Author Topic: Bevin's 3RZ Conversion  (Read 92306 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Bevin's 3RZ Conversion
« on: Aug 02, 2005, 09:24:06 PM »
This Project is featured in our Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread

Hello peeps,

As some of you know I've been working with my friend Bevin on his '85 shortbed, converting it to a 2003 Tacoma 2.7l 3RZ engine with just 14k miles on it - and I've been slacking and have not gotten any pictures up, so here they are!

I would say that the conversion itself is about 70% done, but I still need to integrate the modified Taco wiring harness into the Hilux interior.

The next chance I will get to work on it will be on the 15th or the 16th of this month, so between now and then, Bevin will get the gas tank modified, install the fuel lines, install the Turbo 3-core radiator, and finish up the rest of the exhaust system.

So without any further ado, let's get to the pics :disturbed:
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2013, 07:27:50 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Re: Bevin's 3RZ Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2005, 09:32:51 PM »
Man, that engine was just born, eh? Everything on it is perfect. It came out of a fully loaded Automatic '03 Tacoma. I do not expect to have any problems with the Automatic wiring. At that time, we had not started on the wiring, but since then I have already isolated the needed circuits and reloomed everything, and I have marked the park switch and bypassed the starter relay so we should be set. I will use the OBD-II scanner to find out any possible codes, and I can very eaisly alter the configuration of the wiring so that the ecu believes it is in drive 100% of the time after it has been fired up. Then it would be just fine..

Here are some shots of Bevin and the first "test fit" including the Tacoma oil pan, which has since been swaped out for a T100 setup.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2005, 09:43:08 PM »
Bevin had pulled the ol' 22R carburated engine, after it blew it's last head gasket, and had the engine bay all cleaned up before I even got to his house the first time back in June. He got the entire setup for nearly $2,000, which included the computer, complete engine bay fuse box wiring harness, crowl interior wiring harness, complete exhaust/tranny/o2/fuel wiring harness, and he got the '03 Taco gas tank and purge tank, which has the EFI fuel pump and sender, and the CA smog required pressure sensors and floats that we will be transfering over to a modified '85 carburated gas tank.

Here are some pics of the Engine Mounts we decided to go with. Bevin worked his mad fabricating skills and created a bolt-in Hybrid 3RZ/22R Chassis engine mount bracket by using the 3RZ Engine Bracket while maintaining the stock Hilux 22R Chassis Engine Mount Location.

We went this route because it was a cut-free / weld-free setup that has turned out quite nicely :thumbs: Good work Bevin!
In fact, the Tacoma mounted 3RZ uses the same rubber engine mounts as his '85 22R, so he now has an extra set of mounts to boot!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2005, 09:48:57 PM »
Later the engine was pulled after test fitting the modified engine mounts, and they got some finish welds, paint, a starter was aquired and installed, installed a Flywheel and a new MC :turtle: Super Heavy Duty Tacoma Clutch Kit, and got the clutch lines finished.

Then the engine went back in for the last time, mounted in front of the stock carburated G54 transmission, which we will see how long it lasts us :sheerterror:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2005, 09:58:09 PM »
While Bevin was doing some 3RZ sugery, I got to start on the wiring. :thumbs:

Here are some pics from the progress last month. I now have the loom all cleaned up and down to the neccessary circuits, but I do not have a picture of it at this time.

This is about where we are now, and I will take some more pics the next time I am up there, which should be in 2 more weeks. I wanted this project finished the last week of July, but obviously I was way off and didnt make it. Now it looks like we will not have it running until the end of this month :suprised: Which is kind'of cutting it close, as Bevin still needs to do his suspension and HySteer so he can get that mad beast up to the Round-Up in Sept.

So we've got a little over 1 month left to get all of this done for MCR- More to come later!! :beerchug:

BigMike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2005, 10:07:39 PM »
Oh, and check this out, this is my truck loaded down with a 1997 3RZ (Twin coil DIS) and Bevin's old 22R engine (closest to tailgate).

And that '97 3RZ has gone to Rocky, for his '84 Carb truck that I will be helping him convert to a 3RZ sometime during this upcoming winter :thumbs:

Man, with Dean ('04 --> '85), Bevin ('03 --> '85), Marlin ( '96 --> '80), Rocky ('97 --> '84), and Myself ('95 -->'81), we will soon be one big happy 3RZ Family!!

And I will have had my hand with helping five 3RZ Conversions, including mine, covering all of the production changes from the early Distrubitor 3RZs, to the Twin Coil DIS systems, and the quad coil DIS systems. Sweet!

Hey Angelo ACF, YOU ARE NEXT!! :_order: :_order:
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2005, 09:57:04 AM by 4THEWKN »

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2005, 06:37:21 AM »
hey BigMike you should start making wiring harness for a conversion kit, that way you won't need to be there on every 3rz swap.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2005, 06:46:00 AM »
:eyecrazy:   Mikey   :smack:  you da man

:cheer:  Mikey :cheer:  Mikey :cheer:  he's our 3RZ man :cheer:  if he cant do it :cheer: nobody can :cheer:

oh man  now marlin is going to have to offer a 3rz conversion kit and expand the shop
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2005, 07:23:27 AM »
hey BigMike you should start making wiring harness for a conversion kit, that way you won't need to be there on every 3rz swap.

Well, I was going to document each wire, but nearly 80% of the Tacoma wires were removed because those circuits were not related to the engine swap, so instead of doing that, I should just document what wires should remain on the harness. I will most likely do this the next time I get back up to his house (he lives about 30mins away from me) so that we people can have access to this information on the net for free. I think this info will apply for most '00-'04 Automatic Swaps (3rd gen 3RZs). Then when I do Marlin's '96 swap, that will apply to most '95-'96 5speed swaps (1st gen 3RZs). I could do the same for Rocky's '97 swap too (2nd gen 3RZs).......

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2005, 10:06:55 AM »
Well, I was going to document each wire, but nearly 80% of the Tacoma wires were removed because those circuits were not related to the engine swap, so instead of doing that, I should just document what wires should remain on the harness. I will most likely do this the next time I get back up to his house (he lives about 30mins away from me) so that we people can have access to this information on the net for free. I think this info will apply for most '00-'04 Automatic Swaps (3rd gen 3RZs). Then when I do Marlin's '96 swap, that will apply to most '95-'96 5speed swaps (1st gen 3RZs). I could do the same for Rocky's '97 swap too (2nd gen 3RZs).......

That would be great!  It would help us 3RZ newbs out!
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2005, 10:26:42 PM »
Al right guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be out of town starting tomorrow and will return on the 14th. I plan to resume work with Bevin on the 15th, and I want to try to get it started by that weekend on the 20th.

:beer:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
I don't know if I've just been out of the loup but does the stock 5 speed w56 (thats the one I have I think 87 4 runner) bolt up to the 3rz so that you can use your existing setup without worrying about the tranny and what not.  Oh and the idea about making the wireing harness...I'd totaly consider buying it if I went that way.  Nothing is more frustrating to me and many other guys for that matter than doing the wireing headache.  Also one last thing where are you guys finding these engines.  I didn't know you could find them so easily and how much are they running you with all the wiring and such?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2005, 11:23:51 PM »
does the stock 5 speed w56 (thats the one I have I think 87 4 runner) bolt up to the 3rz so that you can use your existing setup without worrying about the tranny and what not.
Absolutely. Since the 3RZ's native transmission (W59) is in the same family/speed as the W56, the bellhousings are interchangeable. So what we are doing is using a T100/Tacoma W59 bellhousing, that has a drivers-side clutch and starter, and bolting that directly onto either a W56 or a G52/54 (uses the same front bolt pattern).

I'd totaly consider buying it if I went that way. Nothing is more frustrating to me and many other guys for that matter than doing the wireing headache.
I really really really do not think I would ever build "available" harnesses, mainly because it would be way to much work trying to order new plugs or locating good used harness, and also, in general, there are four different 3RZ versions:
1st gen: Distributor Ignition
2nd gen: Twin coil DIS
3rd gen: Quad coil DIS
4th gen: Quad coil DIS + VVT cam technology (2005 and newer / 163 HP - 183 TQ version)

So I would have to make at least 3 sets of complete harnesses (assuming that no one can really get the '05 versions yet) and I could never stock those nor find the parts to make them factory bolt on compatible.

So instead, I would like to offer a complete pin sheet showing the required plugs and the required pins that are needed to get this engine running. That way the average hobbyist who knows how to use a soder gun could get the wiring done in a weekend. (I sincerely hope no one would ever do an engine swap using crimp-on terminals  :crazy:  :puke:  :reg:  :trout: :thud: :jawdrop: :bricks: If this is you then dont even do a swap :ha_ha: )

Also one last thing where are you guys finding these engines.
Oh man, it boggels my mind how no one can find them. They are litterally crawling all over http://www.car-parts.com Check it out :thumbs:

Ok, I just checked out for '96 Tacomas, and there are over 207 3RZs on there, and that's just from that generation of 3RZs, not to mention the ones in the T100s either!! My advice would be to just start calling up yards. Gather as much info on the truck that brought that engine in as you can. Ask how complete it is, if the harnesses have been cut, what wires are available, complete and what not.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:31:32 AM »
I guess I didn't even think to look at car-parts.com  I found on in my town.  If its as easy as you seem to make it out to be on the swap (taking into consideration the wireing) I might just look into that.  Hope they still have the engine when I have the money for it.  Does $1200 seem like a fair price for a complete 3RZ?

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 302
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since May '04
  • Toyota owns 51% of Daihatsu Motor Co, Ltd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2005, 04:29:16 PM »
I guess I didn't even think to look at car-parts.com I found on in my town. If its as easy as you seem to make it out to be on the swap (taking into consideration the wireing) I might just look into that. Hope they still have the engine when I have the money for it. Does $1200 seem like a fair price for a complete 3RZ?

I paid $1200.00 for mine with the W59 bell housing, clutch assembly, body harness, engine harness, ECU...of course starter, alternator, hoses & belts, complete air intake, power steering lines, clutch slave, engine mounts...I think that's it.

Here's one on Ebay for $850.00:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/toyota-3RZ-engine-83k-miles-in-Nashville-TN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ7990555843QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

Blane525

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 06, 2005, 03:50:54 PM »
price and availability :help:  are all a part of knowing some one   and if some one finds one cheaper  good for them.  its always a good thing to save$$$  :bowdown:   I just wanted to put a real low milage :flamer: :dunno:  all at once or not at all :idea: the 22r could have cost me 1200$ to 1500 so this doesn't seem so bad hope to have it up and running soon. P.S. Hard to be a nwb
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2005, 12:12:58 AM by BigMike »

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2005, 12:35:40 AM »
Hey BigMike,

U guys gonna offer some motor mounts based on Bevin's design?

Did you ever find anyone making a bellhousing to fit the 3RZ to a R150F or R151F tranny?

Anybody doing/done this on a 86 or later IFS truck without a SAS?
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2005, 12:41:58 AM by jr9162 »
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2005, 12:11:31 AM »
U guys gonna offer some motor mounts based on Bevin's design?
I don't think so. One person at the shop thought this was a stupid idea. Man he sure was wrong. They turned out nice and will work perfectly. So I don't see the company ever selling these, so we don't have any reason to make a jig or anything....

Did you ever find anyone making a bellhousing to fit the 3RZ to a R150F or R151F tranny?
http://www.aor4x4.com

Anybody doing/done this on a 86 or later IFS truck without a SAS?
ifssucks

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2005, 12:19:09 AM »
I've got a couple more pics here, lets see........

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2005, 12:21:49 AM »
Check that gas tank out man!! :bling:

Bevin had a local radiator shop put the '04 Tacoma Pump, sender, and emissions lines into his factory '85 Carburated gas tank! Is that cool or what?!

And I started working on the engine bar harness. I will be hooking it up to the interior wires soon, and begin powering up circuits.

Also, Bevin started installing fuel lines that he is crossing over the engine in the engine bay, which I must say, looks great! I will get some pics of it tomorrow night for your delight.

More to come later,
BigMike

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2005, 07:27:40 AM »
Looks awesome BigMike keep up the good work. :thumbs:

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2005, 08:42:51 AM »
The wiring in that carbed 85 would be almost Identical to what Is in my carbed 86 right.  If so maybe I should come down there and check it out this 22r does not do it for me.  You need any help say next wednesday.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2005, 08:54:44 AM »
Well I am hopeing to have it running this Sunday, also this truck is not in Fresno, it is at Bevin's house which is up in the hills..

I would imagine the wiring would be 95% the same, if not completely the same.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 18, 2005, 12:37:33 PM »
are you guys keeping track of which wires you removed from each harness and what connected to what because if so That would make a 3rz swap painless for me.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2005, 07:50:14 AM »
Well, I did not record anytime with this one, but I have full records and notes on Marlin's wiring (1993-1996) style, and I will do the same when I do Rocky's 2nd gen engine (97-99?). But for the newer four coil engines, 2000+, I did not take any notes + there are more wires to remove :ack:

BigMike

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 20, 2005, 10:07:45 AM »
I don't think so. One person at the shop thought this was a stupid idea. Man he sure was wrong. They turned out nice and will work perfectly. So I don't see the company ever selling these, so we don't have any reason to make a jig or anything....
http://www.aor4x4.com
ifssucks

Thanks Mike.

I looked at AOR's website, nothing there about a bellhousing so I sent them an e-mail. I saw on another part of the forum where you mentioned they fabbed (welded?) one up...

If those mounts turned out so nice and work perfectly for a 3RZ-22R swap, why not turn some out for guys wanting to do a bolt in conversion? Not every enthusiast out there has welding skills...

I e-mailed ifssucks about his swap. Specifically what oil pan he's using to clear the diff, motor mounts, and is it necessary to lift the truck for clearance?

I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Aug 28, 2005, 09:18:55 AM »
Dude, freakin BigMike, your the man. I wish i had the engine skillz you got. Someday I am going to buy you a  :beer: man.

Keep up the good work.
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 28, 2005, 01:12:53 PM »
Ya know whats scary? I work on a airplane as an electrician but I think I would completely screw up the electrics on an engine swap. Doesnt that stuff intimidate you Mike? I'm sure I could figre it out but it would take me forever. Your the  :king:
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 30, 2005, 12:49:40 AM »
Well, Last weekend I spent all day on Sunday and got the wiring about 95% finished, including a dry start!!

Yup, we added some oil and gave it a crank! Sure sounded SWEET! and I have a video, but it's on my memory card in my camera in my truck right now :doh: but don't worry, tomorrow night (Tues) I will be back at Bevin's house and I will take more pics and movies, and I hope to start it up with the ECU and get it running!!! SWEETNESS!

STAY TUNED!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 30, 2005, 12:58:07 AM »
Here's a pic of Bevin's tank after he masked it and painted it. Man that is one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. Totally awesome Hybrid Tacoma/Hilux gas tank!

As for the wiring, everything is done except for the fuel pump and the idiot gauges. Also, I will finish building the 1" Chassis lowering kit tomorrow (only need to make 3 more spacers) and we will install the remaining pieces and get the bed lifted so it can clear the taller Tacoma fuel pump.

Also, Bevin bought an Instrument Cluster from a SR5 2nd gen truck with a Tach, I believe it's from an '88 22R-E, but a couple of the wires are different? When I hook it up, the tach moves to 4k and stays there with the key in the "On" position. So clearly there are some minor discrepancies with a carburated non-tach dash and an efi tach dash that I will also have to get figured out.

More to come