Author Topic: 1st gen 4runner getting some Marlin Crawler love.... uber slow build  (Read 9305 times)

hiltu

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Heres my welcome thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=66778.0.
Orders are in, just waiting to recieve everything :D

Marlin Crawler:
-complete diff with grizzly and 5.29s
-complete diff with ARB and 5.29s
-ARB standard compressor
-HD front axle seals
-rear axle rebuild kit
-pull scale, 54mm socket, 2 magnetic drain plugs, and MC windshield sticker

Longfield super axles: Orders in SEE PIC
-30 spline front axles (inners and birfs)
-UHMW lifetime wiper seals

Trail gear: Orders in
-Rear chromoly axles

All-pro Offroad: Orders in
-wheel bearings
-2 differential protectors

MC order finally came in, however was missing the rear axle rebuild kit. No big deal, called up and they are sending it overnight. Also threw in a shot of my brand new (sat at dealer for 3+ years) 2007 Honda TRX400EX.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2010, 12:02:03 PM by hiltu »

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Heres my welcome thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=66778.0.
So i've ordered the same thing from Marlin Crawler 3 times today. VISA believes MC to be a gambling business and denies my transactions, believe it or not this also happened to me with Longfield super axles today. Anyways heres the parts list.
Marlin Crawler:
-complete diff with grizzly and 5.29s
-complete diff with ARB and 5.29s
-ARB standard compressor
-HD front axle seals (already have TG rebuild kit with bearings) Bearings are crap!  Get KOYO bearings from Marlin.
-rear axle rebuild kit
-pull scale, 54mm socket, 2 magnetic drain plugs, and MC windshield sticker

Longfield super axles
-30 spline front axles (inners and birfs)
-UHMW lifetime wiper seals

Trail gear
-Rear chromoly axles  Marlin has these!!  :wink2:

all orders were placed today, however i will find out tomorrow if any of them actually went through :D

FIXED!!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Marlin does not have the rear chromoly axles for my 85 4runner. They only have axles for the 95+ taco/4runner. Call me crazy but i thought the bearings in trail gears kit were the same as by marlin crawler. I didn't think TG made their own bearings, figured they had a supplier. Just checked out marlin crawler and they are sold out of wheel bearings.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 07:41:45 AM by hiltu »

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
Marlin does not have the rear chromoly axles for my 85 4runner. They only have axles for the 95+ taco/4runner. Call me crazy but i thought the bearings in trail gears kit were the same as by marlin crawler. I didn't think TG made their own bearings, figured they had a supplier. Just checked out marlin crawler and they are sold out of wheel bearings.

Its cheaper for a reason   :disturbed:

Crazy...
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
$39 vs. $45. Its only a matter of over-charging shipping and both cost the same. But as i stated, i can't purchase MC's bearings as they aren't in stock.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Trust me, get them from Marlin even if you have to wait.  TG sells cheap bearings and many people have bought them, cause they are cheaper over Marlin's.  And they have regretted doing that.

I would try to find KOYO or TIMKEN bearings, preferably KOYO, at your local parts house.  Another place to try is
http://www.allprooffroad.com/84894runnerdrivetrain/84894runnerwheelbearings 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Purchased the wheel bearings through All -pro. Is there anything else that should get attention during my axle rebuilds and 3rd member swaps?? thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010, 11:14:45 PM by hiltu »

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Longfield order came in the mail today, others to follow this week. See first post

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
pics of your runner??
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Here you go: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=66778.0 scroll down to about halfway for pics

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Trail gear chromoly rear axles showed up yesterday, no pic though

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
My All-pro order came in today, so now just waiting on Marlin Crawler. Also my rear window is down and i can't get it to go back up. I've replaced all the relays, checked the rear wiper mechanism, the rear topper bolt on the driver side, cleaned the switch in the center console. i ran wires straight to the motor and it doesn't want to move. Could the motor be bad in only one direction?

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Man I love getting parts in the mail :D   Looks like your gonna be having alot of fun soon!

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Marlin crawler in, pics added to first post plus a pic of my new quad

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Day 1:
well i was worried about working with the cone washers, sounds like they could be a pregnant dog to work with. Well what prompted me to rebuild the front axle is that the P.O. had bought the rebuild kit. The differential breather top was broke off and the breather was clogged. Oil was pushed out both sides and through the pinion bearing/seal. So the cone washers on the hubs were easy as the oil the pushed out kept them free and loose. However the ones for the steering arms/trunion bearings were a different story. Lots of PB blaster, hammering, and swearing and i was able to get all but 2 out. The other 2 are sitting in PB blaster overnight. Birfs came out fine and will be kept as spares or possibly sold. So next step is to remove the 3rd member and install the new one with the ARB locker and 5.29 gears. Than replace all the bearings and seals, put in the longfields, tighten everything down to spec, fill with oil, put tires back on and get ready to rebuild the rear.

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Day 2:
still not able to get the 2 remaining cone washers out. Continuing to hammer at it and apply pb blaster. Removed all the nuts/studs from the differential and nuts from where the pinion connects to the differential. The seal broke easily from the diff to 3rd member but not the metal to metal at the pinion. Currently soaking in pb blaster also. On the passenger side (opposite the 2 cone washers) i replaced the races and bearings along with the seal on the disc brake assembly. Still got to remove the inner seal and clean things up a bit but i can see the ARB being installed by this coming Monday for sure.

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
got one of the cone washers out the other day, just one more, working slowly but surely. Today i "installed" the longfield shifter. "installed" is a loose term in the previous sentence. Got the grizzly grip Santa Fe Brown bedliner in last week. Heres some shots i took with my cell phone:

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Front axle rebuild complete. ARB 3rd member filled with fluid, ready to roll. Removed rear axles and put the grizzly locker rear third in. Having troubles getting the rear axles off of the backing plate. Gotta work on the bearing retainer. Saw a writeup on 4x4wire talking about grabbing the backing plate and hitting the axle shaft onto a piece of wood, etc to bust the pressed on bearing retainer out. Only problem encountered was sheering 2 of the backing plate to axle housing bolts. Got some coming in from another marlin crawler member. After the rear axle is back together, im replacing the soft brake lines with extended brake lines. Then bleed brakes, replace the clutch master cylinder and bleed the clutch. Finally, install and wire the ARB compressor. At that point im going to drive it for awhile so i can re-accumulate money.