Author Topic: TURBO Tim's Turbo Transformation  (Read 32217 times)

TURBO

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 65475
  • Male Posts: 706
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Capt. Insaino shows no mercy
    • View Profile
TURBO Tim's Turbo Transformation
« on: Nov 06, 2004, 01:37:02 AM »
ok i took pictures of some old pics with my picture phone that's why they might look alittle weird...but this is my truck before i got it.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010, 11:27:41 AM by TURBO »
MY BUILDS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76463.0 :woohoo:

More than tread lightly, leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
I AM :screwy:!!!

"These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at"

Marlin is like the Chuck Norris of the rock crawling world. 

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Re: TURBO Tim's Turbo Transformation
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2004, 01:40:03 AM »
here's one of the moter i pulled out after it went south

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2004, 01:51:44 AM »
here's one of what's giong in

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2004, 02:10:53 AM »
well before i go any farther i need to tell the story behind all this

THE BEGINNING

Well, this truck used to belong to a guy named Bobby Stasio.  He had the truck for awhile
then he decided to either put in or take out a Buick V6.  :flamer: He spent his days  fixing it just right.  Every spare twenty dollars he earned he put  right into this truck.  He put a seven inch  suspension lift on it, 35” Mud King radials, a Weber racing carburetor, then when his buddy rolled his red 83 truck Bobby put the un-butchered wiring harness into the pig.  Bobby spent a lot of time getting every squeak, rattle, and vibration out of this truck and even painted it primer gray.

About this time, my brother Tom was preparing to get rid of his first 4WD Toyota due to a low end knock :_oops: and with the money he got from it and a horse trailer, he bought his second  4WD Toyota  From Bobby. Bobby sold it to him for $3200 and it came with Smitybuilt nerf bars, rear bumpers double-double roll bar and front bumper. Also an extra set of  mounted Mud King tires and a extra bench seat was thrown in the deal, along with any other Toyota parts Bobby didn’t want. :biggthumpup:

Tom mostly used it for a daily driver :driving: going back and forth to work in Merced, and taking me to  school with him his senior year.  He wheeled it a couple of times but not much. we spent plenty of time down at our local ponding basin, where we taught ourselves the basics of four-wheeling. :headshake:  We would drive threw the ruts and up and down the sides, also going across the sides, I would be so scared going sideways.  Tom invited his friend Tony out there in his suburban  :screwy: and he got high-centered  as he crested one of the sides. :smack: So Tom tried to pull an 8,000 lb suburban up that hill. :slap:  Needless to say, he had to reattach to the rear and pull him down.  All that and with only one broken motor mount.  :yawn:

:bowdown: The whole while I’m starting to like this truck more and more :bowdown:

Tom kept saying how much he should paint it. he also kept saying that he liked it primer gray so finally I said to him why don’t you paint it yellow?  He was like nah I don’t like yellow. :smack:  So I got on the computer and scaned a picture of his gray truck, then I proceeded to use my artistic ability to color it yellow.  I showed it to him and he was like, wow that looks cool. So a few months later, Tom  graduated high school. Then two weeks after that him and I were up at his friend Brack's relative's house for a graduation party.  We woke up the next morning to shouting.  There’s a fire over there! :shocking: so we all got up and ran outside. yep, a column of black smoke was rising over the dry grass hills :help: I jumped in Tom’s  truck  about the same time he did we shut the doors he put it in gear, and we hear, “can we come?”  so we open the doors and two little kids crawl in, :nonono: one sits on my lap. ‘Bout that time somebody trying to turn around runs over a tractor implement, slicing their tire flat :rivers: but we’re not stopping.  Tom pulls out the gravel driveway and hits second. :driving: we go over the hill and around a tree, he was about to hit third when the driver side rear tire hit a bump which sent the rear end sliding 180 degrees, the passenger tires hit the grass and the truck lands on it’s roof :laugh: :smack: :slap: :sad2: :down:

So back at the body shop they had cut off the roof and were getting ready to weld another one on off of a white truck when Bobby drives buy.  He gets out and looks at it, starts yell’n  :tantrum: freakin' kids cussing  out the closest  person to him, which happened to be my dad. :nonono: About a week later the truck is done.  Now it’s a gray truck with a white roof  so instead of spending  money, my brother spray paints it yellow, and about a week after that the engine blows. so I help tom pull it at my grandpa’s house then it turned out that the motor we put in, came from a company that recently went out of business, and that motor fails...  :slap: :help: by this time tom is getting fed up with it and wants a truck with more power.  He wants a Dodge.  :stopit:  He begs our mom for money, and being the kind woman she is, she gets my brother a loan for a 1996 extended cab 4x4 Ram. the catch was that my mom would get to keep the Toyota. Tom agrees thinking that she’d never have any use for it but ha ha! She did have a use for it.... her youngest son (ME) was approaching driving age.   So guess what , since mom never planed on driving it, it had no value to her.

So she gave it to me. :love:

AND THAT’S WHERE IT STARTS
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2004, 02:15:29 AM by TURBO »

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2004, 02:36:27 AM »
The first thing I did was put that “so cool” Smitybuilt front bumper on it then I put lights on the roll bar, I "stole" my brother’s CB that he got from bobby and put that back in, hooked up the PA speaker and drove  it to school.  After seeing my brother drive, I drove that truck like I was trying to pull a semi with dental floss. :crossed:
I never went over 2500 rpm and I always tried to cruse at 45mph in 5th gear. :slap:  I drove it that way for a year, just so I could say to Tom that I had made my motor last longer than any of yours ever did. :haha:  After that I was like you know what, it’s already gone over 2500 rpm a couple of times when I was four wheeling.  So I started wandering where the motor was producing most of it’s power.  I found out that it was about 4000 rpm.  Then after that, I just didn't care. :shake:

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2004, 02:55:52 AM »
The first time I wheeled that truck on an official trail was 8-3-00.  It was me and my best bud Matt Barklow.  He had a stock 88 Toyota with 33”s that he got because I always talked so highly of what Toyotas could do.
then my friend Jason Gillis got a bronco II :stopit: and I teased him heavily. :haha: :haha: Then Matt Jason and I went to a local run called Moonlight Madness that me and my brother went the year before. Jason tried to climb the creek crossing  but kept lifting a tire about two feet in the air and slipping back down. :nerv:  so he gave the signal to be winched up. about as soon as they started winching he turned the wheels the wrong way and he pulled the tire off the rim. :mad: a guy in a real bronco came up next to him to give him air but his front tires got light and his front end slid over into the rear of Jason’s  truck. :maddest:  Jason’s truck came out unharmed because the bronco’s fender collided with his tire carrier. after that Jason was so shell shocked that he didn't go on a single thing the rest of the time. few months later, Jason goes and sells his bronco II and gets a Toyota. :beer: a red 84. next year at moonlight madness we all go out  a day early to play around. :nonono:  but Jason was determined to show me up in his ex mud bogger turned rock crawler. :laugh: :laugh: So he’s going up Hollywood hill and hits that rock right in the middle.... :shocking: :shocking:both front tires come off the ground, the whole truck pirouettes on the rear wheel, :ack: landing on it’s two passenger side tires, balanced for like three seconds, :help: then tumbled the rest of the way down the hill. :bricks: 
It was nasty :ack:
He rolled seven times and wound up resting on it’s driver side buy a big boulder at the bottom. I got down there and  I asked threw the shattered sun roof if he was alright and he muttered “I’m dead.” I was like, :shocking: “NO JASON DON’T” :shocking: then he says my “mom’s gonna kill me” and I was like oh, :shudder: that’s better.  I remember running up that hill as quick as I could. I got on the CB and broke for base camp........ no answer......then I explained the situation  and waited again... still no answer :maddest:..... I got my truck into a better position and tried again..... finally someone answered. I told them where we were, and they said they were on there way.  He turned out to be ok just a little cut on the back of his head.  but  the truck was obviously totaled.

about a month later I took my truck to Pismo by my self :smack: .... I know, what a loser, well just wait.  I was driving down sand highway, SAND HIGHWAY!!!! :shake: when I looked over and saw this bowl full of trucks and jeeps, and campers..... the last thing I remember was watching  some hot babe jumping up and down on a trampoline in a bikini :wave: ..... WHAT A DISTRACTION!!!!!! the next thing i remember was falling off a dune. :nerv: I fell off at an angle so the rear end slid down and put me directly side hill.  so  I’m sliding down sideways when I hit the bottom and it lays on it’s side..... I was so pissed and embarrassed. Now that's a loser, how do you roll a truck in pismo are you stupid????? :punish:

about a week after I rolled it (NOTE: second time truck has been rolled) the engine that I tried so hard not to mess up blows piston rings out the tail pipe. :smack: guess where I got my next motor from? well I gave Jason a call and he said he still had the motor and would give it to me for $200.  So I put that motor in and could NOT get it to pass ****’n California smog. :puke:  Then I went to DMV and got some operating permits so I could drive it on a few trails then I put it under anesthesia for some MAJOR surgery... not just open heart surgery  more like Robocop surgery, or master chief's surgery.  When this truck is done it will sparkle.

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2004, 03:03:53 AM »
 :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2004, 03:06:01 AM »
 :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2004, 03:13:26 AM »
 :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2004, 03:20:21 AM »
 :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

:usa: :usa: :usa:

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2004, 03:47:57 AM »
 :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
ok so here's where it starts to get ugly.... as i mentioned i could'nt get it to pass smog no matter what i did. so i non-op'd it and stuck it in my dad's back yard... a perfectly good running truck that won't pass smog :maddest:  then i came across this smoke'n deal. $700 for another 83 truck, blown moter, stock carb, stock drive train and 31" street tires called "dominators"  :stopit:  cool!!!!!! now i could have my 'wheeler and my project.  I got the guy down to $600 cash.   I went to pick it up and it had this Mondo campershell on it :shocking:  :shocking: plus a lumber rack on top of that!!!!! :stopit:

i needed this truck running so i pulled my good moter out of my yellow 83 and stuck it in my white 83 got rid of that  :censored: weber and used new intake/exshaust gaskits got new spark plug wires, cap & rotor, & air filter element for it, fired that baby up and drove it to work... i was so exited that i didn't even take that  :stopit: camper and  :stopit: lumber rack off. so i got to work and everyone comes out :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: then andy takes his permanent marker an writes "stab'n cabin" on the side of the rack everybody :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :haha: :haha: i took it all off the next day.
i was suprized at how much more power it had without all that weight.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2004, 03:53:52 AM by TURBO »

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2004, 04:00:40 AM »
so now my yellow truck is in the back yard disabled. :shake_head:     
 :smack: what am i gonna do now????   so i take out the front axle.

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2004, 04:06:02 AM »
then i decided to remove the inner finders and the front radiator mount

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2004, 04:11:08 AM »
 :turtle:

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2004, 04:25:47 AM »
i figure i can do something like this out of aluminum for a fender mount
tie it into the new radiator support i need to make

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2004, 04:30:22 AM »
alright that's all i'm gonna post tonight :red_eyes: your coments are  :welcome: feel free to post up  i wanna get started working on the moter tomarow :yawn: goodnight.... uh morning

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2004, 09:48:48 AM »
Wow TURBO, All I can say is :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Can't wait to see SlowPoke back on the trails  :bounce:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2004, 11:21:52 AM »
 :maddest: arrggggg!!!  i forgot to get piston rings!!!  :hammerhead: awl there's no point in tearing two moters apart if your missing piston rings!   

i was going to tear apart my old moter to get the crank and rods, due to the fact the crank is the same but the rods are are a little shorterbut that would be ok because i was doing this just to get it started and so i can start from stock and work up....

my plans for this moter include

LCenginering stroker crank kit
larger turbo
ceramic coated pistons
intercooled

with a couple of other goodies i dont want to talk about right now  :nope: :lipsrsealed:

it's great i was taking the 22r-tec apart when i descovered

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2004, 11:30:58 AM »
the intake's ben ported SWEET now i dont have to do it... only problem is, i wasn't going to use the stock turbo head. i was pondering using a non-turbo EFI head to up my compresion but i dont know maby lower compression will be beter, more reliable?

well any ways sence i'm not working on it today i might as well continue updateing on what's already done

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2004, 11:56:54 AM »
well in order to keep the wireing harness from getting buchered i 'm going to do a full replacement by sticking the 86's full harness in there. and it would be alot simpler if i just put the whole 86 dash in there

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:18:16 PM »
well in order to get the amount of ground clearance i want, i needed to move the t-cases up but the body was in the way  :flamer: plus i plan on doing a complete Lexan floor so, on with the sawlsall  :flamer:

at this time i also installed a mocked up version of my t-cases. the tanny is also holow. i need to know where to put the floor so that's why i pit them in 

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:23:15 PM »
i also cut out the back wall..... remember these are all just rough cuts i'm going to clean them up later

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:24:30 PM »
seems like u marlin boys like going tripple
Im an OG

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:28:46 PM »
yeah it the best.there are so many diffrent types of terrain, it's nice that you can have so many diffrent ratios and be so versitle

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:35:07 PM »
oh yeah i put the axles under it

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:42:01 PM »
here's my idea for the bed plus somemore supports so things dont fall out i want to be able to throw an ice chest in the back and not have to worry about it. but if there's any thing small like a change of clothes or some small parts i can just stick it in a duffle bag and throw it back there

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:44:12 PM »
another shot of the back wall removed

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:49:02 PM »
so this is what i would see from the driver seat.... well the dash and peddles arn'n in the way but once i get everything where it needs to be i can put the lexan in

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:52:49 PM »
and if i look over my right sholder i'll se this

well sort of, the 86 gas tank will go in on the driver side

TURBO [OP]

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2004, 01:18:44 PM »
i'm removeing this cross meber for obvious reasons and fabing another higher above the driveline