Author Topic: Why do thieves like Toyota trucks in SoCal?  (Read 7892 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Why do thieves like Toyota trucks in SoCal?
« on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:13:29 PM »
 :inthedark: I thought this was interesting.  I just read this in the new Peterson's mag.

"According to th CHP and SoCal chapter of the AAA, the top 10 stolen light trucks in the Golden State are

1. '88 Toyota pickup
2. '86 Toyota pickup
3. '87 Toyota pickup
4. '85 Toyota pickup
5. '86 Toyota van
6. '87 Toyota van
7. '84 Toyota pickup
8. '85 Toyota van
9. '84 Toyota van
10. '86 Nissan pickup

Be careful out there. :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Re: Why do thieves like Toyota trucks in SoCal?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:26:51 PM »
1. Easy to steal, the locks are so bad, any early 80s key will start and 80s truck
2. Good turn-around (trucks are easily torn down and sold for big bucks, motors, rear axles, interiors, body panels, everything)
3. Like they're really gonna get caught in California....
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2005, 12:23:29 PM »
oretty much, there are soooo many trucks here..... i see @ least 10-15 yotas a day around here..... they ar eeither stock 1/2 or 1 ton 2wds or stock to modified 4x4s.....

my neighbor across the street owns a red 90s 1 ton 2wd
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2005, 01:18:15 PM »
oretty much, there are soooo many trucks here..... i see @ least 10-15 yotas a day around here..... they ar eeither stock 1/2 or 1 ton 2wds or stock to modified 4x4s.....

Jimbo, I hardly see any Toyota's around St. Louis.  I can count on one hand the number of semi-built trucks in the city (at least south STL)  I actually know most of them. We don't really have any problem with theft here.  There is not the demand for parts and you guys just have a large number of Yotas out there. I could see how the trucks could easily be parted out and thousands of dollars made.  I mean parts go for a lot of $$$.  i often see stupid things sell on ebay like  digital clocks for fifty bucks and window cranks for 20 bucks. I feel sorry for you guys though.  I would be sooo paranoid :paranoid: :bandit:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2005, 01:03:12 AM »

Thats it?  I see that many going to work, and then again on the way home (and not the same one's either)  Toys are a dime a dozen out here, and they sell quick too. :yupyup:  Like Wa4x4 said, easy to steal, locks suck, and there is certainly a market for the parts.  You pretty much either have to make it blend in, so it don't look special, or make it really noticable, so that the theives don't wanna take a chance of getin busted before they get rid of it.  i saw a rig around truckee CA that was pink with a lime green exo.  The guy who owned it said he got :pokinit: all the time for it, but It was so noticable, and so obvious that he wasn't worried about it getting stolen.  In fact, one of the CHP guys up there pulled the truck over, because his brother who was home from Afghanistan was driving it, and the cop didn't recognize the driver.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 04:03:23 PM »
There are bucket loads of them and they are reaching to the lower end of the market. We don't get very many trucks though, now the vans we got stolen Toyota Vans coming out our ears.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:16:29 PM »
1. Easy to steal, the locks are so bad, any early 80s key will start and 80s truck

This is totally untrue!  Yes you can start SOME toyota trucks with similar ignitions with a worn down key, but not any with any key, period.  Sadly, due to a problem I had with mine I found out something I really didn't want to know about stealing toyota trucks, or how easy it is.  All I will say is LOCK YOUR TRUCK FOOL!!!  But, I hafta believe that what I found on mine would apply to nearly any vehicle, so who knows.  I think if you've payed attention to the popular vehicles to drive over time, there seems ot be a similarity in popular vehicles to steal, so I think it's kinda like monkey see monkey doo.....
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

crawlerdan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:22:22 PM »
well, theives like em for the same reasons we do, and for resale value, and as for the locks..let me say this-between 1978-1988, in the united states, there where 15 keys :yikes: .....yep....i got most of em, because i used to collect toyotas for parts(legally :nonono: )
so, upgrading door and ignition locks wil help protect you, because..well, if i got keys to your truck, chances are alot of other people do.
keep you stuff safe and happy wheeling to all yall yota rednecks!! :thumbs:

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:11:11 AM »
My buddy's 1980 truck's locks were so bad that I watched him unlock the door with a flathead screwdriver once. Then he took my key from my 1980 and started his truck. I was a little awe struck on that one. I'm sure his truck had been stolen but still. My 80 would turn over with his key too. His key would not unlock my door though and my rear slider had many marks that made it look like someone had tried to break the slider lock with a screwdriver or similar tool several times.

WAIT A SECOND...you said there were only 15 different cuts of keys? I sold my truck without keys (I lost them) so if this guy tried a few keys he would eventually find one that worked? I am just curious on this theory.

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2005, 08:45:24 AM »

WAIT A SECOND...you said there were only 15 different cuts of keys? I sold my truck without keys (I lost them) so if this guy tried a few keys he would eventually find one that worked? I am just curious on this theory.
yep, scary huh

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:16:32 PM »
Hmm I will have to investigate! (legally)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2006, 10:50:50 PM »
you wanna know something scarier? doesn't really apply to yotas, I don't think, but I know dodge is notorious for these.  The key guides, the plastic things around the ignition that the key slides into?  you get asn older ignition, that turns, andf you don't even need a kjey for it.  My dodge caravan did that, and I know of a couple powerwagons and a few mid eighties diesels that do that. :yikes:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:34:25 AM »
its not only dodges... pretty much anything with a key hole is easily defeated.....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:59:05 AM »
Ever seen the show the repossesors? They almost never have keys for the stuff and they can start it in 1-2 minutes flat without breaking the ignition.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:28:13 PM »
its not only dodges... pretty much anything with a key hole is easily defeated.....

I know this, but a lot of vehicles (toys) don't have anything around the ignition that utrns with it to grab onto.  hats what I'm talking about.  When the ignition gwets worn down, you just need to twist the tab.

It all boils down to locking your doors, and taking sensible precautions

-Ronald Reagan

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:32:51 PM »
I think an NRA sticker and confederate flag mudflaps will keep most car theives away! :usa:

la bomba

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:10:10 AM »
I've always wanted to replace the locks in my 83' Yota, but after seeing this, that project just moved up towards the top of my list.

Anyone have an article on how to replace the stock locks with another make and/or aftermarket?  Any suggestions as to which?

Much appreciated....

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:10:36 AM »
I've always wanted to replace the locks in my 83' Yota, but after seeing this, that project just moved up towards the top of my list.
Anyone have an article on how to replace the stock locks with another make and/or aftermarket?  Any suggestions as to which?
Much appreciated...

Better fix the door lock problems first, the 83 can be opened with a pencil.  It's very easy to gain entry, takes seconds, is silent and effective...

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:39:08 AM »
Better fix the door lock problems first, the 83 can be opened with a pencil.  It's very easy to gain entry, takes seconds, is silent and effective...
i could start my 85 with a penny...so i put a kill switch hidden somewhere, kinda like a deadmans switch :thumbs:

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:44:45 AM »
My 98 gmc truck key opens 3 of my buddies trucks. Havent tried the toyota guys yet. Good to know for safety reasons though, If I lose my keys I can get one of my friends keys to drive home and cut a copy.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:19:20 PM »
I think an NRA sticker and confederate flag mudflaps will keep most car theives away! :usa:

oh yeah, im sure stickers are way more effective than locking your doors.... probably jsut about effective as the club....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:00:37 PM »
I like the deadmans switch Idea.....on the broncoII and rangers in the 80s-early 90s I beleive....I took an 18v cordless drill with a 3/8 bit....trying to drill the ignition cylinder when I lost my keys, the bit spun three times, and it sheared the pins like butter
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:37:51 PM »
Newdoor locks are a start, but the rear sliding window is still a cinch to defeat. Peel off the weather stripping and pop it out.
I would say the best bet is installing an ignition cutoff switch with the toggle hidden somewhere so thieves can't find it easily.
'82 on 35's, not much else.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:45:39 PM »
Newdoor locks are a start, but the rear sliding window is still a cinch to defeat. Peel off the weather stripping and pop it out.
I would say the best bet is installing an ignition cutoff switch with the toggle hidden somewhere so thieves can't find it easily.

you don't even have to do that.  a pry bar bewteen the slider panels will break that latch real quick.  The 3rd gen pick up latches are made outta plastic!! and they sit there in the sun and get all brittle.

hidden switches, a club, and good locks are all a start.  you can always weld chain links to the shifters, and toss a padlock on there to lock'm together.  Kinda hard to reverse outta a spot if the shfiter is locked in 4th :yupyup:  Adding a blinking light to the dash somewhere also works wonders.  even if it isn't attached to an alarm, thieves will see it and move on.  The key is in making your vehicle harder to break into than the one next to it.  Thieves usually go for the easier pickins.  Even if its an NRA sticker, and a confederate flag, if it works, toss it on there.

-Ronald Reagan

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:04:43 PM »
 ;) Blackdog, I disagree with the blinking light theory.  I have a Viper and live in the city.  The blinking light actually attracts theives. The  light indicates that there is something of value in the truck. The theives in my neighborhood are actually smart enough to scope out the vehicles and keep a close enough eye on them to wait until that one time you forget to set it (for me it was a three hour period). The damn light on mine you can see from like 1/4 mile away. its like a friggin beacon.  But now I have to put it on cuz they'll break in again even though  all my crap already got ganked.   :tantrum:
RIP KYOTA

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:55:57 PM »
they are so popular to steal because of the ease in which you can do it and the parts are worth more :twocents:  than your trucks complete. but as far as your key fitting someone elses vehicle there is two reason older vehicles that still have the original  lock the pins inside get wore down and stop functioning correct to the point of anything working in the lock and the others is depending on the year make and model of the vehicle there can be as few as 10 codes like the earlie gm octagon keys only have 12 codes. but thats why just about everyone of them have gone to double sided keys and micro chips so only your key works your lock . this info is straight from an LAPD BAD/CAT's detective . they are the auto theft specialists.
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII