Author Topic: Replacing CV boot  (Read 1916 times)

Rebeltilldeath3

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
Replacing CV boot
« on: Jun 22, 2005, 05:52:29 PM »
Yeah, I'm still in the dark ages with IFS....

Anyway, my outter boot tore open.  I picked up a replacement from Advanced for $15. 

Problem is, I've never dealt with CVs before and would like a step by step process so I don't royally flopp up.  I doubt I'd even have to pull the whole CV axle out since all I'm replacing is the boot.

Any insight, websites, or step by step would be awesome.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing CV boot
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2005, 06:01:28 PM »
Yeah, you gotta pull the entire shaft out to replace just the outer boot.  Its a pregnant dog.  Undo the 4 14 mm bolts that hold the ball joint to the knuckle.  Remove the locking hub dial and the circlip that holds the end of  the shaft into the hub.  Remove the lower shock bolt.  Remove the 4 12mm bolts that hold the swaybar bracket to the frame.  Remove the 6 17mm nuts that hold the axle to the diff.  Get in there with a prybar and separate the axle flange from the diff flange.  Have a buddy tug on the knuckle to pull it away from the vehicle while you slide the axle off the diff studs and down thru the lower control arm towards the center of the vehicle.  pull the outer part of the shaft out of the knuckle while pulling the shaft down and out thru the lower control arm. 

Now, you gotta replace the inner boot too...  remove the clamps on the inner boot and slide the flange off the joint.  Wipe the grease away and remove the circlip holding the joint on the shaft.  Remove the joint- but don't let it come apart!  slide the inner boot off.  Remove the clamps on the outer boot, slide the outer boot all the way down the shaft and off the inside end.  Wipe all the old nasty grease away from the outer joint.  You may even want to run it thru a parts washer if the boot's been open a while.  Slide your new outer boot on but dont slip it around the outer joint yet.  Install the small clamp on the outer boot with the boot positioned correctly on the axle.  Now squirt that new grease that came with your boot in the joint and inside the boot, then slip the boot over the outer joint.  Work it around a while and then burp the air out, then install the large clamp. 

Now for the new inner boot...  slide the inner boot on and install the small end clamp with the boot positioned correctly.   clean out the old grease from the joint and the flange and re-install the joint (dont forget the circlip!).  fill the boot with about 3/4 of a packet of grease and put the rest in the flanged end.  Now install the flanged end onto the shaft and burp the air out, then install the clamp.

Installation is reverse of removal

FWIW, I've got 3 good IFS shafts here at the house that I'll let go cheap!

:beerchug:

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Rebeltilldeath3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2005, 10:07:34 PM »
How come I have to replace both?

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2005, 11:35:15 PM »
You don't necessarily have to pull the ball joint, I can do it without taking it apart.  Search around on yotatech and 4x4wire for my method.  Be sure to remove 2-3 of the studs and replace them with bolts for a fast and easy trail fix.

I'm not sure what year your truck is, but it's at least 10 years old and the other CV boot is due to rip so you might as well fix them both while you have it out. 
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »
Well, you gotta take off the inner boot to get to the outer boot.  As robinhood4x4 said, no point in re-installing a 10+ yr old boot, so might as well replace it while its off...

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:44:27 AM »
Might as well just replace the whole shaft while you got it off, since it has been exposed and can have problems b4 too long.  If you replace the shaft you're just covering your butt, just in case you got a little rock or grain of sand in the wrong place in ur boots.

Good luck!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -