Author Topic: 2wd steerung box  (Read 2596 times)

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
2wd steerung box
« on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:53:25 PM »
I almost bought a 2wd steering box for X over steering but I didn't know if it would work. The deal Im sure had past but not sure. I was just wondering if it would work.
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

sam2145871

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Re: 2wd steerung box
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:55:38 PM »
I almost bought a 2wd steering box for X over steering but I didn't know if it would work. The deal Im sure had past but not sure. I was just wondering if it would work.
X2
"If it ain't broke....you aren't driving hard enough!"
"She'll Buff Out"

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:30:46 PM »
I'm shure its been done before. The only differences I am aware of are the mounting 2bolts on 2wd box vs.3 on 4wd box, and the pitman arm has a different shape/drop.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:57:15 PM »
Gittinit hit the nail on the head.  2wd boxes usually mount with two bolts horizontal and one vertical on the inside of the frame.  They also have a pitman arm with less drop, which is actually good if you want to keep your lift to a minimum.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

JamesD

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:18:23 PM »
Also I think the ratios are different than the 4wd ones.

James
Sharon-It is odd how society sees things. Let's say a guy sleeps with all these girls, "he's the man!" or a stud but if a girl does, she's a total very *friendly* person or sleeper. Is society sexist?
Brandon-Well think about it this way. If a key can open a bunch of locks, it is viewed as a master key and is awesome to have but if a lock is opened by a lot of different keys, well thats a pretty shitty lock if you ask me.

boggerunner

• Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:22:03 PM »
ive never seen a 2wd power steering box, the 4   2wd trucks that i have owned all had manual steering

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:30:02 PM »
i have seen quite a few power steering 2wd boxes at PnP.

boggerunner

• Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:33:56 PM »
PnP?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2006, 11:56:23 PM »
Pick n pull.  I think I've owned about 6 2wd toyotas of different vintages, and only 1 of them had power steering, but I've seen plenty in pnp with ps.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2006, 06:03:05 AM »
I don't know why the 2wd box would have a different ratio. If it does though swaping the guts into my IFS box might get me some quisker steering. :dunno: Does any one have first hand knoledge of 2wd vs ifs box ratios?
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

KyYota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:05:07 AM »
The 2 boxes have the same ratio.

Basic differences are the mounting holes as previously mentioned and the sector shaft on the 2wd is smaller.  The pitman arm is almost flat on the 2wd box and is about 1" shorter than the 4wd pitman which will cut down on your turning radius significantly (I was able to take the steering stops in about 3/16" inch after switching).  Since the sector shaft is smaller, the pitman arms will not interchange.  The taper on the 2wd pitman is also correct for the FJ TRE's that Marlin sells.

Other than that, they work OK.  I had one on my truck for about 6 months.  I used it cause that's what I had when building the truck.  However, I would not do it again.  I developed a leak (not cause it was a 2wd box, but cause it was just wore out) and swapped it for a 4wd box I picked up.  had to cut all my frame plating off and re-do everything  (hack core support, new plates, lots of grinding/cutting/welding).  it was not as much fun the 2nd time.  Do yourself a favor and just use the 4wd box to start with.