Author Topic: Simple DIY bumpers (2nd gen 4runner)  (Read 25149 times)

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
Simple DIY bumpers (2nd gen 4runner)
« on: Nov 20, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »
 :beer: cheers to headaches.

So to start the story. When i got my runner it had no rear bumper. I half liked the unfinished look. Some one ran into me bending my front bumper. Original plan was ARB but decide i could do it cheaper. much cheaper. First shot was a plate bumper that end horrible at hour 10 into the build. It had been a while since i played with metal, (im a carpenter). Second shot and thats how we get here.

Rear bumper. I had played with the idea of just using the frame mounted hitch but decided to go with square tube. It measures about 3"x3". I cut down the existing hitch bracket to mount my square tube too. That bracket is a good 3/8" thick.

My plan is to eventually add sides that would protect the lower quarter panel (?). I plan to move my axles around later and when i do that a minor "boat side" will be in order. I would like to basically take everything out in the rear corner below the inside box and closing it all off.

And i would also like to add a wheel carrier for jerry, spare, and a little rear protection from stupid drivers. I have thought about doing one from each side. I've seen allot of rovers do this so that the pass would carry a spare and driver side would carry a water and petrol can. But thats on that back burner till after winter and i decide on what tires to run.
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: Simple DIY bumpers (2nd gen 4runner)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »
The front bumper is made of 2"x6" 3/16" wall and it was about 7 feet long. I am also useing the cut off portion of my rear brackets to locate the bumper to the factory bumper brackets. More bracing will be added later. I took the rectangle tube and notched out the inner side at equal increments from the center. these will act as my bend around the front of the truck. I thought i took pics of this but i guess i was having to much fun with my angle grinder ;P . After i finished cutting my notches i tacked them at equal angles left to right. I also tacked the mounts on at the proper width so i could see what it looked like on the truck.

I didn't get my last couple angles tight enough so i took it off added one more notch and went back out.

They still stuck out but i got the idea of being able to run hoops over the fender to the sliders someday. And it gives it a little beef look i think.

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
I forgot to mention to start my tools. I'm using an angle grind (last one crapped so i got another HF $20). Ive got an HF Arc 120 that runs on 120 and 240 so its 240 in the "shop" and 120 if i need to tack something in the street. Rod is 6011 3/32".

On the rear bumper i went through about 20 cutting disks. 11 on the front so far.

As for my goals for the project. I would like to put a receiver on the front and rear to run a cradled winch someday. Highlift ability off the bumpers. My biggest thing is that the welds are strong enough to accomplish both of these. I was kinda hopein it would be purdy too  :stopit:

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
Rear bumper on the truck (sorry for the jump back)

Receiver for the rear

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »
My next step will be to add more welds to hold the bumper where it is. Then i plan on cutting the sides shorter a bit

Any comments?

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
are you planning on running a winch up front
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:33:36 PM »
Yea. I'm going to get a cradle when I get a winch so that I can run it front/rear/or on someone elses rig is the plan. Eventually I would like to build in two but that's down the road

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »
Add gussets to the bumper brackets.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
The plan is to tie the upper bumper to a lower bracket similar to the mounting points on a MC TG bumper. The rear hitch will fit in between there somewhere. I haven't decided what to do with the sides (wings). Id like to be able to jack from there for one wheel work. Ive got random square tube and pipe to fill in blanks. I think the real trick will be not making it weigh 1000 lbs.

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »
So i cut the wings down. I don't know  how well you can see.  im getting low on cutting disks so im stopped for a night. Next plan will be to close up the underside and then ill mount it on the truck and start with more support. Hopefully its not pourin tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments. I need more, let me know if it looks crappy or what you think i should change around a bit.

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2009, 12:20:10 AM »
So a couple thoughts I need help with. Jerry can holder, I think I hVe seen one pre made with lock on it but can't find where, anyone? Also the only hinge I know of is the rock jock one. Anyone know of others? I had thought about useing some tube And old wheel bearings or something but realized the amount of time and fab to make that work. Also had a thought of making another layer outward from the flat center part of the bumper. Sort of an accent sort of more protection/ rigidity.

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
So the bumpers done in its simpleist form. I still need to go back and add some receivers and gussets. Also debateing on bring in the wings more so they don't stick out as much but well see. Had a crazy idea of brown paint so i coated a with a layer of bed liner and then a rattle can brown.

I think im going to double up my corner beams with turn signals when i get bored.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
Looks like a good start to me!  I wouldn't move the wings in much, if at all :thumbs:  I'd definitely gusset the bumper mounts, but other than that, I think it looks good :yesnod:  It'll look awesome once its all done and the receiver is in it.

As far as the jerry can bracket, I've got a buddy who got one of the premade "baskets" for the jerry can, and then welded two 4"x 12" or so pieces on the long sides of the basket.  He cut a 3/8"x2" slot through the tops, about 2" down, and on the front one, a link of chain just under the slot.  When he has his jerry can in the bracket, he slides an 8" or so piece of 2"x3/8" bar throughh the two slots in the front back of the basket, under the jerry can handle, and then puts a padlock through the chain link, and a hole drilled in the 2" piece.  The lock keeps the 2" flat bar from sliding out, and he's got the flatbar just barely off the jerry can, and it is padded, so it doesn't rattle and keeps the can from moving.  Unlock the lock, pull the flat bar, and lift the jerry can straight up and out.  :thumbs: 

He can also use the flatbar as a wrench to open the jerry can lid, which comes in handy for him (lives in South Dakota), and the can lid can freeze on.

Hope that explanation made sense, I've got no pictures, but I can try to draw it out later if you'd like.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2009, 12:45:23 AM »
Those look great. The only thing I would do differently cosmetically is make the cut on the wings straight instead of having that hump in them.
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.

fourunnerguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
I really like how simple your rear bumper is. I should do something like this to my '95. I haven't had a bumper for months, I just think it looks better.

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »
Thanks. I was stoked on how the rear turned out. One problem is I only have rear body protection from rocks and lowered cars. Anything else will get my tail Gate. The will be solved when I add a tire carrier and Jerry holder. Still unsure of what to do for side protection but it'll be fine for the winter.

And from what I under stood of the Jerry can holder is what I was aiming for and I found on that wil work but that's for later also.

Next addition will be receivers front and rear and paint the rear brown. I don't like the color I ended up with but maybe it'll grow on me

fourunnerguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:48:42 PM »
I feel ya on the color. I'm lucky and got a white one. Have you planned out a tire carrier yet? Also curious what size tires you're running right now?

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »
For the tire carrier I haven't decicded on a hinge but plan on making two swinging bars that would over lap the bumper seen now. Then I'd like to use some tube to hug the tailgate for the spare. Once I figure out the spare location I can start locating the cans. I'll need to figure out something for the reverse lights and the lp.

I ran 34/9.5 tsl last summer. The tires in the pic are about 32/11.5 and are my winter highway tires (for going to the mountian "ski bum"). They are bridgestone winter dueler, Awsome on road traction tire for the winter. I don't know what tires to go to but they will replace everything I have so they need to mud rock snow and ice. I really like jason's tires so maybe something around that. They are 37 12.5 mtr's I think.

Had another thought for my bumper, well a resurected thought from the past. The idea was to put three receivers in the front for other acc. like a vise. But that can be added later as well.   

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2009, 02:29:03 AM »
Good job.  
You might consider installing the turn the signals into the bumper something like this:

On my bumpers I run a brace from the outside corner of the bumper down to the bumper mount(3rd gen oem frame mount).  This support will transfer any side impact on the bumper down to the frame, and also prevents it from being able to twist upward.  

I have smashed the one on my '91 pretty good on the trail and the only damage has been to the steel diamond plate(dented/deformed around the brace).

If you ever try another shot at a plate bumper, you might tray making a wooden frame that you could then use to cut, and mount up the plate.  Being a former carpenter that is what I did for my first plate bumper.

Since I was going to sheet it in aluminum diamond plate, I then used the wooden frame to make a lightweight steel frame.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2009, 04:53:37 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

slc_toyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2010, 01:30:33 PM »
nice, simple and easy

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
I like the idea snowtoy had about mounting the turn signals inside the bumper. Other than that it looks Awesome man. Good Job!
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »
I kinda wanted the turns in the bumper to start but the stock ones just didn't fit right because of the curve. The zip ties was a temporary idea. After watching swapped's turn get bashed against a rock but turned out ok because the zips broke i was sold at trying it. As of now i relocated the turn into the running light lens on the corner. I also added 4 lights that were on the stock bumper.

As of now this is how it looks.

I am thinking about painting black. Well see. Also started playing with some metal to make a basket. ill add that here when i get into it. But the plan is the length of the box but the other 60% width of the bars. newest idea is kinda looking like a  U so that things would be secure left to right but i could load some lumber if the basket didn't have a front or rear bar. They would maybe be an adon or something. Well see.

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Was it hard to get the corner lights to act as yer blinkers? My zip ties have been temporary for toooo long. hey if you aint busy tomorrow stop on by ill be workin on my yota. The GF leaves for Vegas in the mornin.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

bkfj55

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
looks great!

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »
corner lights was fairly easy. I took the hard way only to find the easy way 75% through. So ill share the secret i found. To start i cut the section of the stock turn housing off (the part the the bulb screws to). Then i drill a hole in the back of the corner housing (making sure it will fit in the hole, had to trim some metal on one side). i put the turn where the running lamp was and the running lamp higher up. JB Welded everything back up and it works great.

Now for the quicker better way i found. The drill bit i used was a 1 1/8" machine bit (regular pointed end bit). Well once it got in it chipped 3 parts away and screwed itself into the housing. Leaving the perfect tab for the stock turn connector to attach, stock gasket and all. I did the same with the smaller running lights and it worked very well.

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
Right On! Im gonna have to do that before I break my turn signals. :gap:

Pumba4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2010, 05:41:43 AM »
The rear bumper could have stood out about an inch to give the rear some protection.One step further, this is only a suggestion, add a valve and a filling point and make a water tank

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2010, 11:03:20 PM »
The rear bumper could have stood out about an inch to give the rear some protection.One step further, this is only a suggestion, add a valve and a filling point and make a water tank

I wish I had pushed the rear out a bit more but the stock hitch brackets were the final location decision. They only stuck out so far. In the end I'm going to add two half width tire carriers, one for the fuel can and water can the other for a stupidly large spare tire. That'll cover protection. I'm only really worried about on road rear damage. In which case any sedan/suv would probably go under the truck and hit my axle. My brothers car actually stops at the tire under the rear.

As for the water tank there is almost always a 7 gal jug in my back seat with the dog. Eventually it will be outside. I had thought about air but I'm 80% sure my welds arn't air tight.

Basket has gone through three changes but finally is on deck ready to be welded. I'll try and add pics tomarrow.

yotanation

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
That looks awesome man!

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
How's that front axle commin?