Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 893891 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
You've probably already seen these...

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=13826.msg150357#msg150357

We choose to keep the stock 22R frame mounts and modify the Tacoma mounts on Bevin's. Of course the Tacoma uses steel brackets whereas the T100 uses aluminum..
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
coffee boy do you have any closer pics of your motor mounts I am doing my swap on my third gen now and I just wanted some pics before I finalize.... thanks man
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 121
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Thanks big mike... Yeah Ive seen that, its really clean. I might try to do that but most likely i will just move the mounts on the frame. You wouldn't happend to have any wiring notes from yours or Marilin's install for the t100 side of things? That would help me out a lot. Ive read all the threads and haven't seen anything so you proably didn't. Ive read the notes for the Tacoma but i think its not going to help me to much. thank you
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:53:44 AM by davidr34 »

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
jmsdad did you cut and make new engine mounts on your frame or just use the old one. I think I’m just going to cut mine off and make some new ones since i already got rid of the ifs just to clean it up. Thanks for that link I’m going to have to see how much alike the t100 and tacoma are wired that would be seat if that diagram works.

A few ways to do mounts...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455654&highlight=3rz+mount

I copied this guy's mount...low profile and looks stock...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475469

Specs...86 4Runner on 85 frame.  I could have been driving this by now if I didn't do the frame swap.  Weekends only project. It's taken me way longer than I expected...some weekends are not very productive. 

Here's my mount...

Here's some random pics...

Airbox from a 3.4L V6...

Fuel lines...used the tacoma lines

Made a new hi-pressure line @ the tank end.  Stock tacoma hose for reference...

Newer mini-header manifold, old one was cracked...

ECU location...

Throttle cable extension, used 22RE cable

LeftCoast

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Awesome information thread! Thanks to everyone responsible.

I have access (but not physical access) to a cheap (as in I own it already) 99 Taco 2.7 3RZ that came out of an automatic. I know some years of these motors in automatic have a crank that won't accept a pilot bearing, and was wondering if anyone knew? Also, I've heard of getting the crank machined to accept one, but curious as well if there's any other info. How specific does the injector harness need to be? I'll prolly get the harness from the same vehicle I get the 1999 manual ecu, but just checking.

If I'm stuck with this motor, what can I do with it, conversion-wise that is?. 2WD would be fine for a daily driver (2nd gen runner or pu), and I know I'd need a taco transmission (this was electric IIRC, on the donor vehicle; guy swapped everything for a 302 ford) if I were to keep it automatic. I've also been considering putting a 3rz into a 22r or 22re Winnebago camper, although wiring the camper stuff might be crazy (unless it's a seperate circuit from the drive harness?).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:46:29 AM by LeftCoast »

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Awesome information thread! Thanks to everyone responsible.

I have access (but not physical access) to a cheap (as in I own it already) 99 Taco 2.7 3RZ that came out of an automatic. I know some years of these motors in automatic have a crank that won't accept a pilot bearing, and was wondering if anyone knew? Also, I've heard of getting the crank machined to accept one, but curious as well if there's any other info. How specific does the injector harness need to be? I'll prolly get the harness from the same vehicle I get the 1999 manual ecu, but just checking.

If I'm stuck with this motor, what can I do with it, conversion-wise that is?. 2WD would be fine for a daily driver (2nd gen runner or pu), and I know I'd need a taco transmission (this was electric IIRC, on the donor vehicle; guy swapped everything for a 302 ford) if I were to keep it automatic. I've also been considering putting a 3rz into a 22r or 22re Winnebago camper, although wiring the camper stuff might be crazy (unless it's a seperate circuit from the drive harness?).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
the chassis and house wiring will be completley different harneses...
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

LeftCoast

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Great news, OREGON89CR, thanks a lot.

I want to do the Winnie conversion mainly for tailgating at  Bulls and Bucks home/close away football games, but short camping trips would work as well.

I think the 3rz would be awesome in one of these old trailers. I even saw a Toyo camper that was converted into a mobile pet grooming truck!

I know if it's not 4x4, it doesn't get much play here, but I think this would be way cool.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Great news, OREGON89CR, thanks a lot.

I want to do the Winnie conversion mainly for tailgating at  Bulls and Bucks home/close away football games, but short camping trips would work as well.

I think the 3rz would be awesome in one of these old trailers. I even saw a Toyo camper that was converted into a mobile pet grooming truck!

I know if it's not 4x4, it doesn't get much play here, but I think this would be way cool.
ya that would be super cool man.... the 3rz would prolly push that lil beast pretty well....

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
noted... be back when i do my swap or get ready to

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
so its kinda late, and i just scanned this thread for some parts list info... didnt see anything that stuck out

so i was wondering what else is needed to complete the list

motor
computer
harness
gastank
(possible oil pan)
new motor mounts
w59 bell housing since im going to use a W56 trans

what else off the top of anybodys head would be needed for a swap... it will prob go into my 86 runner but not 100% sure

sorry if this was already covered... if it has been let me know and delete this post.... thanks
 :beerchug: :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 10:31:50 AM by sillywilly »

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
so its kinda late, and i just scanned this thread for some parts list info... didnt see anything that stuck out

so i was wondering what else is needed to complete the list

motor
computer
harness
gastank
(possible oil pan)
new motor mounts
w59 bell housing since im going to use a W56 trans

what else off the top of anyboyds head would be needed for a swap... it will prob go into my 86 runner but not 100% sure

sorry if this was already covered... if it has been let me know and delete this post.... thanks
 :beerchug: :beerchug:

You might want to get a 1st gen MR2 a/c magnetic clutch setup if you plan on running the 22r compressor cause it's a 5 rib design to work with the 3rz crank pulley and will bolt up to the 22re compressor.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Here's a question for the 3RZ KB...

I found a 94/95 T100 with a 3RZ. It's a 2WD with the manual transmission. I'm glad it's 2WD, that'll save on having to find the right oil pan later. I'm not sure what transmission it has, but will the bellhousing from it be the same as a W59, and can it be used with the W56?

Also, it's missing the distributor. Are those easy to come by?

It's got 200K miles. Is that too much? The dipstick and oil cap still looked new like the PO took care of it.
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
I swapped my bell housing over from a 2wd, same thing. 200K miles is a lot, you could always do the easy stuff like pull the plugs and take a peek inside with a flash light.
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I swapped my bell housing over from a 2wd, same thing. 200K miles is a lot, you could always do the easy stuff like pull the plugs and take a peek inside with a flash light.

Good to know the 2wd bellhousing will work.  :biggthumpup:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

oldironii

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
I am planning on puting a 2rz in an 84 celica gts (stock car 4cyl modified class) and i live in the frozen north of alaska so parts get spendy fast because of shipping i bought a 04 2wd auto taco. I was wondering what tacos came with w59 trannys so i dont order the wrong bellhousing

Transmission

M.T., 4x4, 4 cyl
M.T., 4x2, 4 cyl, 15" whl
M.T., 4x4, 6 cyl
M.T., 4x2, 4 cyl, 16" whl
M.T., 4x2, 6 cyl

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
JMSDAD

Love the build it looks great, you've done an excellent job.

What year headers did you use.  I still have the old cast iron ones and would love to get ride of them.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
JMSDAD

Love the build it looks great, you've done an excellent job.

What year headers did you use.  I still have the old cast iron ones and would love to get ride of them.

Thanks...The mini header is off a 01 Tacoma.  I think Toyota started putting them in around mid 2000 for the 3RZ engines.  I have been on a long vacation and with the weather in the 100s, I haven't touch it since late May.  Now that it's cooling down a bit, I need to get off my butt and finish it up.  I think I should be able to have it driving by Aug 15. 

8T3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Just wanted to thank Big Mike for the 3rz database thread. Huge help in the swap. I posted a quick writeup on pirate of my swap on an '83. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704800 See you at the roundup.

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
the chassis and house wiring will be completley different harneses...
ive done alot of work on these chassis for uhaul and dolphin- the toyota and the "house" dont know eachother exist

that being said, a 2wd taco drivetrain would be perfect in the automatic dolphins world-the drivelines even share the same splines at the tranny side, although you would have to shorten it slightly

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
I didn't see anything posted on the differences between the dist / 2 coil / 4 coil ignition systems and I know there are questions, here are a few answers. The advantage of a coil pack system over a gear driven distributor is spark accuracy. Even when comparing brand new parts the coil pack is much more accurate than a gear driven dist and the difference gets bigger with wear. The advantage is the computer can run more timing without detonation, which makes more power and better effiecncy which both add up to better fuel economy. The 2 coil is considered a coil pack type but it has spark plug wires, so there is a little more maintenance and the additional complexity is theoretically less reliable but not really enough of concern for us. The 4 coil system is the most mechanically simple design with no spark plug wires to crossfire or fail. Also with each cylinder getting a dedicated coil for each spark plug there is more time for coil saturation and a stronger spark. Really the only concern I would have with a 4 coil is getting water down the spark plug tubes which can cause some misfiring but the only way to do that is with a pressure washer so just be careful when cleaning the motor. That's all I can think of right now but I will post up more when it comes to me.

EDIT- The 2 coil system is technically refered to as "coil pack" type and the 4 coil system is known as "coil on plug".
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2008, 07:05:24 PM by SocalWheeler71 »

brett_celicacoupe

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
hi,

im from australia and have a bit of experience with these engines. im fitting one to a MA61 supra with an eaton M90, garret GT3540 and a R154.

i havent read this whole thread but ill just chuck in what i know

i was working at toyota for a while so i was able to find out a few random facts.

-2TR-FE has the same bellhousing-block pattern and it is mated to a R151 gearbox. i managed to aquire a bellhousing so that i could bolt the 3rz to an R154 gearbox i have. i had to make a 32mm alloy spacer plate. ill get a pic of this later.

-2007 prados with the 3RZ-FE come with coil on plug ignition. personally i havent seen it but i noticed it in the parts catalogue.

-95 series prados have a deep front sump arrangement whereas the hiluxs had a mid-rear type sump.

.... ill remember more things as i think about it but thats it for now.

cheeres,
Brett

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Hey guys anyone know where I can find a set of Tacoma engine mount brackets?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'd look at the junk yard.  Just make sure they are straight before you pull them.  The truck I got my 3rz out of had some frame damage on the right front and the right side bracket is slightly tweaked because of it.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Yea, I'm in AZ and no one around here has one.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Then I think the best bet would be a Toyota dealer.  Kragen or napa probably wouldn't have parts like that.  You might try talking to people at Tap Recycling though.  I'm pretty sure they can send you some.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Then I think the best bet would be a Toyota dealer.  Kragen or napa probably wouldn't have parts like that.  You might try talking to people at Tap Recycling though.  I'm pretty sure they can send you some.

Got web addy or phone number?

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Never mind I found em.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
cool  :thumbs:

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 121
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
jmsdad where did you get the fuel line made? or how about the power steering line.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
jmsdad where did you get the fuel line made? or how about the power steering line.
any local hose supply store should be able to whip one up... or prolly a tractor supply type company

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD