Author Topic: getting a tooth pulled. Its out and pictures.  (Read 11066 times)

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
getting a tooth pulled. Its out and pictures.
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »
So I have to get a tooth pulled next tuesday. Its gonna cost between 199-350. I don't have dental insurance so does that seem like a fair price? How bad is the pain. I've never had a tooth pulled before, this tooth ache is the worst pain I've delt with, I have 7 tattoo's and have broken my collarbone, wrist, ankle, few fingers and toes. I'm just wondering what I'm in store for with this. Any one got any advice?

Right now I'm on amoxicillin and vicodin for pain and stuff the dentist gave me today. They also told me I can rinse my mouth with wiskey for a minute or use warm salt water. I'm going with the salt water as the thought of having jd or something in my mouth for a minute would just make me probably yack.

Any one got any home remidies to make the pain less intence?
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 01:37:24 PM by fade »
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: getting a tooth pulled.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
 :beer: :boobs:      :dunno:  sorry to hear bro.
i love oregon wheelin.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »
Have you tried baby teething tablets? Crush the tablet on a spoon with a little bit of water & put it directly on the tooth.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »
For now you are gonna have to tolerate the pain.  As for getting the tooth removed, that is no biggie.  Let me take that back.  Which tooth is getting pulled?  If it's your wisdom tooth and its impacted, that may be kinda fun.   Sometimes, they have to bust it up to get it all out.  But a standard pull is nothing.  They numb you up, and then yank.  There will be some slight discomfort afterwards, but nothing like the pain you have now.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

fade [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:41:08 PM »
for now yes I'm good with the pain aslong as these vicodins keep doing their job and tylenol pm for when I really can't sleep. I have not tried those baby tabblets I'll have to look for those tomorrow. I heard clove oil works but safeway did not have non so I just came home and been icing it.

Thanks for the support guys. I'll be much happier once this is gone. Oh and its the furthest back molar but they might have to take out the wisdom tooth I hope not.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »
For now you are gonna have to tolerate the pain.  As for getting the tooth removed, that is no biggie.  Let me take that back.  Which tooth is getting pulled?  If it's your wisdom tooth and its impacted, that may be kinda fun.   Sometimes, they have to bust it up to get it all out.  But a standard pull is nothing.  They numb you up, and then yank.  There will be some slight discomfort afterwards, but nothing like the pain you have now.

Really Fun! NOT :sheerterror:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »
Had 2 wisdom teeth pulled last year and never had any discomfort.  Just don't sneeze, cough or blow your nose and you'll be fine  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »
My lower two were impacted, and had to broken up to remove.  And the top ones, had the roots in my sinus cavity.  And that was really weird having the blood clots break loose when I sneezed.  But I was knocked out when I had those done.  I've had enough dental work that I really hate sitting there while they are working on my teeth.

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »
I had my wisdom teeth pulled about a month ago and it wasnt too big of a deal. They knowcked me out and gave me norco for pain afterwards. As long as I kept up on some sort of pain pill, even Ibuprofen I was ok after a few days. I hated not being able to drive because of the norco. Overall though even wisdom teeth werent a big deal. :twocents:

Also, Iv found a postive attitude towards it will help a lot.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 11:05:02 PM »
They gave me a prescription for norco or vicoden, but all I did was take a few ibuprofin the first day and never felt a thing.  Never got the prescription filled cause I saw no point in it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 04:54:15 AM »
You can get it done cheaper by having it done at a dental school. Helps you, the students, and is done under close supervision.
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »
I always get a GOOD prescription filled!!  Even if I don't need it at the time.  It's always nice to have a couple of those pills around for when you really are hurting.  I get pinched nerves in my left hip, and that is the only thing that helps.  But Dr. won't prescribe anything but Ibuprofen for that, and they don't do anything for me, except upset my stomach.

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:24:06 AM »
I've had 3 root canals and 6 cavities filled in the last 5 months.   The root canals were $1200 each and I have no dental insurance.   That's what I get for not going to the dentist for 12 years.  I'm still paying off the credit card.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
My lower two were impacted, and had to broken up to remove.    But I was knocked out when I had those done.  I've had enough dental work that I really hate sitting there while they are working on my teeth.

X2 on the impacted.  :ack: I was not knocked out?
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
all of my wisdom teeth had to be impacted, lower 2 were coming in horizontal along the back of my jaw (tiny mouth). definetly didnt feel good, but after the first day just took tylenol and rinsed with salt water.

if your cheek starts to swell or hurts put some ice on it and gently massage the sore spot, helped me alot.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

gray

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »
It  will not be as bad as you are thinking,like the guy said above go in with a good attitude it will help more than anything!!  :gap:
86 pick up 39's ,propane ,5:29's longs ,Detroit 's duel cases w/4:70 in rear case,twin stick,ceramic clutch ,rear disk brake convertion,cut and rotated front axle, inboard rear springs,exo cage,flat bed

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
It won't hurt as bad as the pain your in now.  When I had my two upper wisdom teeth pulled they knocked me out and I didn't feel anything.  After I got home I took or two pills and was fine after that.  It felt like someone had punched me in the jaw.  I've never had a normal tooth pulled, just the upper wisdom and a baby tooth which is different.

I would make sure your dentist has a lot of experience with wisdom teeth as it can go badly if they don't know what they are doing.

I had a root canal recently and it was more annoying than anything else.  My root had already died a long time ago, I remember the weekend when it did (I didn't know what was happening at the time), but I headed for the ER/Urgent care multiple only to have it stop hurting.  It was a couple of days of the worst pain I've ever felt and it would go 20 minutes on and 40-60 minutes off.  When it was hurting I would have agreed to just about anything to make it stop.

My advice is to avoid comedy movies during your healing process.  Dumb and Dumber made me bust a stitch with my wisdom teeth.

And, your lower teeth are more difficult than you uppers because they don't drain naturally.  I don't think you specified upper or lower.

Bottom line you hurt a LOT more now that you will then.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
My wife just called a few minutes ago and asked, "What are you doing?"  My answer was finishing a post on Marlin about teeth.  Not really a common answer for me.  In any case, she is a PA and worked at a community medical clinic for several years recently.  She said that community clinics often have dentists associated with them that are setup to work with people without insurance.  You might be able to get a better price.  It could make a huge difference if your wisdom teeth need to come out.

As for a root canal for $1,200 without insurance, that's a great deal.  I paid over $900 with insurance.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

fade [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
its lower bottom left its a molar not a wisdom. Its a oral surgan I'm going to so they have quite a bit of experence. I tried to find dental schools and things to help people with out insurance. The closest one is in portland about 4 hours away from me so thats no good. I got money I was justg tryin to see if that was a good price. I'd rather not get a root canal because thats a big waste, you get old and loose teeth anyways. I'd rather honestly get all my teeth pulled and get dentures.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

gray

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 03:12:59 PM »
You really do not want to go in that direction if you don't have too!!If you you lose teeth you really need implants are the way to go, they have a great track record of over 97% still there  years after placement!! Good luck with your extraction of 18#.
86 pick up 39's ,propane ,5:29's longs ,Detroit 's duel cases w/4:70 in rear case,twin stick,ceramic clutch ,rear disk brake convertion,cut and rotated front axle, inboard rear springs,exo cage,flat bed

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »
im going to the dentist today and then later this month I have a pre-op visit to get one of my wisdom teeth pulled by a oral surgen WHAT A LUSH!!!
the dentist I saw said I need to get all 4 wisdom's pulled but the other three arnt bothering me
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

08:55:22 PM BeccaLoo24 – i like to screw things

$99 scratch and dent drill press has drilled more holes than Ron Jeremy.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48342.0

[img]http://bo

fade [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
yeah brotha lol. Idk Just something about some one else in your mouth with plyers freaks me out a little. I mean its their job but still a little weird.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »
for $350 dollars they better knock you out

i paid 700 cash to have two molars surgically removed

a regular extraction with just novacaine and pliers should be around $100

gray

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 08:12:14 PM »
Soooo , How did it go? :gap:

fade [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Well they wanted $650 to pull it knocking me out. I said I don't got that kind of money when you told me no more then $350 on the phone. I had $500 with me but I was not paying that much. So they gave me antibotics again some clindomicin or something like that till next thursday when it gets pulled out.

What really sucks about this is I live in a small town with 1 dentist who was booked till middle of june could not even get me in to perscribe me meds. So I went to a dentist 1.5 hours away 1 way. I've been there 2 times so about 6 hours of wasted driving and $88 a pop on dental visits $25 on meds and I have to go back again. So about $40 in gas also plus next visit of $250 is what they told me I got it in writing and had them put quote is good for 3 months signed by the dentist and front desk lady.
 I'm pretty p.o. right now about them. but its hurting like no other and needs to come out.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 10:42:23 PM »
I got a hammer and some vise grips. You got 15 mins?
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 06:30:05 AM »
Hopefully, it won't start hurting worse.  If you're still comparing cost vs. benefit for having it removed your tooth isn't hurting as much as it could.  When I had a root die a few years back I might have agreed to a chainsaw extraction if I was promised that it would make it stop hurting.

There are three levels of pain:

(1) Not Hurting
(2) Hurts but known fix isn't worth it so I'll just let it take care of itself
(3) Make it stop now!

fade [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 11:34:12 PM »
its like a 2.5 most days it hurts like hell but the pain killers help and thinking of other stuff helps also. but it will be out soon or I'm just pulling it myself.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

fade [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: getting a tooth pulled. Its out and pics
« Reply #28 on: Jun 03, 2010, 01:35:31 PM »
got it out this morning. Got 4 shots. they let me get numb for 20 minutes. dr came in along with 4 assistants 2 to hand him tools, 1 to watch my blood pressure and one in the corner to watch the thing happen. He said your going to feel a slight pressure and that was about it. I felt a lil pinch and it took about a minute then he said tooths out gonna give you some stiches and you will be on your way. about 45 min total. Was not even as bad as I thought it would be.   

Heres some pics not for the light hearted.

86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

fade [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 03, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
sorry for the cell phone quality. I'll get the digital out later when I'm feeling better. took 3 vicodin per doctors orders and been sleeping and dizzy for a while now pain is going away and the pain I got now is less then the pain the tooth was causing so I'm happy.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban