Author Topic: Beware of Driverz Edge Warranty  (Read 9451 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Beware of Driverz Edge Warranty
« on: Feb 24, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
Just an FYI for those buying new(er) cars from dealers who offer the driver's edge warranty. 

I got this warranty when I bought my truck, it was at a discount when I bought the truck, and at that point in time, I didn't want to have do deal with fixing it myself (in my academy, living in an apt complex).  finally needed to use it, so I took the truck in today.  Well, Driverz edge only pays by check, and it takes 4-6 weeks for the check to be cut and mailed out.   ::)  Obviously a shop isn't going to release a vehicle they've done repairs on without payment, and the warranty company isn't going to mail out a check until the repairs are complete.  Needless to say, it leaves the purchaser of the warranty holding the bag, having to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed in 4-6 weeks.   :shake:  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a warranty to 1)allow the customer to pay a smaller amount for repairs and 2) keep the customer from paying a large amount of money out of pocket?  :dunno: 

If I'm way off I'll delete this post, and go on to lick my wounds in private.  I'm just a bit irritated right now, it seems as if I'm getting screwed over.  I can pay out of pocket, but I feel its the principle of the idea of a warranty to not have the customer do that.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of Driverz Edge Warranty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »
Go lick yourself!

Actually, I heard another warranty company advertising, and emphasizing, that you don't have to pay anything out of pocket (other than to purchase the warranty) for any covered repairs. I'm sure the reimbursement details are buried in the fine print, so...caveat emptor!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
Go lick yourself!

Actually, I heard another warranty company advertising, and emphasizing, that you don't have to pay anything out of pocket (other than to purchase the warranty) for any covered repairs. I'm sure the reimbursement details are buried in the fine print, so...caveat emptor!

thanks abnormal (had to go look up caveat emptor  :gap: )  Thats another frustrating thing, the contract doesn't say anything about time frame of payment, which the supervisor of the supervisor of the peon explained to me with a smug tone of voice.  :mad:  The contract does lead the purchaser to believe that the payment will be made at the time the vehicle is delievered to the repair facility, for the repairs to be made. 

I just found this little gem in the contract, I'm thinking I might be able to call them back and use it to get a little further?  :dunno:

The contract holder is responsible for paying THEIR DEDUCTIBLE as selected for each visit to the repair facility.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:40:11 PM »
:offtopic: what happened to the truck  :offtopic:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »
:offtopic: what happened to the truck  :offtopic:

ball joints on right side, alternator and water pump. 

-Ronald Reagan

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »
An extended warranty is hard to resist but usually all that other crap I.E. undercoating, paint protector, interior protector, locktronics, etc is a scam and or ripoff
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2009, 11:33:05 AM »
An extended warranty is hard to resist but usually all that other crap I.E. undercoating, paint protector, interior protector, locktronics, etc is a scam and or ripoff

Its not any of the other crap, its only the mechanical warranty.  :yesnod:  Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have gotten it, but because of where I was in life, I didn't want to have to worry about my truck, and I didn't have a good place to work on it, or time to do so.

-Ronald Reagan

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2009, 11:46:15 AM »
First, the point of an extended warranty is to make profit for the owners of the company.  Their goal isn't to server the customer.  Having said that, I had an extended warranty on my 200 SS Camaro, that I owned a few years ago, and ended up having the transmission and rear end repaired under that warranty.  The dealership worked directly with warranty company and the only downside that I found was the fact that they were not reponsible to replace with new parts.  In my case, they tried to located a transmission in a car with similar mileage to swap out.  I don't think all the companies work the same.

I know pet warranties are almost always 3rd party meaning that the vet doesn't deal with the warranty company.  You submit your final bill and hope for a check.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
First, the point of an extended warranty is to make profit for the owners of the company.  Their goal isn't to server the customer.  Having said that, I had an extended warranty on my 200 SS Camaro, that I owned a few years ago, and ended up having the transmission and rear end repaired under that warranty.  The dealership worked directly with warranty company and the only downside that I found was the fact that they were not reponsible to replace with new parts.  In my case, they tried to located a transmission in a car with similar mileage to swap out.  I don't think all the companies work the same.

I know pet warranties are almost always 3rd party meaning that the vet doesn't deal with the warranty company.  You submit your final bill and hope for a check.

I understand that.  As stated, under different circumstances, I wouldn't have gotten it.  But since I was living in an apartment, and going through my fire academy, I didn't want to have to worry about working on my truck.  I'm going to go back to the dealer I bought it from, and see what they can do for me. 

-Ronald Reagan

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
sounds like you got :bumpinbutts:  and it wasent even by BLF good
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »
I understand that.  As stated, under different circumstances, I wouldn't have gotten it.  But since I was living in an apartment, and going through my fire academy, I didn't want to have to worry about working on my truck.  I'm going to go back to the dealer I bought it from, and see what they can do for me. 

Don't get me wrong, I have an extended warranty on my Mazda so I'm not saying that there isn't good reasons to get an extended warranty.  I just know that the statistics show that they are going to make money on average and their goal isn't customer service.  Some are better than others and I'd suspect the price reflects this difference.  My current one has a $100 deductible and I got it because I'm driving a 1st year car with a high boost turbo.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2009, 06:45:44 PM »
The contract holder is responsible for paying THEIR DEDUCTIBLE as selected for each visit to the repair facility.

Won't get ya any where :twocents: cuz that all you HAVE to pay. won't get your truck back that day butt it's all you HAVE to pay.                                                                                                                                             

sounds like you got :bumpinbutts:  and it wasent even by BLF good

the best is always worth waiting for  :eyebrow:

Go lick yourself!

Abey!  :yikes:  that's what I'm here for. :yupyup:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2009, 10:36:09 AM »
Lame dude.  sorry to hear.
I like to Drive!

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2009, 12:11:55 AM »
Hope your backside don't hurt too much, and don't worry, one day you'll be able to hear yourself fart again.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!