Author Topic: Appropriate for Memorial Day!!  (Read 7653 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Appropriate for Memorial Day!!
« on: May 25, 2005, 01:58:26 PM »
 http://www.eclecticwebs.com/funfile/WeSupportYou/

Thanks to all who have served.  It may be a little early, but there is never an inappropriate time to show our appreciation to our men and women, past and present, who served, have served, and will serve our nation.

"ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL"

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:  :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Appropriate for Memorial Day!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 02:06:03 PM »
1607 Reasons to say thank you! :usa:

The Faces of the Fallen

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 02:16:13 PM »
:thumbs:  Thanks MiniSimp

April 4th

Spc. Casey Sheehan
Vacaville, CA

He was one of the 1st Eagle Scouts in my old Boy Scout troop

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 02:19:41 PM »
 :usa:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 03:19:43 PM »
  :usa:  :down:  :usa:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 03:53:23 PM »
:usa:  I firmly believe that those who are serving now and have served weather they made it home or not would want us to live free and respect our freedom that they fought and died for. You can never say enough to ever thank them for what they gave up for our way of life so lets not forget them and why they gave so much.

To all that served in all the wars you fought. Thank you and God bless. :usa:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 05:36:50 PM »
:usa: I firmly believe that those who are serving now and have served weather they made it home or not would want us to live free and respect our freedom that they fought and died for. You can never say enough to ever thank them for what they gave up for our way of life so lets not forget them and why they gave so much.

To all that served in all the wars you fought. Thank you and God bless. :usa:

That's my hubby!  :love: I couldn't have said it better. :usa: Those who serve to defend and protect us have my utmost respect  :usa: Thank you.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 06:04:34 PM »
:usa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 06:18:11 PM »
This Memorial Day will mean more to me than all the others combined.  I finally got to Pearl Harbor and saw the Arizona.  My great uncle (grandpa's brother) died on it when he was 18.  This is the only death in my family out of several combat vets.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 06:24:29 PM »
amen!!! heres one for all the people out there that have faught for our freedome :beerchug:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 06:42:02 PM »
 :usa: So far so good, I guess what they say is true..... no news is good news, my wife's nephew is in Iraq currently and is a member of the counter terrorism unit for the Marines. From what I've been hearing on the news lately I can assume that he is in the thick of it, since his unit was deployed there, is when they started hitting the terrorists in thier own backyards.  :usa:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 08:24:44 PM »
My Battle Buddy from basic, roommate and good friend SPC William J Maher, 1/36 Infantry, was killed 28July03 in Bahgdad from a 13 year old boy dropping a grenade from an over pass while we were in a convoy
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »
That's the sick part about this whole thing. Those people don't care about life and would kill you with out hesitating. That's why it's better to keep them busy over there than have them over here.

My deepest sympathy to their families and friends for having to loose what is so dear to them for this sad group of people.

I had a video clip once where these people were having a contest of sorts where they would dive head first into the ground from a Cliff and they were being judged on how well they died. That shows how much respect they have for life!

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »
Paul Harvey said  the other day that the only logical way  to end this war was the way Harry Truman ended WWII

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 06:27:12 PM »
Paul Harvey said the other day that the only logical way to end this war was the way Harry Truman ended WWII

That would only do any good if we took out all our enemies at the same time. There are others watching and waiting for their turn. No doubt it is a touchy situation and there is nothing we can do to change their minds about us as Americans so we need to be strong and watch our backs.

All of that has nothing to do with acknowledging the bravery of all our service men and women that are in harms way and have given their lives so we can enjoy our freedoms.

We need to stay on track as this is their day and not bicker about the goings on in the world.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 06:34:20 PM by Willy Mammoth »

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 06:43:03 PM »
absolutely    :usa:  My Dad lost his left leg in WWII

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 06:45:53 PM »

I found this in a search and think it is fitting that I share it.

Remarks by President Bush
at Arlington National Cemetery Memorial Day Commemoration
Arlington National Cemetery
May 31, 2004

Thank you all very much. Thank you all. Welcome. Mr. Secretary, thank you for your great
leadership as Secretary of Defense for our country. General Myers, members of the United
States military, veterans, honored guests, and fellow Americans. This morning I had the honor
of placing a wreath before the Tomb of the Unknowns. This custom is observed every
Memorial Day on behalf of the American people as a mark of gratitude and respect.

And when this ceremony is concluded, and all of us have gone on our way, the Honor Guard
will keep watch over the Tomb. Every hour of every day, on the coldest nights, in the hardest
rain, there is a sentinel of the 3rd U.S. Infantry standing guard. The soldiers entrusted with
that duty count it a privilege. And, today, as we reflect on the men and women who have died
in the defense of America, all of us count it a privilege to be citizens of the country they served.

In the military tradition, no one is left behind on the field of battle. And our nation is determined
to account for all of the missing. The same spirit can be seen in the respect we show to each
life laid down for this nation. We receive them in sorrow, and we take them to an honored place
to rest. At this and other cemeteries across our country, and in cemeteries abroad where
heroes fell, America acknowledges a debt that is beyond our power to repay.

This weekend, we dedicated the World War II Memorial, which will stand forever as a tribute to
the generation that fought that war and the more than 400,000 Americans who fell. Some here
today can turn their minds back across 60 years and see the face of a buddy who never made
it home. You are veterans who have not forgotten your comrades. And America will always
honor the achievements and the character of your brave generation.

Through our history, America has gone to war reluctantly, because we have known the costs
of war. And the war on terror we're fighting today has brought great costs of its own. Since the
hour this nation was attacked, we have seen the character of the men and women who wear
our country's uniform. In places like Kabul and Kandahar, in Mosul and Baghdad, we have
seen their decency and their brave spirit. Because of their fierce courage, America is safer,
two terror regimes are gone forever, and more than 50 million souls now live in freedom.

Those who have fought these battles and served this cause can be proud of all they have
achieved. And these veterans of battle will carry with them for all their days the memory of the
ones who did not live to be called veterans. They will remember young soldiers like Captain
Joshua Byers, a West Point man born in South Carolina who died in Iraq. When this son of
missionaries was given command of a 120-man combat unit, he wrote this to his parents: "I
will give the men everything I have to give. I love them already, just because they're mine. I
pray, with all my heart, that I will be able to take every single one of them home safe when we
finish our mission here."

Sergeant Major Michael Stack, who was laid to rest at Arlington, wore the uniform for 28 years
and is remembered as a soldier's soldier. The sergeant major must have been quite a guy.
When he was a young platoon sergeant, the recruits gave him a nickname: No Slack Billy
Jack Stack. (Laughter.) By all accounts, he was the kind of man you want in charge of a
tough situation. And by the account of his mother, he finished his goodbyes with these words:
"Mom, I'm going because I believe in what I am doing. And if I don't come back, we will meet
in a better place."

Those who risked their lives on our behalf are often very clear about what matters most in their
own lives, and they tell it to those they love. Master Sergeant Kelly Hornbeck, of the Special
Forces, was killed in action last January, south of Samarra. To his parents back in Fort
Worth, Texas, he wrote this: "I am not afraid, and neither should either of you be -- For I trust
in my God and my training, two powerful forces that cannot be fully measured."

After Private First Class Jesse Givens, of Springfield, Missouri was lost last May, his family
received a letter he had written to them in the event of his death. He wrote this to his son,
Dakota: "You've taught me that life isn't so serious, and sometimes you just have to play. You
have a big, beautiful heart. Through your life, you need to keep it open and follow it. I will
always be there in our park when you dream, so we can play." To his wife, Melissa, Private
Givens wrote, "Do me a favor after you tuck the children in -- give them hugs and kisses from
me. Go outside and look at the stars and count them. Don't forget to smile." This is the
quality of the people in our uniform.

And this is the loss to our nation. Markers on these hills record the names of more than
280,000 men and women. Each was once or still is the most important person in someone's
life. With each loss in war, the world changed forever for the family and friends left behind.
Each loss left others to go on, counting the years of separation, and living in the hope of
reunion.

Although the burden of grief can become easier to bear, always there is the memory of another
time, and the feeling of sadness over an unfinished life. Yet, the completeness of a life is not
measured in length only. It is measured in the deeds and commitments that give a life its
purpose. And the commitment of these lives was clear to all: They defended our nation, they
liberated the oppressed, they served the cause of peace. And all Americans who have known
the loss and sadness of war, whether recently or long ago, can know this: The person they
love and missed is honored and remembered by the United States of America.

May God bless our country.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 06:49:52 PM »
That's the sick part about this whole thing. Those people don't care about life and would kill you with out hesitating. That's why it's better to keep them busy over there than have them over here.

My deepest sympathy to their families and friends for having to loose what is so dear to them for this sad group of people.

I had a video clip once where these people were having a contest of sorts where they would dive head first into the ground from a Cliff and they were being judged on how well they died. That shows how much respect they have for life!
That's the whole problem, not only do they not have respect for their own lives, they believe that by dying for their cause they will be rewarded with 72 virgins in heaven (personally I like think it's a typo and they've got 72 Virginian's waiting fer them when they get there! YEEHAW! with shotguns. KA-CHIK)

But the stupid thing with "the other side" is, no matter what your stance we are all infidels and we all must die. It doesn't matter if left wing hippie commie tree hugging nut cases or if we are right wing flag waving gun touting nut cases or Korean's for that matter...we are ALL infidels...and therefore we ALL must die.

BUT on the other side of the coin, not all muslim's are extremist's either. They want our/thier freedom as much as we do.

No one said it would be easy, and no one said it would be over quickly.
War isn't pretty and freedom isn't free.  :usa:

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 10:37:23 PM »
That's the whole problem, not only do they not have respect for their own lives, they believe that by dying for their cause they will be rewarded with 72 virgins in heaven (personally I like think it's a typo and they've got 72 Virginian's waiting fer them when they get there! YEEHAW! with shotguns. KA-CHIK)

But the stupid thing with "the other side" is, no matter what your stance we are all infidels and we all must die. It doesn't matter if left wing hippie commie tree hugging nut cases or if we are right wing flag waving gun touting nut cases or Korean's for that matter...we are ALL infidels...and therefore we ALL must die.

BUT on the other side of the coin, not all muslim's are extremist's either. They want our/thier freedom as much as we do.

No one said it would be easy, and no one said it would be over quickly.
War isn't pretty and freedom isn't free.  :usa:

Well said Mrs. Mammoth, but I dont think that is quite fair.  I want in on the beaintgs as well, I dont think we should let the virginians have all the fun :nope:

-Ronald Reagan

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 03:11:36 PM »
I have spent countless hours reading these Congressional Medal Of Honor recipients citations. Most gave their lives, and they represent just a handfull of the hundreds of thousands who have given all, with and without medals. Some of these citations are absolutely amazing.
Pick any campaign and read a few, the human spirit and courage is quite sobering.
Semper Fi  :usa:    

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/Moh1.htm
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 03:45:30 PM »
 Toecutter, I like your avitar.

Good site too. :thumbs:

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 04:21:21 PM »
Here are a couple other cool sites.

http://www.semperfimarine.com/

http://www.usmemorialday.org/

There is going to be a bunch of good programs on the History Channel this weekend.

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/memorial/index.jsp

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 02:00:02 PM »
I love serving in the military. When I swore the oath to defend my country against all enemys foreign and domestic I got thousands of new brothers and sisters. Everyone out there is one big family and I am so glad this war isnt like Vietnam. It would be terrible for them to come back from busting their ass and losing friends to be spit on and hated by people of your own country. I am an electrician on KC10's and I wish I could do more for everyone over in the desert. I may not be over there but I make sure I work my ass off because it all helps. Those fighters cant kick ass with out tanker gas! :usa:
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 08:29:07 PM »
Thanks Rocks Hurt Good and everyone else that's on our side. People can make a difference even if they just support our troops from home.

Just watched a show about Sobibor in Germany. This was a death camp that 250 thousands people were killed in world war II. They went from the train to grave in 65 minutes.

More to come on the History Chanel this weekend.

Really glad we won that war.  :bowdown:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 08:41:39 PM by Willy Mammoth »

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2005, 06:36:34 AM »
 :usa: this was in our local paper this morning:

We, the people, bury our heroes with the promise to remember. The Congress of the United States has created the National Moment of Remembrance to reach Americans with one simple message: Don't forget the true meaning of Memorial Day to honor our fallen. No other holidays would be possible without the sacrifices of those brave men and women who have died for freedom since the founding of our nation. Today let us all unite in remembrance to honor those who have ensured that freedom rings in the home of the brave.

Americans are asked to pause, wherever you are, at 3 p.m. (local time).

Participation may be informal. It can be as simple as ringing a bell to mark the moment.

Bells carry significant symbolism -- from "proclaiming liberty throughout the land" to the marking of the passing of a soul. The Moment of Remembrance is a time to remember our fallen and to make a commitment to give something back to our country in their memory. --

CARMELLA LASPADA, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, WHITE HOUSE COMMISSION ON REMEMBRANCE

always remember and never forget.  :bowdown:   :usa:

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2005, 06:48:42 AM »
check out the video:

http://www.gop.com/

Where is the Mammoth?

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2005, 07:13:25 AM »
Thank you Veterans of the United States of America and to their families....God Bless.  :usa:

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2005, 07:37:54 AM »
Here are a couple other cool sites.

http://www.semperfimarine.com/

http://www.usmemorialday.org/

There is going to be a bunch of good programs on the History Channel this weekend.

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/memorial/index.jsp

Excellent sites thanks Mr. W.

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2005, 08:01:59 AM »
USMC Terms:

Leatherneck: The nickname Leatherneck has become a universal moniker for a U.S. Marine. The term originated from the wide and stiff leather neck-piece that was part of the Marine Corps uniform from 1798 until 1872. This leather collar, called The Stock, was roughly four inches high and had two purposes. In combat, it protected the neck and jugular vein from cutlasses slashes. On parade, it kept a Marine's head erect. The term is so widespread that it has become the name of the Marine Corps Association monthly magazine, LEATHERNECK.

Gyrene: Around 1900, members of the U.S. Navy began using Gyrene as a jocular derogatory reference to U.S. Marines. Instead of being insulted, the Marines loved it. The term became common by World War I and has been extensively used since that time.

Jarhead: For roughly 50 years, sailors had little luck in their effort to insult Marines by calling them Gyrenes. So, during World War II sailors began referring to Marines as Jarheads. Presumably the high collar on the Marine Dress Blues uniform made a Marine's head look like it was sticking out of the top of a Mason jar. Marines were not insulted. Instead, they embraced the new moniker as a term of utmost respect.

Devil Dogs: The German Army coined this term of respect for U.S. Marines during World War I. In the summer of 1918 the German Army was driving toward Paris. The French Army was in full retreat. In a desperate effort to save Paris, the newly arrived U.S. Marines were thrown into the breach. In June 1918, in bitter fighting lasting for weeks, Marines repeatedly repulsed the Germans in Belleau Wood. The German drive toward Paris sputtered, fizzled, and died. Then the Marines attacked and swept the Germans back out of Belleau Wood. Paris had been saved. The tide of war had turned. Five months later Germany would be forced to accept an armistice. The battle tenacity and fury of the U.S. Marines had stunned the Germans. In their official reports they called the Marines "teufel hunden," meaning Devil Dogs, the ferocious mountain dogs of Bavarian folklore.

Soldiers of the Sea: A traditional and functional term for Marines, dating back to the British in the 1600's

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2005, 08:41:45 AM »
Marine Corps Emblem
"Eagle Globe and Anchor"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The history of the Marine Corps emblem is a story related to the history of the Corps itself. The emblem of today traces its roots to the designs and ornaments of early Continental Marines as well as British Royal Marines. The emblem took its present form in 1868. Before that time many devices, ornaments, and distinguishing marks followed one another as official marks of the Corps.

In 1776, the device consisted of a "foul anchor" of silver or pewter. The foul anchor still forms a part of the emblem today. (A foul anchor is an anchor which has one or more turns of the chain around it). Changes were made in 1798, 1821, and 1824. In 1834 it was prescribed that a brass eagle be worn on the hat, the eagle to measure 3 1/2 inches from wingtip to wingtip.

During the early years numerous distinguishing marks were prescribed, including "black cockades, "scarlet plumes," and "yellow bands and tassels." In 1859 the origin of the present color scheme for the officer's dress uniform ornaments appeared on an elaborate device of solid white metal and yellow metal. The design included a United States shield, half wreath, a bugle, and the letter "M."

In 1868, Brigadier General Commandant Jacob Zeilin appointed a board "to decide and report upon the various devices of cap ornaments for the Marine Corps." On 13 November 1868, the board turned in its report. It was approved by the Commandant four days later, and on 19 November 1868 was signed by the Secretary of the Navy.

The emblem recommended by this board has survived with minor changes to this day. It consists of a globe (showing the Western Hemisphere) intersected by a foul anchor, and surmounted by a spread eagle. On the emblem itself, the device is topped by a ribbon inscribed with the Latin motto "Semper Fidelis" (Always Faithful). The uniform ornaments omit the motto ribbon.

The general design of the emblem was probably derived from the British Royal Marines' "Globe and Laurel." The globe on the U.S. Marine emblem signifies service in any part of the world. The eagle also indirectly signifies service worldwide, although this may not have been the intention of the designers in 1868. The eagle they selected for the Marine emblem is a crested eagle, a type found all over the world. On the other hand, the eagle pictured on the great seal and the currency of the United States is the bald eagle, strictly an American variety. The anchor, whose origin dates back to the founding of the Marine Corps in 1775, indicates the amphibious nature of Marines' duties.