We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: We test Marlin Crawler's HREW vs. Competitor's DOM Bumper Steel  (Read 136994 times)

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
This is truly great stuff.

rockhound

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 169
  • Male Posts: 817
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
Wow! A sweet little test to clarify a difference in strengths of materials, and instead of kudos for an informational study, you have stirred up a hornets nest! If you don't accept the results, do your own study. And publish them! Right on, Mike.  :biggthumpup:
How you 'sposed to know what your limitations are, till you exceed them.

www.RunandPlayMotorsports.com

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
You see all the hating going on here..Do you?...Theres more Hate on here about TG that I can find VS the TG forum...Not liking a product is one thing but to hate then talk smack and FOLLOW OTHERS is just plain stupid....Regardless from either fan customers...

The reason you dont see any hate talk from TG on their forum is because no one is on their forum. Thus no hate is said. At 10:30 July 20th Sunday morning I was on the TG forum and the MC forum. 14 were on the TG forum  :sleepy: and 118 on MC's  :turtle3:. There's no hate there because there's NO ONE THERE. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

Wait listen just a moment I think I hear crickets on their wedsite. Or it could just be the wind being let from your sails.

And you say Im following others, WOW if you knew your left nut from your right I may listen to you. But you dont, so don't go there FRIEND!

You know what I find really funny, the fact that 24hours after BigMike posted this topic on Pirate, TG came out with a new 1035DOM Bumper. :clap: :clap:
OH man if thats not truth in advertising...
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
http://www.trail-gear.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=37751#post37751

uh oh.....

Thats OK, from what I've been told by engineer friends, you cant get steel of consistent quality from China, one day its 1035 the next its 1020 or even 1010. I wounder how that will test...

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
http://www.trail-gear.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=37751#post37751

uh oh.....

What'd they do.... special order, make, ship and receive these from China overnight? Good timing  :eek: :shake:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
They bulk order everything, so Im guessing that they dont have them in stock yet.

BAMF

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 179
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Wait listen just a moment I think I hear crickets on their wedsite. Or it could just be the wind being let from your sails.

Hilarious.  :clap:
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Admit it or not.We all know if TG mentions about a competitors product,and same with Marlin, they are definitely "REFERRING" to each other..Just because the "Name" is not mentioned( legal issues) doesn't mean  hey both ain't still trying to make one another look bad.True or not about whatever product that may be mentioned, I don't know..But we know the attack and dirty looks among each other is still there......

And if you do not see that then YOU my friend is blind!.....You see all the hating going on here..Do you?...Theres more Hate on here about TG that I can find VS the TG forum...Not liking a product is one thing but to hate then talk smack and FOLLOW OTHERS is just plain stupid....Regardless from either fan customers...

Your absolutely correct, I dislike their practices. Think about it this way: If you walked in on your neighbor getting it on with your wife, would you still have him ride shotgun with you to the round-up? And would you still be married?

This testing is to prove to the non believers what we already knew. If we just posted up with text about other vendors product (where it's made or of what its' made of) it would be our word against there's. So that's why we spent lot of money having an outside source test the material. We just could not go on with the misinformation that people are eating up. So to counter a lie you use a truth. Some industries will counter a lie with a lie, we will not. Now, in the behind the scenes world of the off road industry, we all know more then a few of each others suppliers. We learn things about our off-road friends and competitors just like they do about us. Some companies (like our friendlies) do not use this information to purchase the product for themselves or to "reverse engineer" and offer in a lower quality material at a cheaper price.

What if we took a Lefty and copied it but made it out of some "better" material? We'd piss off Inchworm and a whole lot of people. Now give it a few years and about 500 products later and all these "pissed-off" people will start to buy the :pokinit: because its cheaper. I was there before, during and after the "2005 tsunami attack" and loyalty is the continued support of our customers, forum members and friends who hold us to the high standards we set since 1994. While "other" companies have popped up in the last few years and have gained customers by wooing them away from quality and fair pricing to lower standards and the yuan. The result is a the Toyota after market is becoming the jeep after market.

Buy it to last. Buy it from a company that will last. Buy it because you are supporting the entrepreneur that started it as a dream to help others and not from a swashbuckler who wants to make money off these same people.

Thanks TacoRunner and all who support this forum and company. MARLIN CRAWLER ROCKS!!

Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Thanks TacoRunner and all who support this forum and company. MARLIN CRAWLER ROCKS!!

Yep :maddest: Guns blazin' buddy   :thumbs:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
You should run a test on square tube as well

hey BigMike

This would also be a good idea.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Your absolutely correct, I dislike their practices. Think about it this way: If you walked in on your neighbor getting it on with your wife, would you still have him ride shotgun with you to the round-up? And would you still be married?

This testing is to prove to the non believers what we already knew. If we just posted up with text about other vendors product (where it's made or of what its' made of) it would be our word against there's. So that's why we spent lot of money having an outside source test the material. We just could not go on with the misinformation that people are eating up. So to counter a lie you use a truth. Some industries will counter a lie with a lie, we will not. Now, in the behind the scenes world of the off road industry, we all know more then a few of each others suppliers. We learn things about our off-road friends and competitors just like they do about us. Some companies (like our friendlies) do not use this information to purchase the product for themselves or to "reverse engineer" and offer in a lower quality material at a cheaper price.

What if we took a Lefty and copied it but made it out of some "better" material? We'd piss off Inchworm and a whole lot of people. Now give it a few years and about 500 products later and all these "pissed-off" people will start to buy the :pokinit: because its cheaper. I was there before, during and after the "2005 tsunami attack" and loyalty is the continued support of our customers, forum members and friends who hold us to the high standards we set since 1994. While "other" companies have popped up in the last few years and have gained customers by wooing them away from quality and fair pricing to lower standards and the yuan. The result is a the Toyota after market is becoming the jeep after market.

Buy it to last. Buy it from a company that will last. Buy it because you are supporting the entrepreneur that started it as a dream to help others and not from a swashbuckler who wants to make money off these same people.

Turtle point for Dave!  :beerchug:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
hey BigMike

This would also be a good idea.

It would be interesting to see square tube tested, but I don't know of any company that makes them as a stocked item.  My buddy had a set made by ORS, but most of the majors use round tubing making it somewhat useless to spend the cash on.

P.S. My marlin bumper has taken a beating in Moab twice and once on the Rubicon and I can't seem to dent anything but the paint.  :thumbs:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile

P.S. My marlin bumper has taken a beating in Moab twice and once on the Rubicon and I can't seem to dent anything but the paint.  :thumbs:

Ive got a few dents in mine. But hit it pretty good
You'll never take me alive

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 409
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
I build all of my tube work myself and have used both hrew and dom. Of course its all USA stuff and Ive found DOM to hold up better to rock abuse than hrew. I find hrew will bend and dent much easier then the dom will.

I would really like to see these test results with USA DOM too but kudos to the work already invested in this demo to compare. I have heard alot of unhappy people with TG DOM saying it will not hold up

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
the only thing really bothering me is.... better than the competitor. It doesnīt seam to matter what the sliders or bumpers or what ever is built to protect.   are we talking about a 2 ton truck or 4 ton. to me it doesnīt matter if itīs dom or href,  I just need that slider to protect my truck.
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park

Dave,  that was beautiful 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
I got a little misty from that CruzrDave :rivers: , excellent quote!
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
the only thing really bothering me is.... better than the competitor. It doesnīt seam to matter what the sliders or bumpers or what ever is built to protect.   are we talking about a 2 ton truck or 4 ton. to me it doesnīt matter if itīs dom or href,  I just need that slider to protect my truck.

True it's there to protect the body. But thats not the only reason it's on the truck. It has also become a style and look that many people desire. Regardless if you think its there for just protection or looks, bumper and rocker guards that get bent from wheelin also dont work as well. Would you trust your bumper not to bend when Winch'in. Crappy materials = less strength = bent/dented tubes. Thats really all this thread is. If at some point you enjoy your rocker guards beat into your door to the point that you cant open them. Go ahead and buy TG.  :beerchug:

Tell us how long they last please.

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
True it's there to protect the body. But thats not the only reason it's on the truck. It has also become a style and look that many people desire. Regardless if you think its there for just protection or looks, bumper and rocker guards that get bent from wheelin also dont work as well. Would you trust your bumper not to bend when Winch'in. Crappy materials = less strength = bent/dented tubes. Thats really all this thread is. If at some point you enjoy your rocker guards beat into your door to the point that you cant open them. Go ahead and buy TG.  :beerchug:

Tell us how long they last please.

basicly thatīs the point I was trying to make. sorry how crappy my presintation was...
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

The reason you dont see any hate talk from TG on their forum is because no one is on their forum. Thus no hate is said. At 10:30 July 20th Sunday morning I was on the TG forum and the MC forum. 14 were on the TG forum  :sleepy: and 118 on MC's  :turtle3:. There's no hate there because there's NO ONE THERE. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

And you say Im following others, WOW if you knew your left nut from your right I may listen to you. But you dont, so don't go there FRIEND!

You know what I find really funny, the fact that 24hours after BigMike posted this topic on Pirate, TG came out with a new 1035DOM Bumper. :clap: :clap:
OH man if thats not truth in advertising...
So.let take it to the LARGEST OFFROAD WEBSITE then!!then everyone can talk there since not ALL Pirate members are on here..What do you say then???? Shall I start the talk and response on there?...Give me the word and I'll link it to here....

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got me thinking.........Everyone should just call it quits about one another before everything gets out of hand. ie (like that Rear Output Shaft that stirred up on PIRATE4x4, for the ones who doesn't follow......)

Although no Names are mentioned, for the smart ones, we know who i targets when advertised specifically...

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
So.let take it to the LARGEST OFFROAD WEBSITE then!!then everyone can talk there since not ALL Pirate members are on here..What do you say then???? Shall I start the talk and response on there?...Give me the word and I'll link it to here....
Got me thinking.........Everyone should just call it quits about one another before everything gets out of hand. ie (like that Rear Output Shaft that stirred up on PIRATE4x4, for the ones who doesn't follow......)

Although no Names are mentioned, for the smart ones, we know who i targets when advertised specifically...

Not worth it Camo and Steveh gt pissed at me for doing it

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I figured that......Just sayin...that outta be the site for any kind of comparing/discussion since everyone form ALL forums are on......And a site/forum where its not linked along with any manufacturer..

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I figured that......Just sayin...that outta be the site for any kind of comparing/discussion since everyone form ALL forums are on......And a site/forum where its not linked along with any manufacturer..

:shake:  It WAS on Pirate. WAS being the key word - proves that there are "links" or "relationships" with other manufacturers

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
:shake:  It WAS on Pirate. WAS being the key word - proves that there are "links" or "relationships" with other manufacturers

I was the one who posted it and I was the one who deleted it. So the crap you are spewing is hearsay

It still is on pirate in the fabrication material thread on the Toyota Board

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Any time negative press is directed at trail gear on Pirate camo and drm come to the rescue and start threatening people of being banned. Ask 4rnrrick if pirate is biased to Trail-Gear.

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Any time negative press is directed at trail gear on Pirate camo and drm come to the rescue and start threatening people of being banned. Ask 4rnrrick if pirate is biased to Trail-Gear.

That is not why he was banned for good, he was criticized by the rock brawlers, got mad, and thn started to delete all his posts and threads. He was then banned when they realized what was going on. So get that story straight too

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

Any time negative press is directed at trail gear on Pirate camo and drm come to the rescue and start threatening people of being banned.

My point exactly.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
basicly thatīs the point I was trying to make. sorry how crappy my presintation was...

Bazzi  :beerchug:

Hope I didn't come off to strong, maybe I mis read your post.