Author Topic: 88' SAS with a 4.3/700r4 conversion  (Read 2343 times)

Duckman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Samurai master
    • View Profile
88' SAS with a 4.3/700r4 conversion
« on: Oct 20, 2003, 06:19:09 PM »
I am currently putting together an 88' pickup with a typical 4.3/700r4 combo.  Has anyone done this before and what were the problems you ran into.  My truck is only a frame right now so I am not sure of driveshaft angles (especially the front shaft hitting the tranny pan).  I have welded on so far an All Pro SAS with 5" lift springs.  I believe it will not be any higher even with the added brackets and shackles because of the extra weight of the V-6.  Will my driveshaft angle in front be too excessive for running down the highway with the hubs locked with 5" of lift?  I really only want a single t-case so the only way of helping the situation is adding a high-pinion (which i dont really want) How far back does the t-case have to go. I think I am going with the front range offroad crossmember that bolts to the back of the t-case.  That way I can weld the mounts wherever I want.  Has anyone used a tranny from TCI or Jet Performance and how was it?  Also, what kind of diff gearing should I run.  I want to be one step lower than stock for the 4.3 V-6 while running 35's :biggthumpup: Thanks in advance for any help.
Don't make fun of my tiny driveshaft!!!

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
Re:88' SAS with a 4.3/700r4 conversion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2003, 07:39:27 AM »
I would think the 700r4 is longer then the toy trans but I'm not sure..If it is The drive line angle should be fine with the added length of the tranny.If you are using a toy t-case then there is the adapter so I think you are looking good..As far as gears I would run 4.88.I think 5.29 will be too small for the power you are running if you are heavy on the skinny pedal..Sounds like a kewl project. :biggthumpup:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Duckman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Samurai master
    • View Profile
Re:88' SAS with a 4.3/700r4 conversion
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2003, 08:35:14 AM »
I know the adapter is out there.  I am not worried about overall driveline length like you said, it is about the same by a few inches.  I am worried about the front driveshaft angle.  What angle would I have with about five inches of lift.  All Pro says that even with a CV, it will max out with all of the suspension flex.
Don't make fun of my tiny driveshaft!!!

yotafreak

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 88' SAS with a 4.3/700r4 conversion
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2004, 10:27:54 PM »
Just a note. As far as what Downey and NW offroad are concerned your t-case doesn't need to move. With the bolt in motor mounts and the short adapter from AA the 700r4 is the same length as toyota tranny so the stock x-member would work (not that you would want to use it.) I've also seen shims to shift the x-member frwd or back a couple of inches.
I understand the "Jeep Thing", that's why I drive a Toyota!

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
Re: 88' SAS with a 4.3/700r4 conversion
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2004, 09:22:38 PM »
I think ur driveshaft angle will be allright i have a friend with a 7 inch skyjacker suspension lift and 2 inch shackles and 3 inch body and he is running a 350 with a turbo 350 a downey adapter too duel toyota transfer cases and his front driveshaft angle is not that bad his back driveshaft is not very good but the front is ok havent got the truck out and drove it yet still work in progress but should be running by the end of the weekend.
But truck had same set up with 4 banger and 5speed and stock transfercase and driveshaft angle was fine so i wouldent worry about what they said about ur 5 inch lift.
just my .02 cents
good luck with the build
adam
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.