Author Topic: Which axel has the stronger 3rd member?  (Read 13424 times)

Destruct O

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '06
  • You call me "Destructive" like it is a bad thing!
    • View Profile
Which axel has the stronger 3rd member?
« on: Aug 16, 2006, 09:36:10 PM »
Which axel has the stronger 3rd member? The TRD Axel or the NON-TRD Axel?
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2006, 01:21:25 PM by Destruct O »
Destruct O

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the stronger axel?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2006, 09:59:25 PM »
all in all they should be about the same... there are a lot more options available for the venerable 8" though

the non trd tacoma axle is supposedly 8" as well, but have nothing in common with the older 8" diffs and are not interchaneable... the taco diff you speak of has been dubbed the 8.4 or 8.25 diff because it uses a larger diameter mounting bolt pattern and because more space inside the housing necessary to accommodate the larger bearing cap that this axle has. The extra strength of this diff comes from the bearing cap/truss and large diameter pinion gear shaft. Twelve 12mm ring gear bolts, 30 spline pinion shaft.

Aftermarket parts have so far been fairly limited for this diff.  At this time, the only LSD available is the TRD/Kazuma clutch-type 3-pinion LSD, the OEM 4-pinion Tundra TRD LSD, and the only lockers available are the Powertrax "Lock-right,"  "No-Slip," and the ARB Air Locker (RD-89). Update- Tractech also now makes a Detroit Softlocker and Truetrac for this diff.

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

HOODLUM

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Wrecking Crew
    • View Profile
    • rightcoast4x4.com
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2006, 01:22:25 PM »
Which is the stronger Axel? The TRD Axel or the NON-TRD Axel?

The axle shaft itself is the same the only dif is weather or not you have ABS or not. As far as the dif goes the TRD has the E-locker the non TRD doesn't
99 TACO 2.7 4CYL  HP d-60 front d-70 rear 5:13's and detroits 63" chevy rear springs second gen rears up front.

http://rightcoast4x4.com/

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2006, 03:12:35 PM »
The TRD rears with the elocker have a week housing especially around the spring pads. Not sure if the non TRD is the same. Also the stock ring gears on the elocker are junk. If you run the elocker, change the gears to aftermarket. The housing can be beefed up easily.

Sisyphus

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2006, 07:30:15 PM »

Aftermarket parts have so far been fairly limited for this diff.  At this time, the only LSD available is the TRD/Kazuma clutch-type 3-pinion LSD, the OEM 4-pinion Tundra TRD LSD, and the only lockers available are the Powertrax "Lock-right,"  "No-Slip," and the ARB Air Locker (RD-89). Update- Tractech also now makes a Detroit Softlocker and Truetrac for this diff.

I have a full Detroit locker in the rear of my Taco (non TRD)  I just got it in June, is it a new model?

Bender

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2006, 07:29:54 AM »
Check here:  http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

I'm not sure who is naming these things, but the 8" insn't actually 8 inches and the 8.4/8.25 is closer to 8.  Strange system.  Maybe a metric to standard conversion problem?  Erik's page indicates that the 8.4 is a stronger third than the 8.  There have been plenty of reports of problems with the TRD rear ends on the new (larger) tacomas and it's the same setup as the older TRD rears. 

I just picked up an 8.4" housing and plan to build it to replace my 8" eventaully. 

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:42:22 AM »
When you are talking about Tacoma housings, they are all the same. However,if you are talking about the third memebers, the non-TRD wins the test. The non-TRD has a bearing cap that raps around the ring gear to other side, which connects both caps. The TRD version is just a glorified version of the the standard V6 8" that everyone runs.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2006, 01:19:04 PM »
Sorry! Yes I am refering to the 3rd member, I should of put in which is the stronger 3rd member. I have been hearing that Toyotas have a bad reputation for having a small, weak ring and pinion, they never say if it is the 8" or the 8.4" housing or if it is the stock gears or aftermarket gears.
Destruct O

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Re: Which axel has the stronger 3rd member?
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2006, 05:58:51 PM »
Toyota 3rd's aren't weak for the most part. Just the ring and pinion in the TRD elocker 3rd. The other 3rds have been holding togeather through lots of abuse. Even the weak link in the TRD can be taken care of with a quality set of aftermarket ring and pinions.
As a rule you don't want to go as low as 5.71 to keep a strong pinion.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2006, 12:02:30 PM »
T
Toyota 3rd's aren't weak for the most part. Just the ring and pinion in the TRD elocker 3rd. The other 3rds have been holding togeather through lots of abuse. Even the weak link in the TRD can be taken care of with a quality set of aftermarket ring and pinions.
As a rule you don't want to go as low as 5.71 to keep a strong pinion.

I believe the TRD ring and pinion is the same as a V6 ring and pinion.  I have heard that the only weak point is around the spring pads which is why I switched to an 86 rear end.  I could be wrong however.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2006, 12:57:46 PM »
You are correct, the spring pad area is weak.  The factory 4.10 ring gear in the TRD is also very weak. They are notorious for shredding teeth off the ring. The aftermarket replacements do not have this problem.

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2006, 09:03:51 PM »
sorry off topic.   i have been thinking about swaping the thredmenber in my 1994 pickup for a trd elocker, do you thinking i should swap threds or swap the hole rear end.
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2006, 09:51:56 PM »
If you want a little more width, swap the whole thing. If you are ok with the width, just swap the 3rd.
If you swap the whole thing, make sure you beef up the housing around the spring perches and run some kind of anti wrap bar so you don't twish the housing.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2006, 09:17:50 AM »
Fireball

Are you sure about the difference between the taco housing from 95-04. TRD or not.  Can you provide some pics

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »
Which differance?
Yes they are wider. 60" for the Taco, 58.5 for the early ifs and 55 for the earlier ones.
As far as the weak suck housing, here ya go...........

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2006, 02:15:29 PM »
So what you are saying, is the Tacoma housings are weaker than the mini truck stuff, not that the TRD is weaker than the Tacoma?

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2006, 09:21:49 PM »
negative, the TRD is weaker. I don't have any first hand experience with the open taco rear.
This was a TRD elocker taco rear in my '90 4runner with no traction bar on 38's and I was babying it since it was it's first trip out.

Stinky

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 636
  • Member since Aug '05
  • my wifes vagine, it hangs like a sleeve of wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2006, 09:13:48 PM »
how is all this true about mountin holes being different fron taco/trd :pokinit: when ppl put the e-locker 33rd in their 1st/2nd gen trucks....????

im lost here ppl......someone do their homework and put the right info on herrre....
87 p/u SAS, 22RE, built, then cut up and scrapped

94 ex cab P/U, SR5, fully loaded, 3.4 swap, r150f, a/c, bumpers, 33s, glass fenders...sold

00 Stoopid Duty 250, ex cab, lariat, v-10,000

94 reg cab, 22re, duals, 38.5 boggers, sas, 4 link, tube bed, build underway... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967836

88 Samurai, soa, buick 3.8, th350, zuki case, 1/4 done... anyone wanna buy it??

Sisyphus

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2006, 11:29:15 PM »
how is all this true about mountin holes being different fron taco/trd shirt when ppl put the e-locker 33rd in their 1st/2nd gen trucks....????

im lost here ppl......someone do their homework and put the right info on herrre....

Its the difference between the 8.4" standard and 8.0" trd Tacoma rearend.  The older toys use an 8.0" setup similar to the new TRDs that will fit with slight modification. 

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:28:53 PM »
I wonder if some body made a mistake at Toyota?
I do not understand why Toyota put the 8" 3rd member with the e locker on the TRD models, instead of putting in the 8.4" with a e-locker and give the NON-TRD models the 8" 3rd member with the option of a e-locker. You would think the would put the heavier duty 3rd member on the TRD package. Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the 1997 FJ80 Land Cruiser have a 9.5 3rd member and that rig was locked front middle and rear from the factory with a e-locker ?
Destruct O

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:42:12 PM »
Bigger dosen't always mean stronger! I would say that an 8'' third may be slightly weaker than a 8.4 taco third but the axles are stronger in my opinion. The differences in strength arent comparable enough to justify buying one over the other. When pushing the limits of these axles, apples and oranges still make juice just a little different taste.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2006, 05:06:26 PM »
Bigger dosen't always mean stronger! I would say that an 8'' third may be slightly weaker than a 8.4 taco third but the axles are stronger in my opinion. The differences in strength arent comparable enough to justify buying one over the other. When pushing the limits of these axles, apples and oranges still make juice just a little different taste.

I like apple and orange juice.

I ran my first generation differentials with 5.29s and they held up surprisingly well with 40" Ground Hawgs....
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2006, 01:11:47 PM »
"Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the 1997 FJ80 Land Cruiser have a 9.5 3rd member and that rig was locked front middle and rear from the factory with a e-locker ?"

The front was still an 8". A high pinion e-locker.