Author Topic: Coolant and Oil Problems-1987 22R Toyota Pickup  (Read 15213 times)

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Coolant and Oil Problems-1987 22R Toyota Pickup
« on: Jan 06, 2007, 04:01:18 PM »
1987 22R Toyota Pickup
My truck has been drippinhg a lot of oil and it has been using a lot of coolant.  I don't seem to be going through any more oil than usual.  I think the oil problem is a front seal.  My main problem is the coolant.  This morning I had to add a full gal of Antifreeze to fill up my radiator.  When I took it out for a drive maybe 30-45 min. it lost all of the cooland and started overheating.  When I got home the engine was really hot and when I took off the air cleaner cover there was antifreeze all over the in side.  It looked like antifreeze had been blown out of the carb.  I am kind of thinking it might be a head gasket, but I am hoping that it isn't.  Any help would be apriciated!!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I am kind of thinking it might be a head gasket, but I am hoping that it isn't.

I hate to say it, but all signs point to head gasket
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
x2
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Okay well I have called a couple of shops in town and it is going to be pretty pricey to fix and I was just thinking of a couple more options.  Engine Swap, Rebuild engine?  I curently have a 22R and I would like a 22RE.  Any sugestions on what is going to be the cheapest and/or the quickest.

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
cheapest would be to do the head gasket yourself
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
HI C---I MeanYota85Truck who really drives a 87...sucks about your truck!
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Well I have dicided I am going to do the job at home.  Any sugestions on do's and don'ts to make it quicker or easier?

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
i got one!---DON'T MESS UP :hammerhead:
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
IT'S THE DRIVER...I KNOW...I WAS THERE WHEN HE HIT A CATTLE GUARD IN HIS TERCEL AT ABOUT 50 MPH, JUMPED AT LEAST 4 FEET OFF THE GROUND, AND SPUN AROUND 3 COMPLETE TIMES BEFORE WE FINALLY STOPPED 30 FEET FROM THE CATTLE GUARD! :sheerterror: ALSO, IT WAS VERY MUDDY, AND WE WERE DRIVING BACK FROM WHERE WE GOT STUCK EARLIER THAT DAY!
My Old Toy

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
Make sure you use the proper tools and not "make due" with the improper ones.  Do it right the first time.  The Toyota factory service manuals are fairly decent at describing the process.   When putting everything back together double check all the torque specs.

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
In order to not mess up I guess I shouldn't have Mega Mormon (AKA moron) help me fix it.

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Well I pulled my head tonight.  All went well so far.  We had a couple of problem bolts that were hidden (one up front where the distributor comes in and a 2nd in the very back between the engine and fire wall).  The first one we couldn't see because it was in a puddle of oil and the second we couldn't see and when we found it, it was a pain in the but to get to.  My timing chain was pretty loose.  I am surprised I didn't jump a tooth, it was loose enough that we could physically move the chain over a tooth.  I also made sure to mark everything with masking tape hoping to make it easier when I put it back together

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
at least you caught yours before you had to get a new chain and chain cover! and whose 'we'? was it 'suzy'?
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Does anyone know the torque spec. for the head bolts?  I have been lookin through my Chilton Repair Manual and I can't find it.   

Also does anyone know if you have to take off the front cover to replace the chain?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
58ft lb.  That's another good reason for a haynes :thumbs:  Never been impressed with the utter lack of information in the chiltons.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

LAGEN WAGON

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 244
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Just another slow built truck
    • View Profile
.Haynes Manuel is your Bible. Chilton's are good for chocking your tires.
85 EX Cab..30 Spline Longfields+Longs hub gears, 37" MTRs on crawlers..Marlin Hy steer.5.29 Detroit, Hydro, V-6 Tacoma Axle, 5.29 E-Locker, Marlin Duels, 4404's front, Chevies rear, Fully armored, Bobbed bed, Warn XDI 9000, Downey Header 2.5 Exhaust. Blah
85 runner 3" lift 30 spline longs/hub gears shave housing,trussed/armored. 4.88 detroit heims hysteer. V-6 rear axle 4.88 detroit. Marlin 4.7 case fully armored downey hi flow exhaust..The grocery getter.

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Well I finally found it, it was in a torque spec. section.  I found it last night, but 58 sound pretty close to what Chilton said. 

So does anyone know about the timing chain?

snowrun

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 143
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
Yes, you do have to remove the front cover to get to the tensioners. Unfortunately, the best time to do this is when the head is off(maybe you are not that far back together yet). If you have put the head back on, you might consider removing the oil pan to get the front cover off since it is sandwiched between the head and oil pan. I have seen writeups where some people do the front without removing either, but it seems to me it would be tough. Be sure to label all of your bolts, they are different lengths. Be especially careful of the ones that go through the oil pump, there's one that can interfere with your tensioner!

Go to www.4crawler.com he has a good write-up on timing chain replacement procedure.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2007, 05:59:56 AM by snowrun »

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
THanks, and I haven't put my head back on yet.  Things have been moving kinda slow.  There isn't a machine shop where I live so I had to drive an hour to drop it off.  I just dropped it off today.

E-9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Apr '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
 You may want to consider an oik pump while your there.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yes  get a new timing chain and tensioner from TOYOTA,  do NOT  use  a tensioner from autozone ,checker, bobs parts,  etc
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
How much does a new oil pump usually cost?  And when do they usually go out?

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Well I put everything back together and fired her up.  She ran good for about 20 min, then it started to run like crap again.  I took the Air Cleaner cover off and hose running from the valve cover was shooting out steam.  I think that I need another Front cover becuase the chain chewed through mine becuase it was so loose.  Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong?

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Go to http://www.engnbldr.com/ToyotaHotLicks.htm

Yes, you'll need a new front cover if the chain chewed through it...   :qtip:

The metal-backed timing guide will keep that from happening again. You DID replace the old timing chain set, right?
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
yes, he put in a new timing chain set!
My Old Toy

eazy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
How much does a new oil pump usually cost?  And when do they usually go out?
mine has 334,xxxmiles three timing covers four blocks as long as it is'nt visably damaged its good

eazy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
i've
yes  get a new timing chain and tensioner from TOYOTA,  do NOT  use  a tensioner from autozone ,checker, bobs parts,  etc
allways used autobone t-chain sets had i go out never thought about the tensioner

runyotarun

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
do you have any antifreeze in your oil?if not, usually there is no hole in your timing chain cover!!
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2007, 11:57:30 AM by runyotarun »

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Yes, coolant in the oil.  The old chain guide was broken and the chain was really loose so it rubbed on the edge of he timing cover.  It put a gouge about 2-3 mm deep, maybe more.

runyotarun

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
common problem!!!......did you find a new timing chain cover yet?i might have a suggestion, if not.