We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: We test Marlin Crawler's HREW vs. Competitor's DOM Bumper Steel  (Read 136646 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Right on!!!

People need to realize that when one object collides with another, physics say that something MUST absorb the energy of that impact!!  In the case of a bumper attached to the frame of a truck,  it's the bumper's job to absorb that energy, if the bumper is so strong that it does not absorb the energy, it will transmit that energy to it's mounting point (your frame) and then guess what happens... that's right your frame absorbs that energy and gets bent up.  Of the three things that can get messed up from an impact (bumper - body - frame) I'd much rather the bumper give some, even to the point of rubbing the body, than my frame giving, because, and trust me on this one, when the frame gives, it's taking some body with it too, and then you wind up with a bumper that held up, but now you have frame AND body to fix.  All because you wanted a bumper that would not bend under any circumstances.

In summary, a really strong bumper is great, but it still needs to bend if it takes a hard enough lick.

Good post. I have a Marlin rear bumper on my 4runner. I run 35s. I drag ass a lot. Especially considering all my wheeling buddies run tires from 37s to 49s, I have to follow them through some wicked stuff, and off some big drop offs. I have slammed my rear end so hard that I was sure my bumper would be bent. Same goes for my sliders. They still look :boobs:

And that happens pretty much every time I hit the trail. I'm not saying they're invincible because nothing is, but I'm not worried about mine. I would love to know the specifics on how that bumper got dented so I can remember that for the future. So far my Marlin armor has more than proved itself worthy. My rig is still pretty clean sliders up. :gap:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
Cody's bumper in the above picture did not take a "impact" hit, He was just hung up on it. I would know because I was standing 2' from his runner when it happened. We didn't even notice until later that day. Especially since the bumper has a "tow package" built in it REALLY needs a couple center supports going to at least the stock spare tire carrier crossmember if not to something beefier.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
factory bumper towing on a toyota sized truck is around 3500, my trailer hitch is rated at 5500
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
factory bumper towing on a toyota sized truck is around 3500, my trailer hitch is rated at 5500

:whythis:

What does that have to do with anything in this discussion?

"bout tree fiddy"

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Someone said earlier that it needs to be beefed up for towing since it bent. I was trying to point out that in reality it doesnt take a lot of material to tow something. But it takes a lot to survive a big impact.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 362
  • Male Posts: 1,715
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
Cody's bumper in the above picture did not take a "impact" hit, He was just hung up on it. I would know because I was standing 2' from his runner when it happened. We didn't even notice until later that day. Especially since the bumper has a "tow package" built in it REALLY needs a couple center supports going to at least the stock spare tire carrier crossmember if not to something beefier.
it wasnt really all that impressive of a thing when it happend, you would think by the way it looks it would have been a "holy (poo)" moment, but i really didnt think anything of it, then when i saw it later i was suprised i did that much damage with what seemed to be such little of an impact. im hoping to flip it and try to bend it back a little so atleast the tailgate doesnt hang up on it. then i think im going to reinforce it a little more than what it is.
When in doubt, skinny pedal!
Turd Box Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50894.0

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
it wasnt really all that impressive of a thing when it happend, you would think by the way it looks it would have been a "holy (poo)" moment, but i really didnt think anything of it, then when i saw it later i was suprised i did that much damage with what seemed to be such little of an impact. im hoping to flip it and try to bend it back a little so atleast the tailgate doesnt hang up on it. then i think im going to reinforce it a little more than what it is.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Definitely helps prove my point and this thread got real quite all of a sudden.
You'll never take me alive

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input gentlemen. Definitely helps prove my point and this thread got real quite all of a sudden.

If I tweak it, I'll tweak it. I'm not worried though. It would be worth it to me to buy another one if mine gets bent. Saved my body more times than I can remember.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
cody lets heat it up with my tourch and chain it to a tree and pull out the dent and then we can support the center of the bumper :dunno:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
cody lets heat it up with my tourch and chain it to a tree and pull out the dent and then we can support the center of the bumper :dunno:
that might work, supporting the center is going to happen for sure
Turd Box Build:

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
You will weaken the steel when you heat.

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
as opposed to leaving it that way ???
except BACON

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
You will weaken the steel when you heat.

Holy  :censored:, we've got a genius here!!!

:woohoo:

"bout tree fiddy"

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
as opposed to leaving it that way ???

bend it back cold

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
bend it back cold

Have someone build a legit bumper.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Bending it back cold will not weaken it from annealing it. And it will make it harder to rebend it.

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
try bending this back
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=73135.new#new
i was just gonna flip it and use a hi-lift to get it as close as i could, then weld some more supports in
Turd Box Build:

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Bending it back cold will not weaken it from annealing it. And it will make it harder to rebend it.

well then I will give it an oil bath after we straighten it out, that should get it back to somewhat normal....:disturbed:
except BACON

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
try bending this back
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=73135.new#new
i was just gonna flip it and use a hi-lift to get it as close as i could, then weld some more supports in

Hot or cold you can never bend that back, it will be kinked or flattened from the first bend and simple rebend at that point. CUt and weld in new pieces of tubing.

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
just got to get it back so the tailgate opens like its supposed to
Turd Box Build:

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Id get some tubing, cut out the bend section and weld in new tubing, easier and faster.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Id get some tubing, cut out the bend section and weld in new tubing, easier and faster.
I have to agree on this ONE THING :rofl2: with Jerry,  unless you dont care how it looks then i'd tie it to a bridge or an 18 wheeler put it in 4 low and drive forward :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
And break something in the process... probably easier to do like jerry said, then you can overbuild it like it should have been in the first place  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
You're all thinking too much. bend it back a make it stronger. If it breaks while bending it back scrap the whole bumper and build or buy a new stronger one.

I wanna get this straight since nobody else has said it. I am not trying to diss on MC. Every company makes a few things that aren't worth a damn and this happens to be their product. If I bought this bumper I would add bracing to it before I even wheeled with it on my rig. I know I would taco the whole bumper beyond repair probably the first run out.

"bout tree fiddy"

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
The kinks in the tubing can not be bent back out.

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile

Quit stating the obvious! I know there's a lot of dumb ass people on this board but we know a few more things than you think...

Brock isn't a dumbass, He will try to bend it back and if it doens't get straight enough for him he will deal with it.

"bout tree fiddy"

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile

Holy :pokinit:. Did you eat paint chips as a child?

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I ate pait chips as a kid so what
He/we will fix the bumper and it will be fine so everybody breathe in ......count to ten....wait Jerry keep it in till you see the light...... :slap:
except BACON

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
P.S.

Brock isn't a dumbass, He will try to bend it back and if it doens't get straight enough for him he will deal with it.

:beerchug:
except BACON

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
He/we will fix the bumper and it will be fine so everybody breathe in ......count to ten....wait Jerry keep it in till you see the light...... :slap:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

"bout tree fiddy"