Author Topic: transmission swap L43 to L52 or G/W series transmission  (Read 10160 times)

79yoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
transmission swap L43 to L52 or G/W series transmission
« on: Apr 30, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
I have a 79 Pickup with the 20R and L43 I recently blew the transmission.  I want to upgrade to a newer stronger toyota transmission.  I have been unable to find information about this kind of swap.  I like the 20R and want to keep everything toyota.  I have been looking at the L52 transmission because it is around the same year and the spline's are the same.  If anyone has any information or knows where to find it,  it would be much appreciated I can't wait to get back out on the trail.
I KNOW ABOUT THE JEEP THING, THATS WHY I DRIVE A TOYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
any L series transmission will bolt right in with no  modifications at all

i swapped my L43   for a Marlin L52HD,  it bolted  right in  just like it was "made" for it  :eyebrow:

the ONLY   mod  you will have to make is  the shift hole in the floor,  but  thats very minor stuff

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
yeah the l52 well bolt right up to a 20r.. i had to change just a few things. i used the l52 clutch slave cylinder, throwout bearing and fork, l52 tranny to engine mounting bolts and bent the forward cab tunnel so it wouldn't vibrate. i think thats all, have fun!!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
oh  yea  i forgot  about  those 2 bolts being a little short,  :headscratch:   or was it too long  :eek:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Appreciate all the help
I KNOW ABOUT THE JEEP THING, THATS WHY I DRIVE A TOYOTA

griffin155

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Newbie question. 
I'm in the process of replacing the L43 trans with an L52 in my 1979 2wd pickup (don't laugh :haha:).  I'm also replacing the 20R engine with a rebuilt early 22R with 20R head.  Since the engine and trans is out of the truck, can anyone out there show just where I'll need to cut/modify the hole where the shifter comes through the floor?  A diagram and/or template would be nice.  Also, what tool(s) should I use to modify the opening?  I've done plenty of wrenching on vehicles, but have never modified car bodies before.  Finally, after making the cut, what should I use as a shift boot to cover the hole?
Thanks for the help and advice,
-Mike

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
picture of a gen 1 that had a l52. and a piture of an unfinished 79 that has a l52 in it. yeah i'll fix it later, it's not raining yet.  :headscratch:

griffin155

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Thanks for the pictures.  This gives me an idea of where the new opening will be.  My truck is a 2wd so to be safe, I'll install the l52 and then identify where to cut.  I like the duct tape. :)
-Mike

BTW: How does one include pictures in a message/reply?

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
after you do 11 or so posts, just click additional options, browse , get your picture, open and post. i think that's what i did anyway. also notice that the hump on the l52 tunnel is higher, so to get the l52 in the older tunnel you need to bend the tunnel up towards the bellhouseing area or it well rub and sound like a bad tranny.  my kingdom for a one inch body lift !!! yeah duct tape rules :smack: and you don't even want to know about the other things I've jerry rigged on this thing :yupyup:
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 02:07:15 PM by rn37dd »

griffin155

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I just looked at the l43 and 52 pics in the store and I see what you mean.  The l52 Bell housing has that hump near the top.  Just curious.  How much tunnel bending is required?  You did mention your kingdom for an inch.  I guess that was a clue.  What's the suggested method?  Hammer, floorjack, battering ram?  What else?    :hammerhead:
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 11:17:04 PM by griffin155 »

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
an l52 will fit but it will rub and the vibration will drive you crazy. so i just bent it about 1/2 inch forward where the wires are so it wouldn't rub on the cab. had to get rid of my oil pressure and volt gauge mount though. i used a floor jack and wood block. some people use hammers.  I'm surprised someone else hasn't posted a better picture yet. lots of people have done this swap and done a lot cleaner job.  :flamer:

griffin155

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Well I'm off to pick up the l52.  I guess that means I'm committed.  Floorjack and wood block sounds like technology I'm comfortable with.  My 79 is the bone stock baseline 2wd model, so there isn't the little gauge pack to worry about.  It didn't even have armrests or a cigie lighter.  I snagged some from a later SR5 at the boneyard.  Pretty soon I'll have enough posts to put up some pics. 
I got the truck for free from the original owner.  It had sat for 10 years in his driveway.  He didn't physically abuse it, but it suffered years of emotional abuse and neglect.  Quote "Hell Mike, I put oil in whenever the red light came on."  There was enough charcoal under the valve cover to have a company BBQ.
Thanks,
-Mike :beer:
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2007, 06:27:52 PM by griffin155 »

griffin155

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Hello Mr rn37dd,
I guess I've been breathing fumes in the garage too much.  The rebuilder dude put together a W58 5speed for the 79 truck.  We sat it next to the l43 and the geometry looked pretty good.  The bell housing doesn't have the "hump".  After I got it home, I slid under the truck for an eyeball test.  Looks like I'll need to flip the trans mount plate on the cross member as the w58 is thicker at the tail end.  I think tomorrow I'll get an engine hoist and drop the w58 in for a test fit.  Anyway, have you or anyone out there done what I'm getting ready to attempt (not the breathing fumes part)?  :crossed:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
picture of a gen 1 that had a l52. and a piture of an unfinished 79 that has a l52 in it. yeah i'll fix it later, it's not raining yet.  :headscratch:

Anybody else having trouble with the top pic not loading fully? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!