Author Topic: BigMike's Mountaineer Rebirth  (Read 55028 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
BigMike's Mountaineer Rebirth
« on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »
I got my Mountaineer brand new for Christmas of 1993. I was 13 years old and had saved nearly $300 for it. Little did I know that my mother took the money out of my savings and used it (and a bit of hers :love: thanks mom!) and when I opened the present at my grandpas house in Lancaster, CA, I remember screaming and going absolutely nuts!

I was pretty young back then, but had lots of RC experience from Bevin (blane525), who first introduced the hobby to me while I was in the single digits. I owned an original Associated RC10 buggy at the time, with the steel chassis and pre-stealth transmission. Bevin has owned a Bruiser and a Hilux for many years then, and that is how I fell in love with the Mountaineer.

I remember jamming all over the place with the mountaineer, jumping it off of the sidewalk and trying to baja it off road in 2nd or 3rd gear. I also remember doing a lot of Crawling with it and learning how traction and articulation work.

This mountaineer has been on many trails, Rubicon, Dusy, and has even been up to Panamint City :bowdown: to name a few. Also, the body is painted with GENUINE 1980 TOYOTA RED PAINT! Marlin had touch-up paint for his truck, which of course I modeled the Mountaineer after :gap:

Shortly after I began playing with it I managed to break a rear propeller shaft. :rivers: The yokes were made out of brass and did not last long at all. Being a little kid who rarely had money or visits to our local Communists Hobby Store, the Mountaineer found itself retired and a nice place in my closet on the top shelf for all dust particles to collect and throw wild dust parties. :chillpill:

Fast forward to 2005. I bought a 1/18th scale Nylint (more info and pics here) and modified the snot out of it. But you know, in the end, no matter what we did to it, it was still a cheap Chinese toy :outtahere:

After becoming very sick and tired of the Nylints, Bevin had suggested rebuilding our Hilux/Mountaineer. That was two years ago. I thought "come awn man, this thing is a vintage trophy not a Rock Crawler". Then Dean turned me on to the Stick when it was first being developed. I thought that was the best way to go, so I acquired some Clod axles and began making a home-brew Stick Crawler. :thumbs:

I got it built to the point of a rolling chassis with steering, but never mounted any electronics and of course never finished the project. It has just been sitting on a shelf, along side the Nylint. :shakehead:

I got bummed with the Stick Project because I began seeing realistic Crawlers. I knew that from our experience with the Nylint, that independent axle power TOTALLY SUCKS in my opinion, and I decided that if I were to get serious and really build a Rock Crawler, then it must have a centrally located transfercase with drivelines. :thumbs:

Then I saw this video last week:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mvHQxl23SrE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mvHQxl23SrE</a>
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mvHQxl23SrE

And I just thought "What the hell are we doing with stupid clod axles" I called up Bevin, he came over shortly there after, and we both drooled and began planning our Mountaineer Crawlers  :clap: :clap2: :biggthumpup: :thumbs: :disturbed: :yesnod: :cool: 8)

Here is where my Mountaineer has spent most of its 14-year life, on a shelf with rotted tires. I even have the original box in very good condition. :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2007, 12:29:45 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Re: BigMike's Mountaineer Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »
Day 1:

And the project begins :_order:

Here is what's left of the rear shaft. Also pictured is a steel u-joint that I never installed because its ID was larger than the OD of my driveline. I remember cutting up Mountain Dew cans and using the metal to shim the joint. It would only last a couple of mins before the shaft fell back off. Also the front shaft is on the edge of failure as well, so I just stopped playing with it back then.

The undercarriage.

Then I began stripping it down to just a rolling chassis.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2007, 10:39:41 PM by BigMike »

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »
That has got to be the sickest RC I've seen!  Never knew they made those.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »
does that thing have 30 spliners in it? :yupyup: thats soo cool they go for $$$$$ on e bay

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:10:05 PM »
Day 2:

Next is to lock up the front end in reverse. The bummer with the Mountaineer is that Tamiya was trying to cut back on manufacturing costs, so they removed the amazing manual locking hubs of the Bruiser and Hilux with Auto locking hubs that feature one-way locking sprag bearings. So the Mountaineer only has 4WD in 1st gear forward. It only has 2WD reverse. So when you get stuck in 4WD, naturally you need to back up, but you can't back out of the stuck in 2WD! Stupid!

So I tore the hubs apart, which was a first for me. I remember that these came assembled and prelubed from Tamiya. They are made out of soft aluminum, so I just decided to lay the pins down to jam the drive hub against the driven hub. It passes rolling tests.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:18:56 PM »
That has got to be the sickest RC I've seen!  Never knew they made those.
Yeah dude, they are B.A.. Check this page out for all of the history on the Tamiya Toyota 4x4 Pickup Series:
http://www.zurru.com/english/tamiya_classice.htm

does that thing have 30 spliners in it? :yupyup: thats soo cool they go for $$$$$ on e bay

Drew
hahaha nope, they have 2-spliners! Well, this is my biggest concern is the front axle, and possible the pinion gear of the rear axle. I know that TLT axles are stronger and more aftermarket parts are available, but its just that the Mountaineer axles are metal instead of plastic, and offer much more ground clearance. Least we forget they are scale realism Toyota! Another thing I don't like about these axles is that the front is pretty narrow.. I don't know how wide the TLT axles are, but I wish this front Mountaineer axle was wider.

Perhaps I should state my plans for this Mountaineer "as of now":
  • Try to resemble my 1981 Toyota as close as possible.
  • The above plan includes replacing the 1980 Toyota Red paint with a two-tone Blue/White
  • Try to keep the factory axles.
  • Modify the suspension for more articulation, but try to stay LEAF SPRUNG if possible.
  • Keep the stock Mountaineer chassis of course!

I am weary of the king pins of the front axle. It is obvious that it was ran hard. It has too much free caster play right now. I am thinking about brasing onto the stock pins if possible, and I want to look into some REALLY small bearings if I can find them. That would be ideal. I'll need to take some pics of the knuckles to show you how they look.

Also I am sure the drive flanges will eventually wear out since they are made from soft aluminum and the shafts feature just two splines.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007, 12:21:37 AM by BigMike »

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »
once i can afford a rc crawler, im going to get one someday. its so crazy how realistic they make them. that video is cool.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:29:51 PM »
Next is to get the new drivetrain mounted.

I adpoted Marlin's Original Associated RC10T 2WD Stadium Truck back in highschool and it even works to this day. Bevin (blane525) also owns an original RC10T, so we decided the 2.25:1 Stealth Transmission would be a great canidate for the Mountaineer.

The Associated Stealth Transmission is very small, lightweight, and features full ball bearings.
I pulled it apart, removed the balls from the diff and tightened it up (thus locking it), and did the same to the slipper clutch at the spur gear.

Next I adapted some Stampede? shafts TURBO donated to the cause. The ID of his shafts were too small to fit over the outdrives of the Stealth Trans Diff, so I opened them up a bit. These shafts will be replaced with Traxxas Jato Long Travel shafts as soon as UPS can get them to me.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »
Here the transmission is mounted atop the factory Mountaineer Crossmember.

At first I was thinking I would build a Tube Crossmember like my Front Range Off Road unit, since I want to resemble my 1:1 truck, but then decided the factory crossmember would work just fine.

When I start thinking about what I want to do and what I could be doing, I get wwaayy overwhelmed! Same thing happened to my 1:1 truck when I first got it. I have to keep the mind set that I am going to get this thing fully functional as simple and basic as possible. That is the only way to open the door for future modifications.

Getting the Transmission mounted wasn't that bad really. TURBO had the idea to mount the trans sideways as to align the drivelines in a more stock-like fashion. On the 1:1 truck, the drivelines are in-line with their mating pinion shafts, so I wanted to do the same with my Mountaineer.

I know that this sideways mounting arrangement will put more stress on the joints and will reduce the efficiency of the drivetrain, but this is a Rock Crawler, not a racer so I am not really worried about it.

It actually is turning out better than originally anticipated, and it allows for a "Top Secret" modification that is already in the works and will be revealed shortly. :thumbs:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:56:39 PM »
Here is its current Gearing Break-Down:
Pinion/Spur (112/16, 64pitch):  7.00:1
Transmission:2.25:1
Axles (26/12):2.17:1
Crawl Ratio:34.18:1

And that's it for now.
Coming Up Next:
Install Steering
Install Electronics and make first test run
Lower the Body! This ain't a skate board!
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007, 12:18:48 AM by BigMike »

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »
Damn those RC have come along way.  I used to run RC 10s back in the the late 80's and had a clod buster.  Its been way to long since I have played with one.  Yours is looking great!  :thumbs:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
Day 3:

Came home from school today and a package from Hobby Town was sitting at the door :thumbs:

Got a set of 5" tall Proline Moab tires (which are really really soft to my amazement!) and glue
Traxxas Jato Long Travel shafts and ends for Bevin and I
Some new Deans plugs because mine are getting pretty old
Servo Saver
A Hitec HS-645MG Ultra Torque 1/10th scale servo
Integy 540 Heatsink with fan
and a spare pinion gear I needed.

As for wheels I am just going to use the Mountaineer ones for now until I get some plastic Beadlocked wheels. And I got the nylon u-joint ends because the steel ones are backordered. I'll be making another order in the future, but I just needed these parts to get things rolling :thumbs:

Also I quickly mocked up a mount for my 1/4-scale high torque servo (that I've decided is overkill), and I threw all of my electronics and masking tapped my batters down and took it on some test runs!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
Here is the list of electronics I am using, that I had previously acquired last summer for my stick project:

Speed Controller:Tekin Rebel 2
Radio/Receiver:Traxxas 3-channel
Batteries:5000 mAh C-cells
Servo:Hitec HS-645MG
Motor:an old 25-turn stock

More to come...

bigman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Jan '05
  • punish all jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2007, 05:45:29 PM »
that thing is so sick
MONTANA BOYS KICK A$$
IF U CANT DUCK IT F IT

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2007, 07:44:39 PM »
are you actually using tat 3rd channel for something, or was that just a spare controller?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2007, 10:39:55 AM »
are you actually using tat 3rd channel for something, or was that just a spare controller?

Yes, it will control a 12.6 ft-lb (201 oz/in) Winch :yesnod: :gap:

Here are the rest of the updates from yesterday :thumbs:

I really like these new tires, despite the fact that they are totally generic. When I was building the stick, I really wanted to find some tires that were very rare and only few possessed. But now I just want to get this thing built; I'll worry about the details later!

Then after the Toys-4-Fun club meeting, I stayed at the shop for a while and got my new Top Secret drivetrain system installed and also got to new 1/10-scale 133.31 oz-in servo installed.

I'll tell you what, a 1/10th scale servo is no match for a 1/4 scale, that's for sure!! When I had the 1/4 scale temporally mounted, I could turn the tires back and forth full lock with the truck sitting on the carpet. Now the 1/10th scale servo will only manage about 50% lock until you hit the throttle and let the tires move a bit.

I like the idea of having serious steering power, but at the same time I am concerned with the strength of the stock Mountaineer Toyota-style axles. The king pins are metal-to-metal, and I think until I figure out a bearing system there, I don't think they will hold up long with a 1/4 scale servo.

Here is a shot of the rig on the new tires :thumbs:

As for the wheels, right now I just have the tires sitting on the old Mountaineer wheels. They are not glued and have no foam inside. I am still deciding what bead lock wheel to go with, because I first need to order some Mountaineer wheel adapters before I can run the standard hex wheels. So I just figured I would play around with it for a while as it is now. Its not much fun because it keeps blowing the beads, so I think I will put the foam and just see if thats a bit better. I will be placing another order with Tower Hobbies soon, so I will get some new wheels then.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »
man now i have to go get my truck out from storage to start tinkering with it

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »
Day 4:

Ok guys, here is a video ensemble I made showing off my Crawl Ratios

Crawl Ratios Shown:
21:1
34:1
400:1
649:1 (my maximum achievable crawl ratio at this time)

Check it out:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sD2wn_2sNc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6sD2wn_2sNc</a>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sD2wn_2sNc

Now all I need to do is change the pinion and spur gearing to match my 1:1 rig, which is 510:1.

I was serious when I said that I want this Mountaineer to resemble my real truck as much as possible :_order:
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 12:39:47 PM by BigMike »

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2007, 01:10:48 PM »
Deffinetly drives as slow as you do! :talkingn:

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
How much does the batteries hanging over the rear axle help.  ::) Try that with the first ratios to get a better comparison.

:bricks:

But it does go slower for sure.  :thumbs:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2007, 04:30:42 PM »

but not much flex :headshake:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
How much does the batteries hanging over the rear axle help.  ::) Try that with the first ratios to get a better comparison.
Ahhhh......! I just placed the batteries there because it was a smarter place to tape them up quickly. They are exposed and could eaisly short out on the frame rails if I'm not careful. I will be taking the Mountaineer up this weekend for its first trail run, so I need to get the electronics and batteries mounted before then. Regardless, I'm also using the newer tires which are amazing.

I am really glad that it is both slower and faster than my ol' Nylint. I seriously DOUBT there will be any other RCs out (for a while) that can Crawl this slow.

but not much flex :headshake:
Have patience young Skywalker. And remember, I am going for realism, not extreme flex here :thumbs:

I actually do not like the 1/10th servo much at all.....so I think I am going to throw the mounts away and start over, but I don't think I'll have time to do that by this weekend.
I've obviously got a lot to do that obviously won't be done anytime soon.
I have already got drawings on how I will mount a 1/4-scale servo, receiver, and speed controller below the frame rail and above the front axle.

More to come

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Have patience young Skywalker. And remember, I am going for realism, not extreme flex here :thumbs:

I'm just busting yer chops. I don't care about RC crawlers at all... Mark gave me a heads up to what he said so I had to bust chops.
I'm sure I'll see no more of this.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2007, 05:58:06 PM »
Dont forget mini pivot blocks :greengrin:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »
Dont forget mini pivot blocks :greengrin:
Dude, I'm way ahead of ya buddy :thumbs: I am trying to put most of the weight near the front axle, so the rear springs will have little help for their articulation.

I plan on inboarding the springs and running pivot blocks.
It is true that I do not have inboarded springs on my rear 1:1 truck, but I would love to use them if I could make a simple anti-sway system since it is my daily driver. So I just figured it would be ok to put it on my Mountaineer :gap:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2007, 06:05:49 PM »
Way too cool! :yesnod:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »
Don't forget to have an RC mammoth behind you to weld it up when it all fails :disturbed:

Where is the Mammoth?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »
Don't forget to have an RC mammoth behind you to weld it up when it all fails :disturbed:
:slap:

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »
sweet RC :drool:  :thumbs: I want one but they are to expensive! I have a old crappy nikko but i like it because the body is realistic it looks like my 83 pickup :eyebrow:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »
Last night after class I got my tire foams cut up and mounted. Remember that I have not bought my wheel adapters, and therefore I have not bought any beadlocked wheels yet. Because of this, my tires are just sitting loosely on my stock Mountaineer rims. I don't want to glue them because they will soon be beadlocked. The foam sure helps to keep the tires seated to the rim.

I first narrowed the foam by about 5/8-inch and then cut a U-groove in the center, and then put little teeth around each rim. This way it resembles the popular star cut method most RC Crawlers like to use, but it allows the option of running BBs in the tires.

Sorry these pictures are so crappy :blah:

I also decided that I will not have much fun with the 1/10-scale servo if it wont turn, so I mounted the 1/4-scale servo for more PO-WA!

This concludes Day 4. At this point, even I admit, this Mountaineer is far from ready to Rock Crawl, but I will be going up tomorrow, and so will it :gap: :driving:
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2007, 10:24:23 AM by BigMike »