Author Topic: Silverwood-Jeep Trail-Pinacles-Dishpan Report  (Read 5063 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Silverwood-Jeep Trail-Pinacles-Dishpan Report
« on: Jun 11, 2006, 10:07:44 PM »
The Spinnin Fours on our monthly run took a trip into the San Bernardino Nat. Forest, we started the west side by Silverwood lake on forest road 2n33 a green route to 2n17x a black route. We aired down and since I was elected to lead the run I made the 1st attempts on a rock ledge in my new rig at the start of trail. I decided to hit the hard section head on......... ooops! Fred says he got a real good shot of my new Klune-V, sure glad I was going really sloooooow. I backed down from my perch and tryed another line which brought the same results, so I backed down and tryed another angle and finally climbed up. Now that I showed everyone all the wrong lines to take we had no futher issues on that obstacle. A little futher up there is a steep loose and very long hill climb that even some very well set up rigs have had issues with and since there are several routes of different difficulties we took the middle route which is the loosest section but doesn't require 36" tires to keep from bottoming out. It's a long way down to try and back up. Of course I again took the wrong line and almost rolled again which could have been real ugly. I slowly backed up until all 4 wheels were on Terra firma and tryed a new line which was a little better but still provided some good air, most of which came mostly from my butt pucker.

The next section which is just off the main trail Paul wanted to try which is fun and ended at a section that some may have tryed in the past. It's very tough climb over a huge hole that bites hard if you don't hit the right line. Let me run down the non-damaged..... The guy from the Big Dawgs BB since he thought better of trying it Scott, Brian and myself, I guess it's a Sammi thing. All others suffered some damage some more some less. Paul tryed it 1st and showed us the max damage the ledge could cause, he ended up with a few new dents on the right-side in the door and rear wheel well area, Brian and Scott slid through next and then they put out the triple dog dare to me so I had to try it. It wasn't in my plans since I've seen that it will put you on your side quicker than saying superkalifragulisticexpealadoshish, yeah it's a slow roll but it's to late to do anything except stab the gas and pray when it starts to go. I think it was Wilson who stepped up next, can you say monument? No amount of ponies in the world were gonna drag this stallion through, just way to big to squeeze through without some serious angles and body re-alignment so he backed out and tryed the right side which promptly made him a monument again. Paul tugged him off his perch. Scott's buddy lined his Cherokee up next and did real well until his right rear tire fell in the hole and chewed up his right rear quarter panel. That left Fred in his Toyota extracab pickup truck, all I have to say is he's lucky that he armor-all'ed it, that steel sure saved the back of his bed.

From there we headed towards Devil's hole area and Dishpan and had lunch on the heli-pad and watch a helicopter extract someone that had been injured across the canyon, it was interesting to watch and we were hoping they didn't need to use the pad we were sitting on. After lunch most decided to head for home before getting to the real reason for being there and were given directions to get out. With only myself, Paul and Fred left we trekked over to Dishpan bypassing the Devil's Hole area since that route can take some time to get through and we wanted Dishpan. We stopped at Deepcreek and relaxed on the beach for a while, shedding a few tears over the stupid bridge.... there was a Honda Accord parked on the other side.

Once rejuvenated we headed up Dishpan, I noticed right away that there it is much more dicey with rocks through this section but with my new Klune-V and three lows I walked right through. Paul and Fred with much larger rigs had to work a little harder but got through with very little effort. From there it was a walk in the park but be warned the shock of the devastation from the fire is overwhelming, there is no tree cover and you now realize where you are in respect to other trails since you can now see for miles. The real fun began at the waterfall, with me in the lead I decided that I should go around until I get a feel for my new rig, I had to work the Klune-V real hard since this is the first section that showed I need a front locker, but with good guidance and my will to not damage my truck which I didn't do clawed and scratched through. I still say driving straight up the falls is best and easiest. After watching me both Paul and Fred decided that I am right, not that Paul had even considered going around and they both were on top in minutes, maybe once I feel a little more secure in my new rig I'll take the fast lane.

Just a few more minutes and we'll be done now but in saying or thinking that something is bound to happen, I don't know how it happened but Paul ended up in a hole on his side, Brian had to crawl out the rear window to get out, Paul says his 4Runner hit something which stopped him dead in his tracks with a loud bang and pushed him into the hole. Fortunately I couldn't find any real body damage. Meanwhile I put myself on a ledge that I could not back down from or I would also ended up on my side or maybe even my lid, and since I was alone because I unknowingly lost my tail left my truck to find Paul in his little problem. Once we allowed Paul, Sharon, Brian and his girlfriend vent and calm down for a minute we went and dealt with my issue, basically I was OK I just wanted someone to watch as I dived into this offcamber hole to get across. Once I drove through Paul and Fred took the route through the hole that kept you from having to get offcamber. From there it was on to 3n16 and Taco's, Burritos and chips & salsa in Arrowbear.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2006, 10:19:31 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Silverwood-Jeep Trail-Pinacles-Dishpan Report
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2006, 10:11:16 PM »
Here's some pictures of the run:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2006, 10:12:55 PM »
The last three pictures are of my new rig, cute little thing ain't it.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2006, 10:16:02 PM »

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2006, 10:17:51 PM »

rocktoy83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Male Posts: 505
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »
Looks like you had sum fun in your new  :driving:

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2006, 04:27:39 PM »
2n17X is a nice fun trail for a saturday froadin fix. nice pis thanks
Wayne

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2006, 10:00:20 AM »
Ah! So this is some of what we will be looking forward to in Sept. as well :popcorn: 

:bud:  GIT'R DUN!! Can't wait to check it out!
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2006, 09:40:54 AM »
I'll also look through the threads on my board and shoot you the links so you can get a better idea on what to expect.

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 153
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2006, 10:45:16 AM »
Whoa.  I lived in Hesperia when I was a kid and we always used to do that trail.  Haven't seen it in over 10 years. 
Cool. 
But, wait, they put a bridge over Deep Creek?!!?  Up at the top or somewhere else?  That sucks!

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2006, 09:15:24 AM »
Whoa.  I lived in Hesperia when I was a kid and we always used to do that trail.  Haven't seen it in over 10 years. 
Cool. 
But, wait, they put a bridge over Deep Creek?!!?  Up at the top or somewhere else?  That sucks!

It's a huge cement bridge that goes over the creek so no driving in the water anymore. You would probably remember that if you've been there. Sucks for sure, now you can get anything across. They did it to stop siltation downstream but created a larger problem of people swimming in the creek instead. I thought of taking a picture of it when we were there but why would I want something so depressing as that. Here's some more pictures through a link by another club member......

http://spinninfours.com/trips/silverwood6_06/

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2006, 11:18:34 PM »
That is a sweet samurai, and looks like some bitchin trail. Seems like you guys spend alot of time with tires in the air though?
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2006, 11:25:14 PM »
Rocksurfer has been lookin a little skinny lately. He just needs to gain a little weight to keep that front driver tire down  :think:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco