Author Topic: Permanently removing rear ABS actuator?  (Read 13337 times)

mt_goat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Permanently removing rear ABS actuator?
« on: Apr 16, 2006, 10:41:59 AM »
Ok, I have driven my 93 ex-cab about 8 years now without a rear ABS sensor and the ABS computer unplugged and now I'd like to get rid of this:

so I can use that space for something much more fun (aquamist system). I can handle the by-pass for the PS high and low pressure lines, but what has to be done to by-pass the brake lines that go in and out of this thing?

One line runs to the MC

and the other goes to the rear LSPV.

Anyone done this or know how to do it?
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011, 10:57:19 AM by mt_goat »
Dale

"America is in a hole and it's getting deeper every day. We import 70% of our oil at a cost of $700 billion a year - four times the annual cost of the Iraq war."  T. Boone Pickens
 Check out the plan: http://www.pickensplan.com/ and http://www.cngnow.com/EN-US/Pages/default.aspx

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
Re: Permanently removing rear ABS actuator?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2006, 10:24:55 AM »
My rig is the exact same setup, except mine is a '94.  I too removed my ABS from the mix, as ABS is really designed for panicky people who like to stand on the brake pedal.   :)  ABS has no business being off-road anyway.

I left my actuator installed, as my power steering is plumbed to it (which provides the pumping action when ABS decides to kick in at unwanted times).  I did however, re-plumb my rear brake line, bypassing the actuator altogether and simplifying the brake system.  At the same time, I :pokinit:-canned my LSPV during this project.  The LSPV makes as much sense as ABS in my mind.

In your second pic, you're pointing at the rear line.  This should route to an "L" located on the passenger side wheel well.  From this "L" junction, it routes forward to the ABS actuator.  From there, it routes back to the LSPV and then to the drums.  There is a return line that routes back toward the front that ties in with the "T", providing extra fluid when the LSPV decides to starve the rear drums.  Apologies if you already know this info; just laying out the architecture.

Here's what I did:

GOAL = rid myself of ABS and the LSPV.  While some folks will provide resistance to this theory, I have loved it and never regretted it.

Step 1:  I purchased 10ft of Earl's braided hose at Summit Racing (EAR-610003ERL).  In conjunction, you must also purchase two ends (EAR-640303ERL).  This was the easiest way to get a custom line all the way back.  This line will connect to the "L" junction (mentioned earlier) and connect directly to the flexible line that was routed to the LSPV.  You've now bypassed the LSPV and can remove that POS.  While this setup isn't DOT approved (why would it be, because I did it); it far exceeds DOT specifications, when installed properly.  If you are good at bending brake line, you could reuse the return line and use it instead of the braided line.  A decent bender will cost ~$5 and if you take your time and plan out the bends, this is a good option.  I tried this and it looked like crap, so I had to replace.

Step 2:  Disconnect the return line coming from the rear that connects to the left-hand side of the "T".  Plug that hole one of two ways.  Get a 10mm 1.0 bolt and plug it; works, but not too sexy.  Or, remove the "T" and fill the hole with a weld.  Grind it smooth and you have a VERY strong "L".  I started with the bolt plugging the hole, but I hated it.  Be sure to set your voltage low when filling this pup, because you'll melt the hell of it.

Step 3:  You've now bypassed the LSPV and the ABS.  All you have left are extra brake lines running all over the place.  My advice is to cut it in several places (especially near bends, turns, etc.).  Start dissected them from your rig.  If your actuator is staying put, plug the holes with 2 x 10mm 1.0 bolts and you're all set.  I made some custom plugs using old bleeder screws.

While I only listed 3 steps, it's actually quite a process and takes some time figuring things out.  I'll take some pics of my setup, if you need reference points.  BTW, I considered installing a proportional valve, but haven't seen the need for it.  You'll see write-ups on proportioning valves and guys locking up their brakes without one.  Sure, your tires will lock the first time you jump on the brakes, but that is typically your rear shoes settling into position.  They won't lock up after a couple good hard brakes.  I don't have an issue with locking up the rear, because I don't tail-gate and try not to speed.  I just drive to the conditions of the road.  Pretty simple...

P.S.  Do yourself a favor and get some speed bleeders (RUS-639560).  If you don't already have them, you'll be pissed you went this long without 'em.  They make bleeding your brakes almost fun.  :)

If you need more specifics, let me know...  I'm happy to share my experiences.

***  SAS'ed '94 ext. cab - V6 auto - 4.88's - TrueTrac front & rear  ***

mt_goat [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2006, 10:47:52 AM »
Wow thanks for all the info!  Mods please give Saber 100 turtle points from me :ladys-man: and may God bless that cute little girl of yours.

I hadn't thought about a braided line all the way to the back :idea:   I'll look into all this.  I have a little different goal right now than you.  I want to keep my LSPV so it looks like all  I need to do is run a line from this L

back to the LSVP which is where it goes now after it runs through the aBS actuator. :crossed:

Thanks again :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011, 10:58:27 AM by mt_goat »
Dale

"America is in a hole and it's getting deeper every day. We import 70% of our oil at a cost of $700 billion a year - four times the annual cost of the Iraq war."  T. Boone Pickens
 Check out the plan: http://www.pickensplan.com/ and http://www.cngnow.com/EN-US/Pages/default.aspx

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2006, 11:16:47 AM »
You got it...  That'll be an easy project.

P.S.  Thanks for the complement; my little girl got her looks from her mom.    :thumbs:

mt_goat [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2006, 11:56:13 AM »
Thanks, I found the hose and ends at Summit.  Is it hard to put the ends on the hose?  I guess the hose is cut to length before you put the ends on?  Thanks very much for those part#, that made it much easier :thumbs:
Dale

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »
Piece of cake on the hose ends; pretty detailed instructions come with the hose.

I forgot to mention that you'll still need to plug the bottom left hole on the "T" (when referring to the last pic).

The only PITA about the braided hose will be the fact that there will be no movable ends, like the stock hard lines.  Once the hose ends are on, it's all one piece and has to move as one piece.  There is an easy solution, as silly as it sounds.  First, screw one end into the LSPV, then tackle the front.  You will have to remove the entire bracket (and attached lines) that holds both the "L" and the "T" and twist the whole thing onto the hose.  Then reattach the hard line feeds.  Not sure if this makes sense, but you'll know when you make the switch.   ;)  Not a big deal in the end, because you'll need to bleed the system anyway...

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2006, 02:46:52 PM »
Forgot to ask if you're in the market for some aftermarket torsion bars?  I have a fairly new set 25mm Sway-Away that barely have a full year on them.  The stock (which it looks like you have) are only 22mm.  From what the tech documentation says, that extra 3mm provides something like a 65% spring rate increase.  I'd be happy to get $50 for the both.  Let me know...

mt_goat [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2006, 03:58:33 PM »

I forgot to mention that you'll still need to plug the bottom left hole on the "T" (when referring to the last pic).

Why would I need to plug that if I'm keeping the LSPV?

How much for shipping on the t-bars to 73013?  I have Downey 26mm bars now but they are too stiff even with years of use.  Maybe the 25mm would be a little softer. 

Thanks for the install tips.

Dale

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2006, 09:38:38 AM »
 :headscratch:  Hmmm...  Never mind.  Not sure what I was thinking on that one.  Forgot that is the return line from the LSPV.  Having an actuator and LSPV makes those lines run all over the place.

As for shipping, I couldn't imagine UPS ground would be much.  I'm guessing no more than $15.

Here's some more info on those torsion bars:

http://www.swayaway.com/PowerBarz%20frameset.htm

I was way off on the spring rate too.  Must have had some funky shiz fall in my cereal yesterday.   :hammerhead:

mt_goat [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2006, 10:11:34 AM »
:headscratch:  Hmmm...    Must have had some funky shiz fall in my cereal yesterday.   :hammerhead:

I have that problem all the time. 

I ordered the 10' line and fittings, 10' looks just bearly long enough?  Fittings are back-ordered though.

Let me think about the t-bars, not sure if going from 26mm to 25mm is going to make enough difference.
Dale

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »
10' is just right, leaving you at least 6 inches to cut off if you'd like (depending upon how you route).  I originally bought this setup to create two breather units for each of my solid axles, as the 10mm 1.0 fittings fit perfectly in the diff vent.  I then got the hair to rework my whole brake setup and voila!, I had the right parts.   :gap:

As for the torsion bars, I'm not sure if 1mm would make a difference either.  If you know of anyone who may need 'em, let me know.

BTW, have you bled your power steering yet.  I'd like to do this, but I've found mixed procedures out there.  The Toyota manual of course says it needs to be done by Toyota  :smack:.  Others say it's easy, but provide no details.  Any tips would be appreciated.

mt_goat [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2006, 08:40:05 AM »
I flushed my PS system once.  I basicly followed the tips on this thread:
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=37908&highlight=power+steering

I had to refill my reservior after every turn during the flush to make sure the pump didn't run dry.  I must have used 2 quarts of ATF (Mobil 1 ATF was my choice).
Dale