Author Topic: auto to 5psd swap with a turbo engine  (Read 2144 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
auto to 5psd swap with a turbo engine
« on: Aug 04, 2005, 02:57:16 PM »
Ok first off i did do a search about this topic and found a fair amount of information but not exactly what im looking for.  I have an 86 4runner 22-rte with auto tranny.  I want to swap in a 5spd tranny, but ive been getting mixed opinions on what tranny will work with this motor.  The r-150/151 would be the ideal tranny but are hard to come by so im wondering if a w-56 tranny and t-case out of a similar year truck or 4runner would bolt right up to it?  So what i need to know is which trannys are strong enough and would bolt up to the turbo motor.  I also need to know i can use the auto wiring harness and just jump certain wires to make everything work or do i have to get the harnus off of a truck with the turbo and 5spd?  What other modifications would be neccesary for this swap other than cutting a hole in the fire wall for the clutch linkage?  Thanks in advance.  :biggthumpup: 
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: auto to 5psd swap with a turbo engine
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2005, 05:11:25 PM »
I didnt realize that r150s were so hard to find.  I know the 151s are.  PM grumpy1@netptc.net, I think he has one or more r150s sitting around.

If I remember right from my reading, and what I know, the 150 will bolt up to the turbo motor, but to use a r150, you will either have to purchase a t-case adapter, or use a chain drive t-case, which is weaker, and cannot be used in duals, or geared down like the stronger ones from the 4 cylinder trannies.  hope this helps :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2005, 05:27:31 PM »
To install a R151F or a R150F (the early style with passenger drop Tcase) you'll need the bellhousing off a 22R-TE.

Decide if you want a chain driven or gear driven Tcase and get a R151F or R150F gearbox/Tcase assy accordingly. Source the R150F from a 3.0L V6 equipped truck/4Runner. Sell the R150F bellhousing to somebody looking to do a 3.4L v6 swap.

You'll still need the 22R-TE bellhousing. Expect to pay $175 plus for a bare one. You'll need the clutch fork, rubber boot, throw out bearing assy clip, rubber plug that goes in the bottom of the bellhousing, and the slave cylinder.

I know where a complete assy is up here. It's missing the shifter, and slave cylinder last time I looked. Shipping, well the only economical way is find someone to bring it down or separate the parts and pack the pieces in plastic totes and ship them UPS ground rate.
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2005, 08:53:11 PM »
You might end up needing a 5speed harness and ECU to make everything happy.  On those early EFI/Automatic combos, some of the trannies were totally mechanically controlled, some of them were computer controlled.  I'd say do the swap and then see how it runs before you go changing harnesses and ECU's.  You will have to tinker a bit for your reverse lights and 4wd indicator lights to work properly tho...

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo