Author Topic: HELP!!! 22R Blowing white smoke WORSE............AFTER changing head gasket!!??  (Read 12726 times)

79-83earlyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
 :headscratch:  I don't get it?

My friend's 22R started puffing small amounts of white smoke now and then.....it smelled sweet like antifreeze........

So.........replaced the head gasket and intake gasket with high quality
Fel-Pro gaskets.  Had the head machined by a pro shop while in there too.

Now......after it's all done......it's blowing smoke WORSE!!!!!!!!   :mad:  :dunno:

WHAT COULD BE THE ISSUE HERE?  He was thinking maybe have to change out the entire intake???  Any suggestions or ideas?  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!   :confused:

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Sounds like to me, it blew the head gasket again.  You might need to get the block decked.

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
 :-\  sorry.....little new to the whole internal engine thing......he had it machined.........that is different from being "decked"?  :headscratch:  What exactly is the difference?  :dunno:

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Was the head magnifluxed for cracks? how are the valve guides?, did you check the deck of engine block for flatness? Was the block mating surface clean when gasket was installed? Out side chance did you check the carb to see if float is stuck down? Either way that sucks. Sounds like a nightmare.

Let us know what you find
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
If you discussed your problem and why its there he should know what to do talk to him and find out how bad it was and what he did
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
If you discussed your problem and why its there he should know what to do talk to him and find out how bad it was and what he did

what?  you mean the shop that machined the head?

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
I communicate with any one That does work for me in the sense, I want to pin point why it failed (the first time ) and for the second all the more reason to talk it out.

Typically they will tell you how much they had to take off to make it good, planing the head. (off the seating surface)

93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
I communicate with any one That does work for me in the sense, I want to pin point why it failed (the first time ) and for the second all the more reason to talk it out.

Typically they will tell you how much they had to take off to make it good, planing the head. (off the seating surface)

machine shop said they took .009    .....and that the head had very minimal need for planing.  Seems the problem may lie in the intake.....suggestions have been made to get an entirely new intake, and go from there.......

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
As far as i know, coolant flows through some passages in the intake, but i doubt it's leaking into your cylinders. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong...lol. The only way i can see the intake being involved is if coolant is leaking through a crack into the fuel/ air passages...(i have never seen this).

In my experience, the head could be cracked, but my machine shop never messes with a head without checking it for cracks first, cause they hate wasting thier time (and mine).

Or the block could be cracked, allowing coolant to leak into one of the cylinders, but if that were the case i would think there would also be antifreeze in your oil (Chocolate Milk).

If the front cover were cracked, between the timing chain/ water pump passages (1/4" aluminum wall separating coolant flow from oiled chain), or the timing guides were broken/ gone, allowing the timing chain to wear through said wall, you would get Chocolate Milk, but not white smoke = burning antifreeze.

Danged if i can think of anything else. The guys are right about cracked headgasket/ warped block/ warped head being the next likely things. If you pull the intake to have it checked, i'd pull the head too...take it to a different machine shop and have them check it for cracks...if they find any, i'd be pretty angry with the first machine shop.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
Pull the spark plugs out and see if one of them is wet.

I have made adapters out of old plugs in the past so that I could fill the cylinders with compresser air. Remove the rocker arms, or make sure the valves are fully closed. Take the radiator cap off and pressure up the cylinder. If it bubbles in the radiator, there is something wrong with the head, the cylinder or the head gasket.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

kauaikid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My 22R was just doing the same after I pulled the intake.  I had it washed at the machine shop in their vat and I didn't remove the water bypass gasket on the bottom of the intake and when I put it back on I noticed some antifreeze drippin from the bottom of the intake and come to find out all the bolts that hold that plate on were loose.  I also noticed white smoke comming out the tail pipe.  My mechanic budy said it probably leaked a little into the intake and my truck was running way to rich so that was the reason for the smoke.  I hope that your problem was as simple as mine!
84 longbed, lc eng. top end kit, dual cases w/ 4.7 in rear, arb's front w/high pinion and rear with v6 diff., 5.29's w/ 35s, all-pro long travel 4" and much more

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i have heard very mixed reviews about the felpro gaskets....

i have never heard anyone say anything negative about the stock toyota head gasket
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
always use a MLS(multi-layer-steel)  gasket,  either  Toyota  or Rockproducts.com
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
decking the block is not the same as decking the intake, however decking the block usually isnt necessary, and it means the block cant be in the vehicle, your looking at full rebuild time at that point
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Starfuel1

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
The 22R that is losing coolant water does not always mean the head gasket is blown. They have notoriously weak cam chain guides. You will never know when one breaks, but you will know later, when you start losing coolant. The timimg chain will slowly eat a hole in the timing case. The opposite side of the timing case is where the water pump lives, in the water pump housing. Hole in timing case, allows the water pump, to pump coolant directly into the oil system, with symptoms identical to A blown head gasket.

toyman2

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
go spend the $40 for a toyota head gasket and do it again,also i think the toy heads are a 3 step torq
make sure you fallow the instructions

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
fist you need to pressure check the head, elitrolsis will eat the water jacket that runs next to the exhaust port andleak into the exhaust system , it will not hit the plug or get into the oil that way, and check the timing chain cover, it will crack and leak water, the timing chain will only wear a hole in cover if guides are broke.  goog luck,  find a bottle of IRONTIGHT CERAMIC motor seal if you dodnt want to pull your head and fix it right.  felpro gaskets are just fine, so is victor gaskets, they are the most popular gaskets, rockproduct gaskets are on the cheaper side.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
go spend the $40 for a toyota head gasket and do it again,also i think the toy heads are a 3 step torq
make sure you fallow the instructions

Can't agree more!  And this is an oxy-moron:
So.........replaced the head gasket and intake gasket with high quality
Fel-Pro gaskets

For most other parts, fel pro gaskets are ok, but for head gaskets they SUCK!!  I listened to people on here talk about them failing for so long, thinking "mine's been good to me", then I recently lost my headgasket, my fel pro.  The gasket failed on the rear 2 water ports, allowing coolant to push up to the sealing ring and eventually blowing past the ring and into the cylinders.  I bought the toyota gasket for about the same price and was shocked at the quality difference.  The only other gasket I could ever see myself using would be a copper gasket.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
always use a MLS(multi-layer-steel)  gasket,  either  Toyota  or Rockproducts.com

X2  Get yota or rockproducts.  I bet the felpro gasket faild...

I am running a rockproducts gasket on my 22re (which is now on its second truck) and its great!

my .02
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
  felpro gaskets are just fine, so is victor gaskets, they are the most popular gaskets, rockproduct gaskets are on the cheaper side.
just curious if you say this from personal experience or just what you've heard?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Leak down test.. Could be ring failure also... Using oil?

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
+2 on the leak down test.  Any shop should be able to do this while you wait. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
just curious if you say this from personal experience or just what you've heard?
this is what I sell, I sell parts for a living.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD