Author Topic: Mini Truck Spare Carrier  (Read 35205 times)

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Mini Truck Spare Carrier
« on: Apr 07, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »
This Thread is Featured in our Tech from our Forum Members section!

A couple members on the board wanted a build thread for a couple spare tire carriers I built so here it is. If you'd like any more info feel free to ask.

'84 Mini

'83 Mini

Materials Used:
• 1.25" Sch 40 Pipe (24')
• 2" x 1/8" plate steel (2')
• 1/16" wall 1.5" sq. tube (2')
• 5/8" x 4" grd 8 bolts w/washers & nuts (2)
• Mini truck spring bushings
• 1/2" x 1.5" bolts w/washers & lock nuts (3)
• used mini truck brake rotor

Cost:
Most of the stuff I used I had lying around with the exception of the sch 40 pipe and the bolts. That being the case the cost for me was relatively low.

• $70 for 32' of pipe (have extra)
• $10 for the bolts, washers, and lock nuts.
• $20 welding wire
$10 cut off wheels
   $110 Total

Most of the other stuff you should be able to find cheap or free if you don't already have it sitting around somewhere. My suggestion to keep the cost down is take what you have and make it work for your application.  :twocents:

Build:
As this is basically a build to fit project and there aren't any real complicated part to figure out or fabricate i'll just give an overview of the main idea.

I started out with the part of the carrier that bolts to the bed and is the hinge for the gate. Reason I did it this way is that if I were to make separate hinges for the gate that just bolt to the bed itself it would not be able to support the weight that it should. The frame strenghens the bed and allows you to put the hinges anywhere you need them.

For the frame I just cut the horizontal pipe to fit within the span of the bed, and the uprights cut to length from the bottom of the bed to the bed rails. I did 45's at each end but i've been told that if I coped them it would be stronger. The two that i've built have been strong enough the way I have them so to each his own.

Bed side mounts:

Lower mounts:

For all the mounts to the frame I used the existing bolt locations for the tailgate hinges, and the latches on the sides. I used the square tubing I had to make these brackets. You could also use angle iron for this as I cut the square tubing along 2 opposite corners to get the same effect. I folded the ends up to box them in and bolted them to the bed before tacking the pipe to them.

Next were the "hinges". Made tabs for the frame from 1/8" plate and then cut pipe to fit the bushings. I assembled the hinges w/the bushings, bolts, and tabs before tacking them to the frame to make sure they were the right spacing apart as well as high enough to get the nuts on. On the 83 we used some bushings we found at kragens. They weren't very long but fit the tube diameter perfectly. On the 84 I used the spring bushings and I would go this route if I did it again. They allowed for a little more tube to be used and the tollerance between the hinge tabs and the tubing wasn't so close. They didn't quite fit tight enough so I ran some welds inside to hold them in better.

After the hinges were tacked into place I measured, cut, and notched the lower bar for the gate.

Then I had to decide on how large of a spare I wanted it to be able to carry. Both that I built will hold an aired up 36" tire. Then I chose the angle if any that I wanted the spare to sit at on the gate. Decided to slant it about 45 so the top hoop had to go out from center about 12" to matche the 12" in separation between the hinges.

I chalked out on the ground the layout of the upper hoop.

After I got the measurements I wanted I marked a center point and the center points for the bends at both ends.

I used a HF pipe kinker so I also marked a center point on the die I was using to line up with the lines marked on the pipe. I know this isn't the best way to do it but with what I had available it worked great and used this method for both. I got the bender for $40 on sale so adding that to the cost if you havn't got one bumps it up to $150. Still not bad I think.

From there is was just bend, pull out and check, and bend some more until it fit the chalk. If you use this pipe bender go slow, if you go fast you'll flatten out the bend, trust me on this one.  :smack:

Once the hoop is the shape you want, notch it and tach it, I made sure I supported the hoop at the level I wanted with a small jack until the center support was tacked in to place.

At this point I havn't got any pictures of the different pipes I cut and put on. It's up to you on how you want it to look. I started by supporing the corners down to the center and then went from there.

The spare mount was the final and easiest part. I welded in the bolts to hold the spare down to the rotor then bolted it to the spare. Sat the spare on the carrier and positioned it where I wanted. I measured the distance I needed for the support tubes, cut, notched, and welded them to the rotor. I set it back on the carrier along the center pipe where I wanted, made it level with the carrier and tacked it.

Made sure I test fit everything before fully welding all the joints. Then pulled it all off the truck and burned it all in making sure to remove the bushings from the gate before hand. Let it cool down, knocked off the spatter and used a flapper disc to grind down some rough spots and then it was good to go.

If you get your hinges aligned and take your time, you'll easily be able to flip the gate from inside to out when needed. One end of the gate gets bolted and the other can be pinned. I havn't got the pins for mine yet but i'm planning on using tractor pins chained to the gate frame.

Finished pics:

'83:

'84:

This is just an overview of what I did. There's a bunch of different ways it could have been set up from the hinges to latching it to mounting the spare etc. etc.. If you want any more details on anything for the way I did it let me know, i'm sure I left a few things out.

Was a nice project and i'm very happy with the end result.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009, 03:55:49 PM by BigMike »
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

Homefries

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Truck Spare Carrier
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »
Great write up and it looks sick.  This should be made a sticky.   :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »
hell yeah, looks like a damn good idea!! nice work!!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
:thumbs: great job!!  That looks awesome, and the writeup is great :yesnod:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »
wanna build one of those for a 3rd gen :-D
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »
i like that
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

844x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:03:38 PM »
This is such a great write up!  I have been planning on building one of these too!  Your build really helped me out with the biggest problem I had, figuring out how to make the hinges!  I also like how it bolts in to  the existing holes.  I was thinking of using angle for the supporting frame then tubing like you did for the swing out.
Which bushings exactly did you use?  And what size was the pipe?
It takes a long time to achieve "instant" success.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »
so when will these be avaialble for sale? and how much? :gap:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
This is such a great write up!  I have been planning on building one of these too!  Your build really helped me out with the biggest problem I had, figuring out how to make the hinges!  I also like how it bolts in to  the existing holes.  I was thinking of using angle for the supporting frame then tubing like you did for the swing out.
Which bushings exactly did you use?  And what size was the pipe?

1.25 sched 40 pipe
mini truck bushings from kragens, and spring bushings
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »
Nice!  :clap2:  Looks good!  :beerchug:

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »
That is freakin nice!!!
'04 Taco DC 4x4

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
WOW thats sweet..................

one ? the HF bender worked on it's side  :headscratch:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Talon84x4 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »
WOW thats sweet..................

one ? the HF bender worked on it's side  :headscratch:

It works both ways, it's got spacers welded to the top on one side so that it will sit level when layed over. Had to use it on it's side or the tubing would have lifted it off the ground after bending so far.
Central Valley Crawlers

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2008, 11:45:21 PM »
Just like downtown...nice job!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

844x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2008, 11:52:42 AM »
1.25 sched 40 pipe
mini truck bushings from kragens, and spring bushings

So the bushings are not for a specific vehicle, So I can just go to Kragen and ask for minitruck bushings?  Or are you referring to spring bushings for a toyota pickup?
It takes a long time to achieve "instant" success.

Talon84x4 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »
So the bushings are not for a specific vehicle, So I can just go to Kragen and ask for minitruck bushings?  Or are you referring to spring bushings for a toyota pickup?

The bushings used on the carrier on the 83 we used some bushings we found at kragens in the isle, we don't know what they were for and they weren't spring bushings but they fit the diameter of the pipe perfectly. We did not ask for toyota pickup bushings from the counter because we figured they'd be more than we wanted to spend. We tried to save as much money on the project as we could.

The carrier on my truck (84) I used some bushings from aftermarket lift springs I had in my backyard. They didn't quite fit the diameter of the pipe but a couple tacks on the inside of the pipe fixed that issue. I'd say just use what you can find that will fit but if you wan't to spend the money and want to use bushings i'd go with the spring bushings.  :twocents:

Hope that helps
Central Valley Crawlers

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
so when you going to start making these and how much? :gap:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Talon84x4 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:02:18 PM »
so when you going to start making these and how much? :gap:

There's a problem with that. I had drawn up the plans to make this thing on paper a while ago but never had the motivation to make it until recently. Between that time and now "tiregate" came out and i'm pretty sure they probably have some sort of patent on them, even if it's just a spare carrier that's been on many production vehicles just with an angle on it.  :dunno:

I will be making a couple more for some guys in the club i'm in, one like the carrier shown and a straight one for a 4runner. I don't think I can sell them though.

Just looked at the prices of the "PreRunner Series Tiregate" for small/mid size trucks and I saved $685.95 making mine myself.  :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2008, 04:15:59 PM by Talon84x4 »
Central Valley Crawlers

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »
yea, they do have a patent for it...just keep it low-key and dont make a website nor advertise youre making spare tire gates :)
pm or email only service mwahaha

64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

solar86yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Solar-Rockin' the IFS till it dies!(Then it sits)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2008, 10:04:37 PM »
Wow, great job on the tire carrier! and don't worry, your secret's safe with the  :turtle3: Board!!!
By the time I get the money for an SAS I'll be 65 at this rate!

Talon84x4 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 20, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
The carrier that was on my truck now has a new home on another 83 mini in our club and is off to be tested at rubithon.

I'm working on designing a new one that will come out and down for ease of loading. Don't have a set plan yet but it should work with standard width beds as well as dovetails.  :think:
Central Valley Crawlers

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Jun 22, 2008, 12:01:25 AM »
what year runner you makin it for? and how are you plannin on doing it?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Talon84x4 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 22, 2008, 01:04:04 PM »
what year runner you makin it for? and how are you plannin on doing it?
It's an 84 I believe but i'm not sure when i'll be doing that one, i should know by the next club meeting.

He wants a straight one with no slope to the spare. His tailgate mounts are a little different so i'll have to see what I can do when i take a look at it.
Central Valley Crawlers

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Jun 22, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »
i was hopin it would be for a 2nd gen runner so i could get some ideas for mine... it would still be kinda hard to do for a runner at all though...
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

Talon84x4 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 22, 2008, 01:14:37 PM »
i was hopin it would be for a 2nd gen runner so i could get some ideas for mine... it would still be kinda hard to do for a runner at all though...
For a DD perhaps, his is exo'ed and open year round just about so a tube carrier in place of his tailgate isn't going to bother him much. I think it could be made to work with any gen pickup or runner, you build to fit your application. The way I did it for the mini trucks is just one of many.  :twocents:
Central Valley Crawlers

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Jun 22, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »
i see, i think im gonna try and make one flat with a kickout on each side to clear the stock tailgate, its gotta be operable fro me as aDD

steveco.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:38:47 PM »
looks great! reminds me of a prerunner style rear bumper..
Let's put a smile on that face!

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
« Reply #27 on: Sep 29, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »
would this still look good if you built this  same style tube gate off a rear marlin bumper?

64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

Talon84x4 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »
How do you mean? The way these ones were built they attach to the bed at top and bottom. If you were to build one off the marlin bumper, I'd use one of those bearing type swing outs, think you can buy just the swivel part and build off that?  :dunno:

I just tried to build off the bed as I didn't have a bumper to work with. Anything is possible.
Central Valley Crawlers

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 01, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »
I'm in the process of building one for my 85 runner, and have been for about a year now. It's amazing how easy it is to get distracted with other projects. I'm using the Marlin bumper as the base, then making a hinge point on the passenger side. I'm planning on using trailer bearings in the tube so it will open smooth. I've built a C shaped clamp for the drivers side which will hold it closed. Thinking about doing a spring load type deal to prevent rattling. I've got some pics, and was planning on doing a write up like yours, but as distractions keep mounting, I'm having  a difficult time getting back into the project. Hopefully soon.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!