Author Topic: Is there a way to strengthen the stock J arm?  (Read 6862 times)

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Is there a way to strengthen the stock J arm?
« on: Mar 30, 2010, 09:12:35 AM »
I have an 85 4Runner with stock steering and can't afford the Hysteer setup yet. Is there a way to strengthen the stock J arm? I've heard that your not supposed to weld on them because there cast, is that true? Does anyone have pictures of modified J arms?
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to strengthen the stock J arm?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
not sure on the strengthing part but you can weld cast.  it sounds like crap when you do it but it lookd good when i was done with it...ill post a pic in a minute

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »
its a hook i made for my reciever, both the hooks are cast but the square stock isnt....

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
there are pictures around, I personally don't have any though.

You can weld cast, you just have to treat it properly when you weld it.  Preheating, welding slowly, and allowing it to cool naturally are all important to cast welds lasting. 

Do you have a lift?  You can flip the ball on the j arm, that might help your situation.

Something to weigh in your mind though, is how much is your life or someone else's worth?  I'm not criticising your skills at all, but when you're messing with steering, a failure could be deadly.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

yotarunner85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2010, 09:29:03 AM »
I have a 4" lift and a Superlift dropped drag link, so the angles are ok. I have broken two J-arms so far and carry a welded back together one for a spare to get me off the trail but don't trust it on the road. Last trip out I bent the J-arm at the skinniest part and don't trust it anymore. Didn't want to waste money on another junkyard J-arm. I have access to a welder and was hoping I could strengthen it and get back out on the trail.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2010, 01:59:57 PM »
Have a buddy down in Tucson that kept breaking J arms on his 85 lifted Toyota. He broke 2 or 3 of them....the most recent break was one that I beefed up and the break point simply shifted to the area between the 4 studs.  Stresses really start going to hell the higher ya go....he was at 5 or 6" of lift. We finally got around to converting him to "basic cross-over" steering and he couldn't be happier....2 years ago and knock on wood :)

update....10-19-2015.....Scott down in Tucson is still happy as hell with the cross-over.  Nothing has changed in the 5 years that I posted this on this forum.

update.....5-13-2016......Scott  has had no problems with the basic cross-over.  Loves it.  Wants to give me a big kiss but I won't let him   :)

There are some advantages to basic cross-over verses the ever so popular Hi-steer...cost for one...the arms were just laying around and the cryo was the only real cost ($40),,,,primarily being never a problem of the upper draglink smashing the lower cross-link during wheel compression....and also the steering box does not have to be positioned as close as humanly possible to the front frame horn. This Y-arm was mig welded by me and then sent thru a quality cryo treatment to relieve all stresses and make it 'more durable' than even the factory. Also, the arms are not cast...they are forged steel.
    The offset of about 1.5" of the top arm to the bottom is to make sure the ball-joint does not rub a fat tire sidewall.  Results will vary depending on experience and skill level...and your age.  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:33:23 PM by ZUK »
           www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »
When you weld on cast with steel filler try to make short welds and let the piece cool to the touch each time before welding the next section. Or use nickel and preheat it, then stick in kitty litter over night to cool.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

yotarunner85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2010, 08:34:20 AM »
Thanks guys. ZUK you got the gears turning in my head. Nice welds.  :flamer: Do you have a picture of the finished crossover setup?

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:07:44 PM »
Here.s some more pics....

www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

yotarunner85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2010, 08:59:29 AM »
Thanks ZUK, nice setup. I already have a steering box out of a 87 pickup. I'll see if I can gather up the other parts needed. I would love to get rid of the stock push/pull setup.