Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 715183 times)

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #840 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:25:21 PM »
hey totyhatsu, glad to hear that worked out for you. i was a little worried that youd be upset about the litlle rust patches, but im sure itll clean up ok. at least the wiring should be ok. congrats on the progress to you and mikey. hopefully i could spend sat and sun workin on the truck.

FXR UPR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Canadian Toyota Off-Road
    • View Profile
    • www.6lug.com
« Reply #841 on: Nov 20, 2004, 04:12:02 PM »
I just picked up a 2.7 and w59 and tcase from a 96 runner.  Its going in my 85 x-cab.  I will be swapping dual cases at the same time.  Marlin makes an adapter to run geardriven cases behind this tranny I hope.  Who has done this swap into this vintage of truck so I can pick their brains and find out what I need to do to make this swap as painless as possible.  I can`t wait to get it in because my tired 22re and auto tranny just aren`t cutting it anymore.  Later.
www.6lug.com  Canadian Toyota 4X4 and Off-Road.

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: Nov 20, 2004, 06:51:19 PM »
well , mike put his in a 81 which is straight axle like  you but i put mine in a 86 with ifs

FXR UPR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
    • www.6lug.com
« Reply #843 on: Nov 20, 2004, 07:59:20 PM »
What I`m wondering about is what origional parts of my truck do I use with the new motor.  Just trying to work out as many detail before I pull my truck off the road.  Its my primary transportation and I want the least amount of downtime. I will re-read this entire thread but we only have dial-up at home and its slow as molasses. 

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: Nov 23, 2004, 05:20:22 PM »
theres no tellin exactly what youll run into with that swap, but i can try and help you out with what i know from doing mine

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #845 on: Nov 23, 2004, 06:14:31 PM »
Keep the basic things like gas tank, radiator, W56 transmission, speedometer cable, instrument cluster, transfercase, etc.

You will have to relocate your clutch slave cylinder (W59 clutch slave cylinder) to the drivers side of your truck.
You will have to relocate both high press. and return fuel lines to the drivers side of your truck.
You might have to move your battery to a different location. If you leave it in the stock location, you will have to find a air filter that will fit atop the passengers side wheel well most likely.
Your charcoal canister (purge) might need to be relocated.
You will have to drill a 2nd hole on the passengers side of your engine bay fire wall for the ecu loom of the 3RZ.

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: Nov 23, 2004, 06:37:56 PM »
hey mikey, do you have any wiring diagrams for that motor/t100. tonite i laye dout my harness to inspect everything and get an idea of what im getting into. the result, im freaked :shocking:  :hammerhead:  :rivers: . i dont even know where to start. i think im going to start by laying out the interior portion, hooking up the the guage cluster, ignition, mount the ecu and work into the engine bay. if you think i should go about it another way let me know. whats nice is when they removed this harness, not a single wire was cut so its in perfect shape. let me know if you have any kind of instant messanger sevice if you dont mind so we can talk a little more directly. im usually online in the evenings at about 630 and later. now im gonna go see if i can get a little work done. also where did you mount the fuse box under the hood. :help:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: Nov 23, 2004, 06:42:20 PM »
I ordered a FSM from Toyota for a '95 T100. I was like 70 or 80 bucks :o but it saved my life. I could not have done the job without it. Highly recommend and its also got full color wiring diagrams which save loads of time.

My fuse box is next to my wiper+radiator overflow tanks on the drivers front. I'll post a pic later when I get home (if I can remember).

I dont have any instant services, but I can install one. My gf uses Microcrap Instantmessanger so I might install that pretty soon. PM me your phone number and maybe we could talk about it eaiser over the phone also..

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: Nov 23, 2004, 08:27:35 PM »
its going to suck to switch the fuel lines, slave cyl, battery, all that stuff to different locations. id like to keep the battery under the hood, but wel see how it goes. i have the factory air box but looking at your pics from your smog session it probably wont fit. mike, i sent you a message.

FXR UPR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
    • www.6lug.com
« Reply #849 on: Nov 24, 2004, 08:20:12 PM »
Big Mike -  My truck is a 22re with the auto tranny.  Ita all coming out.  I don`t have a w56 right now and I didn`t know where to find a w59 bell housing so I ended up getting the tranny as well.  The wrecker also left the t-case on the tranny.  Do you think it would be better to stick to the w59 (strength wise) compared to the w56? 
ifssucks- Thanks for the offer

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: Nov 25, 2004, 07:47:31 AM »
Well in terms of strength, both transmissions are going to be about the same. Im sure the bearings are the same, possibly slight ratio alterations? or wider gears maybe? Maybe its stronger like a G54 is to a G52. I'll have to ask Marlin...

If you use the W59 however, then you will have to use our MC09 Taco adapter to convert it back to a gear drive transfercase, or you would have to swap in a drivers side front diff :ack: which would have to be some dana as Toyota never made a driversside 8" diff.

KISS - Keep it simple and stick with a 85-88 or 89-95 style W56 + t/case setup and use the bellhousing from a W59. Now since you already have a W59, you could change the output shaft and the tailhousing of the trans to make it compatible with the gear drive t/cases..

FXR UPR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
    • www.6lug.com
« Reply #851 on: Nov 25, 2004, 12:14:41 PM »
So do I bolt the output shaft and tail housing from a w56? That would be sweet if that worked.  Than all I need is the dual case adapter and some 4.7 gears and I`m in business. 

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: Nov 27, 2004, 12:38:54 AM »
ive opted to keep the tacoma tcase and tranny for now because it has so few miles. also i guess the early bronco axles work good for a front for a drive rside pumpkin. itll probably be easier just to use a w56 though. there seems to be alot more axles with a pass side diff anyway so if you do an sas, either way your in a good position.

man, this thread has really been moving slow lately. usually i have to check for new posts a few times a day but lately nobodys been talkin much.

by the way, has anyone ever wondered where little trees come from?

FXR UPR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
    • www.6lug.com
« Reply #853 on: Nov 27, 2004, 09:26:43 AM »
I am hoping to use the w59 because I already have it.  I don`t want to get into swapping a drivers side drop front diff because I already have a solid axle in front (85).  I`m hoping the swapping of the tailhousing and output shaft will work.  If not I`ll have to just find a w56 and go from there. 
This thread has slowed down.  I guess BigMike is out wheeling and has no time for us 3rz wannabe`s :yupyup: Come springtime my truck will be sporting the 3rz and I`ll have no more time to web wheel.  Later

Pancho

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: Nov 29, 2004, 07:38:32 PM »
Mike plase post some pictures of the hamers. the truk is looking greate.  Hope to see those pictures soon
1983 Toy 5.29 and loked. in Loma Linda ca

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 209
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: Nov 30, 2004, 11:16:10 AM »
Hey mike when do you think you will get your suspension done? also do you guys still plan on making motor mounts for this swap to sale? :)
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: Dec 01, 2004, 08:29:27 PM »
What's new with the truck Mike?  Haven't had any updates in almost a week  :jawdrop:
 :worthless:

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: Dec 03, 2004, 04:43:24 PM »
Hey mike when do you think you will get your suspension done? also do you guys still plan on making motor mounts for this swap to sale? :)
Im talking more about the swap kit over here http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4192.0 Im going build an engine mount conversion kit when I do Marlin's swap this winter. Stay tuned.

I know I know its been a while, but there's only 1 more week of this semester left, then finals, and then I've got all of the time in the world for my truck until Jan. So I am just gonna take a break with the rig and focus on school for now.

My rear springs are finished, but I've gotta get some $$ before I can get em.. I hopeing to have them by the end of the year, and then I'll start on the suspension.

So what's my next task? I've got two things I want to get done next.
1 - Get my on board air installed. I've already got an air pump (twin piston belt drive) and a 3-gallon tank, I've just gotta make a bracket and get the pump and all related lines installed. I think when I start on Marlin's truck, before installing his 3RZ, I will use his engine as a jig since it's already out of the truck and I can do a much eaiser job with getting the belts lined up. I still need to figure out if I can run a serpintine belt on my compressor as right now its got a v-belt pulley. But im sure this wont slow me down so much..

2 - Check out the new CB Radio section under the General Truck Discussion section. Here's a direct link: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=33.0
I've got a CB *finally* so I am going to start working on completing my dash. I've got my CD player/radio from my MR2 that needs to be installed, the CB, and my car alarm system. These are also next on my list. I am going to build a tray to hold the radio, the cb, and also I've got a factory cup holder from a 3rd gen interior and I will include space to mount that as well. :bling:

So that's what's up right now. I also need to get some roll bars installed, but I figure I'll mainly just be playing in the snow for now, and that's gonna require alot of airing down and up, so that's why I really need to get some on board air going ASAP so I dont have to bum air from somebody.

Anyways, I'll post back here as soon as something happens, you'll be the first to know!

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 302
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since May '04
  • Toyota owns 51% of Daihatsu Motor Co, Ltd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: Dec 03, 2004, 05:13:17 PM »
BigMike,

If you get the time would you please take a pic of your dipstick tube going into the block?  The IFS Taco 3RZ had the dipstick in the front since that is where the deep part of the oil pan is between the A arms.  With the T100 oil pan I am not sure where the tube goes.  I've looked over the engine briefly but didn't see a threaded plug towards the rear of the engine.  There is about a one inch hole in the drivers side of the oil pan with four machine screw holes around it.  Is this the mounting point or is this hole for something else?  Confused...

Thank you for your time.
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: Dec 03, 2004, 08:16:46 PM »
toyhatsu, my oilpan had that same hole. when i bought it , it came with this little flat cover piece thing with some like funky , wierd wax green center. even the parts guy at toyota didnt know what  it was for. im glad you brought up the dipstick tube question becuase that made me think about mine. i did wonder if i switched the pan around if it would read the same. 

anyway, my trucks been home for about 3 weeks now and i havent even touched it yet. by the time i get home every night its dark so it sucks. plus my old lady is about 5 1/2 weeks pregnant so she gets most of the attention right now.  i need some wiring diagrams before i can do anything right now.

this is an awesome pic by the way

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #860 on: Dec 06, 2004, 01:35:22 PM »
Hey mikey, this tread's slowing down. :psss:  can't let that happen! got a ? for ya
 what would you say is the best cruze RPM for a 22R? for best MPG? I know it make a diff. on the cam,headers,intake ect. butt just as a gen. strating point. I think I'm a little high! (3300@70)
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: Dec 06, 2004, 02:46:32 PM »
I dont know, but I do know that the 22Rs have an amazing bottom end potential, even compared to the 3RZ. If I  bog the 3RZ down to say 2300 rpm in 5th gear, then to go anywhere Ive really gotta put my foot in it. But the 22R on the other hand, is ready to go at 2300 rpm, and while the 22Rs that I've driven seem to run out of marbles above 4000, the 3RZ is opening up its lungs. So from what Ive gathered with the 3RZ, its best mileage is right at 3000. If I do 3k in 5th, I think thats like 55 or 60mph, then it makes some really amazing mileage, so I would assume that if you could keep the 22R down to 3000 or less its going to do best for ya.

I know that Marlin's truck, in order to do 70 mph, you have to have the pedal flat on the carpet. And even with WOT, thats his best mileage, whatever it is? 13? :dunno: but my point is that with the carburated setup, throttle position doesnt seem to affect the mileage as it normally would with an efi. So just focus on the crusing rpm instead of the engine load..

Hey Toyhatsu, I'll try to get some pics of my oil dip stick tube and its location today and post the pics up tonight.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #862 on: Dec 06, 2004, 04:38:43 PM »
dang,  mike you should have come out and drove my truck befor i killed it,  it comes, :down:  well, came alive at 4000rpm, but then i m sure marlin didnt have a stage II race cam on a 20/22hybrid,   its so awesome,  when i get things back together i'll have 94mm 9.7:1 cr, 75cc chambers, 22 valves ,in the 20head, exhaust ports bored

brainless,   my truck runs 3800 at 65  ,  at 5500 i am told is about 105,  luckily by my cousin  the Clark co sheriff deputy i had to split 2 truckloads of firewood for to keep him from turning me in
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:11:40 AM »
Hey guys,

Not much has been happening, like I mentioned I've only got one week left so Im gonna take it easy on my rig until I take my finals (next wednesday) and then I'll be working full time and will have some extra money to throw into this pit :gap:

On Tuesday I did some work to my front end. I had suspected that the preload on my drivers side spindle was a bit tight. I remember tightening the 54mm nut down, then I back it off, then I run it back in just before it touches. But I think when I was tightening the outer nut, the inner nut turned just a bit (I dont notch the star ring until they are both tight) so I thought it was a bit tight, but it hasnt burned up and I drove it 750-something miles down to the Hammers and back and still managed about 16-17 mpg hauling ass to catch up to Marlin doing 3600 rpm for more then 2hrs straight. Im seriously gonna work this engine to the ground, It will be nice once I get some bigger tires.

Anyways I have no idea :dunno: what the preload should be, but in the pic below I was getting 13 pounds of preload and that can't be good. Also by going off of the top of the tire, it was like 4 lbs whereas my passenger side was 0-lbs, it wouldnt even register on the pull scale. So I knew it was too tight.

So I loosened that up a bit and sure enough the truck rolls better and coasts farther. It made a noticeable difference. I should get a bit better mileage too :sly: but recently my mileage has been way off, like down to 17 mph, like what TacoRunner is getting. Maybe this is the standard mileage and before I was just getting lucky? I really have no clue. My power under higher loads feels the same, but sometimes while crusing at partial throttle it feels funny. I think I need to clean out my air flow meter and my air filter, that was a crap-load of dust from the hammers maybe its screwing something up. I've heard these hot-wire sensors are really sensitive :ack:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »
Now for the real kicker  :eyebrow:  :wink2:

I am heading to the snow this weekend -- we got over 3' up there now!! SWEET!! :drooling:  :drool:  :disturbed: -- so I need some real tires, so I tried again to fit Marlin's 35 MTRs on my rig and to my amazement THEY FIT!!!!!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:19:58 AM »
These are 35x12.50x15 tires and wheels. However, my worn out 33 Xterrains stand at 30", and these 35" MTRs stand at 33", even two of the tires are really new, they are still only 33" tall when measured with some tape.

I am really impressed however that these babies fit. I will ramp it today to see how far I can go before it hits the front of the cab.

I'll try to take some pics of my snow trip, but for some unexpressed reasons :yupyup: I won't be able to take any decent pictures. I'll talk about it some more when I get back on Saturday :thumbs:

The side pic shows the width differences with a wide rear end + 1.5" spacers and a regular front end with 1.5" spacers. I don't think its noticable, but in person you can see that the rear is a bit wider. I should run some 2" spacers in the front maybe.. I wonder how soon its gonna be until I get a "no mud flap" ticket  :snare:

Cya
BigMike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:25:18 AM »
Oh how could I forget the most important thing? THE POWER!! :_order: I can pull onto the freeway just the same, get right up to 75 mph, cutt people off :pointing: and just cruise. The tires are wwaayy out of balance, I don't know how Marlin ever used them :crazy:

I do have to give it some more throttle, but the power is definately not an issue. FYI 5.29 gearing. 75 seems to be right about 3200 rpm which is sweet. But if I let the rpms drop to about 2500 in 5th, then the engine kinda struggles to get back up. A quick downshift to 4th may be in order. For now its ok, but once I get some 36-37" tires, Im sure 5th gear won't be used as much as it has been.

Give credit to the 22R(-E)'s intake design as its very healthy for bottom end torque, whereas this engine comes alive once above 3k if bogged down pretty well. If Im bogging it in 5th gear at like 2200, forget it. But 4th gear pulls very very strong all the way above 4k past 80-something with lots of power to spare. I've not yet found out its speed limit :cool:

And about my suspension, I have no clue what they are. The rear springs seem to be stock with an added leaf and the front springs are definately aftermarket. Maybe a 2" or 3" lift? I've also got a 1" body lift that I built, so maybe total lift is 3-4 inches? :headscratch: What ever the springs are, they sure ride like CRAP :mad:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: Dec 09, 2004, 03:42:02 PM »
just dont think tickets, i have yet to get one, and i have been drving my truck with 37" mtrs for almost 2 years  :crossed:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: Dec 09, 2004, 05:03:52 PM »
I think that nud flap ticket thing is a load.  I see full size chevies and fords up here in Merced all day long running way to short but way too wide super swampers.  You've seen them, the truck has at least 4" of lift, and like 33x15x15 swampers. 

I think part of it is to keep your truck somewhat clean.  The cops notice the lack of mud flaps more with mud or even just road grime is sprayed down the side of your truck.  That reminds me of the time my brother drove his truck right by the chp office covered in mud.  He had to put the flaps on to clear the ticket, but they wouldn't clear it because the stock flaps didn't stick out far enough.  So he just drilled new holes in the flaps a couple inches out and everything was cool.

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 302
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since May '04
  • Toyota owns 51% of Daihatsu Motor Co, Ltd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: Dec 09, 2004, 06:29:31 PM »
BigMike,

I lightened up the pics a little for you...looks real good! 
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2005, 06:36:37 PM by toyhatsu »
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.