Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 896787 times)

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 TIMS89CRAWLER,

If that ECU has been sitting in the elements for awhile (before you bought it), it may be bad (water, condensation gets inside and corrodes the solder connections).  Open it up and check for corrosion.  If you have access to another ECU, swap it out to verify. 

I'll try to get pics of my 'BAD' ECU and post up some pics...

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
would the truck still run without the ECU working though?
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
Anyone have any issues w/ their gauge lights not working after their swap??? My warning lights(ie. brake dummy light, back door open light, oil light, 4wd, etc., etc...) work, but when I turn the headlights on, the backing lights for the gauges do not work??? The FSM that I downloaded from NCTTORA.com doesn't have much in the way of detailed wiring schematics... Any clue as to what wires I need to start chasing? Thanks!

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile

HA! I'm gonna have to say no ;).

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Yes, in my case...I had full power, ran fine.  I just couldn't communicate with it. 

Here's what the 'bad' ECU looks like.  It looked worst than this when I first open it up.  The pic is after prodding and scraping all the corrosion off.  This is the E5 connector btw.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
hmm ok i will look into that... thanks for the help man
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 409
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
yes a ECU can run and not communicate or do many other wierd crap. just depends on what circuit has the issue inside.

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
seems the 10ohm mod for the tach works great for the coil on plug(4coils) engines as well for those wondering

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
I opened up my ECU and there is no corrosion in there... the circuit board and all components look good and clean.... I have no idea why my scanner wont communicate...

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2009, 07:30:25 AM by steve_925 »
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

tortis

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
I can get a 96 Tacoma engine, wiring harness, dash, gages, all hoses for 500 bucks, it is all still in the truck..  Now I've read on here that 97-05 are easier to wire, because of the fuse box location.   I am looking for guidance.  Should I get this 96 engine, or just wait for a 97-05 engine?

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
If it's a 3RZ I'd jump on it.

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
get it if you can grab anything you want off it. even if its a 2rz getting everything you might ever need from the donor is a big plus

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I had a full truck for my swap and used it all...so far its been pretty simple. I need to get rid of some emissions stuff but other then that im happy.

87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
i got the first set of 3rz conversion mounts done.  i will use this set to make a jig and build a few more sets.  here are some pics, they use the rubber toyota leafspring bushing.
drivers side

bottom

pass side

front

power steering res is level

and hood closes

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I really haven't got an answer on any forum and some of the toyota guys are saying it cant be done but i figured this would be the place to ask for a straight answer.

Im using the full 2000 tacoma wiring cluster and everything. My question is can i remove the evap box and not throw a cel?

How do i do it? Im finishing the bay and want to add all the brackets before paint so im not grinding fresh paint and really dont want this thing in the bay. Someone posted a pic a few pages back but i cant tell what they did and when google searched i really didnt get much.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I do believe your stuck with keeping it, as the computer has checks with the evap system and if it is not there it will trip the CEL.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
i dont have the evap system on my 96 3rz, and i have no cel on.

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Yeah the CEL will be on... but it does not effect the way it runs.

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
i dont have the evap system on my 96 3rz, and i have no cel on.

what did you do to remove it?
My build

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
there is a way to bypass it and loop it back in. believe it was posted here somewhere

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
what is the 05 and later 2.7l motor?  Is it still the 3rz?  If so anyone did the swap?  Did not read the whole thread but am thinking of doing the swap in my 86  runner soon
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
what is the 05 and later 2.7l motor?  Is it still the 3rz?  If so anyone did the swap?  Did not read the whole thread but am thinking of doing the swap in my 86  runner soon

I thought its now called the 2TR
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
yes it is a 2tr... there is a guy locally (eugene, or) that has done the 2tr in a suzuki sidekick and its badass!

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
I am wiring up a 96 4WD Standard trans engine.  The Schematic that 4rnrick has shown is for a 2000 motor, and the wiring colors, and locations are different, can someone point me in the right direction for the correct pin-outs?

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
I am wiring up a 96 4WD Standard trans engine.  The Schematic that 4rnrick has shown is for a 2000 motor, and the wiring colors, and locations are different, can someone point me in the right direction for the correct pin-outs?
your best bet is the FSM....

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Ok.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
its kinda hard to detail whats what without tearing my truck back apart and looking at it I really didnt document anything with my swap I just went at it with a voltmeter and the FSM

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Hey, TIMS89CRAWLER,

It could really help me, if you could show me which wires you used, and to where they had went on your 96 setup.  E5 which plugs into the ecu has 11 wires that plug into it.  There is also the other two larger connectors that come from the main engine harness that do not plug into the ecu.  I am just having the toughest time tracing what should get power, what should get ground, and what should go to the oil pressure guage, water temp guage, etc.  It was stated earlier that all black wires with a red stripe are +12v with the key on.  All White wires are +12v all the time.  All brown wires or white with a black stripe are grounds.  And white with red, could be either IGN or All the time 12+V.  I could even paypal you a bit of cash for your time  :).

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Hey, TIMS89CRAWLER,

It could really help me, if you could show me which wires you used, and to where they had went on your 96 setup.  E5 which plugs into the ecu has 11 wires that plug into it.  There is also the other two larger connectors that come from the main engine harness that do not plug into the ecu.  I am just having the toughest time tracing what should get power, what should get ground, and what should go to the oil pressure guage, water temp guage, etc.  It was stated earlier that all black wires with a red stripe are +12v with the key on.  All White wires are +12v all the time.  All brown wires or white with a black stripe are grounds.  And white with red, could be either IGN or All the time 12+V.  I could even paypal you a bit of cash for your time  :).
as I said without looking at it I cant remember what is what but I can tell you rite now that the engine will run without the E5 plug even plugged into the ecu... the main wires you have to worry about are the efi relay wires which are white w/red stripe need IGN 12v. coming from EFI relay and a few others in the dash to engine harness that I would have to look up to remember.... no need to pay me anything I will do my best to help you out just because I appreciate it when others do the same for me! I will open up my dash and let you know what you need when I get home from work this evening...

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD