Author Topic: Engine timing / Fuel Mixture Question  (Read 9376 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Engine timing / Fuel Mixture Question
« on: Jul 07, 2005, 11:43:01 AM »
My problem is that ever since I installed my Weber Carb (4wheelparts.com - K874?) my truck only runs well on quality premium fuel.  It starts to ping and just run rough on even mid grade fuel.

I thought that my engine timing might be advanced and I might be able to retard the timing and run regular grade fuel.  The timing was, and is, retarded (8 degrees advanced rather than 12) so when I set it to stock specs the pinging got worse.

My next idea is to richen the mixture of the weber (not sure what jets to get) so that I can advance the timing and not run too lean.  If I understand things correctly, it seems like I should be able to get the weber rich enough to back off to midgrade fuel and advance the timing closer to stock specs.

Does this make sense to anyone or do I have my head in a dark place?  Any suggestions on what jets to get, I don't know what comes in them stock?

I make no claim to be a mechanic, but I am trying to learn.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing / Fuel Mixture Question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2005, 12:00:51 PM »
Get fuel injection!... just kidding had to say it

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2005, 05:10:52 PM »
Where does it say that the timing should be 12 degrees advanced?  If I remember correctly on my 84 I ran the stock 5 degrees of advance, then with the idle advance hooked up to the distributor it went to 12.  The actual distributor timing should be 5 degrees though.  I ran a weber on that truck and ran midgrade.

It looks like I don't have the paper with the custom weber jet sizes on it either.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2005, 05:41:25 PM »
Where does it say that the timing should be 12 degrees advanced? If I remember correctly on my 84 I ran the stock 5 degrees of advance, then with the idle advance hooked up to the distributor it went to 12. The actual distributor timing should be 5 degrees though. I ran a weber on that truck and ran midgrade.

It looks like I don't have the paper with the custom weber jet sizes on it either.

Sounds like there is more to know, I thought my service manual said 12, will have to look.  I don't have any information on Weber Jets, can you post it?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3672
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2005, 05:42:07 PM »
Is it the 32/36 Weber? My runs great with it on regular (lowest grade) fuel. Is it adjusted properly? If not try this site: redlineweber.com   It's what I used and I've had no problems for the last 4 years.
Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2005, 07:07:08 AM »
Is it the 32/36 Weber? My runs great with it on regular (lowest grade) fuel. Is it adjusted properly? If not try this site: redlineweber.com   It's what I used and I've had no problems for the last 4 years.

It is a 32/36 carb, I think it is a K874 kit but not positive.  The only real adjustment on it is the idle mixture screw and it runs fine at idle.  I really think that it is just running lean, but I don't know what jets are in it to know what jets to get.  I have used that site before, but will look again.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3672
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2005, 11:18:15 AM »
I got my used so I don't know what jets are in it. I thought there were 2 adjustment screws? It's been a while though. Good luck
Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2005, 11:47:03 AM »
I got my used so I don't know what jets are in it. I thought there were 2 adjustment screws? It's been a while though. Good luck

I am pretty sure that there is really only idle adjustment screws, I have been working with tech support off and on for a while, but I have been wrong before.

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2005, 03:40:46 PM »
79-82 - 8* BTDC @ 950 RPM vac adv off
83 - 5* BTDC @ 950 RPM vac adv off
85 22R - 0*BTDC @ 950 RPM vac adv off
85 22R-E 5* BTDC w/terminal T grounded
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »
79-82 - 8* BTDC @ 950 RPM vac adv off
83 - 5* BTDC @ 950 RPM vac adv off
85 22R - 0*BTDC @ 950 RPM vac adv off
85 22R-E 5* BTDC w/terminal T grounded

Thanks, what does BTDC stand for...I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed?

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2005, 05:35:13 PM »
btdc=before top dead center

I ran a used weber as well, and the guy I bought it from helped me rebuild it and jet it.  I couldn't tell you what the jetting is though.  They do sell a weber carb that is pre jetted for toyota 22r's, so go searching for that info.  To find out the jet size I believe you'd have to get into the carb and look on the actual jets.

There should be both an idle speed and an idle mixture adjustment.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2005, 05:40:50 PM »

I ran a used weber as well, and the guy I bought it from helped me rebuild it and jet it. I couldn't tell you what the jetting is though. They do sell a weber carb that is pre jetted for toyota 22r's, so go searching for that info. To find out the jet size I believe you'd have to get into the carb and look on the actual jets.

You are correct about the two adjustments, I have played with both of them.  Now I am working to get the rest of it up to speed.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »
I just found some info I had packed away in the corner.

On my carb, this is what I ran:
Float Adjustment - 19/16" or 41 mm
                           2" or 51 mm

Main Jet - 130
Secondary Jet - 155
Emulsioning Tube - F50

Primary Air Corrector - 175
Secondary Air Corrector - 190

I also have a scan of an exploded view, parts list, troubleshooting chart.  I'll post a resize of the exploded view.  Let me know if you need  any of this, I will scan it fullsize then email it

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2005, 08:50:13 PM »

I ran a used weber as well, and the guy I bought it from helped me rebuild it and jet it. I couldn't tell you what the jetting is though. They do sell a weber carb that is pre jetted for toyota 22r's, so go searching for that info. To find out the jet size I believe you'd have to get into the carb and look on the actual jets.

it would be a K8749 if I remember right...but Weber has been on strike for like 16 months now...the supply of 033B carbs has been depleted..i couldn't find one anywhere between Cali and NYC...

llamas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2008, 07:25:23 AM »
if it helps i live at 4800' ele. and use .115 main jet runs great i got jets from CARBS UNLIMITED 1800-994-CARB  good luck!
don whitman

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
if it helps i live at 4800' ele. and use .115 main jet runs great i got jets from CARBS UNLIMITED 1800-994-CARB  good luck!

Impressive reply...over 3 years after the previous post!  That truck has been parted out.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2008, 02:01:15 PM »
Impressive reply...over 3 years after the previous post!  That truck has been parted out.

:rofl:

bd is getting sassy of late!!  :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »
:rofl:

bd is getting sassy of late!!  :gap:

Not really trying to be sassy, but this newbie shouldn't ever be accused of not using the SEARCH feature!

boobap

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
...and now 5.5ish years...  :therethere:
An eye for an eye makes the world blind.