Author Topic: Late Night at Denny's, First 37" Experience, Bald Snow Run PICS & VIDEOS  (Read 12275 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
You know how it goes. :beerchug: Work deep into the night, and then hit Denny's with your Toyota pals for some killer American garbage food!!  :yumyum:  :chew:  :wag:  :teeth:  :greengrin:

From left to Right, Nathan (picoguard), Tim (TURBO), and me.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2005, 04:47:47 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Re: Late Night at Denny's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:07:25 AM »
That is picoguard's '86 ExtraCab 22R-E Engine that has an Ultimate Crawler with 5.29:1 diff gearing @ 223:1, locked Front and Rear, Marlin HySteer, Marlin 4" Suspension.

That is TURBO's "slopoke" '83 with a '86 22R-TE Turbo Engine that has a Dual Ultimate Turbo Crawler (Triple Cases with one 4.70:1 gear set, Turbo = complete 23-spline setup) with stock 4.11:1 diff gearing @ 433:1, locked Front and Rear, Marlin HySteer and Hybrid Spring packs.

And my '81 with a '94 3RZ-FE Engine with a Dual Ultimate Crawler (Triple Cases with one 4.70:1 gear set) with 5.29:1 diff gearing at 510:1, locked Front and Rear, Marlin Hysteer, Marlin 4" Suspension.
Wow, so that is a combined Average Final Drive Ratio of 389:1 !!!!!!!! hhahahaha that is soo sweet!! :best:

Tomorrow night we are going to do a night run, despite being in the dark, I will try to take many pictures for your viewing pleasure :)

And the cool thing (for me) is that picoguard's rig has 37" tires with the 22R-E, and he wanted to see how much more power he can gain by running 35s, so I put my 35s on his rig, and I am "borrowing" Marlin's 37" tires and MANNNNNN MY TRUCK IS EVEN FASTER. I really wanted to run 37s to see what the power would be like with the 3RZ, and I am serious, my truck is much faster now and it cruises on the freeway at about 400 rpm less. So Improved gas mileage and improved performance. Incredible.

So we all three raced.... TURBO is running brand new 34" TSL Swampers with the 22R-TE Turbo Engine, picoguard is running my 50% worn 35" MTRs with the 22R-E, and I am running Marlin's brand new 37" MTRs with the 3RZ-FE.

The results? Well picoguard got dusted by TURBO and I, and I completely out launched TURBO, and was slowly pulling away from him!! TURBO is saying that because of his flat bed and welded rear end, that he can not get the truck to hook up on the launch. My Truck is absolutely on Fire. It has NEVER been this fast. I can not believe it. 2.7 Normally Aspirated 3RZ with 37" tires can beat a 2.4 Turbo 22R-TE with 34" tires. CRAZY!!!

See the thing with the 35s and 5.29:1s, is that I go FIRST GEAR OHH OK QUICK!! SHIFT TO SECOND! OHHHHH OK QUICK!! SHIFT TO THIRD, Ahhhh finally............. accelerating......... ok, now shift to fourth.
But with the larger 37s, the gearing is lengthened, and my engine actually has time to put its power down to the ground instead of being undergeared. So now it's like FIRST GEAR...... ACCELERATING ACCELERATING!!!!! ...... OK, 2ND ACCEL.... ACCELERATING!!!!...... WOW!!!! Ok now 3rd.....! etc.

So a 3RZ + 37" tires + 5.29:1 can beat a Turbo 22R-TE + 34" tires + 4.11:1, and it can murder a 22R-E + 5.29:1 + 35" tires.
The distance that I was ahead of the Turbo 22R-TE, I was double that ahead of the 22R-E.

And you would think that the Turbo would be best suited with the stock 4.11 gearing and 34s. Maybe 33s would be a *bit* better, but if he ever changed, he should just go 4.88s. Remember that forced induction engines have a MUCH better Torque and power band which is flatter and have a wider power band, compared to normally aspirated engines. So you want longer gearing with the broader power band of the 22R-TE so you can keep the Engine in the power band longer, and since it's got such a wide power band, it will just muster through the taller gearing, and the result is a higher acceleration rate which is sustained for a longer time period.

But for me, 35" + 5.29 is not a good combo at all, not for the 3RZ. I guess because of it's displacement, it has a broad power band dispite being normally aspirated, so taller gearing (to an extent much less than the forced induction engine) is a plus for me right now. I am a firm believer in 37" + 5.29. I am super happy with the results

Man, I can't tell enough disbelievers about the awe of the 3RZ. It truly is an amazing power plant. No questions asked.

And CJ thinks he can beat me with his 3rd gen 22R-E + 5.29:1 + 35" Xterrains. HA!! YEAH RIGHT. Just ask picoguard what happened :_order: He thinks I might just be faster than his brother's 2nd gen. Toyota, which is Chevy 4.3 V6 + 35" + 5.29:1. I am ready for the challenge. BRING IT AWN BABY!!!

Cya
BigMike
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2005, 04:22:24 AM by BigMike »

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:18:39 AM »
You are supposed to go to hooters and get pics of girls w/trucks...DUH!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:20:50 AM »
Sweet, sounds like you had too much fun.

I see Denny's is not just popular around here but every where.

And no more street racing! :nonono:

picoguard

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Dec '05
  • 1974 International Scout II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:41:32 AM »
I'm sold on the 3RZ! I got BURNED! Motor swap is a must!!
1974 International Scout II
Marlin Crawler Dual Cases

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:55:38 AM »
You are supposed to go to hooters and get pics of girls w/trucks...DUH!

I totally agree with ya on that one. :yesnod:
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

crazywb

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 467
  • Member since Jun '04
  • 92 Toy short bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:37:28 PM »
 Line it up buddy :ha_ha:  I'm going to start putting kill sign's on the side of my truck for every taco I smoke.
22reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'M BACK!!!!!!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:58:15 PM »
Line it up buddy :ha_ha: I'm going to start putting kill sign's on the side of my truck for every taco I smoke.
22reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hey CJ,

Northwest Off-Road sells a Nitros Oxide Fogger Kit for your 22R-E:

NITROUS     NOS NITROUS "FOGGER" TOYOTA EFI KIT (4 CYL OR V-6)     N-00000  $157.95

If you want to loose to me in style, then I will wait for you to get a NOS System installed on your 22R-E before I smoke it  :burnout:

Since you can't even beat a Turbo 22R-TE, you got nothing on me :gap: :haha:

TURBO

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 65475
  • Male Posts: 706
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Capt. Insaino shows no mercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2005, 01:04:50 PM »
hey hey hey, i don't know about the "and was slowly pulling away from him!! "" part, but i dont have an axle wrap bar so i have to "ease" the cluch out quicky.  plus i need exhaust work..... if i remember corecty, takeing that corner, i was maching your speed AND i was in the OUTSIDE lane geting sideways.....ha take that :haha:
MY BUILDS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76463.0 :woohoo:

More than tread lightly, leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
I AM :screwy:!!!

"These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at"

Marlin is like the Chuck Norris of the rock crawling world. 

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 01:08:53 PM »
 :boxing: :popcorn: ....with butter! :chew:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2005, 01:11:34 PM »
hey hey hey, i don't know about the "and was slowly pulling away from him!! "" part, but i dont have an axle wrap bar so i have to "ease" the cluch out quicky. plus i need exhaust work..... if i remember corecty, takeing that corner, i was maching your speed AND i was in the OUTSIDE lane geting sideways.....ha take that :haha:

Hey Tim, Also, I think it's uneven. I believe that I have found the perfect gearing + tire size for my engine's power band, but I don't know about you. I wonder how 34" + 4.11s compares to 37" + 4.88s.

I think that is your target ratio for your Turbo, 37" + 4.88:1, or 39" + 5.29:1. Put that power band of yours to work for you

Well I am tired of this "i don't know about that" and "no traction" and "I need to learn this clutch" talk.
I want some witnesses next time and I want a 4.3 there also :_order:

Mike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Well, I just went out to the school for a short study group, and now I am back home to finish an equation sheet before 5pm :headshake:

So I got to drive my usual morning drive, HWY180 to HWY168 to Ashlan Ave.

On the freeway, I can definately tell that the gearing is taller. If I slow down to 70 mph in 5th gear, then it seems sluggish. At that speed and with the engine being about 400 rpm less than with my 35s, I am running 70 MPH @ 2800 rpm. The 3RZ's power band starts at about 3k and really begins to pull right at 3,200rpm. So at 70 MPH I am giving it nearly 60% throttle I would say. But if I keep it at 75 or 80, then it feels exactly like the 35s, if not better.

Before, 80 MPH (Used to read 85 on my speedometer with the 35s, +5 mph correction) would be like 3600 rpm in 5th. Which was great for the power, but it was really revving it out and I didn't like it. But now 80 (gauge now reads 80 MPH for actually 80 MPH, I am pretty certain it is within ±1 mph correction) reads about 3200 or 3300 which is right at the sweet spot for the power band and it just cruises..........................................

On the streets, I do notice that if I want to get going, I have to input more throttle. But it also reacts much better with that throttle and before I know it, I am doing 60 in a 45 zone :nonono:  :nonono:

For gas mileage, I believe that I am both more rewarded and more punished for how I drive the truck now.
If I drive it like a grandma, since it's not turning as many rpms, I bet it would get much better MPG.
And if I drive it like a bat out of hell, then there is a larger load on the engine now, so I bet it would get much worse MPG.

Man it soooo much quieter on the freeway too. 3200 rpm vs 3600 rpm is a very nice change in interior cab noise.

Quick Question, does any one know the weight comparison between a MTR 37x12.50x15 vs. TSL 34x10.50x15 ?

TURBO, Imagine if I had your 34x10.50s on my truck and you had the 37x12.50s on your truck. aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I See hahahahaha

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
12/09/05 Friday Night Run at Bald Mtn

I finally got my Internet working at the new house today, so without any further adu, on with the pics!! :_order:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
We were supposed to leave at about 6pm, but it took us until 8:30 to finally get out of town :ack:

picoguard and I were there waiting for TURBO for nearly an hour it seemed. Before we left, a guy drove up in a white full size truck, and he said that he had seen my rig posted on Pirates. That's pretty cool :thumbs: He asked if we were going up to Bald, and we asked him if he knew anything about the conditions, to which he replied "very cold"

According to reports from Auburey, it will be an expected 20 degrees F up there.  :sheerterror:  :shudder:

So we get driving, and according to my air filter thermometer, the lowest temp I saw was 27 degrees, but it was only for a couple of minuets. I would say it averaged in the lower 30s.

We must have got to the green gate sometime around 9:50p and we just kept cruising. In fact, we had made it in a good mile or so before we finally got stuck, in 2WD, with street pressure. So we stopped and locked up the hubs and aired down...

Hey picoguard! Get some rock lights so we can see you in the pictures!!! :yupyup:
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2005, 03:53:48 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
As for the snow, man, it was really strange. This is the earliest (in the season) I have ever gone snow wheeling, and the snow was crunchy. It seemed to be in between snow and ice. Crystallizing I guess?

Check out this video I made just for you :greengrin:

Of course getting all the way in there in 2WD aired up was simple, so as long as the snow was not trespassed on, and still "crunchy" then you could make some killer time. But once you track over and over it, then you get below it, and on most granite slabs, it's solid ice. Difficult to walk even..

So we were following the fearless TURBO, when he decided to make a Right turn at the first fork, which lead to a much more steep and slick rock face, that TURBO was the only one to get up it at first. I don't even know how he did it. He said he made it 3/4 of the way up, then hit the ice, but somehow was able to crab walk the truck sideways and got around the ice.

Well, picoguard and I didn't have such an easy time. Especially since picoguard was running my 35" MTRs, it was really bumpy and rough, and therefore difficult to get my momentum built up. And for me, I decided to air down to 2psi in the rear and 3 psi in the front. MAN I LOVE BEAD LOCKS. I AM SOLD, I will do a DYI beadlock setup next summer FOR SURE!! :_order: :_order: :_order: Man they are sooooooo nice! Thanks for letting me borrow your tires Marlin!!!! :bowdown:

Having 37" tires compared to 35" IS SIMPLY NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. Especially aired down, I still have the ground clearance, and it was like riding on ballons. They are were so soft that when I stepped on top of my drivers rear tire to pull something from the bed, the tire nearly ate my shoe. I really really like 37" tires and I can't wait to get some. HUMONGOUS GINORMOUS DIFFERENCE. I can't even describe how much better having larger tires are. And these are JUST 37s. Man, people with 39s or 41s or what ever, if you guys are getting stuck or something, then wow, that's gotta be some tuff crap your wheeling in :driving: Rocky and Andy both have 39s and its no wonder they don't complain about air pressure, and rough ride, and no traction. Sheesh. If a truck w/35" is wheeling against a truck with 37+, then it's not even a contest. Completely unfair.

So, with my tires aired down, I put the 3RZ power to work. First gear, single case, 2.28:1, and just mashed it. I made it right up the hill on the first pass. I wish I had that on video! It was pretty sick!

picoguard eventually gave up, and decided to park it in fear of breaking something, and he rode with me and we motored on.......

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Then we got lost, and found different trails, drove for a while, and then found that we were backtracking on our own tracks. So we just decided to head back to the first T and make a right, and go the normal way. And along these lines, it was now midnight, and picoguard decided that with work in the morning @ 6am, he better get going home, so he left..... :down:

So TURBO and I continued, and needless to say with the ease of cruising through this crunchy snow, and how cold it was outside, we just JAMMED all the way to the tower. It was REALLY fun. No body was out there, and we encountered ZERO problems.

So Sadly, I didnt take any pictures at all between the T and the Tower.  :driving:

We made it to the Tower at 1pm. I have never made it so quick to the Tower. Man we were jamming. At times, 20 even 30 MPH, it was SWEET :booya:

Here are some pics from the Tower. Just over 8000' I believe

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
 :cool:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
You could tell that it has been pretty windy up there. The top of the snow looked like sand dunes.

And that was it. We got back to the pavement around 2am and home around 4a, because it took exactly ONE HOUR for my little 12v air pump to pump 10 psi into my four 37" tires :thud: :wall: :aaa: I could not believe it. I was taking short naps between each tire inflation. Then down in the valley, I found a gas station and aired up to 20 before getting back to the shop.

Man it'll sure be nice once I get my on board air system done. Too bad I was to busy this summer, I almost started that project.... :headshake:

And finally, here is a really cool video I took while trying to experiment with the camera. I like it so much, dispite it being uneventful and all, that I will make many more of these the next time I am out :thumbs:
Later,
BigMike

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
Hay Mike, thanks for the invite for the trip!!!

Actually, we were just up there a couple of weeks ago, and cant wait till theres some real snow.

Then it will be fun.

Nice pics by the way.

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
All we ever seem to get around here :rain:  :down:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Mike, your truck looks great with those 37's!!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I know, I love 'em, but I don't like the Chrome look of the alum.

Man, so picky. If I get a pie, then I want to eat the whole thing, right? is that such a crime? ahhahaha

I am thinking about getting some more 8" black rockcrawlers with a better offset (like 2.50" BS) and doing a DYI beadlock setup. Should be out less than $250 for a set of locks

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Doorless in 25 degree weather...reeeeeal smart! :slap: Bet that was a coold ride.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
All we ever seem to get around here :rain:  :down:

I hear ya on that one fatboy,yesterday it was 36 and raining,when I left work this morning it was 27,ain't nothing like driving on ice weeeeeeeee
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
I hear ya on that one fatboy,yesterday it was 36 and raining,when I left work this morning it was 27,ain't nothing like driving on ice weeeeeeeee
I like it  :driving:  :burnout:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Looks like fun Mike.  We still need to work out the bugs on the run I posed up, that should be loads of fun!

Those 37s look a lot bigger on your truck than on mine.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
turbo is crazy with no doors.  It's like 45 degrees here right now and i'm freezing

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
turbo is crazy with no doors. It's like 45 degrees here right now and i'm freezing

your just weak.  :)

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
All ya gotta do is crank up the heater and wear warm clothes :gap:

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award