Author Topic: Yet another 1992 Pickup Build Up Thread...  (Read 15695 times)

elfking

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Yet another 1992 Pickup Build Up Thread...
« on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:19:01 PM »
First of all a huge thanks to Steve  (and everyone else!) over there at Marlin. Steve kindly answered too many questions I had regarding the swap. I just figured do the job right the first time rather then again later... at least that was the hope. :idea: I couldn't be happier with the quality of all the parts and the support from Marlin. I recommend them to everyone and anyone. I am very happy that I went this route.

I also have to thank my uncle of course with putting up with my projects in his shop. As well as his help with the fine welding and overseeing the project so I don't kill myself.  :biggthumpup:

I finally found some free time and got to spend a weeks 'vacation' from work to begin this project. Months ago I sold my 1994 Mazda RX-7 and put a bit of the money towards this new found project. I just didn't have anytime to get installing on all those parts in boxes in the garage.

The current goals on the list are:
SAS (99% done, just need to weld the bump stop frame exentions.)
Duel Cases
Drive shafts
Exo Cage(or just lots of body armor of sorts)
 --Bob the bed to the rear shackles. I am still up in the air about this if I want or just run it until its crushed and go flat bed.

Here is where it all started:

So first things first, I found myself with a nice day of cutting and griding action.This begins the SAS pictures  :gap:

Then of course there was some checking involved to make sure this truck was not in any secret wrecks the DMV didn't know about.

Then of course make sure things are lined up before welding it into place and realize I was a little off.  ???

I'll shut up about the rest and just post the pictures. Thats all anyone really wants to see anyways.  :gap:

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007, 07:27:24 PM by elfking »

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another 1992 Pickup Build Up Thread...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:22:17 PM »
Continuing the picture fest....

And of course..

yota 92

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:32:02 PM »
those springs look huge what are u runnin?
Big Johnson

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »
nice job. :cool:

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »
those springs look huge what are u runnin?

Ahh Sorry I forgot to post that info up...

Its the Marlin SAS kit , with 4" lift and the smaller shock hoops and shorter shocks.. Id say the lift was more like 5-6"... Once it settles a bit I was going to throw on some BFG 35 Muds right now I have some random 33" AT's on there...
 Everything Marlin except:

Diff cover = All pro I believe.
Yukon 5.29"s
Full Detroit lockers Front and Rear
I still bought it all from Marlin.. can't beat a nice reliable source for parts.

nice job. :cool:

Thanks! It was quite a bit more work then I had expected... but now it all seems like one long day....

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »
just wondering--it doesn't look like you moved the steering box forward...any thoughts on that?

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »
just wondering--it doesn't look like you moved the steering box forward...any thoughts on that?

I thought about it, but figured I would think more about it if I ran into problems with it where it is. I really didn't look into it too much though. I had thought about bracing it even further but the existing frame support for I think was decent. I read that the older gen's didn't have as much support there for the box and that was some of the reason for supplying the power steering brace.

So far it looks like it might be ok.. Moving it later would be almost the same amount of work then taking care of things right then and there.. :gap: unless of course it decides to separate on the trail... I also don't plan on going any larger then 35"s so I guess I was going to wait and see how things panned out before jumping overboard there. I was also a bit concerned with the amount of distance between some of the steering and the leaf packs. Though I haven't found anything rubbing so far...

Maybe there was something I missed, are alot of people moving them forward? for clearance reasons? Or bracing them and beefing it all up so it doesn't tear off the frame?

Colt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 196
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2007, 05:03:17 AM »
nice truck and nice pics!  :thumbs:

CADD MAN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »
 :thumbs: nice except now I want to go hom and start cutting up my 92  :yesnod: .  Looks really nce though, keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.  I will be watching this one for sure because I have a 92 also, you may inspire me to keep it and  :flamer: get to it.
Nice job though  :beer:

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2007, 05:18:48 PM »
Maybe there was something I missed, are alot of people moving them forward? for clearance reasons? Or bracing them and beefing it all up so it doesn't tear off the frame?

If you have access to a fork lift or a ramp, flex out the suspension both front an rear and check for clearance issues. Without moving the box forward I believe at the extremes you will have some problems. The other reason to move the box forward is to plate those frame rails. I have a friend with an 84 where the box was moved forward without plating. Lets just say it was ugly. :ack:

I also don't plan on going any larger then 35"s so I guess I was going to wait and see how things panned out before jumping overboard there.
I had that plan at one time. :lipsrsealed: IMO consider at least a 37". With the tire sizes continually increasing, I noticed that the ruts and obstacles created by rigs with bigger tires sure made it difficult to get around on 35"s.  :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2007, 06:03:26 PM »

Like shoyrtt said, it is pretty important to plate the steering box. Its also good to plate the frame rails from the box to the body mount and mount your shock towers to that. That isnt absolutely necessary, though. Just remember, you can get by ripping a shock tower off on the trail, but you tear a steering box off.....no fun....

After checking to make sure you dont have clearance issues you may be able to retain the stock position but plating it is a must.

Otherwise your build looks like it is coming along well! Good work  :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2007, 10:58:31 PM »
Yeah what they said.....but it looks spiffy
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2007, 12:10:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input on the steering box issue. I'll have a look on the weekend and see how things turn out. I was thinking I could almost brace the thing in the stock position as well. For instance my Jeep has a steering box brace for similar reasons. It wraps around the box and braces it from the opposite frame rail.

I plan on checking all the clearance issues on with a forklift and stuff each angle at the same time I figure out the welding spots for the bump stops...

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2007, 01:24:27 PM »
just noticed you have a coolant leak.

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »
just noticed you have a coolant leak.

Yeah its one of those small formed ones coming off the throttle body. I already have a new one. Its on the to-do list when it stops raining.. or on the weekend... ;)

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »
So the Duel Cases went in fairly easily. The only snag I really had was that the Front Range Off Road clocked cross member would not fit for the life of me. It looked like to me you would need a body lift of some kind to stuff it where it needed to go in order to keep the drivetrain in place. Otherwise it would have been hanging down in the back. The quality of the product is top notch, just for some reason I guess it doesn't look to fit my truck...So I just ended up making my own crossmember (I had a hand with the welding..)

Of course, lots of pictures....

So I ended up cutting out 9" of the driveshaft. My uncle kindly welded it back up so I could still drive the truck home and not leave it stranded while the real driveshafts were made. (The driveshaft had a very slight vibration at 20mph and was smooth up to 75mph..)

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2007, 10:07:02 PM »
And more pictures...

I ended up getting a little tin, and helping cover up the hole I made. I made the hole between cabin and transfer cases big enough to get the 4 bolts and shifters out easily. Incase I had to do any sort of 'fishing' for broken pieces on the trail. Not likely to happen I know but it was simple to patch up the little hole for the shift boot.

I also managed to score two seats out of a 1985 Toyota MR2 from the local wrecking yard for $14 dollars each. On the driverside both front holes lined up perfect, the back needed new holes. On the passenger only 1 hole lined up and the rest needed to be drilled. No big deal, they were in within an hour.

Then I put this little 8" woofer in the cab in hopes to battle the tinny 4" speakers up front. I found this little 8" fit with the amp under it inside the bin. Unfortunately I think the bins don't seal quite as well as I had hoped. So on quiet days that is another little side project. It works, but it could be better.

I made it so the seat could still be put down and someone could sit on it, ( I would shut off the signal from the radio quick) I was going for keeping the rear seats available incase drunk people might need a lift home.. Something of that sort.  :greengrin:

I'll have a couple more pictures of things once I have finished cleaning it all up and painting it, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2007, 10:14:34 PM by elfking »

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »
Nice work!! I am digging your "stealth" subs in the back. Might have to borrow that idea for the girlfriend's 92.  :biggthumpup:

Dont remember you mentioning it but what tires/rims do you plan on running? Have you decided to bob the bed or flatbed it? I love the look of a third gen with a bobbed bed but that is just me. Anyways, looking good!  :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2007, 10:22:56 PM »
Thanks, I am still up in the air on bobing the bed... Eventually if/when the bed gets trashed I am likely to go flatbed, unless I find a good deal on one near by... I am tempted to bob the bed though just for the sake of having the 'ass' not hang so far out past the rear shackle. In a couple spots on Fordyce and even Rubicon I might back off something onto the bed pretty easily.. at least it that was my thinking.. Then again maybe not though.

My thoughts were to run 35"s (bf goodrich mud terrains) I have them on my Jeep and have nothing bad to say... except maybe the price could be lower..

Nice work!! I am digging your "stealth" subs in the back. Might have to borrow that idea for the girlfriend's 92.  :biggthumpup:

Dont remember you mentioning it but what tires/rims do you plan on running? Have you decided to bob the bed or flatbed it? I love the look of a third gen with a bobbed bed but that is just me. Anyways, looking good!  :beerchug:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2007, 10:55:13 PM »
Rubicon you could probably get by with minimal to no damage to the "asshang" but Fordyce you are probably going to want to shorten it. Looks sick anyway and its easy to do! why not?  :yesnod:

I dig the BFG muds too, I ran a set back when I had 32s. Havnt decided on what I am going to move to after my 35 coopers burn out but I am thinking some 37 MTRs. I have several friends that love them to death and I can more or less understand their sentiments after wheeling with them the last few years. maybe with the new BFG MT KMs the regular MT will drop in price...  :crossed:

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2007, 08:26:11 AM »
All very valid points... I am daily driving this truck on the road, so I am trying to keep it semi tame... I think 35s would be ok... but I don't know about 37s behaving on the road semi nicely..

Friends and family are headed up through Fordyce this weekend. We normally try and do this and Rubicon a couple times a year..I love that trail and can't get enough of it... I'll be in my Jeep but I will be there... I figured I would wait to get a little body armor of some kind for this project...

Rubicon you could probably get by with minimal to no damage to the "asshang" but Fordyce you are probably going to want to shorten it. Looks sick anyway and its easy to do! why not?  :yesnod:

I dig the BFG muds too, I ran a set back when I had 32s. Havnt decided on what I am going to move to after my 35 coopers burn out but I am thinking some 37 MTRs. I have several friends that love them to death and I can more or less understand their sentiments after wheeling with them the last few years. maybe with the new BFG MT KMs the regular MT will drop in price...  :crossed:

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »
you got the 4cyl 92. your lucky. im going to do the exact same thing with my 2pc driveline, just shorten up the first part. when i went from 2pc to 1pc i noticed i couldnt climb as well at all anymore cause the shaft would hit on everything.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »
Update:

Since last time I updated this build up... I have:

- Bought and Installed/painted Front and Rear Marlin Crawler bumpers.
- Put on 35" BFG Mud tires.
- PUMA 12v Onboard Air System (I used my own tank and mounted it under the bed.)
- Also moved my Warn M8000 from my Jeep to the Front Bumper. (Found a nice Warn 8274 upright for the Jeep.)

The pump for the air compressor is in the tiny bin behind the passenger seat. I had to find a big hammer and make a little more room for it. However its about the most useful thing I could think of to shove in there.

I have an air chuck on the front and back, which proved to be alot more work then I had intended. It was my first time doing this sort of thing so next time maybe it won't be so much effort.

Still need to secure the pump down tightly in the bin. (right now its just sitting in there for proof of concept.) Also need to solder all the wiring connections.

It performs pretty damn well for being an electric compressor. I have been spoiled by our York systems on the Jeeps but this thing fills one 35" BFG MT from 12psi to 35psi in little less then 5 min. Not too bad at all for the price. I am in no dire rush when filling up as its generally the same time we're shuffling gear around to prepare for the trip home.

I also think I might re route one of the lines to the non exhaust side. The hose gets pretty warm after a run up to Tahoe... not melting or anything so I might just leave it and wait and see.

Now for the pictures...

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:52:33 AM by elfking »

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »
Very nice, coming along nicely. I like how you have use of the little storage compartments in the back, very cool. :biggthumpup:

All this talk of your Jeep......got any pictures???

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »
:woohoo:

Nice looking elfking.

But i would reconsider moving the air tank.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2008, 01:32:47 PM »

Nice looking elfking.

Yeah does look a little too close for comfort next to the exhaust

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2008, 03:31:52 PM »
:thumbs: nice build!!  Don't know how I missed this before :smack:

Just to go back a bit, do you have your amp in that bin under the backseat?  You may want to conside moving it.  The PO of my truck had his amp back there, and it got fried, not enough airflow, and the heat from the exhaust comes through a bit.  Just an FYI. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2008, 04:22:30 PM »
Very nice, coming along nicely. I like how you have use of the little storage compartments in the back, very cool. :biggthumpup:

All this talk of your Jeep......got any pictures???
Most recent pictures are from well now two years ago haha.. I took it out last year on a bunch of trips just I guess no one took pictures of it ;)

Nice looking elfking.

I wanted it out of the way, we have done pretty much the same thing, tank under. Not quite as close as this is to the exhaust as this.. Its not like I drive around with full air pressure anyways. I also felt the tank after driving a couple hours to Tahoe. I could still hold my hand on the tank.

It also wont be a problem by the time I get around to replacing the muffler/exhaust system..  I was worried too don't be wrong. I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know if something bad does come from it. I am only running 100psi max in the tank when it is in use..
:thumbs: nice build!!  Don't know how I missed this before :smack:

Just to go back a bit, do you have your amp in that bin under the backseat?  You may want to conside moving it.  The PO of my truck had his amp back there, and it got fried, not enough airflow, and the heat from the exhaust comes through a bit.  Just an FYI. 

I haven't had any problems with it yet, the amp is nothing too huge only about 400 watt x4. Nothing like what I used to run way back when in my RX-7 days (1000w+) those suckers would get hot, this one hasn't even tripped the thermal sensor once one bit.. Both bins are tired to gether air wise too... I am more worried about a leak cropping up then heat honestly. :) a friend of mine her bin gets a little damp in the rains.... Mine seems to be okay so far. I just can't stand having wires/amps laying around in plain view or in the way having to move it around.

70 Cam Guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:37:07 PM »
It doesn't seem like you have but did you have any clearance issues with your steering box?

Nice truck!  :biggthumpup:

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2008, 09:59:43 AM »
It doesn't seem like you have but did you have any clearance issues with your steering box?

Nice truck!  :biggthumpup:

Alot of people were telling me that I would have problems with it, I haven't had any yet.. I am keeping a close eye on it though for any signs.