Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 713159 times)

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #900 on: Jan 31, 2005, 11:22:01 PM »
School IS more important  :yupyup:

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #901 on: Jan 31, 2005, 11:23:30 PM »
Mike D who's car in your avatar ???

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #902 on: Feb 05, 2005, 09:17:56 PM »
A car off auto trader that i was dreamin about bet ya don't know what it is  :headscratch:
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: Feb 05, 2005, 10:19:58 PM »
Kinda looks like an old Lotus maybe???      Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #904 on: Feb 06, 2005, 07:35:57 AM »
a lotus or really old lamborghini
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #905 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:18:38 AM »
Is it a Pantera?
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2005, 04:25:18 AM by 03HDFATBOY »

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #906 on: Feb 06, 2005, 12:55:09 PM »
So this is what you guys do to stir Big Mikes studying?

Actually, I use to be a mechanic at a packing company. One of the sons of one of the owners had a black Pantera he use to drive to High School. I use to service it for him. Its kind of cool, with the engine in back, you just have to be careful when filling the fluids, especially when adding coolant, the radiator is right behind the rear window, so if you spill some, it falls all over the exhaust.

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #907 on: Feb 06, 2005, 03:19:22 PM »
yeah its a 72 De Tomaso Pantera  :love:
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #908 on: Feb 07, 2005, 04:24:43 AM »
yeah its a 72 De Tomaso Pantera :love:
Dam I'm good. I new that B-cuz it's one of my favorite carz

ksto

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -28
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: Feb 12, 2005, 05:48:24 AM »
sweet wish it was mine

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: Feb 13, 2005, 10:10:46 PM »
yeah its a 72 De Tomaso Pantera  :love:
Guy named "Guy" lived in Marietta GA where I am at. He was a De Tomaso importer for the eastern US for a long while in the 80's. He managed to get some Long Champs into the US and I managed to get a ride in one. http://www.panteraclub.com/longcham.htm Might be a dozen in the US.

While looking for those pictures I found reference to about 4 of them in the US. One is in TX and was converted into a convertible. It was Mr's De Tomaso's personal car at one time.  As odd as this is The guy who owned it worked for Schlumberger who is a company that makes high end Electronic testing Equipment and their German offices were heavily involed with the development of GSM, TDMA and CDMA wireless technologies (cell phones). I had a class with a Malcolm Oliphant just before the Olympics came to Atlanta that guy would have had to worked with the Malcolm.

Anyway the one I rode in was Black. Also had a couple rides in some Pantera's he had as well. Pretty entertaining cars.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #911 on: Feb 27, 2005, 09:56:04 PM »
Hey guys,

Just as a heads up for now, I have no plans on working on my truck until this semester finishes in late May. But, once I go back to full time work in the summer, I plan on spending the month of June working on a 3RZ conversion into Marlin's 1980 Crawler truck. I want to get his truck ready for Rubithon, the last weekend of June. So I'm not sure if I will have any time to work on my suspension before Rubithon, so I may just go to the con with my truck the same way as it is right now, except I'll try to get some bumpers and nerfbars on first..

So I most likely won't have any real updates here until July or so... and just to let you know, I plan on building a low pressure Supercharge system for my engine. I'm thinking either a Toyota SC14 unit or an eaton blower, and I'll just run a pulley ratio to achieve about 5 psi max with a water/alchol injection system. That's gonna be fun  :disturbed:  :yesnod:

The truck is running really good. I still have some leak from the rear of the engine and I know its not the pan (as I've resealed it) so I'm sure the rear main seal is leaking. One of these days I'll need to pull the drivetrain out and replace that little bugger.

Hey, has anyone had any problems when switching to a full synthetic engine oil in terms of leaks just "occuring" ? I want to run some Schaeffer's syn oil, but I'm worried that the extra cleaning power will turn my slow oil leak into a niagara falls..

Cya
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: Feb 28, 2005, 11:24:27 AM »
Mike-

If you already have some "seepage" from the rear main area, I'd suggest not switching to synthetic oil until you get it fixed.  In MY experiences, yes, you will have the niagra falls of oil leaks.

:beerchug:

Ryan

Study hard and get thru the semester!  Only a little longer!
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: Feb 28, 2005, 02:05:29 PM »
May is just around the corner buckle down and get thru...Look forward to seeing you at the con....I know I didnt build mine like we talked about, but it will still be nice driving our own trucks not passenger in our dads. Besides you dont thik I am just going to leave it the way I got it...I got to add my own style :flamer:  :flamer:

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: Feb 28, 2005, 04:32:46 PM »
yeah the synthetic will loosen things up more than they already are. Also, given the cost of synthetic, if you're loosing as much as a quart between oil changes, I'd rather pay $1 rather than $5 to replace it.
"between projects"

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: Feb 28, 2005, 06:17:33 PM »
The cost issue is a good point, but I was thinking I would go like 7k or 10k miles on the same oil while changing my filter 2 or 3 times, maybe 3k and 6k respectively.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #916 on: Feb 28, 2005, 06:24:28 PM »
wish we could get a drag race befor you go BLOWER
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #917 on: Mar 01, 2005, 03:50:38 PM »
I've been running syn for a year with no problemo.  Then again my main seals aren't leaking.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 302
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since May '04
  • Toyota owns 51% of Daihatsu Motor Co, Ltd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: Mar 21, 2005, 05:40:12 PM »
BigMike,

I hope to be done by the end of the month or the first part of April.  You asked about it in another thread and I didn't want to hijack that one like I got accused of hijacking this one.  I deleted all of my BS posts on this one and just kept those relating to the 3RZ.  I will post in the Reader's Rides forum when I am done.

After months of looking (not very hard) I found the aluminum plug for the new dipstick.  The plug was under oil and dirt next to the drivers side engine mount.  This is for the conversion from the taco to the T100 oil pan.  I didn't get the union driven all the way in yet in the pic.  I have no idea what the bracket on the dipstick tube bolts to but will probably just make a bracket and bolt it to the intake manifold.

Now I have to get that plug out of the oil pan and plug the hole in the front.
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:53:35 PM »
Nice work. I forgot that you were looking for that, I really should have just taken a picture of it or something..  :-\\

Hey, I dont mind at all if you post updates in this thread, its all related to the 3RZ so don't worry about it!

BigMike

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: Mar 27, 2005, 09:22:30 PM »
when i bought my new oip pan they gave me a flat square plug and some screws to plug a hole in the driver side upper middle part of the pan. i was under the impression that that was for the dipstick but looking at this  pic is goes in the block.im confused.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:58:25 PM »
Mike-

Concerning your thoughts about oil change intervals-  I just got done pulling the heads off a 30,000 mile 2003 Avalon at work today because they were full of sludge.  The owner only changed the oil 4x in 30K miles.  (Thats 7500 mile oil changes!) Now granted they were probably using crappy pennzoil and all, but modern engines (even the 3RZ) are suceptible to oil sludge issues due to tight tolerances and increased operating temperatures.  For what its worth, it's MY OPINION (and that of other Tech's at the dealership) that you can't go wrong with the old 3 month/3000 mile oil change interval, regardless of what oil you use.  Simply changing the filter will NOT stop the sludge from developing.  I know that high-quality synthetic oils don't break down as fast as conventional oil and all, but its so cheap to use a good oil ( I like Valvoline plain-old conventional 10/30, cause it comes outta the pump at work for free...) and a good Toyota filter ( NO FRAM CRAP!) and just change it a little more often. 

I've worked on engines belonging to people who use Amsoil/Shaffers/Mobil1/whatever and go for the extended change interval, and they're definitely not as clean inside as those who change it more often. 

Just my  :twocents:

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: Apr 03, 2005, 05:30:21 PM »
when i bought my new oip pan they gave me a flat square plug and some screws to plug a hole in the driver side upper middle part of the pan. i was under the impression that that was for the dipstick but looking at this pic is goes in the block.im confused.

I don't know what the hole in the side of the T100 oil is for...an oil heater?  Mine didn't come with the cover and gasket so I made one.  I butchered the mount on the dipstick tube and mounted it to a threaded hole under the intake manifold.
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: Apr 03, 2005, 05:38:26 PM »
BM,

I did drive it on Friday around the building.  Still don't have a functioning clutch so I started it in Low Low 2WD and 3rd.  I should have a functioning clutch this week and by next I hope to take it in for an emissions test.  A lot of little stuff to do still.

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: Apr 03, 2005, 05:40:05 PM »
thats sick!!
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: Apr 03, 2005, 05:48:24 PM »
Electrical and plumbing are pretty much done

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: Apr 03, 2005, 05:51:55 PM »
looks awesome
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: Apr 03, 2005, 09:58:55 PM »
SHWING
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: Apr 03, 2005, 10:45:59 PM »
Thats a crap load of levers and shifters.  Sick!

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: Apr 03, 2005, 10:56:12 PM »
toyhatsu, looking good man. is that a cool guy tacoma steering column i see?  i just picked up a badass 83 camaro with a bulit 350 so ive been rocking that the last few days. its got a cam, headers, flowmaster exhaust,5 speed ,quadrajet carb. bunch of stuff.  its a good runner. its a t-top z28 with power everything, even seats! good sterio. the only problem is its got some paint flaking. interiors awesome except for the typical cracked dash and 1 rip in the vinal drivers seat.  soon as my mullet is up to shape  :thumbs:  ill send a pic through. :driving: