We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: New Competition Series Chromoly 4.70:1 Gear Sets!  (Read 8854 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
New Competition Series Chromoly 4.70:1 Gear Sets!
« on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
We have added yet another product to our highly successful Competition Series product line: 4320 Chromoly 4.70:1 Total-Spline Gear Sets!!

If you've been searching for a gear set strong enough for your skinny pedal, then look no further! The Competition Series 4.70:1 gear sets are cut from 4320 Chromoly Steel for the ultimate in strength and performance.

Marlin Crawler Competition Series, another reason why there is nothing else like a Marlin Crawler!

Here is a link to this product on our Online Catalog:
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/single/4701-competition-chromoly-gear-kit

Regards,
BigMike

EDIT: Updated the hyperlink, again :gap:
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2016, 12:41:14 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Sweet :bowdown:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Nice to see you guys are still improving on the current product line rather than letting it grow stagnant while you look to grow elsewhere!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
what material is the regular kit made out of?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
what material is the regular kit made out of?

Our regular gears are made out of 8620 alloy steel.

BigMike

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
I need to start making more money.  :down:   hahah.

Right on Guys!
I like to Drive!

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No offense but I've always come across products and insults about reliability from anything made outside the USA.Example CHINA springs VS USA springs....Now this product is made in JAPAN..Yes its not China but is there much difference?

I any difference from US chromoly VS Japan chromoly?

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
there is no comparison between China and Japan.

Japanese steel IMHO is the best steel out there.    Just look at their sword manufacturing techniques for the last 1000 or so years.

Look at the culture and systems of checks and balances that are prevalent in Japan.  Now compare that with china (A newly industrializing country)

I like to Drive!

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i believe both marlins gears are made by the same people..... so that isnt an issue, this was not a question of china vs japan.... already knew the japan stuff was good..... wanted to know the actual material... hmmm.... all the japanese cars are holding up fine here.... what are the chinese car manufacturers?

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Would you rather have a Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, etc. or would you prefer Geeley, Jac, Byd, Lifan, etc. (look them up, their Chinese cars)?
"between projects"

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Would you rather have a Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, etc. or would you prefer Geeley, Jac, Byd, Lifan, etc. (look them up, their Chinese cars)?

never heard of Geeley, Jac, Byd, Lifan, etc. probably a reason ;)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I do not claim to have all the answers to this, but I will answer your questions to my ability.

No offense but I've always come across products and insults about reliability from anything made outside the USA.Example CHINA springs VS USA springs....

I can understand that certain Chinese manufacturing techniques fall short to USA manufacturing techniques, but there is more to this than just that. I think it is fair to say that China is not a world leader in terms of manufacturing.

What is sad in my opinion is that American companies are sending over American manufacturing techniques to 3rd world countries where they are being replicated at lower costs --- techniques that countless American men have spent blood, sweat, and many hours of work over decades and decades of testing to achieve. Now all this hard and often proprietary manufacturing techniques are being sent over seas attached to Emails and are being taught to under developed nations in a matter of months.

Of course there are other factors of the lower costs besides cheaper labor, such as different taxes, different emission laws, different environment laws, different material handling and disposing laws, etcetera.

Granted I am 1) a young individual and 2) I have not studied international manufacturing relations, but I can speculate that the same must have happened to America in the past when Japan was developing it's techniques. Personally, in my eyes, it seems that in the 80s and 90s America just sat back and did nothing when Japanese automobile manufactures were building cars far superior to American cars. What the heck was America doing back then? Was this planned, was it planned for Japan to surpass American automobiles? I don't know.. Does the same apply to China? Is this being planned out? Is America allowing China to catch up to them? What about Germany? Did America "acquire" manufacturing techniques from Germany? I am sure there is a lot more to this than we will ever know..

Now this product is made in JAPAN..Yes its not China but is there much difference?

See, now you are comparing Japan, a nation with a fully developed manufacturing industry, to China, a nation with a developing manufacturing industry. I firmly believe that in general, Japanese products are made to a much higher standard than Chinese products. But as more and more developed nations are sending their manufacturing techniques to underdeveloped nations, I do believe that one day China's manufacturing ability will match the manufacturing ability of Japan/USA/Germany of 2009. The question is how long until this happens? And will China ever be at the forefront of manufacturing, such as USA, Japan, and Germany have experienced? This is to be seen.

I any difference from US chromoly VS Japan chromoly?

If the material has the same composition, then they are identical of course. However the performance of the material will vary depending on how it was annealed. I am not too keen on this, but I imagine different manufactures have their own process of altering the microstructure in order to develop the best material toughness and durability. Some might hold temperatures higher and longer, or may quench to a different temperature for a different amount of time. Each change in manufacturing process will yield a change in the materials performance.

For all practical purposes, I would expect Japanese 4320 to perform like USA 4320. They both would have to follow the ASME guidelines and make sure the composition is correct (otherwise it would be false advertising and misleading).

Regardless of the political mind games, if the material says what it is, tests like it should, and works as designed, then we ought to be able to say that 4320 Gears are stronger than 8620 Gears, stronger than stock 1045 Gears, and certainly stronger than other imported alloys which aren't even recognized by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) or the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) institute.

If those institutions don't recognize the material being imported, then why would you want to run it in your truck and get stuck somewhere in the middle of no where? That is why our parts cost more than other parts on the market. We do not simply charge more money, that is unethical and immoral.

I am really really trying to be careful what I write here. All I can say is you get what you pay for.

BigMike

EDIT: I should also add that it also goes beyond the material performance.
What about tolerances? If I send the same print to a Japanese manufacture and a Chinese manufacture, which one will produce a final product closest to my specifications? Of course you'd expect both manufactures to follow my specifications included on my print, but do they equally do so?

EDIT: I fixed the "3rd world counties" typo. Thanks CJ :rofl:
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2009, 08:37:43 AM by BigMike »

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
All I can say is you get what you pay for.

the regular 4.7 Marlin Total Spline of alloy steel is awesome...

this new Comp 4.7 Marlin Total Spline of chromoly steel is awesome, plus more :)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Ha, I completely forgot to advertise that these Competition Gears have been throughly tested for over a year in our sponsored V8 XXRA racer. I'll try to get that up later today-

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
there is no comparison between China and Japan.

Japanese steel IMHO is the best steel out there.    Just look at their sword manufacturing techniques for the last 1000 or so years.

Look at the culture and systems of checks and balances that are prevalent in Japan.  Now compare that with china (A newly industrializing country)

Do you know how long their superior sword making process is and its man hours? I don't think you have an idea PERIOD..Those process are not DEFINETLY applied in the making of this new product otherwise you will be paying top$$$$ for the gearset..

Most importantly, everyone cuts corners..You just dooon't know......................

And yes, all the true Japan made cars are still running flawlessly....

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
What metal are the crawlbox couplers made out of?

just curious where the weak link is now..........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

crazywb

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 467
  • Member since Jun '04
  • 92 Toy short bed
    • View Profile
Mike what's wrong with 3rd world counties.  :gap:
I'M BACK!!!!!!!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Do you know how long their superior sword making process is and its man hours? I don't think you have an idea PERIOD..Those process are not DEFINETLY applied in the making of this new product otherwise you will be paying top$$$$ for the gearset..
Most importantly, everyone cuts corners..You just dooon't know......................

And yes, all the true Japan made cars are still running flawlessly....

Yes I do have a clue.  thank you.
I like to Drive!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
What metal are the crawlbox couplers made out of?

All of our couplers are made from 8620. :bowdown:

just curious where the weak link is now..........

Probably still remains at the input, but we've solved this with the total spline, so it's probably the output flange, but we've solved that too with a 30-spline flange. Housings? Diffs? Axles?

Mike what's wrong with 3rd world counties.  :gap:

They don't have Marlin Crawler distribution centers :gap:

Ha, I completely forgot to advertise that these Competition Gears have been throughly tested for over a year in our sponsored V8 XXRA racer. I'll try to get that up later today-

As promised, here are some pics from our test rig. These Competition Chromoly Total-Spline 4.70:1 Gears have been going strong for over a year!! :bowdown: :turtle: :bowdown:

We've had our 30-spline HD output shaft, 25mm steering pin kit, and these chromoly 4.70 gears in service for over a year :thumbs:

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
those are amazing pics.  :hyper:   

thanks.
I like to Drive!

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sounds like its needed for someone whos gonna put their toy boxes behind a v6 or v8..........Never seen 4.7's ever break especially if its geared right all around meaning less stress in the tcase's..35' or 37's with 4:10's and duals may put more stress in the tcase than with 5:29's......

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
can you give us some specs on that buggy. what engine - what transmission - what axle radio....

I found those pics funny till the last 2 cause it doesnīt look like they are using the 4.70 till then ;)
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

gottoys2000

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just picked up a gear set from a guy that claimed that it is a Competition 23 spline 4.7 Marlin Crawler gear set.  It has MCDC on one of the gears. That is the only marking I could find.  Is there anything else I can do to confirm that it is in fact a competition Gear set?  Looks great BTW!
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2014, 10:43:32 PM by gottoys2000 »