Author Topic: Looking for the easiest Most Powerful Toy Engine/Auto Trans Swap into my Sammy?  (Read 4460 times)

Blanco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
I was about to go with a VW Diesel, Yet think a bigger Toy would be better for me considering I love to play in the Mud!

But I also want to swap to an auto Trans & figure if I go with a Toy Engine & Trans I will be able to keep my drive shaft in line as the Toys do.
Vs, the factory Offset rear axle that Sammys come with, & then dealing with the Vibration issues that are connected to the Off set angle of the drive shaft.

What it really come down too, is I need the power to play in the MUD & still be nimble enough to play in off camber rocks.

Looking for ideas?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
a stock 20R or 22R  would be  enough to  send the sammy  rocketing thru mud

my only concern with running a toyota  auto tranny would be the length, 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Blanco [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
well to be honest, I'm considering either a Toy Engine drive train or a FORD 2.3.

What ever makes the most sense, Or what ever might be shorter :confused:

But I do plan to extend the wheel base to about 108 at some time in the future.

& by the way, How do I add my own pic to my Avatar?  ???

al76

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
well to be honest, I'm considering either a Toy Engine drive train or a FORD 2.3.

What ever makes the most sense, Or what ever might be shorter :confused:

But I do plan to extend the wheel base to about 108 at some time in the future.

& by the way, How do I add my own pic to my Avatar?  ???

i believe you need a few more posts like 15 or 20
F**k Idacurt

wflaw45

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
the 22re/auto tranny/t-case setup from pulley to output flange is the same length as the sammy pulley to t-case output shaft due to the intermediate shaft in the sammy. i believe the measurement is within 1/2 an inch. my dad is doing the same swap into his sammy right now while swapping in Toyota axles at the same time

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Don't even mess with the 20/22R series motors. Go straight to the 2rz/3rz if you want a 4 banger. If that 150 hp isn't enough - The go with 5vz 3.4L (190HP) V6.... If you want to get crazy with a turbo (240 HP +) then a 7MGTE is where you want to go, but I doubt you can fit that under the stock sami hood and grill. Personally I don't like the 7M's, no low end torque for crawling and picky head gaskets!

I'd recommend a 3rz - then again I'm bias..........

zooky

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
if you decide to go automatic you can use a 2wd transmission and make an adapter to install a gear driven T-case to it, mine came out 1/2" shorter then the stock sami drivetrain. With the 2wd auto there is no computer or electronics to deal with if you run a carb or propane or want the gear driven case for the 4.7 gears.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
you could also get a 16 valve 1.6.  makes good horsepower for a 4 banger.  you can get an addapter to a toy tranny also.