Author Topic: New Toyota Dana 60 - A Hybrid like no-other!  (Read 36804 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
New Toyota Dana 60 - A Hybrid like no-other!
« on: Apr 30, 2002, 07:09:46 PM »
The time for those searching hopelessly for a more affordable anti-birfield/anti-dana44 solution has finally come.

Specifically targeted for those who already have a factory Toyota live axle front end (any year hilux), Marlin Crawler is proud to announce the Hybrid Toyota Inner/Dana 60 knuckles/Toyota Outer Front Axle.

Toyota OUTERS: Our hybrid features genuine Toyota spindles/rotors/hubs so you get to use your factory brakes/calipers/hubs. :drool:

.....more to come later with full pictures. :drool:

That's sweet!
BigMike
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 1969, 04:00:05 PM by -1 »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Loco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Apr '02
  • Turtle Crawlin'
    • View Profile
Re: New Toyota Dana 60 - A Hybrid like no-other!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 03:12:28 PM »
Wow, looks sweet.  When is production?
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1056988800 »
Adaptor #476
Gearset #647

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Marlin Crawler Toyota/Dana 60/Toyota Hybrid
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 08:30:24 AM »
Here it is, the only hybrid Toyota/Dana 60 front end that features Toyota outer as well as Toyota inner parts.

This hybrid is not only intended for live axle swaps, but is also highly focused for those who have a right/hand drive live axle front end already in use!

Why you ask? Because this hybrid uses factory Toyota outers (spindles/rotors/calipers/hubs). So those who currently already have a live axle in their rig can swap and use their parts over again without having to purchase expensive brake components (new pads/new rotor/caliper/brake fluid). Infact, you may not even have to bleed your brakes(!) if you already have a live axle installed (custom or factory).

For those who are swapping from an IFS, we have live axle outer parts on hand ready for use, so you don't even have to go to the wrecking yard.

On to the picutres!

Large (27k): http://../web/dana60/219lss.jpg

Notice the factory Toyota hubs/rotors. In this case, Marlin has factory Land Cruiser rotors (vented) installed.

Large (28k): http://../web/dana60/218lss.jpg

Here, the calipers are seen (again, vented).
Now Marlin is using these L/C vented rotors, but they have the same mounting points as the factory solid (non-vented) hilux rotors and calipers. So all factory parts will be swapped over to our Hybrid axle and used over.

Large (40k): http://../web/dana60/210lss.jpg

Large (41k): http://../web/dana60/211lss.jpg

Here are shots from the front with his 35" TSL Swampers mounted.
I'm sure you've noticed the HySteer setup / Our HySteer is included with the kit.

Large (41k): http://../web/dana60/212lss.jpg

Large (42k): http://../web/dana60/214lss.jpg

Here are shots of the back side (under the truck).
Marlin is running a high-pinion front differential with an ARB locker and 5.29:1 gears. Your factory diff will bolt directly into this kit. No modifications are required regardless of what gear ratio or what locker you may have.

Large (39k): http://../web/dana60/216lss.jpg

Here is a very nice shot showing the Dana 60 knuckles with the factory Toyota outer parts visible.

Large (38k): http://../web/dana60/228lss.jpg

As this kit is using obviously larger and stronger joints, like wise it uses larger and stronger knuckles. Now a problem arises: Ground Clearance. Shown above is a vertical picture of the amount of ground clearance that will be traded for almost unbreakable strength.
The amount of ground clearance lost has been limited to the fullest with out kit. You get the extreme strength of a full size joint, without the loss of very important ground clearance.

Large (48k): http://../web/dana60/230lss.jpg

Finally, this is a shot of the factory hubs. From this picture, NO ONE would ever guess that it has a Dana 60 behind that tire!! Using these strong factory hubs and Toyota outers, your wheel size and lug nut pattern/count will all be compatible! Also, a Toyota hub has a much lower profile than a Warn or full-size hub, hence, you retain the clearance that these tucked away Toyota hubs offer!

There are some obvious questions like what's it going to cost, when is it available, how wide is it. Expect the cost to be approx. $2,999 and it will be available this summer. The width? We can custom-build it 58-65 inches wide.

Since I forgot, I suppose I'll mention, we will offer  optional axle upgrades -- for the same price -- to custom 35-spline inner axles. The standard inner axles will all be 30-spline Chromolly!

If you came here from the link on the main page, here is a way back:
http://www.marlincrawler.com

Regards,
BigMike

crawling82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '02
  • mc08 #004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 06:16:13 AM »
So when do I get one.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Red Monkey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since May '02
  • When in doubt gass it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 03:24:03 PM »
Big Mike,  
I have modified my front housing for a Toyota electric locker.  Will the D-60/Yota housing come modified or will I have to modify it if I decide to go with the a MarlinD-60/Yota.  Man it looks good.  Marlin was telling me about it several months ago.  I'm happy to see it will be on the market soon.  Good luck!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2002, 08:10:37 AM »
Hey,

I have alot more info and pictures from MOAB! The Hybrid did excellent!

I will post it all up tomorrow... You don't want to miss out on the new information either!

Mike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2002, 07:33:55 PM »
Goodevening..

The trip to Moab was very exhausting to say the least, but we got some trail time on the new hybrid!

What a difference. The turning radius has been hugely improved, the stance and feel of the vehicle has been hugely improved, and the axle took some serious abuse without even breaking a sweat. It felt very solid and it is soo relaxing not having to worry about axle failures.

Now for some more info:
Red_Monkey: If you sent us your housing, we could put our knuckles on it within one week and have it shipped back. However, at this time, we are not sure if a 35-spline side gear can be made for the e-locker.

Now as far as the kit being from a company named 'Redline' or Keith, no, it is absolutely not from them or him. However, the initial castings of the knuckles were done by Keith. We buy these knuckles direct from the foundry and then we have precision machine work performed by a professional machine shop. Marlin himself has been to a drawing board with his machinist and numerous updates have since been done to the original castings. So, no, nothing is coming from 'Redline' or from Keith. The only outside source for us would be the machine shop. We will be warehousing the axle parts and jigs, and will fully assembly 100% of the Hybrid under our own steel roof.

Now I didn't emphasize enough on the optional 35 spline (1.50") inner axles. They offer a large strength increase over the smaller 1.31" 30 spline axles. But this upgrade is only compatible with V6 or high pinion housings. We are not turning them down to a weaker 30 spline. Instead, Marlin takes a 35 spline axle, shortens/resplines (still 35) the long side to the customer's order with the short side almost untouched. This is possible because of Marlin's stronger knuckles being 1.5" narrower than a production D60 (on each side). At this time, Marlin has the inner side gears machined by EDM to accommodate the much larger 35 spline axle. This does not effect its through-heat treatment. So rather ARB or Detroit makes their own side gears or we do what we are doing, the strength of the gear will be the same. And the outer stub-axles are also 35-spline Dana 60 axles that are shortened and splined to accommodate the Toyota hubs.
So plainly put, our inner axles are the strongest of any Hybrid. And it's a Dana 60 for crying out loud!

Knuckles: The knuckles are designed to be shorter and stronger than all others giving us the advantage of a narrower width. Some one asked this on the pirates board, so I'll mention that the top ball joint is off a Dana 44 with caster and camber adjustments, and the lower one is from a Dana 60.

Axle tubing strength: We are slipping a huge 3" and very thick inner axle tube completely down the inside of the Toyota housing, on both sides, and welding it in place. This provides super heavy duty rigidity and strength. We are not 'gluing' any seal housing in place. And again, this is all done from a special jig designed in conjunction with a professional machine shop, professional machinist, and Marlin himself. These are all assembled by us in our own shop.

Please feel free to ask me any more questions.
Regards,
BigMike

yota83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Member since May '02
  • hammer down !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2002, 06:46:32 AM »
its good to know about the new dana 60 kit.. i was just about to swap out my stock yota"s for dana 44's and wasnt to exided about that. i think ill have 60's now!!!
do we have a more exact date as to when it will be on the market?

i cant remember!!!!!

CRAZY PEOPLE ARE NEET!!!!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Time
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2002, 08:38:46 AM »
I'm not sure about an exact date yet.

Marlin told me last weekend that we have 5 units currently being built to Marlin's specfication at an aerospace machine shop and that we will get them in about 3-5 weeks. So around a month (this being one week ago). However, I will need to ask Marlin again to see if this is still the schedule.

Also, once we get these first 5, we will acquire all of the components and machinery needed for us to build them on our own.

Can't wait to get them! They are so much heavier duty than anything else! The look so awesome!

In addition to my last post, I forgot to add that our Knuckles are narrower and hence stronger from them being so stout and they allow us to make a the narrowest D60 hybrid available in the world at 58 inches wide. All while being stronger  :.order:

Regards,
BigMike

crawling82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
  • mc08 #004
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2002, 11:38:53 AM »
I'm tring to stay all toyota I know that might sound gay but that's what I like kind of a personal challenge. I know that there's no way I will be able to compete with brif's plus I like the drop in toy thrid member's so I think all be running one of these soon.

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2002, 11:40:42 AM »
drop in is definately a plus that is for sure
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2002, 11:46:35 AM »
Not knockin marlin but wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a 60, and then narrow and shave it?

One reason is that you will not be able to "shave down"  ??? a Dana 60 to 58 inches as we can build it. If you could, then it would probably cost more than what we are offering, especially including the time and $ needed for such an idea.
Another could be that from ordering a product from a company, certain warrantee and service privileges are expected that you would otherwise not have.
Another could be that the factory hubs are narrower allowing more clearance around rocks.
Another could be an aftermarket steering system is included in the price that you would be left on your own if done yourself.
Another could be that our axle tubes are stronger than a Dana 60 because we use inner axle walling as well as outer axle walling.
Another could be because we are running 35-spline axles into 4cyl pumpkins that you would have a very hard time doing on your own.
Another could be our steering radius is better than that of a dana 60 because we are utilizing 100% of the knuckles turn-in angle where stock dana housings do not.
Another could be the much greater amount of ground clearance that the Toyota differential provides in comparison to the dana 60 housing.
Another could be the lighter weight advantage that the Toy diff provides to that of the dana 60.
Another could be the ability to use your stock brake components over again with out needing to replace anything.
Another could possibly be the ability to use your same leaf springs over again if swapping from a Toyota live axle front end.
Another could be using any locker and gearing that you already have purchased and setup in your rig right now, including any aftermarket differential drop out such as a High pinion, or a Turbo or a V6 (all stronger than stock) housings.
Another could be retaining the same driveline that you are using right now in the front end. Especially if it is an aftermarket driveline that you spent good $$ for, such as a high angle drive line. And the flanges would all be a direct bolt on since you are retaining your housing.
Another could be the ability to use your same and existing wheels and tires over again since you would be using the same Toyota spindle again. You see, on stock dana 60s, they use a wheel stud pattern that is not only larger, but sometimes a different stud count number. Also, The outer diameter of the dana 60 hubs are larger than the inner diameter of factory hubs--and hence your wheels--so you would have to replace your wheels as well which is even more $$. Furthermore, the brake calipers may be to large to even fit the wheels that are used for toy axles.
Another could be that you can use any leaf spring flip kits right over again since the outer diameter of our hybrid is the same as factory housing since it is a factory housing.
Another could be that since the factory toy housing has a smaller O.D. clearances around or near objects, such as frame walling or engine oil pans on some buggies or engine swaps would not be effected whereas dana 60 pumpkins are much larger which would not only lose ground clearance, but also clearancing above and around the housing itself.
Another could be that since the toy housing O.D. is smaller, a higher lift can be achieved without the top of the spring pack coming into interference with the bottom of the frame rail, thus not limiting your trucks ability to flex, or articulate.
Another could be that we can build these at custom lengths for what ever width you want between 58inches and 65 inches respectfully.
Another could be our ability to disconnect the entire wheel assembly with the removal of 4 large bolts. This gives you quick easy and instant access to the axles that a factory dana 60 would not provide.
Another could be that from the side, the truck looks stock with the stock hubs in use. People would not know that you had almost a true bullet-proof front end in service.
I could probably go on and on, but I think I have given enough reasons to satisfy your buds.

Marlin Crawler Dana 60 Hybrid. Totally Awesome  :)

Regards,
BigMike

havis

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2002, 09:21:16 AM »
This looks very dool-worthy...can it be done with a TLC front axle housing?  Or would I be better off using the hilux housing for the better clearance?  
Scott Havis

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2002, 07:28:32 PM »
This looks very dool-worthy...can it be done with a TLC front axle housing?

Mr. Havis, how's it going? I think I have meet you. The name sound very familiar and I remember Marlin speaks kind words in your name.  8)

Right now as I type this, yes at midnight, Marlin is driving by himself and is almost to the California - Oregon border by now. He is heading up to the aerospace machine shop to pick up all of the tooling and jigs, along with 5 or 6 completed units to bring back down. And to give you something to  :drool: over, we have already brought in a couple of LC front ends and will be tearing them down in preparation for some D60/Toy knuckles to be fitted on and aligned.

So to answer your question YES! we will be offering this for the cruisers as well!

But of course more info on the LC won't be available until we get the first ones finished and tested out.

Until then, goodnight-  :sleeping:
BigMike

Dirtbag711

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '02
  • Noble Grand Humbug ECV Pair-o-Dice 711
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2002, 03:48:15 AM »
looks real nice i'll have to give some thought to this

cpg33@attbi.com

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2002, 03:13:30 PM »
Cost ?????

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2002, 06:38:30 PM »
If all goes as planned: just under $3k  8)

Regards,
BigMike

spanky

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2002, 03:46:16 AM »
:moon:I'm droolin'!!! When can I get it?
scaler de piedra

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2002, 06:28:55 AM »
Right now as I am typing this Marlin should be within the Californian border with 6, that's right, 6 Hybrids and about 150 t/cases and some other assorted parts and jigs. Oh and about 10 knuckles and tubing so we can get started building them in our shop. BTW, the 6 coming were all assymbled and built at an areospace machine shop who makes pieces for boweing.  :drool:

My advice: Call tomorrow and order one! (559) 252-7295  :love:

Regards,
BigMike

crawling82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
  • mc08 #004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2002, 10:22:39 AM »
Make that 5 one's going under the blue buggie. :laugh: :laugh:
Does'nt that sound nice toy dana 60 hybrid under the buggie. :moon: :moon: :moon:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2002, 04:51:50 PM »
yeah john your only :moon: if you don't use one under that buggy.

Machine_shop

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2002, 03:07:50 AM »
What a week-end Marlin and I had working on the final details of the Hybrid. Things came together very well, and should produce a great front end.  This 4 X 4 world is sure different than the aerospace industry that I have been involved in for the last 30 years.  But we used all that experiance to make the front end consistant and very easy to assemble. FYI-most of our work goes directly to Boeing.  We specialize in gears and spline parts and I have assembled major gear box assemblies for both Boeing and the military.  This Hybrid was planned and fixture to the same standards.  If you have any improvement suggestion, let us know.  Although we tried to cover all the bases there is always room for improvement.  This is my first posting to introduce myself and to let you know how the front end from my point of view is progressing.

Ron

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2002, 05:08:37 AM »
Hey Machine_shop  :bowdown: ;D :bowdown: :greengrin: :bowdown:
Put other people needs before your own and you will be a wealthy individual

Ron

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2002, 05:14:40 AM »
BTW Machine_Shop Marlin got in around 9:00pm last night.  He brought home 150 T-cases and more alot more product material.  He was pulling in his truck and trailer 18240 lbs.  He really enjoyed seeing you.  Going by my discussions with you and the infor Marlin just shared with us here all we've got to say about you is this:  "YOU ARE THE MAN!!!" ;D :greengrin: ;D :greengrin: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Ron 8)
Put other people needs before your own and you will be a wealthy individual

4xfusion

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2002, 03:48:55 PM »
I picked up a D44R to replace a Toy High pinion 85 diff I have now, But I am geared with 5.29's and I am looking at the finished cost here. I was going to go with 4.88 F&R with an ARB, Warn axles and CTM's. That puts me at $500 for the diff rebuilt, $400 R&P's, $625 arb,$250 CTM's, $250 set up kits, $500 Warn axles and $125 to redo the drive shaft=$2650 total. Then everytime I need spare axles and CTM's that an additional $750. The problem I see is with the D44 is all you get is a set of broken 30 spline expensive Warn shafts. I keep hearing people say "go D60". Yea right! Nothing beats a 60,,,but the rocks your trying to get over against the housing. :mad: And can you say "HEAVY!!!"
What I want to know first is what a spare set of axle shafts and U-joints is going to cost and do I have to come to you to get them?
Second, I know a factory Toy V-6 thirdmember is stronger than a D44, but can it hold up to a 35 spline shaft? I am not sure but I think the carrier in a V-6 is the same size as a Ford 8.8 and 9 inch isn't it?
Third what is this "quick axle replacement" design?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2002, 03:28:27 PM »
Hey fusion, thanks for your post. To answer some questions, no you don't have get replacement axles exclusively from us. All the shafts are is a factory set of Dana 60 axles cut to length. And the u-joints are spicer 5-332x dana 60 shafts.
A Ford 8.8 diff does have the same size carrier as a V-6 Toy. Even though the 8.8 R&P is larger in diameter, the Toy pinion shaft and bearings
are much larger and stronger than a Ford 8.8. Just ask a R&P shop which
gears get warranted more. You will hear a Ford 8.8 everywhere you go.
The quick axle access comes from the special innovative brake and spindle adapter. There are only 4 9/16 (14mm) bolts to remove, just like a Ford F450 unibearing uses, but our adapter entails the caliper bracket enabling the brake caliper to come off with the wheel and rotor, unlike a Ford Factory outer
knuckle. That means the Tire and rim do not even have to get pulled to gain access to the axle. We even tried how fast this process is and had both
axles and Third member out in just 5 minutes flat!!!  :o 8)

Regards,
BigMike

HighToy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • River City Rock Crawlers
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2002, 05:05:10 AM »
WElcome to the world of 4x4 machine_shop which you will soon learn translates to $X$. If you get into it that is.

:greengrin:

4xfusion

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2002, 01:00:29 PM »
That sounds cool :bowdown:is anyone that you know of going to be competing in any rock crawls with your Hybrid this year? Also I heard rumors that Mosier has Alloy 60 shafts now. Are you going to offer a 30 spline version of this? I don't expect the strength to be the same as a 35 spline axle but I would like to prototype run some Mosier shafts since they are new. I can allways upgrade to 35 spline later can't I?

trt2

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Marlin is the Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 05, 2002, 08:20:10 AM »
swweeeettt!
Tony
Round Up M.C.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 06, 2002, 07:34:03 PM »
Hey Guys!

We will have the first two Hybrids done tomorrow I believe!!!  :drool:

Dan has been working hard on them, and we even set up a separate bench for him to work on them all by himself (also gets him away from the rest of us :P).

I took some pictures, but left the camera at the shop! [homer]doh![/homer]

I will be doing a write up for it on the Main Page shortly after we get pricing and availability from Marlin of which I believe he will work out tomorrow.

Regards,
BigMIKE!