Author Topic: Marlin and James, Rubithon FrankenSpring Repair  (Read 4214 times)

DaveInDenver

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Marlin and James, Rubithon FrankenSpring Repair
« on: Jul 26, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »
Lurked for a while, first time posting...

Wanted to give props to Marlin and his man James for the HUGE help they gave me out at the 2008 Rubithon. :thumbs:

I snapped 3 of 4 leafs in my spring pack by the time I got to Rubicon Springs, which put me in a bad situation.  I broke the lowest leaf in the pack on day 1 getting to Buck Island (not sure when) and being careful I got all the way to just before the mud hole coming into camp at Rubicon Springs.  I mean doing Gas Can Hill, Big Sluice, etc. by being super gentle and careful is tough!  But the main leaf and the one below the second leaf snapped on pretty much the last climb.  I was left with only the military wrap spring.  Talk about flex!

So I limped into Rubicon Springs and was stuck, no luck by Toyoda Man Larry or Mog Crew Phil or any of the other super helpful guys cruising around finding any sort of third gen springs (mine's a '91 XtraCab).  But they did come up with lots of second gen stuff.  But 2nd gen rear leafs being 4" shorter and having the center pin in the wrong place was a problem, I needed at least a 3rd gen main spring to locate the axle right.  So James' welding and all of Marlin's advice and help, well they saved my bacon!  THANK YOU! 

Now some photos.

Assembled Frankenspring.  It was my welded main, still OK second (military wrap) spring, then below was a 2nd gen third spring and overload.  On top of the pack was a cut up second gen main spring (I cut the bushing eyes cut off).  Put a new center pin through the whole thing, closed the clamps and added a couple of additional clamps at the welded area.

Yes, the center pin is upside-down.  I didn't notice until AFTER I'd peened the nut down.   :smack:  So I filed the nut shoulder down a little and it dropped right into the spring perch.

James' welded section.  Lasted from Rubicon Springs up Cadillac and off the Rubicon.  Then it made back to Denver.  Then it lasted another month of me commuting to work and stuff.  Heck yeah, awesome job guys! :bowdown:

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2008, 03:49:05 PM by DaveInDenver »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:welcome: to Marlin

yep thats Marlin for ya
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
X2  :welcome:
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
Welcome aboard... 
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
now thats a hybrid pack if i have ever seen or heard of one

hahahahahahaha... but glad to hear your good and okay   :welcome:

DaveInDenver [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Thanks all for the welcome.

There was a lot of finger crossing setting out from Rubicon Springs to Cadillac, but after a few minutes and hearing no bang, I relaxed a little.  Lasted another month before I finally got new springs put on last weekend, so it was solid.

now thats a hybrid pack if i have ever seen or heard of one

hahahahahahaha... but glad to hear your good and okay   :welcome:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I sometimes wonder if Marlin's type of relaxation is rebuilding junk on the trail, you'd think he'd get sick of it and not want to be the 1st one to jump up to fix something.  :thumbs:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Dave, thanks for the kind words....

I have lent a hand to many broken rigs through the years, but it is always great to get a thank you in return.
Glad you made it home in one piece.

Just a side note
James Atteberry AKA craftsman, is a commercial door contractor, a great welder, fabricator as well as a close friend.
Like me, he enjoys helping others on the trail, and at times will go out of his way to make the finished job look great. I have watched him finish grinding the welds on a frame repair, just to make sure there were no slag pockets. I was concerned that he had gone too far when he ground the welds completely flat on your leaf spring, and thus making it thinner and weaker then stock. But as time would show, the Premier Power welds were up to the test.

I love 7018 welding rod!

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Dave, thanks for the kind words....

I have lent a hand to many broken rigs through the years, but it is always great to get a thank you in return.
Glad you made it home in one piece.

Just a side note
Like me, he enjoys helping others on the trail,

Yup that's what I thought.  :thumbs:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you