Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 896786 times)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Since when... Painless wouldn't even consider a 5vz harness when I emailed them about that.

meaning make your own :gap:
have BigMike make you one :D
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
painless does not make a harness!! just make it yourself it is easy as hell and you only need like 3 plugs from a tacoma in a wrecking yard and look up the schematics! ors's harness was an overpriced joke in my opinion
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
meaning make your own :gap:
have BigMike make you one :D
Ok, I misunderstood. However, I do think it's kinda ridiculous that Painless isn't even remotely interested in something like this. I've already got my 3RZ harness from ORS, so I'm good to go.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
I cant believe people spend $700 on a harness from ors...... it is unbelievably easy to wire these motors up.....you can have it running with like 4 wires
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
I cant believe people spend $700 on a harness from ors...... it is unbelievably easy to wire these motors up.....you can have it running with like 4 wires

well, some of us are better w/ wiring than others. You're obviously better at it than I am. Wiring schematics make me lose my religion.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
im working on the swap, and am wondering how much the oil pan/pickup tube and all the parts to go with it costed.

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
im working on the swap, and am wondering how much the oil pan/pickup tube and all the parts to go with it costed.

get them from a salvage yard and they'll be a lot cheaper. Of course you'll have order you pick up tube gasket from Toyota, but a used oil pan never hurt anyone. The dipstick tube might be hard to come by used, they're a major beotch to take out once they're in the block.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
I lick balls at wiring and by the looks of the notes big mike has on this site it looks to be a bit more involved. Give me a tubing bender and a welder anyday but a solder gun and wiring schematic and i get a headache.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
 :rofl2: understood man! :beerchug:

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

E-9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Apr '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
It would be great if one of you guys with the knowledge posted a wiring schematic to build a plug in harness for this conversion. It would be easy to do from that point.

ChrisA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
BigMike, (or anyone else who may know)

I read through EVERYTHING.....thats right, everything. And I still can't figure out how to get the tach to work in my '82 3rz('99 Tacoma) swap. How did you end up getting it to work? In one post you said 'no go' and the next thing i knew you said it was working. I just ran the wire from the ECU that was labeled as "for tach" in my wiring diagram straight to the tach wire that I believed was for the tach signal. and guess what.....it doesn't work.

Did you have any trouble with the charge light? mine seems to stay on even though the alternator is charging.

I'm going to make an appointment with the ref next week(that is if I can get this simple stuff outta the way)

thanks mucho!!!!

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
So I am re-building a 3RZ bottom end for the swap in my '94 and I'm trying LCEs balance shaft delete.  Supposed to free up like 15 horse power.  I need somebody to race with afterwords to find out if it's true...

Has anybody else tried it?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
So I am re-building a 3RZ bottom end for the swap in my '94 and I'm trying LCEs balance shaft delete.  Supposed to free up like 15 horse power.  I need somebody to race with afterwords to find out if it's true...

Has anybody else tried it?

I thought about it when I was rebuilding my 3RZ, but I was kinda scared to do it. What all is required to compensate for the balance shafts?

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
To avoid starting a new thread, I'll post this in here... seeing as how this is the database for the 3RZ swap  :eyebrow:. Anywho, I'm swapping my 96 3RZ into my 85' 4Runner that came w/ a 22RE & automatic. I'm going to run an R150, so of course I've done all the necessary mods for the pedals and clutch master. The clutch start cancel switch, are the automatic equipped trucks already prewired for that or is that something I will have to wire up myself? Is the button pedal bracket for the clutch pedal, is that the button for the clutch call cancel wiring or is that something totally different and it needs to be wired up in order to start? I'm using an ORS swap harness and I'm not getting ANY power to the EFI pump unless I run a wire straight from the battery to the hot wire. I know on my 22RE, I had to run the jumper wire mod in order for my 22RE to run. I have since cut those wires back. Since it's still the same fuel pump, should I locate those wires and solder them together? I can't get the engine to turn over AT ALL. I'm going to let my optima sit on the charger over night tonight to see if that effects anything. It has enough power to run the dash lights, but it may not be enough to get the starter to turn over. Now, I realize if I had kept the 22RE and put in a 5spd, I would have to do trick the computer into thinking the truck was in drive or neutral at all times in order to crank. But, through my research online, that consists of messing w/ the harness in the engine bay. I no longer have the 22RE engine harness(for the most part). Can someone kinda direct me on this.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
BigMike knows, far more than I do about wiring, Let me try to get his attention for you guys.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
And I still can't figure out how to get the tach to work in my '82 3rz('99 Tacoma) swap. How did you end up getting it to work?

I have only wired up a single coil (distributor) style (1995-97) setup, Marlin's and mine. I did wire in Bevin's 2003 quad coil setup, but of course his 1984 Hilux single-coil tach is not compatible with a quad coil igniter signal.

I believe the best advise for this is to get the correct tach brain from a same year Tacoma, in your case a 1999, and then install that brain into your older hilux instrument cluster.

The only catch is that the sweep angle of each tach must be the same. For instance, and this is just a hypothetical example, If the Tacoma's tach reads 4,000 RPM at 12 o'clock and your Hilux tach reads 4,000 RPM at 1 o'clock, then the arrow/pointer will be in the right place but the numbers will be off. So when the arrow thinks it is pointing at 4,000 RPM, in your Hilux is might only be pointing at 3,500 RPM, in this particular scenario.

I have not looked that deep into this yet. I've asked Bevin (blane525) to find and buy a 2003 instrument cluster complete but he says he can't find them or they are waaaaay expensive.

I am also worried that the tach brain might be integrated with some circuit board that runs other gauges, which case it would not be a simple swap plug'n'play.

The clutch start cancel switch, are the automatic equipped trucks already prewired for that or is that something I will have to wire up myself?

I am not sure about this. I know that Toyota likes to use 1 harness for many different configurations and then leave plugs dangling in the air when not used. For instance, if you have a non Delux or non SR5 2nd gen pickup then it won't have a clock. However, I have never seen a 2nd gen truck without the plug for the clock. So, if you go to the junk yard and find a clock, all you have to do is plug it in and you are done. No wiring required.

This might be the case with your 4Runner, however, I am leaning to the fact that Autos have a different chassis harness and have additional features (such as overdrive lockout) that a 5spd would never have, regardless of options. So I think if it was not an option on your truck, which is the case for you as you can never purchase an Auto truck with a clutch start cancel switch, I believe you will have to wire it in.

Of course this switch is entirely optional. If you don't want to use it then just bypass the switch.

Is the button pedal bracket for the clutch pedal, is that the button for the clutch call cancel wiring or is that something totally different and it needs to be wired up in order to start?

That switch is only used for the clutch start cancel feature. The 22R-E ECU has no idea when the clutch is engaged or disengaged, ie. there are no other circuits that use that pedal switch besides the clutch start cancel.

I'm using an ORS swap harness and I'm not getting ANY power to the EFI pump unless I run a wire straight from the battery to the hot wire. I know on my 22RE, I had to run the jumper wire mod in order for my 22RE to run.
What is this jumper wire you speak of? Did you buy the truck dead on arrival? Remember that the Opening Circuit Rely is what powers the fuel pump. Make sure the OCR relay is present and also that it is grounded. You could always tap into the ignition ON circuit and have the pump powered whenever the key is in the ON position, but this is unnecessary. What if you only turned the key to the ON position to roll up your windows. Now your poor battery would have to power the windows AND the fuel pump, and the fuel pump would be building unncessary fuel pressure for no reason, wearing itself out.

On the bright side, at least in your case, it is rather easy to R&R a fuel pump in a 1st gen 4Runner.

I can't get the engine to turn over AT ALL.

This sounds more like an electrical power supply issue. Have you grounded out your original park safety switch? Remember your Auto would NOT start unless it was in Park (or maybe Neutral). Since you no longer have the Auto shift mechanism, you can no longer shift into Park, so you must bypass that safety feature before ANY voltage can be sent to your starter.

I highly recommend using a test light and a volt meter and start checking all of the knowns. We know that any black wire with a red stripe and any black wire with an orange stripe will ONLY have +12 volts when the key is in the ON position. We also know that any white wire will have +12 volts all the time regardless of key position. As for the white wire with a red stripe, be careful as some ignition ON circuits use white-red wires as well as "always-on" circuits that have +12v (regardless of key position) use white-red wires.

So simply assuming that any white-red wire will always have +12v regardless of key position will cause your battery to go dead after 2 or 3 days of vehicle storage since it will be powering certain relays and solenoids that should only be powered when the key is in the ON position.

Also we know that any brown wire and any white wire with a black stripe will ALWAYS no matter what be grounds or -12 volts.

So start hunting around the wires and use your test light and volt meter. For instance, when ever you see a white wire with a black stripe, double check that it is grounded. If it is not grounded, trace the problem back and see what is wrong, etc.

Mike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile

I am not sure about this. I know that Toyota likes to use 1 harness for many different configurations and then leave plugs dangling in the air when not used. For instance, if you have a non Delux or non SR5 2nd gen pickup then it won't have a clock. However, I have never seen a 2nd gen truck without the plug for the clock. So, if you go to the junk yard and find a clock, all you have to do is plug it in and you are done. No wiring required.

This might be the case with your 4Runner, however, I am leaning to the fact that Autos have a different chassis harness and have additional features (such as overdrive lockout) that a 5spd would never have, regardless of options. So I think if it was not an option on your truck, which is the case for you as you can never purchase an Auto truck with a clutch start cancel switch, I believe you will have to wire it in.

Of course this switch is entirely optional. If you don't want to use it then just bypass the switch.

10-4

That switch is only used for the clutch start cancel feature. The 22R-E ECU has no idea when the clutch is engaged or disengaged, ie. there are no other circuits that use that pedal switch besides the clutch start cancel.
What is this jumper wire you speak of? Did you buy the truck dead on arrival? Remember that the Opening Circuit Rely is what powers the fuel pump. Make sure the OCR relay is present and also that it is grounded. You could always tap into the ignition ON circuit and have the pump powered whenever the key is in the ON position, but this is unnecessary. What if you only turned the key to the ON position to roll up your windows. Now your poor battery would have to power the windows AND the fuel pump, and the fuel pump would be building unncessary fuel pressure for no reason, wearing itself out.

On the bright side, at least in your case, it is rather easy to R&R a fuel pump in a 1st gen 4Runner.

This is what the jumper that I was referring to

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#FuelPump
When I got my 4Runner, this yellow relay was MIA. They had some SERIOUS rigging done on this truck.
I replaced that and did the jumper wire mod and it would crank up every time no problems. Before they had a switch directly to the starter, basically bypassing the ignition... all due to the relay being bad :screwy:

This sounds more like an electrical power supply issue. Have you grounded out your original park safety switch? Remember your Auto would NOT start unless it was in Park (or maybe Neutral). Since you no longer have the Auto shift mechanism, you can no longer shift into Park, so you must bypass that safety feature before ANY voltage can be sent to your starter.

I highly recommend using a test light and a volt meter and start checking all of the knowns. We know that any black wire with a red stripe and any black wire with an orange stripe will ONLY have +12 volts when the key is in the ON position. We also know that any white wire will have +12 volts all the time regardless of key position. As for the white wire with a red stripe, be careful as some ignition ON circuits use white-red wires as well as "always-on" circuits that have +12v (regardless of key position) use white-red wires.

So simply assuming that any white-red wire will always have +12v regardless of key position will cause your battery to go dead after 2 or 3 days of vehicle storage since it will be powering certain relays and solenoids that should only be powered when the key is in the ON position.

Also we know that any brown wire and any white wire with a black stripe will ALWAYS no matter what be grounds or -12 volts.

So start hunting around the wires and use your test light and volt meter. For instance, when ever you see a white wire with a black stripe, double check that it is grounded. If it is not grounded, trace the problem back and see what is wrong, etc.

Mike

And this is where I get confused b/c I was under the impression that the neutral/drive lock was on the engine harness. Now that the 22RE is gone, I no longer have that harness on the truck. Should I start looking at the plug for the transmission ecm? Thanks Mike, you're a HUGE help.

ChrisA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
All,

I got my first gen SR5 Tach working with my dual coil 3RZ using the 10ohm resistor method....just so ya know, it WORKS!

Don't know how accurate it is yet, but i'm going to connect the computer tonight and i'll let ya know.

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I'm looking into swaping my 22-re out for somthing else. I read the first couple pages of this and didn't see it, but is the 2rz just as compatable as the 3rz is? What I mean is, I'd like to find a complete truck to get everything from, can I look for 2 wheel drives as well? Will everything else be the same?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The flywheel on a 2rz has a slightly smaller diameter surface for the clutch to engage on, hence less holding force for the clutch.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
For anyone thinking about a 5VZ-FE swap...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/1072553761.html

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Has anyone had any trouble getting this swap through the smog ref? I failed the inspection due to my evap hooked up wrong, and that I didn't have the exhaust routed exaclty like the '97 donor vehicle. My exhaust is routed so that the stock down pipe and 1st o2 sensor is used and then it crosses under the trans to the driver side. After that it runs into the cat then the 2nd o2 behind the cat. Similar to all the swaps i have seen. The ref says that I can't make any modifications to the exhaust until after the 2nd o2 sensor. Anyone have any info that can help me out?

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
Has anyone had any trouble getting this swap through the smog ref? I failed the inspection due to my evap hooked up wrong, and that I didn't have the exhaust routed exaclty like the '97 donor vehicle. My exhaust is routed so that the stock down pipe and 1st o2 sensor is used and then it crosses under the trans to the driver side. After that it runs into the cat then the 2nd o2 behind the cat. Similar to all the swaps i have seen. The ref says that I can't make any modifications to the exhaust until after the 2nd o2 sensor. Anyone have any info that can help me out?

Sounds like your ref is being a Richard. Ask him to explain how aftermarket companies make cat4ward and catback exhaust systems... Technically they're modifications to your exhaust before your 1st O2 sensor and after your 2nd O2 sensor.

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Where are you located?  and which Ref location did you go to?

I'm taking the 4Runner in to the ref next week and like you, I'm a bit worried about my exhaust routing too.  I assume the exhaust location/routing is a new law that went into effect this year?  There is a thread on YotaTech with a guy in SoCal having the same problem with the exhaust routing as you do.  He eventually re-did the exhaust so it routes down the passenger side to get it to pass.  The least you can do is contact the head referee and see what he says.--INFO below

Here is a PM from Johnathan (RanchoToyTrucks) on Pirate4x4.com...

Quote from: RanchoToytrucks
This is the bar station I always go to they are better than the one on Northgate.

The Main BAR number is  1-800-622-7733.    There is a North Natomas test site and a Florin Road site.   I passed at the Florin Road Site.  The Address is 2401 Florin Road.  Take 99 to Florin Road WEST  ( Exit 293B) go West about 2miles.

The test center is in the same building as some Adult Technical School.  Park outside the gate and go in the side door and you will enter a class room set up, to the right is a counter that BAR uses.  They will take your keys and info and bring the vehicle into the test area.  Public is not allowed to watch unless they invite you in to show you something.  So you hang out in this class room area until they are finished.

If you have problems. The Head Referee is John Baltazar.  His phone is 491-4461, or email jbaltazar@foundationccc.org.  I spoke to John a few times and he is the one that can over rule the test center guys.  I found him to be fair and knowlegable.   

When you call the 800 number they will have the times open for appointment.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Awe crap.  If that's the case, then I'm screwed too.  I've had mine running for a few months now but haven't gotten it smogged because I still need to install a rear O2 sensor.  I hope my ref is a little more lenient.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Where are you located?  and which Ref location did you go to?

I'm in San Jose. I went to the ref at evergreen college.

Forfunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
BigMike, I've checked all the links and have read them over and over but can't seem to find any wiring diagrams based of your notes for 3rd gen 3RZ conversion's. I'm in the process of searching for the right engine and have found one from an 03 Taco with 16,000 on the clock. Im also considering leaving my 4runner as an automatic by swaping out bellhousing's, any suggestions (HELP) in regards to this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Gus.

ChrisA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
BUDDERS, I talked to the head Ref at the Miramar Station and he seems like a pretty friendly reasonable guy.

I actually asked him about the crossover pipe set-up. I explained to him that there was no other way to effectively route the exhaust being that we have a fuel tank on the passenger side, and that the first O2 sensor is right before the CAT and the 2nd is Directly behind. He said he understood and that it sounded passing. He added, "make sure it looks as professional as possible." I forget this dude's name......but he is the Ref at the Miramar College station. I'm gonna go see him when I get off travel. I'll let ya know how dis goes.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
BUDDERS, I talked to the head Ref at the Miramar Station and he seems like a pretty friendly reasonable guy.

I actually asked him about the crossover pipe set-up. I explained to him that there was no other way to effectively route the exhaust being that we have a fuel tank on the passenger side, and that the first O2 sensor is right before the CAT and the 2nd is Directly behind. He said he understood and that it sounded passing. He added, "make sure it looks as professional as possible." I forget this dude's name......but he is the Ref at the Miramar College station. I'm gonna go see him when I get off travel. I'll let ya know how dis goes.

Cool, that's where I was planning on taking mine.  I may have talked to the same guy.  I talked to a BAR guy that came by my old shop to check our smog machine periodically.  I told him about my 3rz being from a 2004 and about me using a 2001 wirring harness and evap setup and he said it should be good as long as it burns cleaner than my old 22re.

I know the main teacher from the Toyota program down there.  I graduated from that program a few years back, in fact, he even wanted me to apply for a teaching position there.

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
If you guys can get any of these contact names/ numbers for me it'd be great. So far I am being told that there can be no modifications until after the 2nd o2. Even though I'm putting out 1/5 of the emissions as the 22re did 2 yrs ago. This just makes no sense.