Author Topic: Fordson Tractor Snow Motor Conversion  (Read 9373 times)

sam2145871

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Fordson Tractor Snow Motor Conversion
« on: Sep 25, 2007, 10:52:42 PM »
I know this board is for 4x4 and what not, but I figured that if I posted it here it would be ok. Anyways, I've been looking for information on a conversion kit for Fordson Tractors. It's a screw-drive system that uses two shafts off the transmission I believe that goes back to some sprockets where there are two chains that drive what look like two large pontoons/augers. It was made in the 1920s by a company called Snow Motors, Inc. I've attached a few pics to show it better cause I'm not entirely sure how it works.

My question is, has anyone saw one of these before? If so where and when. I'm going to try and make my own kit for my tractor, but I cant find enough information on it. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Marcus
"If it ain't broke....you aren't driving hard enough!"
"She'll Buff Out"

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Re: Fordson Tractor Snow Motor Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2007, 10:55:33 PM »
And it uses the pontoons/augers to propel yourself forward? Thats awesome! I wonder how good it works...
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2007, 10:57:09 PM »
I've never seen one til now, but it works like a wood screw or a snowplow.  trans turns the augers via the chains/sprockets.  Augers of course are threaded, and provide a forward motion when turned in the proper direction.

of course you have the augers spreading out the weight over the snow so you don't sink.

sam2145871 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »
Its pretty cool in that you can actually go side ways with it also...other than that, the steering is set-up on the order of a bulldozer I believe. You use a series of controls to move each drum individually or together depending on which direction you want to go.
"She'll Buff Out"

sam2145871 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2007, 11:04:13 PM »
Here is alittle quote from a website on the matter:

A real curiosity is the Fordson "Snow Devil," equipped with an Armstead Snow-Motor attachment that consisted of a long, screw-type drum on each side instead of wheels. As the drums revolved, the screws pulled the tractor across snow, or even bare ground. The machine is said to have hauled mail through the heavy snow on the 13-mile route from Truckee, Calif., to Lake Tahoe during 1925 to 1926.    (http://www.farmcollector.com/articles/tractors/lets-talk-rusty-iron-2004-07-01.html)

What I'm really hoping is that someone knows a guy who knows a guy that stoled from a guy that may have one of these, lol.

Here is another site that has some videos of other machines with the same basic design actually moving and what not:

http://fulgerica.com/en/?p=167
"She'll Buff Out"