Author Topic: Out with the 3.slow in with the 3.4 and it just dont stop!  (Read 65486 times)

coconut

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Doing a3.4 swap in a 91 pickup . going w/ ORS conversion kit. and a couple of things.Ive been researching my options and decided to stay Yoda all the way.As for my 3.0 not really happy w/ the performance that it gave me so out it goes . its actually a rebuilt w/ about 12K on it,I'm just gonna make my life alittle difficult for the next couple of months . so heres a few pics of the truck that I'm gonna be doing the swap on...
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2006, 10:14:52 PM by coconut »
91 std pick up,3.4 swap, R151w/doubled up 4.7 in the rear, twin sticks, FROR x member,Marlins 4"sas w/ a 85 SA, high pinion ARB, 30 spline longs,chevy rear w/ ARB's and sitting on 36 iroks w/ beadlock speciality wheels

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Out with the 3.slow in with the 3.4
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:54:20 PM »
sweet looking truck
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:16:32 PM »
91 std pick up,3.4 swap, R151w/doubled up 4.7 in the rear, twin sticks, FROR x member,Marlins 4"sas w/ a 85 SA, high pinion ARB, 30 spline longs,chevy rear w/ ARB's and sitting on 36 iroks w/ beadlock speciality wheels

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:18:19 PM »
pulled the motor yesterday :thumbs:

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 153
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
Which kit did you get from ORS?  Is it the basic kit or one of the other two? 
Sounds like fun.  I want to do this in the future too, so keep us posted.

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:40:55 PM »
 •3.4L Full Conversion Kit - '89-'95 Truck/4Runner
$1625.00 ORS-EC020 Manual Transmission
$2195.00 ORS-EC022 Auto Transmission
This kit includes all NEW parts necessary for the conversion. This kit is VERY complete and is designed to prevent the customer from going to the parts store 20 times during the conversion. The idea is to literally open the box and perform the conversion with high quality new parts. These parts are package priced to save the customer money in the long run. We highly suggest the Full Kit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which kit did you get from ORS? Is it the basic kit or one of the other two?
Sounds like fun. I want to do this in the future too, so keep us posted.

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:47:12 PM »
Off Road Solutions
3.4L Conversion Kit
'89-'95 Truck, '90-'95 4Runner, Manual Transmission, 3.0L Equipped

This kit is designed to allow the easy installation of a Toyota 3.4L engine into an older Toyota Truck or 4Runner. It is based on several conversions performed in our own shop over the years. Here is some information that should be helpful before starting your conversion.

The 3.4L, 5VZ-FE was released mid-year 1995 into Tacoma trucks and T100 trucks. It is the predecessor to the 3.0L, 3VZ-E. The engine code means that it is the 5th engine in the "VZ" family. "F" represents dual overhead camshafts in each engine head. The intake camshaft is driven by the timing belt, which turns the exhaust camshaft by way of a "scissor" gear. Anybody who's into Toyotas will know the "E" represents electronic fuel injection. This motor was also released into the 3rd generation 4Runners (1996-2002) and base model Tundras. It is still sold in Tacomas and Tundras.

There are many advantages that lead people to use this power plant in place of other conventional choices. The 3.4L takes advantage of late model technology. It is lightweight yet powerful, producing 190HP at 4800 RPM and 220 lb-ft torque at 3600 RPM. It is equipped with a smooth Toyota multi-port fuel injection system using a distributor-less ignition system and OBDII diagnostics. Its dual overhead camshaft design makes it efficient on fuel and offers great opportunity for power upgrades. This motor LOVES forced induction modifications, such as the beloved TRD Supercharger system. This engine also fits very well into a Toyota truck or 4Runner. Because of its size and components the conversion can look "factory" if performed properly. Don't forget- one huge advantage is the "cool factor" of swapping in a late model Toyota motor!

Although the 5VZ-FE has been around for years it has many versions varying by model and year. There are several things to be aware of when considering this swap and purchasing the ORS conversion kit.

If your vehicle has a 3VZ-E engine, this kit allows the use of your factory transmission. The R150 (manual) transmission is nearly identical to the unit placed behind a 5VZ-FE from the factory. If you are using a manual transmission, the 3.4L engine needs to come from a manual transmission vehicle. In SELECT year models we have found a difference in crankshaft machining from the factory. In these instances an engine from an automatic transmission application will not accept a pilot bearing. Another reason to purchase a manual transmission "package" is the difference in electronics. The engine ECU and the engine wiring harness are completely different manual to auto. Based off experience, we recommend purchasing all the used parts from the same manual transmission vehicle. Once again, purchasing all used parts from the same donor vehicle has been proven to prevent grouchy mood swings.

There are also many discrepancies in factory wiring configurations between years and models. This makes it very difficult to match the ORS conversion harness to your vehicle. This is another great reason to purchase all the donor parts from the same vehicle.

Another concern is the oil dipstick placement. All Tacoma, 4Runner, and Tundra models have the dipstick placed in the front of the motor, in the oil pump housing. During the conversion, the dipstick will be moved toward the rear of the engine to accommodate the conversion oil pan. 1999 and earlier models have a machined hole with a removable plug where the dipstick will be installed. In 2000 and later models this hole no longer exists and will need to be drilled to perform the conversion. If curious when shopping for an engine, inspect the block directly underneath the left side engine mount just above the oil pan for the hole.

There are many ways that the exhaust system can be done in this conversion. If performance exhaust is desired, we recommend using the Downey header system with a custom crossover. This is available through ORS. When using the Downey system, exhaust will need to be routed down both sides of the bell housing to a custom crossover pipe underneath the vehicle. Earlier Toyotas were designed to have the exhaust routed down the driver side of the vehicle. With this header setup care must be taken when routing the exhaust down the passenger side to be clear of fuel lines, brake lines, and the drive shaft.

It is also possible to re-use the factory exhaust manifolds from the 3.4L engine. When using the factory manifolds the crossover pipe exits on the passenger side. Once again, it is more difficult to route the exhaust on the passenger side. ORS recommends building a custom crossover pipe behind the engine that routes the exhaust down the driver side. We have found that this allows a cleaner and easier exhaust system installation. When purchasing engines, note the exhaust manifold type. In 2000 and earlier models the 5VZ was equipped with traditional cast steel exhaust manifolds. In 2001 Toyota released a tubular style exhaust manifold with better flow properties. The latter will yield a small gain in performance.

Once the headers or factory manifolds are in place, a custom exhaust will need to be built on your vehicle. If emission regulations are a concern, it is the customer's responsibility to research the local regulations to ensure the modifications will be legal. If the donor vehicle had 2 catalytic converters (most California spec vehicles), 2 converters will need to be installed to satisfy the ECU's emission controls. If the donor vehicle only had 1 converter, 1 good replacement will suffice. There will need to be 2 oxygen sensor ports. 1 will be placed before the catalytic converter(s) but after the crossover. The other will need to be placed after the catalytic converter(s). We strongly recommend using Toyota or OEM quality replacement oxygen sensors. The choice of muffler, materials, diameter, etc. will be up to the customer. We recommend using a 2.25" or 2.5" diameter, depending on your performance plans. Off Road Solutions can build a mandrel exhaust system from your vehicle in mild steel or stainless steel. Any local exhaust shop should also be able to build a mandrel or traditional system tailored to your needs.

Another concern we have found is that this engine is physically too tall to fit under the hood of your vehicle without modifications. The intake plenum is taller than that of the 3VZ-E, not allowing the assembly to fit between the suspension and the hood. We have found that a small amount of hood trimming or a 2" body lift will cure this problem. The kit includes a stencil for cutting the proper hole in the hood. In most cases we have found that a small hood scoop will cover the hole cleanly. Body lift kits and hood scoops are available through Off Road Solutions.

These parts are NOT included in our kit and will need to be provided by the customer from a 5VZ-FE equipped vehicle. New parts can be used, however, used parts are most commonly used.

5VZ-FE longblock- new, remanufactured, or used
Both exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe (unless using a header system)
Intake manifold
Intake plenum with throttle body
All items on motor related to fuel injection such as injectors, fuel rail, vsv's, sensors, throttle body, etc.
Alternator and bracketry
Power steering pump and bracketry
A/C compressor and bracketry
Spark plugs (6)
Spark plug wire set
Cylinder coil packs (3)
Engine (injector) wiring harness
ECU
Igniter assembly
Intake system- tubing, air box, air filter. If upgrading ORS can provide any upgraded system on the market.
Evaporative canister (optional)
Evaporative vapor pressure sensor
Evaporative vapor pressure VSV
Evaporative purge VSV
Starter assembly
Air flow meter
Flywheel with mounting hardware
If purchased used, the price of these parts can vary. On average we see this package sell for about $3000 from a low mileage vehicle.

The following parts will need to be re-used from your vehicle if in good condition. If these parts are not in good condition ORS can offer replacements.

Radiator- 3VZ-E application
3.0L fan assembly
3.0L fan clutch assembly
Off Road Solutions offers 3 different 3.4L conversion kits for '89-'95 Toyota trucks and 4Runners originally equipped with the 3VZ-E engine and a manual transmission. ORS also offers these parts separately. All Off Road Solutions 3.4L Conversion Kits are priced as a package. This saves the customer substantial money over buying the products separately. See the products section of our website for pricing information.

The first is the Full Kit. This kit includes all NEW parts necessary for the conversion. This kit is VERY complete and is designed to prevent the customer from going to the parts store 20 times during the conversion. The idea is to literally open the box and perform the conversion with high quality new parts. These parts are package priced to save the customer money in the long run. We highly suggest the Full Kit, please read over what is included:

Conversion wiring harness
High pressure power steering hose
High pressure fuel hose
Fuel return hose
Power steering return hose
Battery relocation tray
Clutch hose relocation bracket
Clutch hydraulic hose
Motor mounts
Motor mount brackets
Lower radiator hose
Upper radiator hose
Oil pan
Oil sump assembly
Oil sump gasket
Sealer for oil pan
Oil dip stick
Oil dip stick tube
Oil dip stick tube adapter
Oil dip stick tube O-ring
Clutch pressure plate
Clutch disc
Clutch release bearing
Clutch pilot bearing
Oil filter
Spark plugs
Alternator drive belt
Power steering drive belt
A/C drive belt
Oil pump housing plug
Tap
Drain plug
Drain plug gasket
Large hose clamps
Small hose clamps
Hose routing clips
Wire loom routing clips
Misc. vacuum hose
Hood cutting template
8 gauge battery relocation cable
Fusible link wire
An extremely helpful set of instructions...

muchado

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Jan '06
  • still in the driveway...
    • View Profile
    • Muchado Productions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:40:14 AM »
very cool, great lookin truck... can't wait to hear how it'll perform......... gonna toss in the TRD supercharger too?! ;)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2006, 04:53:11 AM »
The title of this thread was all I needed to know :clap: :clap2:

Excellent move man!!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:37:40 AM »
very cool, great lookin truck... can't wait to hear how it'll perform......... gonna toss in the TRD supercharger too?! ;)
thanks , i cant wait too ... oh yea the TRD supercharger will be a must..

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:39:11 AM »
The title of this thread was all I needed to know :clap: :clap2:

Excellent move man!!
thanks mike

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2006, 11:33:01 AM »
thanks , i cant wait too ... oh yea the TRD supercharger will be a must..

This sounds to good to be true. 
Looking forward to this build.

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 247
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:51:54 PM »
  the TRD supercharger will be a must..
not if i have anything to do with it, turbo's you will be talked into.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
Can't wait to see this.  I'm really contemplating this myself, so make sure you take some good pics :thumbs:  if you need any grunt labor, let me know, I'm always up for helpin a wheeler out.  :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2006, 07:40:29 PM »
Can't wait to see this. I'm really contemplating this myself, so make sure you take some good pics :thumbs: if you need any grunt labor, let me know, I'm always up for helpin a wheeler out. :yupyup:
i gonna have to take you up on that...

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2006, 07:45:56 PM »
sold the engine tonight ... thank god that thing is gone,Ive been scouting out a few candidates today up@ rancho cordova still shopping around for the best deal .

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2006, 12:45:15 PM »
i gonna have to take you up on that...
Just say the word, and I'll be there with my muscles

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2006, 01:05:05 PM »
billy laughed his ass off at those muscles 

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2006, 01:07:26 PM »
he's gonna have his guns out there to

hammerdown

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Country Boy Can Survive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »
wheres the cheapest place you;ve found to get a supercharger?
Country Boy Can Survive

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:02:39 PM »
So have you found your new heart yet?

-Ronald Reagan

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:58:11 PM »
So have you found your new heart yet?
still looking for the motor but planning to head down south on sunday to pick up my R151 tranny

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:23:58 PM »
Sent you a PM, why you going with the R151?  ease for duals??

-Ronald Reagan

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:10:06 AM »
Sent you a PM, why you going with the R151? ease for duals??
For dual resons.

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2006, 01:28:20 PM »
this morning i pulled the spare crawler box apart to get ready for 23 spline 4.7 gears im planning to order tommarow :turtle:
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2006, 09:27:11 AM by crzyhawn91 »

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2006, 04:49:57 PM »
picked up tranny today and orderd my 23 spline 4.7 gear set yesterday so slowwwwly but surely its coming together

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2006, 04:52:32 PM »
 :clap:

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:46:55 PM »
Any plans to introduce that tranny to the pressure washer before installation?  If/when you do, I've found brake parts cleaner works GREAT to dissolve the dirt and oil stuck to the case. 

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2006, 08:17:05 PM »
yes planning on making um bling   :bling:
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2006, 08:30:00 PM by crzyhawn91 »

coconut [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2006, 08:33:00 PM »
well while i was picking up the turbo tranny dude had a spare crawl box :headscratch:  so can i say tripples? :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle: