Author Topic: Oil pressure after engine off? Problem with my gauge? (Sunpro gauge)  (Read 4262 times)

Lazy-Boy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 49
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Real weird. Installed the gauge [sunpro electric oil pressure] without any oil in motor (doing an oil change). Turned the key to the "on" position and gauge hit 0. Filled with oil and turned on the truck. gauge hit 50, then after warm up it goes to about 30. Range is from 30-75psi. When i turn off the truck and just put it in the "ON" position (truck not started yet) gauge goes straight to 25psi (does not 0 out), this is about an hour or 2 after i shut it down. Is there still pressure in my oil system? or could it be my gauge/sender? everything is hooked up right as far as power, ground, and sensor wire goes... I can get a Autometer elec. oil pressure gauge for about the same price i paid for this. Not sure whether i need a new one or not though...

any suggestions/comments?

thanks,
steve
81' 4x4-Daily Driven
35's, locked F&R, Camden Blown 22r, FI, flatbed

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Since you just installed it I'd say hold off for a few days. Check it in the mornings and if it doesn't seem to be working, then think about a new one.

Lazy-Boy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
it's already been about a week or two; just held off on posting it until today... i went ahead and picked up the autometer so i'll see if that will fix the problem... i'll let everyone know how it turns out tomorow.

thanks
steve
81' 4x4-Daily Driven

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
why use a electric gauge?  :dunno:  there are plugs  on the oilrail  you can remove to have a "pressure" gauge  AND   the stock sender  for the dash light
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
Electrical gagues are odd. I'm having issues with mine (i hope). Mine says roughly 37-39 and then coming back from a ride at about 50mph it says 17-19  :yikes:..that's backwards..so maybe I've got something wired backwards :crossed:
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Use a mechanical gauge, they are more accurate anyway
Time to go wheelin!

Lazy-Boy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
The Autometer gauge/sender fixed the problem. I'm at about 12.5-50 after warm-up.

The reason i didn't go with mechanical is because i don't like running high pressure hose into the cab. If i were to run it I'd have the gauge mounted on the cowl or around there. But because I live in the ghetto, and it's my daily driver, I don't want some delinquet to come and steal my nice little gauge from me. Also, if it were to get stolen from inside of my pickup then i'd have a big mess. sucks i gotta choose my mods wisely :( because of what may happen.

4incht100: check your wiring over again, and then make sure you have a good ground. in the sunpro manual it says not to use any teflon on the sender otherwise the sender could have a weak ground.

thanks,
steve
81' 4x4-Daily Driven

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
I spliced into the stock harness with mine, so some of those connections may not be the best. I've got that and some other things to go over when I get it back from the shop.
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs