We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: We test Marlin Crawler's HREW vs. Competitor's DOM Bumper Steel  (Read 137087 times)

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
I ate pait chips as a kid so what
He/we will fix the bumper and it will be fine so everybody breathe in ......count to ten....wait Jerry keep it in till you see the light...... :slap:

Im perfectly fine and calm. Dont use my name again.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 362
  • Male Posts: 1,715
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
:eek:
sooooo.......yea.
at this point i dont care how it looks as long as its functional, and i can get my tail gate open. it doesnt have to be perfect its a ROCK CRAWLER, my brother has repeatedly stated that to me. and we all know what his looks like, hahaha, but it works, when it runs.....
When in doubt, skinny pedal!
Turd Box Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50894.0

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Im perfectly fine and calm. Dont use my name again.

JERRY92TOY....JERRY92TOY.....JERRY92TOY  :thpst: :rofl2:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
I declare that this thread will now be about this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eopJea-f6rY

Discuss.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I think that jeans and a vest are just not the right outfit to wear on the beach
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

abeer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I think it's a good video........ but its no Indian Thriller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJRNyPK-lc

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
I think it's a good video........ but its no Indian Thriller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJRNyPK-lc

A classic, BUT i raise you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozXQqAXUkHY

"5 seconds from now will be awesome with a slight chance of the best day of my life"
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

abeer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
"Airplanes is embarassed" and so am I. You win, sir.

mspry

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
Nice going! Its neat to see results like this.  :thumbs:

Now to play the devils advocate.  :flamer:
What if the dent or rock slides on the seam of HREW tubing? VS Seamless DOM?

I don't doubt that your steel is stronger but just thought I would ask. Don't worry every piece of prefabbed steel on my truck is from marlin and thanks cause Ive given them a beating!
Thank you for the excellent question. In terms of hardness, I would assume it to be much harder due to the tempering effects during the welding process. I will be doing some other tests in the up coming weeks and will revisit this question when I return to the lab.

My hypothesis: The welded region will be harder, but I wonder how the welded region will hold up while it is being deformed. After typing that last sentence I immediately wondered where that seam was during the crush test, so check this out:

you'll notice the seam is at the bottom. At first thought I wipe my forehead and say "whew" but as I ponder this more, I bet that due to the increase in hardness near the welded region, perhaps the material will be harder to crush if the seam was at 6' or 3'o-clock? This has definitely raised my curiosity!

This shouldn't even be a factor. This is a common misconception about DOM. Common DOM isn't seamless. It's actually just ERW which is drawn over a madrel in order to flatten out the weld inside the tube in order to obtain symetrical and consistent side wall. My point being that the DOM was also welded, so as far as temper or anything similar, they shoudl be equal. Here's a link that should explain it in much more detail. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659544

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
This shouldn't even be a factor. This is a common misconception about DOM. Common DOM isn't seamless. It's actually just ERW which is drawn over a madrel in order to flatten out the weld inside the tube in order to obtain symetrical and consistent side wall. My point being that the DOM was also welded, so as far as temper or anything similar, they shoudl be equal. Here's a link that should explain it in much more detail. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659544

mspry,

Thank you for this information. :thumbs: It only proves more the point that simply having a "DOM" product does not prove it is more dent resistant than a HREW product :yesnod:

BigMike

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
mspry,

Thank you for this information. :thumbs: It only proves more the point that simply having a "DOM" product does not prove it is more dent resistant than a HREW product :yesnod:
BigMike

I still say strength is all in the design.
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2010, 11:17:35 AM by junya92toy »
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
JERRY JERRY JERRY

:therethere:
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2010, 08:57:18 PM by 79coyotefrg »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
If this was anyone else it would get flagged but to a indifference on this board it wont.

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
If this was anyone else it would get flagged but to a indifference on this board it wont.
OMG Captain Obvious misused grammar     ^  now JERRY shouldn't that be "an"  instead of "a"
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
its not funny when its done to you is it Jerry.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

Yes, I absolutely agree with this point. Remember this thread is discussing the bumper material.

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
Mike, materials testing = awesome!  I'm thrilled to know that MC is putting out quality products, and I'm a big fan of made in USA.

As far as the competitor's material goes, I wish we knew the grade.  Reality is, that it probably isn't even the grade that they ordered, and it likely changes with every batch.

I think the real opportunity for MC is shown in your results.  You have better material that creates a better product.  The fact that it's HREW trips a lot of your potential customers up.  This is no longer an engineering exercise, it's a marketing battle.

I will explain.  People buy their GMC pickup with an Allison transmission, because they think it's better.  They are even willing to pay a substantial premium for it.  Most GMC customers have no idea what details make the Allison better than the other options, if they even know what the other options are [anyone know the name of the non-Allison trans off the top of their head?].  Do the same with your steel.  Give it a name, put it in the will, get it from a quality supplier with your own exclusive specs/heat treat.  Make it into something beyond HREW/DOM that no one else has, and is better than what everyone else is selling.  If you can set it apart in a meaningful, convincing way, you can then compete on quality instead of price. 

I think I'd leave the hornets' nest HREW/DOM thing on the table and run with the fact that your stuff is flat better.  It's getting late - does that even make any sense?

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
4130 anyone?   :eyebrow:

ToyotaObsession

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Very interesting thread. I like everything I've read so far. But there seems to be something people are forgetting. Were pitting a hollow tube of Steel against a dense piece of Solid Rock. Even it was made from Adamantium there would still be a weak link somewhere, a weld, a bolt, a sharp rock. In certain situations the rock is just going to win. They don't call it Sandcrawling.

I wasn't in either of those situations where the Bumpers bent. But they looked like they were impacted hard in one specific part.

I'm still learning a lot about these materials. But there's no way to be certain that DOM would have faired any better. From what I have read it's got a higher carbon content which makes it more brittle correct? Is it feasible to think that perhaps DOM might have cracked in a situation such as that? Where as the HREW would bend? I don't know honestly. I'm asking.

I've always heard nothing but glowing praise for all of  :turtle: products. Tough and dependable the way it should be. So I'm of the mind that even if the bent, a lesser product would have failed completely. Like I was alluding too earlier, nothing is going to go up against the rocks and come out unscathed after enough times.
Wait... What?

dirtybird

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
4130 anyone?   :eyebrow:
kinda pricey and and i dont think it bends very well.seems to crack first from what ive seen

dirtybird

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
im not a lawyer or anything but couldnt you take your test results and open a class action lawsuit for false advertising? seems it would make a lot more people mad and be much funner get em where it hurts!!!!! there chinese pocket!!!!!!!!!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
im not a lawyer or anything but couldnt you take your test results and open a class action lawsuit for false advertising?
I am sure you could... but this is a small industry and I'd rather invest time doing side-by-side product comparisons like this and like the many other comparisons we've done over the years. I feel there is more merit in being honest, upfront, and then showing results to back up what we say and do -- rather than pointing fingers at others.

When results speak louder than marketing hype, you win. A good example of this is how the same week I posted this comparison, the same competitor added the type of DOM steel grade to their website, claiming to use a very high grade DOM steel. There are three huge problems with this: 1) No iron yards that we know of carries that grade pipe steel, 2) Making changes to goods that are imported overseas takes months because you have to order in bulk to be price competitive plus it takes at least 3 weeks of transit time by boat, and 3) The steel they claim to be using has a very high carbon content which would make it more brittle than it already is.

We don't run our fingers down a SAE chart to the largest four digit steel grade and change our marketing material overnight. We sell what we advertise and sell what we believe truly works. We've been in business for a very long time and our reputation has been built on honesty.

Regards,
BigMike

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
thiss is what happened to mine this weekend out snow wheeling and got caught in the ditch and hit a stump.. didnt even hit hard iv dropped off rocks and beat on this bumper hella good all the time and never any prob... you can see the missing paint in the 3rd pic where it bent right wher the shackle mounts use to be
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
thiss is what happened to mine this weekend out snow wheeling and got caught in the ditch and hit a stump.. didnt even hit hard iv dropped off rocks and beat on this bumper hella good all the time and never any prob... you can see the missing paint in the 3rd pic where it bent right wher the shackle mounts use to be
I dont think its ever been said they wouldnt bend.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Awesome pics rockin86runner! Now you'll need to update your scale Crawler to match :yupyup:

I really like seeing our bumpers being used hard and protecting everyone's investment :thumbs: Thank you for posting up the pics!

Regards,
BigMike

mcharfauros

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Nov '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well this thread is dated, however very informative for people like me who never even thought about these factors. Looks like a lot of hours, research, and testing has been put into this, and definitely something I can appreciate.