Author Topic: toyota t-cases with a jeep tranny to get a dual setup on the t-cases?  (Read 35416 times)

AtTiLiA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Yotacrawl4x4.com !
    • View Profile
    • Newbie Wheeler
want to know if you can do a toyota dual transfercase on a 1997 cherokee sport 4.0L automatic trany and if not is there any way to do a dual t-case setup with a toyota tranny hooked to my jeep engine???????????????????

putting the jeep inline 6 4.0 into a buggy of some sort and want either a automatic or a 5 speed dual t-case setup.

since yall know marlin and use his adapters i thought u guys might know what adapters i could and could not use and what trannys might bolt up

my tranny is 23 spline
91 Ext cab SAS
Front Dana 44 arb and 5:13's
Rear 14 Bolt with some locker that came with it and 5:13's

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
the jeep AX15 and R150F are both made by aisin and have the same tranny-to-bellhousing pattern.  however, i think the input shafts don't match up, but i've heard you can swap one for another.

and as we all know, the R150F can be adapted to dual cases  :biggthumpup:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
You may not even have to worry about the input shaft. I dont know this for sure, but if the center section is the same, then you could use the tail housing from the Turbo's R151F (1986-1987 Turbo 4cy Toyota 4WD) which has the needed 6 bolt pattern of the RF1A (gear drive t/case) and then your set for everything bolt-on from Toyota and Marlin Crawler.

I will ask Marlin to check this out later-
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

AtTiLiA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Yotacrawl4x4.com !
    • View Profile
    • Newbie Wheeler
thank u thank u and also ohh ya thank u.

this is what i wanted to know.

this is my friends project and we are sorta stumped on what fits and what doesnt.

he really wants the dual-tcase and gear reduction with all the luxuries of multiple gear options.
91 Ext cab SAS

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Kyle_22r is right again :beerchug:

I have put a Marlin dual case behind a AX5 [G54/58 Toyota] Jeep trans by changing the output shaft and tailhousing from a Toyota doner trans.

This can also be done to a AX15 [R150 Toyota].

The Jeep auto should also work as long as the output shaft and rear housing is changed from a Toyota trans.

In the past years, I used to get a lot of calls from Jeep owners wanting to go slow like the Toy trucks. Since I was so busy, I directed the calls to Mepco and Klune V.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

AtTiLiA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Yotacrawl4x4.com !
    • View Profile
    • Newbie Wheeler
91 Ext cab SAS

Greg55_99

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Some from Michael Jamison:

"Not sure who was looking for this info, they signed as guest, but here is some info if you can set aside your pride of having Toy parts in your Jeep. But it really is a good way to go.

If your AX5 is crapping out every 15,000 miles and you are tired of rebuilding and want a nice front axle too this is for you.

A toy 5 speed tranny will bolt right up to the AX5 bellhousing with no mods. You take the input shaft from the AX5 and put it into the Toy tranny to retain your correct length input. It is about an inch difference.  The Toy input bearings goes on the AX5 shaft.

Your stock clutch will work with a Toy pressure plate. slave cylinder is on the opposite side, but otherwise bolts right up, THe speed sensor bolts right up.

You will have to make a custom crossmember. but it is possible to get it damn near flat belly with minor cutting of the tub. driveshaft will be a little short in the rear, but with a standard ujoint shaft it is livable. you have plenty of gearing options for the t case. 4.0, 4.7, 5.0.

You will also have to swap out the front axle to passenger side drop. Been looking at those Scout 44 axles for a swap. Now you can do it.

This all came about on what we did to a buddy of mines YJ.
Trany was shot. He wanted a buildup anyway.
Toy tranny and transfer. Scout 44's 4.88's spool and Ox locker. flat belly sping over and 36's. Worked out pretty good and still works well.

Best of all he has a tranny that will outlast the Jeep."
1999 Toy Corolla for the commute 

Michael Jamison

http://www.JamisonWorkshop.com

Also from TMF on the Pirate Board:

"My friend Mike Jamison had an old W56 trans sitting in his shop. I was on my third AX5 and needed something stronger. Both the AX5 and the W56 are made by the same company (Aisin) . Long story short you use the bell housing off the AX5 and bolt it to the W56. I took mine to a trans shop and had them change the input shaft from the AX5 to the W56 (you can not do this on the turbo trans) they had to grind the case a little to get it to fit. I have had it for a year and no problems. It is also nice running the toyota transfer case

Can you verify this info Marlin?

Greg

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Marlin :bowdown:   oh the possibilities,   cherokees the world over will have the 4.0+jeep auto+toy tcase+toy front axle,  they cheroyota will be UNSTOPPABLE
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

irishracer34

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Oct '05
  • i am the best i've ever had!
    • View Profile
    This is all very interesting to me.    I think i really like the idea        let me know how everything works out. 

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
will this also work with older jeeps ? I have a Jeep scrambler with 4speed stick! how can I if at all do this ? maybe cruiser parts? :smack:  (I need to stop hitting  post when i want to preview)  :hammerhead: what i was saying because they are similar vehicles is there someway to adapt cruiser parts or any Toyota parts for use in a jeep scrambler
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2005, 10:25:53 AM by rockscrambler »
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

AlaskaToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
  • Alien Containment
    • View Profile
Edit:  Mis-post
1-ton Toy

SnailMan

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
o0o0o0o i know what im gona do. i LOVE the I6 from chrysler torqe ou the rear end. But toyota has the market on trannys and there axles are pretty much the same as a D44 so id be the CheroGOD lmao thanks guys i didnt even ask for the info but man did i need it lol
Low And Slow The SnailMan Goes

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
curious fill us jeep peep in if you go through with it and it works..

wondering if it's possible on a wrangler??
maybe a BIT of modifying the drive shafts.. but that would teh be ultimate cralwer..
wranger with teh ultimate cases.. that's a miracle!!!
Jeep

ori

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
I think I'm going to try this I have a 93 YJ with a 4.0 and no trans, T-case or axles and I have an 85 4runner that is rusted out. Stretched wheel base toy axles and dual cases with the Jeep 4.0 should make a nice rig.

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
going back on the previous 2 posts..
I think I'm going to try this I have a 93 YJ with a 4.0 and no trans, T-case or axles and I have an 85 4runner that is rusted out. Stretched wheel base toy axles and dual cases with the Jeep 4.0 should make a nice rig.
i don't think this could happen.. the rear drive shaft wouldn't really fit. The YJ is too short of a wheelbase, and the two transfercases, wont fit. Go with a geared down t-case, the 4.0 is easily enough power to get up and going.
Jeep

ori

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
The YJ will have a wheel base somewhere between 100 and 104 when I get finished. It should have enough room. I've got an 03 TJ that I have stood up on the spare tire more times than I care to think about so I figured on this one I would go longer.

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
go for it!! do a build up thread on here. it'd be cool to follow!!
Jeep

RyanXJ98

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 59
  • Member since Oct '05
  • :pokinit: just gets worse!!!
    • View Profile
has anyone gone any further than just thinking about it?
It may not be the end of the world.... but it may be the end of all hope... F' it can't turn around now.

ori

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Well I ended up going a different route after I found out that a 2.5 bellhousing won't bolt to a 4.0. :shake: I got a smokin deal on a nvg241or rubicon case and an ax 15 tranny so I'm going to run a 4.0 ax-15 231 box4rox and a nvg241or hp D44 front 8.8 rear 37" red label crawlers :thumbs:

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Male Posts: 231
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
has anyone gone any further than just thinking about it?
X2!
I'm pondering this but I want confirmation it will work first before dropping $$$$$ on parts.

ori

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
If I can find a R151F tail housing and output shaft I'll try and swap it into my ax-15. Does anyone know if this will work for sure?

MT4Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
  • FToy 086
    • View Profile
AX5:G54
AX15:R150/R151

Does the W56 have a Jeep equivalent?

poriggity

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
I'd like to see someone do this as well. Toy cases are so plentiful, I've given thought to running toy axles front and rear, with at least 1 toy case (maybe two if I can extend the wheelbase) behind my TF999 auto trans... I have a lot of projects in my head though :lol:

I think I just have too many vehicles, and too much time to think about it all.

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
hmmm.... i guess you could go the other way to and put the 4.0 in your yota, i love the torque those things have. the 22re is much of a torque master. you could have slightly higher gears and let the torque crawl and hit the gas for some wheel speed when you need it. my problem is that its geard so low that when i need wheel speed ive got to hit another gear which stops my momentum.

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Kyle_22r is right again :beerchug:

I have put a Marlin dual case behind a AX5 [G54/58 Toyota] Jeep trans by changing the output shaft and tailhousing from a Toyota doner trans.

This can also be done to a AX15 [R150 Toyota].

The Jeep auto should also work as long as the output shaft and rear housing is changed from a Toyota trans.

In the past years, I used to get a lot of calls from Jeep owners wanting to go slow like the Toy trucks. Since I was so busy, I directed the calls to Mepco and Klune V.

Marlin
Marlin or Bigmike please help

with this trans would you not have to use a different type of tcase than a topshift?  I am about to use the r150 tailshaft and output shaft on my ax15, but I want to use a top shift t case

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
You'll have to use a top shift.  Either run the chain drive t-case that goes behind the r150, or buy the adapter for the R150 to gear drive t-case.  Either way, you have to run a top shift t-case :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Mac5005

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 307
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Black Listed
    • View Profile
    • NC4x4
i had been thinking of running the setup of my 4.7 I6 stroker, ax15 front half, toy rear trans case and output shaft, doubled toyota gear drive cases.......however, a friend of mine had the toy tranny and gear drive case behind a mild 305 ( if you check both motors when ran on the dyno, the 305 made less power and less torque than my stroker) he kept blowing the inputs on the toy case.  So what i have sitting in the garage as of now.... is ax15, np231 crawl box(box4rocks) mounted to a Dana300 with 4.1 gears.  I havent broke the input ever on the 231, and i dont think ill break a 300.  I have been through ALOT of parts for the ax15, but replacing parts is cheaper than buying a nv4500 outright.  Anyway, this will give me a crawl ratio of 224.19, which is alot better than my ratio of 47.9 as of now, with the ax15 and stock geared 231.  The crawlbox overall length is around 8 inches, and the 300 is roughly 8 inches shorter than the stock 231 with the slip yoke.  Everything bolted together is only about 1.25 inches longer than the stock 231 was.  But since i am moving the rear axle rearward, then my driveshaft length is allright.  And since you can flip the dana 300, it is possible to still us a driver side differential alxe in the front if desired, however i will be going with a pass drop axle.  The crawl box can be used in front of anoher 231 tcase as well.  Didnt mean to hijack the thread, or to turn any business away from marlin by any means....just wanted to let you kow of more options incase you are worried about running a higher powered engine in the future.  And with the way the wheeling goes over here in the east....i need the power and the strength.   

I just wish marlin had a crawl box setup for the 231, so that i could buy it from him, instead of any others, bc i KNOW his setup would be better engineered than anyone elses
YJ - 4.7L-Ax15-D300(4:1)-D60/14B, lockright/spool 5.38's, 108" WB, 42" SX-2's

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
lots of people run marlins cases behind a lot bigger v8s than a 305 and have had no problems with strength issues
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i had been thinking of running the setup of my 4.7 I6 stroker, ax15 front half, toy rear trans case and output shaft, doubled toyota gear drive cases.......however, a friend of mine had the toy tranny and gear drive case behind a mild 305 ( if you check both motors when ran on the dyno, the 305 made less power and less torque than my stroker) he kept blowing the inputs on the toy case.  So what i have sitting in the garage as of now.... is ax15, np231 crawl box(box4rocks) mounted to a Dana300 with 4.1 gears.  I havent broke the input ever on the 231, and i dont think ill break a 300.  I have been through ALOT of parts for the ax15, but replacing parts is cheaper than buying a nv4500 outright.  Anyway, this will give me a crawl ratio of 224.19, which is alot better than my ratio of 47.9 as of now, with the ax15 and stock geared 231.  The crawlbox overall length is around 8 inches, and the 300 is roughly 8 inches shorter than the stock 231 with the slip yoke.  Everything bolted together is only about 1.25 inches longer than the stock 231 was.  But since i am moving the rear axle rearward, then my driveshaft length is allright.  And since you can flip the dana 300, it is possible to still us a driver side differential alxe in the front if desired, however i will be going with a pass drop axle.  The crawl box can be used in front of anoher 231 tcase as well.  Didnt mean to hijack the thread, or to turn any business away from marlin by any means....just wanted to let you kow of more options incase you are worried about running a higher powered engine in the future.  And with the way the wheeling goes over here in the east....i need the power and the strength.   

I just wish marlin had a crawl box setup for the 231, so that i could buy it from him, instead of any others, bc i KNOW his setup would be better engineered than anyone elses

:thumbs:  good stuff!  He actually wound up going a different way with his rig, he's back to a full toy, including 22re, but this is good info :yesnod:

lots of people run marlins cases behind a lot bigger v8s than a 305 and have had no problems with strength issues

:dunno: some people do, some don't.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent