Author Topic: 99 4Runner Sport - West Bound & Down  (Read 10371 times)

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
99 4Runner Sport - West Bound & Down
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »
So I got this 99 4Runner Highlander Sport for a daily driver...   :dunno:  

Anyway, of course I starting doing some mods.  I didn't see much info on 3rd gen 4Runners on here so I'm starting this thread.

Here is a picture the day I got it.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2009, 11:51:56 PM by DeMented Toys »
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 99 4Runner Sport mods
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »
First thing I did was order Old Man Emu N91S struts for the front and N86 shocks for the rear with some daystar 1.5" coil spring spacers to level out the back. 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »
Then I did the deckplate mod.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »
Since I have an off-road Toyota http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39009.0;highlight=punisher+yota
I think this 4Runner will make a good camping/expedition vehicle.

Today I finished up some low profile storage boxes for the rear.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:36:16 PM by DeMented Toys »
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »
More pics
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

84TanToy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -90
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:49:20 PM »
I dig the deck plate mod. I did that to a 3.4 tacoma with a k&n and it sounded really nice.   :biggthumpup:
My Wife Is Mean!!!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »
I really like your rear storage idea. How deep are those boxes?
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Ric

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
    • 6dgr
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »
nice rig, that how mine started out, lol heres a link to it http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2007/06/28/one-bad-1999-toyota-4runner/ thing drove super nice on the street, and would go just about anywhere  :thumbs:
Please Read This:
http://www.6dgr.com/6dgr_Explanation.pdf
If it gets your attention,
You can sign up at:
http://www.6dgr.com/index.php?mode=join&ref_id=11427

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »
I really like your rear storage idea. How deep are those boxes?
I made them 4" deep.  I wanted to keep them as low profile as possible.  I thought they turned out nice.  Thanks.

I was going to make two 42" long drawers that wulled out the rear, but I just didn't want to spend the $200 x2 for the 2 sets of drawer slides. I hinged the front and rear boxes so I could access them from the open rear window and from the back seat. I actually designed these boxes for gun/tactical gear storage. I wanted to be able to access the gear from inside the vehicle from the back seat or by rolling down the rear window without opening the back door so when I do have guns and tactical gear back there it won't be as visible to the general public. When I have cargo in the back the boxes will be locked up and provide secure storage. When I go to work or to the range then I can throw my tactical gear or range bag on top. When I get to the range or work then my gear bag is usually the first thing to come out, then I can close the back door and if I need to get stuff out of the locked storage boxes I can do so without drawing unwanted attention. 

When I am tailgaiting or camping the lid of the rear box with the piano hinge opens flat and makes a perfect table for drinks or food or whatever. I'm going to cut out some "beverage can" sized depressions in it with a hole saw to securely hold beverages during such activities.

I have less than $100 invested in making these boxes.  I put them together pretty fast beacuse I'm leaving for the Seattle area in a couple days .  I'll see how these work out and if I need to redesign anything about them I don't like or that I want to add or change I'll take some time and build a better set when I return home.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:58:09 PM by DeMented Toys »
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 07:38:31 PM »
nice rig, that how mine started out, lol heres a link to it http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2007/06/28/one-bad-1999-toyota-4runner/ thing drove super nice on the street, and would go just about anywhere  :thumbs:
Yeah I have seen that 4runner before somewhere on the web.  Sweet.  Yotatech maybe.  I really like the front bumper.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »
I'm going to probably go with TRD Tundra front coils and OME rear coils.  I don't want much lift and plan on staying with 265/75/16s for now too. 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »
I made them 4" deep.  I wanted to keep them as low profile as possible.  I thought they turned out nice.  Thanks.

I was going to make two 42" long drawers that wulled out the rear, but I just didn't want to spend the $200 x2 for the 2 sets of drawer slides. I hinged the front and rear boxes so I could access them from the open rear window and from the back seat. I actually designed these boxes for gun/tactical gear storage. I wanted to be able to access the gear from inside the vehicle from the back seat or by rolling down the rear window without opening the back door so when I do have guns and tactical gear back there it won't be as visible to the general public. When I have cargo in the back the boxes will be locked up and provide secure storage. When I go to work or to the range then I can throw my tactical gear or range bag on top. When I get to the range or work then my gear bag is usually the first thing to come out, then I can close the back door and if I need to get stuff out of the locked storage boxes I can do so without drawing unwanted attention. 

When I am tailgaiting or camping the lid of the rear box with the piano hinge opens flat and makes a perfect table for drinks or food or whatever. I'm going to cut out some "beverage can" sized depressions in it with a hole saw to securely hold beverages during such activities.

I have less than $100 invested in making these boxes.  I put them together pretty fast beacuse I'm leaving for the Seattle area in a couple days .  I'll see how these work out and if I need to redesign anything about them I don't like or that I want to add or change I'll take some time and build a better set when I return home.

Yeah that is actually what I was thinking when I saw those, a great way to store guns in a secure way. I also want something low profile that opens with hinges as opposed to slider trays for the same reason, I don't want to spend a lot of money on this project and access without lowering the tailgate is a must. I will definitely be referring to this when I build mine.  :beer:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »
Yeah that is actually what I was thinking when I saw those, a great way to store guns in a secure way. I also want something low profile that opens with hinges as opposed to slider trays for the same reason, I don't want to spend a lot of money on this project and access without lowering the tailgate is a must. I will definitely be referring to this when I build mine.  :beer:
If you have any questions I will do my best to help you out all I can.  I may put up a rough drawing with measurements if anyone is interested.  I'll at least get some better pictures.  Im going to put the grey closed cell foam in the boxes and cut out around my stuff with a razor knife to hold it all secure.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
If you have any questions I will do my best to help you out all I can.  I may put up a rough drawing with measurements if anyone is interested.  I'll at least get some better pictures.  Im going to put the grey closed cell foam in the boxes and cut out around my stuff with a razor knife to hold it all secure.

Sweet, that would be awesome man. Only difference is I have an 85 runner, but I think the dimensions are pretty similar in the back.

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
Sweet, that would be awesome man. Only difference is I have an 85 runner, but I think the dimensions are pretty similar in the back.
My little brother, well not so little anymore, has an 85 runner.  We may build something similar for his.  I think the 85 will actually have more useable floor space. 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2009, 10:55:40 PM »
I got a set of rear Old Man Emu 890 coil springs so as soon as I locate some Tundra TRD front coils I'll put them on.  In the mean time I just got home from 4 days in the Olympic Mountains and the Pacific Coast.  Here is a picture.  

Oh, I put my KCs on the front bumper too, so far so good.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2009, 11:51:09 PM »
So I flew to Philly to pick it up when I bought it, then drove it home to Southeast Missouri...  Then through Oklahoma, Texas and across New Mexico.  Then up through Colorado and back across to Denver...  Then up through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and across Washington...   :dunno:

Here are a couple more pics.  

This is my "West Bound & Down" pic, heading west into the Cascade Mountains...  Or was it the Rockies...?  It is either Montana or Washigton...   :headscratch:
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2009, 11:58:53 PM by DeMented Toys »
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 99 4Runner Sport - West Bound & Down
« Reply #17 on: Jun 21, 2009, 11:56:52 PM »
Here a couple od pics up in the Mountains of Northwest New Mexico
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »
So I didn a little write-up on how I made my cargo boxes.  It is on E-how is anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5123517_build-profile-storage-boxes-suv.html

Let me know what you think!   :eyebrow:
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2009, 11:50:17 PM »
So I didn a little write-up on how I made my cargo boxes.  It is on E-how is anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5123517_build-profile-storage-boxes-suv.html

Let me know what you think!   :eyebrow:
nice writeup. cover pretty much everything i think. :thumbs:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
nice writeup. cover pretty much everything i think. :thumbs: