:25:04 PM by dntsdad »
92 Toyota x-cab, 3.4 swapped, R150 5 speed, 2.8/4.7 SAS
My 3.4 swap http://www.yotatech.com/f160/had-officially-began-3-0-auto-3-4-manual-92-ex-cab-196823/

GrnMachine

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
I'm just starting to swap a 4.3l vortec into my 89 p/u, it is gonna be costly, but not too complicated wiring wise with a harness and computer flash from howell. I'll let you know how it goes, I might also start a build thread, but i'm not sure i can devote the time to it.
'89 extra cab sas'd, 4.3

crank [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
thank u for your posting and I'm a person that likes driving my truck everyday an driving it from to the trail .What can i tell u i love my truck,an it sound like I'm going to for 3.4 trd .I have in my truck 3.0 with a 5 speed with stock trasfer case . I just finshed a sas in that truck an lost that 4link in that back an put in spring leave in that back,in that axles I have 4:88 yukon gear an yukon lockers. i have a 4cyl transfer case with 4.7 marlin gear in it.That my next project in my truck after that is motor swap.Thank all for your advice !   

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
One thing I'll say about the 4.3 swap is your truck will feel right at home with 4.10 gears because they are very low strung motors but they are heavy. I would like to do a Lexus v8 swap or a vw tdi. There are guys getting close to 30 mpg in their vw swapped toyota's and the lexus v8 is a nice swap because it makes great power and weighs less than a 3.0, just a little bit to think about. The wiring for the 4.3 is really straight forward if you buy a painless harness but if your motor is central manifold injected the harness is around 800 dollars. Each motor has pros and cons. Do you home work and decide what will be the best application for you. Oh and with my 4.3 I was running 37's with my 4.10's and the truck was nice.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
3.4 keep it yota.  :biggthumpup:
i love oregon wheelin.

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
ive done 2 3rz swaps, easy and powerfull, mine will walk away from most 3.0 yotas

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
3.4 or 4.3 depending on your budget
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon