Author Topic: rebuilding/ upgrading a 84-ish front and mid 90s rear and some other stuff...  (Read 9177 times)

Joe S.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 252
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
i changed the name of this thread to kinda help with people when they use search.
these axles are being built to install in a 96 geo tracker.

MODS, if this should be moved to suzuki tech, then please do, but i will post mainly axle tech here, then do a buildup of the tracker in suzuki tech.

some specs on the axles:
FRONT:
open with 5.29 gears
stock shafts
all new knuckle stuff
upgrade brakes to 95 4 runner v6 rotors and calipers

REAR:
open with 5.29 gears
new bearings and seals on shafts
Sky Mfg rear disc conversion with caddy eldorado calipers

somethings i have learned:
when upgrading to the V6 rotors and calipers, it is CHEAPER to buy the loaded calipers from marlin. i have bought all new shims, springs, and pins from the dealership, and reman calipers from advance. i have as much in them as the ones marlin sells here: http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/brakes/calipers.htm
i got lucky and will not have to run spacers on my wheels. i test fit everything before hand and so far everything clears.we'll see how it works on the final setup.

to get cone washers out of the manual hubs, you can take a air hammer with a pencil tip and set the tip against the stud, while using the stud's nut to locate the tip, and with a short "blip" of the air hammer, the cone washers pop right out.

and now, back to the original post. thanks for all your help guys!!   :bowdown:

i am prepping my axle for reassembly. i have come across a couple things i need answers to.
1) can i reattach the thirds with hex bolts instead of studs? i dont see why this wouldnt work.

2) what kind of fitting do i need to attach the brake lines? is there a tee the axle is supposed to have? mine has NO brake lines at all. i have the stainless lines from the sky kit, but what do they attach to?

3) do i need to get all the paint off the axle shafts? i got some overspray on it. will it effect the inner seal?

thanks!
joe

some pics:
primered housing

painted first coat

caddy calipers

sky brackets

axle shafts
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007, 09:38:23 AM by Joe S. »
Zuks are more than a hobby...

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
Re: working on my axle, got questions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2007, 10:24:08 PM »
1) you can. there is a company (I am not allowed to say the name) that makes a kit to convert from studs to hex bolts. this will not cause leaks its probably a better setup...
2)there is supposed to be a tee. It mounts on the little plate on pass. sd. top of axle tube. the side the fill plug is on.
3)wipe it off w/ laquer thinner if you are worried about it.....

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2007, 09:37:42 PM by TurtleTappers91 »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007, 08:58:38 AM »
1.  why
2.  yes  theres a hard line  that runs to each side
3.  brake kleen  or  most anything will get that off the seal surface
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2007, 09:06:48 AM »
1) can i reattach the thirds with hex bolts instead of studs? i dont see why this wouldnt work.

They may leak a bit.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2007, 10:25:09 AM »
ok, i will use the studs then.

i am working on my front axle now. is that gear oil in the knuckles? or is it liquidified grease?

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »
ok, i will use the studs then.

i am working on my front axle now. is that gear oil in the knuckles? or is it liquidified grease?
Just supposed to be grease, if it is liquid the axle seals were leaking. Marlin has some aftermarket replacements that are a lot better then the OEM ones.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
Be aware, if you use hard line and the Toyota tee you have two different threads metric for the tee and standard for the Caddy calipers. You will need to use standard hard brake line and reflair one end with the metric fittings.

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2007, 09:24:09 PM »
Just supposed to be grease, if it is liquid the axle seals were leaking. Marlin has some aftermarket replacements that are a lot better then the OEM ones.
ok. i have new seals to go in, and i think they are marlin ones. there is a drain plug and fill plug on the knuckles. what is that for? do i just fill the whole thing with grease AND pack the birfs?
Be aware, if you use hard line and the Toyota tee you have two different threads metric for the tee and standard for the Caddy calipers. You will need to use standard hard brake line and reflair one end with the metric fittings.
i have the lines i need for the caddy calipers, as well as the banjo bolts from the caddy calipers, so that end should be good... but arent the caddy calipers metric?

thanks
joe

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2007, 08:50:43 AM »
No

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2007, 10:06:59 PM »
did a little work on the front axle too...

these pics are from about 11 hours of disassembly and cleaning... the axles are clean tho and almost ready to go back together.

front axle before

after

parts and pieces from the axles

:D

and the old pieces (anyone need anything?)

and some rock rings for my fake beadlock wheels. this is one for a test fit. a little cleaning of the holes and it will be ready to paint and bolt up!

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2007, 10:09:16 PM »
anyone know where i can get a pic or exploded view of a 95 v6 front caliper? i bought just the calipers at the parts store, and i didnt even think about all the little extra stuff i need to run them on my 85 axle... shims, springs, etc... i dont have any of that! :(

thanks!
joe

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »
tonight,

paint

and primered the rock ring

will paint tomorrow. i have decided to paint the rings orange.

still gotta get the other 3 cutout. hopefully he can get em this weekend, but no rush.

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
anyone know where i can get a pic or exploded view of a 95 v6 front caliper? i bought just the calipers at the parts store, and i didnt even think about all the little extra stuff i need to run them on my 85 axle... shims, springs, etc... i dont have any of that! :(

thanks!
joe
  Are you using the ones you have in the pics or the IFS calipers?  Just asking since you painted the ones that came off of the 85 (from what it looks like).  I have an 85 axle with IFS calipers...what pictures are you looking for? 
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
oops sorry, the calipers in the pics are the caddy ones i am using in the rear. i need(ed) pics of the 95 V6 calipers. i went to the dealership today and ordered what i need. thanks!

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Just as a side note...looks like you have an 83 or 84 front axle...but not the 85 (judging by the gusset).

Lookin' good, I like the orange color your goin' with.  :thumbs:

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
well, dangit. the guy i bought it from had 2, one was from an 84, and one was an 85. i told him i wanted the 85... guess he didnt hear me...   :smack:

thanks. are the parts the same for them? i have been buying parts for an 85 axle...

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
The '85 has a bigger gusset, I think thats it.
I used an '84 axle in my build, its still plenty stout, and all the internal parts are the same as '85.
If you are worried about strength,
It looks like you are at a good point to add knuckle ball gussets. Its harder to do when the knuckles are installed...

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
im going to be using an 84 and going to gussest it
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
yeah, all parts are the same for the 84 and 85...the only difference is the gusset.  Your 84 will definitly still be up to the task of whatever you do with it.  I have a 79 (NO gusset on it) and I have not been able to bend it yet (went straight on into a rock and it is still straight).  Like Turtle said, I would put on the knuckle ball gusset since it would be a lot easier.  Mine would have a gusset on it (including knuckle) but I haven't had time to pull it out and do everything that I want to with it.

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
armor is gonna have to come later... the piggy bank is squealing for me to stop spending! lol

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
got the front assembled today minus the brakes. i must work slow. it took me about 10 hours to get all this done...
i found out that my axle is not an 85, it is an 83 or 84 (smaller gusset)...

upgraded the solid axle non vented rotors to the vented type for better cooling and so i can use the V6 caliper for better grip.
also added new studs while at it.
LESSON LEARNED HERE #1: when driving studs in, take all necessary precautions NOT to damage the hub where the inner seal goes. i tore up 2 seals (at $15 each!) before i got it the seal to go in properly.
LESSON LEARNED HERE #2: buy a good seal driver kit. it is LOTS better than a block of 4x4 post. :D

dropped the third in

started installing the knuckles

here is a trick item that needs to be made for samis. this one is a marlin thing i think. it is a thicker felt ring. stock is on the right. the rock ring is on the left. it is supposed to protect the felts better against damage.

packed the birfs with fresh TACKY grease. ahhhh! Lucas!

tightening everything up! i also got the backing plate eliminator rings from marlin to help clean up the looks of the knuckle. i really think the backing plates take away from the clean look of the axle.

passenger side is DONE!

here is the driver side Trail Tough steering arm. really beefy, but the powdercoat was messed up. looks like it was put in the bubblewrap before it dried. ???

my camera man took a break while i was working on the other side, so i only got pics of the completed side...

tie rod installed!

CLOSE

also managed to get the rock ring painted today too...

hope to get the other 3 cut out tomorrow... ;D

the rear gets assembled tomorrow too!

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Looking good!!!!

How much pre-load did you put on the trunion (knuckle) bearings ?

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
it was right around 14 pounds i think... FSM called for i think 8-13. ???  i hope i got it right!!  :therethere:

got my other 3 rock rings cut tonight! ;D

also, got the rear axle assembled minus the brakes. one of my ebay calipers are bad, so i gotta get another. one is good, so i got to save some money there, which is becoming CRUCIAL at this point! :D

third is on! had to replace 6 of the studs as the nuts were siezed on, and i couldnt get them off even after soaking them in PB Blaster... new nuts and lockwashers went on too.

rear axle on

and sky braket with rotor is installed to check to make sure i had the caliper brakets in the right place (sky sends NO instructions, leaving the amateur to figure things out on his own). but i had it right! ;D

other side assembled and caliper (the good one) on for test fit.
QUESTION: there are some clips that came with the caddy brake pads. anyone know where they go? i cant fgure it out...

got some brake parts ordered so when they come in, i can button this up.

tomorrow i hope to get the rock rings primered so i can paint them tuesday, then it is off to the tire shop to have the tires mounted...  hope to start install in tracker in two weeks...

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
they hold the pads in place i believe.. the opening on top of the caliper is where the clip goes on each caliper.. one per.

if thats the clip your asking about.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
i bet that is right. i can see it now that you say it. i will try it tomorrow... thanks!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
yeah no problem.

i just put a CV on and the calipers had to come off and i remember seeing that clip.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
got my other caddy caliper tonight. i was stressing on the ebrake cable braket i had to take off the old one tho. dang bolt was rusted SOLID!!! had to drill the bolt. damaged part of my bracket too.. while i had the drill out, i cleaned up the 72 holes on the last 3 rock rings for my rims. tomorrow night, i will  get the caliper painted to match the other three, and get the rings primered. i will also try to take a trip to the hardware store and see what kind of bolts i want to use to attach the rings to the rims. i have some, but i dont think i have enough. also gotta go by the parts store and pick up my brake lines, and my lug nuts. after this, there probably wont be anymore updates for about 2 weeks.

LESSON LEARNED: always check inside the $20 box of brake pads before going to the dealership and spending $40 on the shims that sit behind the brake pads... they just might come with the pads...    :slap:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
right on.

i cant wait to see this tracker on solids.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
79-81 housings have no truss 82&83 small truss like the one you have 84&85 long truss. looks good
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
right on.

i cant wait to see this tracker on solids.
same here...