Author Topic: Take 10 Friends to Johnson Valley and Get a Fine  (Read 3502 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Take 10 Friends to Johnson Valley and Get a Fine
« on: Aug 24, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »

OHV ordinance remains intact
Despite opposition, board votes unanimously

By RYAN ORR
SAN BERNARDINO — In a unanimous vote by the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors Tuesday, it decided to keep an off-road ordinance in place despite more than 100 people in opposition.

The ordinance went in to affect on July 1, 2006, and strengthened regulations against off-roaders.

Sgt. Doug Hubbard of the Barstow station said deputies use the regulation to crack down on illegal riders.

“Our OHV guys use it as a tool when they come into contact with those folks,” he said. “It is a very useful tool.”

More than 200 people made the trip to San Bernardino for the meeting.
Community ORV watch, an off-roader watchdog group with members from all over the county, held a press conference before the meeting, with many of them holding signs reading; “Excuse me, my land.”

“Frankly I’d like to see it stronger,” said Philip Klasky, one of the leader of the group.
“But we’re willing for it to stay the way it is.”

The recommendation to the Board of Supervisors from code enforcement was that the ordinance was working as it was intended and that there should be no changes.

However, a few hundred off-roaders showed up to tell them otherwise.

“I have all the respect in the world for the people that live out there,” said Noel Garvin, who rides off-road vehicles in Johnson Valley. “We don’t ride across their property.”

The biggest issue among the off-roaders was the staging clause in the ordinance, which requires off-roaders gathered in groups of 10 or more to apply for a special $155 permit, which can take four to six weeks to obtain.

Dave Molinari said his family owns five acres in Johnson Valley and that last year was the first year he didn’t have Easter there because of having to obtain a permit.

Hubbard said a majority of Barstow’s off-roading problems stem from people riding illegally on the roadways. He said deputies enforce the vehicle code in those situations and work with code enforcement to enforce other regulations.

Randy Rogers, Chief of Code Enforcement, told the board that the program was a success and that since the ordinance had been implemented they have handed out more than 200 warning citations and 98 court citations and made 7,890 educational contacts, where they try to educate riders on the ordinance.

After four hours of public comment from both sides of the issue, the board voted 3-0 to keep the ordinance in place without any changes.

Chairman Paul Biane was on vacation, and 1st District Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt left just minutes before the vote to get to an event in Adelanto.

This blows, how in the world can they charge such a fee and require such a long application time. My club regularly would have up to 10 vehicles on a run. Maybe I could see that they require that they are informed about a group of friends going out to have a fun time but to require you apply for a permit at least 6 weeks in advance and pay $155.00 to play on something that belongs to you that's just a joke. When I lived in the high desert I fully expected to have to deal with offroaders and such, and on top of that you bought property next to an OHV park you dumbass what do you expect!!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Just trying to shut things down one clause/permit at a time!  If you have to apply for a permit and have to "wait" to see if you get said permit, then your not gonna waste your time!  Your gonna find a place that doesn't require a permit, yet!  If they are trying to raise more funds for the OHV areas, or shut them down, then they need to be clear about it!  This girl thingy footing around the real issue is just confusing everybody!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

klmmicro

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Matzuki Project Page
I see a whole lot of 9 people groups are forming independently of each other for runs on the same day.   :gap:
Just out havin' fun...life's a beach!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
 :mad: :maddest: :tantrum:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I see a whole lot of 9 people groups are forming independently of each other for runs on the same day.   :gap:

:yesnod: Just a couple yards away from each other. :rofl: I'm kinda wondering if this includes camping or just while on the trails.  :headscratch:

Also this thing is county wide not just in Johnson Valley, so Stoddard, Calico, Big Bear and any other area in San Bernadino would be included.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
 This is a bunch of :pokinit: We need to  :spankbutt: :kickbutt: to the BLM and other county and state offices  :twocents:

I see a whole lot of 9 people groups are forming independently of each other for runs on the same day.   :gap:

:yesnod: Just a couple yards away from each other. :rofl: I'm kinda wondering if this includes camping or just while on the trails.  :headscratch:

Also this thing is county wide not just in Johnson Valley, so Stoddard, Calico, Big Bear and any other area in San Bernadino would be included.
:gap: :yesnod:

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
The ordinance has been on the County agenda for quite some time. It was originally passed last year without much opposition because the restrictions apply to private property, not to OHV areas like JV, Big Bear, Calico etc.

I went to the July Board meeting and again there wasn't much of a turnout. Of the people that did turnout, I would say it was nearly a 50/50 split. I missed the August meeting, but the report seems to suggest they eased up on the ordinance from last year. (The Sun article indicated that the Board was going to allow more permits than the six issued County wide in the 2006 version).

If you want the ordinance changed, call or write your local Supervisor. :twocents:
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2007, 09:55:15 PM by Shoyrtt »
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/