Author Topic: Greenhorn Clean up Day! HUGE Success! Clean up Pictures!!  (Read 10313 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Greenhorn Clean up Day! HUGE Success! Clean up Pictures!!
« on: Nov 18, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »
Greenhorn creek is far from a challenging offroad area (compared to Fordyce and Rubicon) but it is a fun place to explore, wheel and camp, and is rich with Northern California's Gold Rush history. During the winter, it is loaded with several feet of snow offering scores of miles of snow runs and is home to the Winter Funfest each January. Without letting a whisper get out to anyone, BLM was planning on shutting Greenhorn down. How they would manage to keep people out of an area that hosts dozens of entrances and has been a local recreational spot for decades is unclear. Bebe, from pirate4x4 has been awesome in trying to obtain as much information as possible about the coming closure.

Here is an exerpt from the post on P4x4:

Quote from: Bebe;7488930
BLM says Greenhorn will be closed

Well, I’m not exactly sure how they will do that, and the cost is sure to be high.

A little background:

On 9/22 if you remember, some of the local PBB members organized a small, albeit effective clean up. At the clean up we discussed whether or not this area was worth saving. It was such a mess. We collectively agreed that was, and that a little education could go a long way.

When I got to the office on Monday morning I called the Folsom BLM office, and spoke with Mr. Jeff Horn, outdoor recreation officer. At first Mr. Horn was very surprised, excited and happy to hear about the clean up, the interest in additional cleanups, and the offer to put up signage at the camping areas. Then as if someone hit him over the head, his tone completely changed, and he then informed me about the FEIS (Final Environmental Impact Statement), that it has been completed, the comment periods were over and that the ROD (Record of Decision) would be signed very soon, and, that Greenhorn was going to be closed.

Alarmed, I contacted a few people and asked if they knew anything about it. Answer: No. I quickly looked up the FEIS on the BLM website, no references there to the closure of Greenhorn.

(Bebe wrote a lengthy letter to BLM, if you would like to read it follow the links below)

Essentially, after I fired off that e-mail, (6 weeks ago) I have heard nothing. I contacted him twice yesterday, and received no return phone call or e-mail.

So now it is time to bring it to the users. We need to organize, and let them know we want to keep this play area. But we have to be willing to work for it.

The majors players/decision makers I know of are, The BLM, Tahoe National Forest (very small area), Nevada County, Private Landowners, and Local users.

Some ideas for what needs to be done:

Signs at all 6 entrances, and the 3-4 major camping areas.

Pack it in  - Pack it out, Leave No Trace – Use Portable Sanitation - Stay on the Trail – No Trespassing etc.

Well-drawn maps of the area from You Bet to Buckeye Flat Rd.  (Aerials w/ road overlays would work best)

Regular clean ups

Community Outreach

Organized Events

We should also have regular meetings with all the above-mentioned authorities, preferably together at one time, preferably on site.

All of those who would like to help, even in the smallest way, let me know on this thread. We can schedule a meeting and get some more thoughts on how to save this great play area.

Thanks

Bebe

I would love to see Greenhorn open for anyone to use. It is great for wheeling, ATV use, camping, hiking, gold panning (Not going to find much but you can try anyway :D) mudding and snow runs. I have been going there since I was 14 years old. The biggest problem is a lot of people leave trash, abandon cars and just dont respect the area. For this Hansen Brothers (who owns most all of greenhorn and maintains it) gets pretty pissed because they have to haul off burnt cars and garbage all the time. Our ideas are outlined above and anyone who can spare a few hours on Sunday morning would be very much appreciated in helping us show BLM and others that we can maintain Greenhorn and keep it open for everyone's enjoyment.

Thank you to anyone that can lend a hand. If you have a pickup, or trailers im sure they will see good use. Be aware that a load to the local dump will cost about $15 but it is a small price to pay to fight to keep land open for our sport.

Here are the links to the posts on pirate.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630557

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631000

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610062&page=3
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007, 12:10:13 PM by fortysixandtwo »
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhorn Cleanup Day! DECEMBER 2ND - 9AM
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
WHAT TO BRING:

Trucks
Trailers
Gloves
Shovels
Rakes
Trash Bags
Eye protection
Weight belts (if you have them)
Bailing wire
Duct Tape
Tarps
Tools
Recovery Equipment
GPS units
CB's /FSR's
Cameras

Please document as much as possible, we will need great photos for a presentation to the BLM, FS and LEO's!!!

DIRECTIONS:

Directions from the Red Dog side (Nevada City):

Take hwy 80 and either get off at hwy 49 in Auburn or go on up to 174 in colfax and take it to hwy 49.

Exit Sacramento St. in Nevada City, Gas up at the Chevron.

Continue down Sacramento St. (downhill) and make a right (away from downtown) at Boulder St.

Boulder becomes Red Dog just out of town.

Just keep following Red Dog till it turns to dirt.

When it intersects another dirt road, make a right turn, follow it until it until the pavement starts. Make the immediate left on Red Dog Crossroad.

Follow that for 3-4 miles and it will eventually become dirt again. Continue to go downhill until you reach the creekbed.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »
I have wheeled this area, would be good to see this spot kept open.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »
Definitely! Its a fun spot just to kick it and screw around. The more victories the better. Hope to see you and FFC out there! I'll be in the red and white 4runner with an olive drab third gen sas

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2007, 02:16:11 PM »
I would love to make it.  We have a work christmas party late on dec 1st so we will see. 

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »
Well in any case I hope to see you two out there!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:41:19 PM »
Well it sounds like most people from Pirate are meeting up at the Chevron in Nevada City. If anyone wants to meet elsewhere (Their gas prices are much higher than everyone else in town, and they have a tiny parking lot) let me know. I could meet anyone who plans on attending somewhere with cheaper gas and more space (for those of you with trailers). Just let me know. One week until the clean up!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:13:52 PM »
Clean up is this Sunday folks! I hope to see some of you fuckers out there!!  :beerchug:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Got back from the clean-up a few hours ago. Overall: KICK ASS. Over 100 people showed up (that isnt including the people that forgot/didnt sign in) and the California 4WD Association. was present as well as the Friends of Eldorado and Friends of Tahoe National Forests. Big thanks to Bebe for organizing such an awesome event. We cleaned Greenhorn like it has never been cleaned before!!

From Bebe:

The turn out was incredible.

To every one of the Volunteers who attended todays Clean-Up:

THANK YOU FOR CARING ABOUT GREENHORN!!!

I am so over whelmed by the people that turned out for the 9AM start, but add to that, they just kept coming, signing in and working. We had 112 folks turn out for this event. Un-freaking-believable!!!

I have so many to thank for the support that made this event successful:

Dennis Mayer, RTF and FOTR: Truly, you have been my Mentor since I arrived in the OHV world. I can't thank you enough for your love and support!

Don Spuhler, CA4WDAC: Thank you for putting the energy into Greenhorn it deserves. Cal4's involvement will be critical to our success in keeping it open.

To the Greenhorn IC Chiefs:

Rick Krause, Rick White, Martin Ward, Erik Bibelheimer, Dana (Cobra5.0Jeep) and Will Corbett, you all make great wing-men, thank you for doing such an incredible job today.

To the Team Leaders:

Erik, Brian, Don, Dennis, Rick, Derek, Aero and Ken, OUTSTANDING PRODUCTIVITY from all your crews. It just could not have been more effective, and we have you to thank! We easily hauled out over 25 cubic yards of trash, metal, scrap iron, two loads of tires (1 car hauler and 1 dump truck), and 3 vehicles.

Thank you to Les Schwab, who took all the tires for no charge... Auburn Placer Disposal who donated 11 passes to their dump for those who would haul to Auburn, and to CALTRANS for providing 150 enormous trash bags.

The most important factor in the success of this clean-up were the local users, many of them still in their teens!!! What an incredible group you are! You should all be proud of yourselves ! What a way to step up and become a part of something so important to your community!!!

We will be doing this again, and we will be asking for your help

Maintaining Greenhorn so that it can stay open to all is our goal.

Thank you all for helping us to achieve it!

Bebe

:thumbs:  :beerchug:  :bananabeer: :rockingout:

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »
good job guys way to kick some :moon: and take names

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:09:49 PM »
Here are a few pics I took through out the day:

:biggthumpup:

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:10:12 PM »
I talked to bebe on sat at the other clean up and told her sorry we would miss it and she said that she had a ton of help comming to help.  That is awesome.  Do you have any pics fortysixandtwo ?

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:12:34 PM »
right on man nice pics.  I think I recognize some vehicles in the pics.  :thumbs:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:12:57 PM »
More...some SAS :moon: decided to ditch their torched IFS out at VIP (our favorite camping spot):

One of many trailer loads of crap hauled out of our clean up area (VIP):

One of the many mineshafts scattered across the area:

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2007, 01:23:11 AM by fortysixandtwo »

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:16:28 PM »
man i am going to have to wheel up there with you. Last time i went i just found the mini sluce box i think they called it and the main river bed to play in.  It was dried up when i was there or atleast most of it was. 

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:17:54 PM »
My back is killing me after basically playing HOOVER the vacuum all day with bullet and shot gun shells. I would just walk around in circles, hunched over, tossing shell after shell into my bag. We got a ton of trash hauled out though and that is what matters!! Even got a little wheeling in with the new dual cases :D

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »
man i am going to have to wheel up there with you. Last time i went i just found the mini sluce box i think they called it and the main river bed to play in.  It was dried up when i was there or atleast most of it was. 

Hell yeah man. You and FFC ever want to come up give me a shout I will come out and show you guys around

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:23:16 PM »
Last pics. We were all hanging out after a long day's worth of trash mashing when suddenly, here comes Luke Porter of 4x4 Labs in his 1969 Osh Kosh 6x6 dump truck with an International diesel. He was hauling some lumber to my friend's house and stopped by on his way through to say whats up. That Oshkosh is RAD!!!  :biggthumpup:

:love:

Oh the things I could do with a 6x6 dump truck.......

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
those pics are siiiiiaaaaccccccckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Right on man you guys did some great things up there good job to all the crew that made it!!!   And if Bebe off the pbb happens to see this she is an awesome person to set this up and get the ball going

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »
those pics are siiiiiaaaaccccccckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Right on man you guys did some great things up there good job to all the crew that made it!!!   And if Bebe off the pbb happens to see this she is an awesome person to set this up and get the ball going

Yeah I talked to her for a while she is a great gal. Really has her heart set in preserving our trails. Awesome woman you are Bebe, keep up the good work for sure!  :yesnod: :biggthumpup:

Also a huge THANKS to everyone who showed up. Couldnt have done it without any of you. Being a local its good to see that we arent the only ones who are willing to work to keep this place open. It felt great to see the big turnout and the enthusiasm expressed by everyone. Thanks everybody!!  :beerchug:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
:woohoo: let's go!

Hey, did they get that car out of there?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Yeah that was one of the major goals. There were 3 complete cars and half of another car that got hauled out.  :biggthumpup:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
:woohoo:  Right on! :thumbs: :woohoo:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I want that 6x6!  :drooling:

:thumbs:  Nice job bro!!  That is awesome!!  Glad to see the cleanup was successful there too!! :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Sadly, our hard efforts to present a possitive light on the Greenhorn situation has completely backfired. Not only did law enforcement turn their optimism around on us, the paper publicized a very negative article about Greenhorn yesterday. I wrote a letter to the Union and I really hope it gets printed because it clarifies many of the untruths outlined in the article.

http://theunion.com/article/20071211/NEWS/112110156/-1/LOCALNEWS

Quote from: The Union
Greenhorn Creek: A fun zone for vandals

Deputies to crack down on illegal activity

By Robyn Moormeister, robynm@theunion.com
» More from Robyn Moormeister
12:01 a.m. PT Dec 11, 2007

Crime, late-night parties and fires, dumped cars, off-road accidents and promiscuous shooting are just some of the headaches local deputies regularly encounter in the Greenhorn Creek area of Nevada County.

They're getting fed up.

"We have had several reports of rapes, people not wearing their helmets, riding too close, accidents, beer bottles everywhere," Nevada County Sheriff's Cpl. Walt Jones said. "We're called out there many times over the year."

A memorial cross and flowers at the edge of a steep cliff at Greenhorn Creek for Brandon Alcala - a 19-year-old Grass Valley man who died from injuries he suffered while four-wheeling there last March - offers a reminder of the area's dangers.

Off-roaders have enjoyed the Greenhorn area for many decades, drawn by the mountains of gravel left by hydraulic gold mining. Miners staked out surface and underground mines as early as 1861, and by 1870, "they were doing a great deal of hydraulic mining out there ... around Red Dog and You Bet," said historian Edwin Tyson, of the Searls Library for historic materials in Nevada City. The 1883 Sawyer decision outlawed the extremely damaging practice, Tyson added.

But responsible off-roaders are not the problem, officials said. Rather, it's the vandals who go to the late-night raves, get drunk and burn stolen vehicles that ruin the area for the rest of the off-road community.

"We want (vandals) to know we're out there paying attention to unlawful activities," Jones said.

Residents in the Greenhorn area called the sheriff's office five times between Oct. 21 and Dec. 2 to report shooting, according to sheriff's logs.

"(Vandals) dump their junk and then they use it for target practice," said Miriam Limov, of the South Yuba River Citizen's League. "Greenhorn is out of the way, therefore they can get away with it."

Volunteers with the South Yuba River Citizen's League and Friends of Greenhorn clean up the junk that vandals dump in the watershed on a regular basis.

"People dump big stuff out there - cars, washing machines, dryers, stereos, mattresses and furniture," Limov said. "Anything from a dumped vehicle is going to contaminate the water system. So we send strong guys out there every year with large trucks to haul it out."

Deputies respond to the reports of shooting, and often arrive to find their suspects long gone. But they do find smoldering fires left behind, which the fire department must extinguish.

Deputies have hidden in the forest and ambushed several parties, trying to cut down on the illegal behavior.

They plan to beef up patrols in the area, as well, Jones said.

The land in the Greenhorn area is primarily private land, Jones said, with some smaller segments of land owned by the Tahoe National Forest and the Bureau of Land Management.

Regardless of who owns the land, sheriff's deputies and search and rescue volunteers must respond to calls of illegal activity and to rescue stranded 4WD enthusiasts.

Deputies said they plan to enforce all laws, including vehicle codes, to cut down on illegal activity, and they will use whatever personnel they can to maintain a law enforcement presence in the area.

The Sheriff's Office uses funds from a state off-highway vehicle grant to increase patrols. Jones recently applied for a second grant.

"We patrol on the weekends and on weekdays," Jones said. "In addition to deputies, we can use reserve officers and search and rescue volunteers. We'll do whatever we can."

ooo

To contact Staff Writer Robyn Moormeister, e-mail robynm@theunion.com or call 477-4236.

• 9:21 p.m., Oct. 21 - A caller reported hearing shooting in the Greenhorn Creek area. Deputies were unable to locate the source of the shooting.

• 9:18 p.m., Nov. 13 - A caller from Greenhorn Creek reported people were shooting in the area for about one hour. Deputies checked the area, and all was quiet.

• 5:24 p.m., Nov. 18 - A caller from Greenhorn Creek reported hearing multiple shots fired.

• 3:28 a.m., Nov. 28 - A caller from Greenhorn Creek reported shooting in the canyon. A patrol deputy was advised.

• 10:16 a.m., Dec. 2 - A caller from the 17000 block of Benedict Canyon Lane reported people were shooting through the trees at Greenhorn Creek. The shooting stopped, and the person would call again if the shooting resumed.

- Robyn Moormeister

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Here is another update with the Greenhorn battle. Sadly like before, our efforts are going unnoticed by not only the public but we are being IGNORED by those agencies with the power to shut our land down.  :down:  :shake: :maddest:

Quote from: Bebe
Date: Wed, Jul 9 2008 2:14 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 4/9/08

Jacquelyne Theisen

theisen@starstream.net

Friends of Greenhorn

friends-of-greenhorn@googlegroups.com

http://groups.google.com/group/friends-of-greenhorn

Local Recreation Group Says Land Use Planning Must Be An Open Process

FOLSOM, CA - A Nevada County Recreation group is concerned that
closure directives were crafted n a recent secret meeting between the
Bureau of Land Management Folsom Field Office, the Tahoe National
Forest, Nevada County Sheriffs Office, and Hansen Brothers Enterprises
(HBE).  The Friends of Greenhorn (FOG) believes Orson Hansen provided
a letter to the Nevada County Sheriffs office requesting assistance in
keeping recreationists out of the Greenhorn Creek OHV area.

A stipulation in the Mining Permit HBE holds at the pleasure of Nevada
County clearly states HBE must provide access for "lawful recreation".

It appears that FOG was purposefully excluded from any meaningful
participation by the aforementioned agencies and businesses on how to
manage recreational access in the affected area

"Our group has strong concerns about how decisions are being made in
an apparent vacuum by land management agencies, county government, and
local businesses." said Jacquelyne Theisen, Friends of Greenhorn
Member and spokesperson for the group. "We've put over 250 volunteer
work hours into the area last year alone. I believe the recreation
community deserves better treatment and a seat at the table."

"In the beginning they have appeared to have a willingness to work
with us and other stakeholders to come up with solutions to some of
the issues that occasionally crop up in the creek bed", Theisen goes
on to say "Sadly e-mails sent to BLM Folsom Field Office Director Bill
Haigh go unanswered and our issues are ignored. I suppose it's time
for us to demand a response."

Confirmed with a Nevada County Sheriffs Office representative, the
Greenhorn area is still legally accessible from Buckeye Road. "I
encourage people to get down there and keep recreating!!" said
Theisen. "Until there is an (obviously predetermined) closure order,
and a Record of Decision is filed on Tahoe National Forests Travel
Management process, this area will remain open for another couple of
years. If you don't use it, you will definitely lose it."

FOG believes that users should unite with local government officials
and other stakeholders to petition the BLM to start a plan amendment
process, which could allow for legal OHV use in the areas now closed.
FOG believes this is the best track to take but the group wants to
reserve the right to investigate other options if the petition process
fails

FOG is encouraging everyone who recreates in the Greenhorn area to
speak up and speak up now. Write to Congressman Doolittle, State
Senators Sam Aanestad and Dave Cox, Assembly members Ted Gains, richard
LaMalfa and Rick Keene, Nevada County Supervisors, BLM FFO Director
Bill Haigh, Tahoe National Forest Supervisor Tom Quinn, and Hansen
Brothers Enterprise's owner Orson Hansen. Let them know you want open
meetings and dialogue. Tell them how your family recreates in the
area, and how long your family has recreated in the area. Let them
also know how you use the area, panning, rock hounding, OHV, ATV, 4WD,
SUV, Motorcycle, camping, touring etc."

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Since the battle for Greenhorn is raging on and we only have a few days left to protest it, I thought I would bring this back to the top for everyone to see who may have missed it.

Also please take 5 minutes of your time and write a letter!! Bebe has created a very user friendly letter generator on pirate4x4. Every letter counts!!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744137