Author Topic: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!  (Read 212952 times)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!
« Reply #300 on: Aug 26, 2006, 11:40:45 AM »
What ya need to get is a second set of cheap radial tires for just running around, and when you know your going wheeling switch them out!  I'd never run bias ply on my DD.  Just for the simple fact they ride horrible and gas mileage gets worse.  And this day of gas prices, I'd run a tall and skinny tire for hwy driving! 

I wish I still had my motorcycle, but the last thing I want to do at midnight is drive home in the rain or fog on it!  I just sold it for my Toyota fund!   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Aug 26, 2006, 11:36:02 PM »
Sweet tires Mike! Here in Bama, a buddy of mine put tractor tires on his rig and I believe they are bias ply and that thing is all over the road! I think this is perfectly normal, but can be a bit disturbing at times....
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Aug 27, 2006, 12:43:27 AM »
It doesn't matter how old ya are, your mom will never like the fact that you own a motorcycle!  My mom would cut out all the newspaper clippings and print up all the articles about how a motorcyclist was killed today!  And give them to me!  She gave me the biggest I love you and a hug when I told her that I sold mine!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #303 on: Aug 27, 2006, 05:30:06 AM »
Definitely my mother was against the motorcycle. Marlin trusts that I can take care of myself and that I am very aware of other drivers who do not see me, but it took my mother a while to get used to it. I've been riding for just over a year now. Took my motorcycle license test right before my permit expired and I passed with flying colors. I got the bike for just $700 and the argument was how much gas money and insurance I could save.

I would say that the only times that I am scared is when I am stopped at a red light and the vehicles from the cross traffic are slowing down to make a left turn, just to my left. If for some reason they lost control or they understeered really bad, they would just take me out. I would never be able to move in time.

But the good thing is that just as I predicted, more and more people seem to be riding bikes in my city. I predicted (rather obviously) that due to the high gas prices that more people would switch to bikes for daily drivers. The more bikes you have on the streets, the more aware other drivers will become of the bikes around them.

Well, it is 5:30am and I am almost ready to leave for Jose Basin. Pics to follow!!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Aug 27, 2006, 06:40:11 AM »
It doesn't matter how old ya are, your mom will never like the fact that you own a motorcycle!  My mom would cut out all the newspaper clippings and print up all the articles about how a motorcyclist was killed today!  And give them to me!  She gave me the biggest I love you and a hug when I told her that I sold mine!

That is when you show her all the people that get killed in car crashes. I am sure there are far more than motorcycles.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Aug 27, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »
I've gone around and around with her on the motorcycle topic, but she will not give up!  You know how mothers are?! 

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: Aug 27, 2006, 02:08:46 PM »
yes I have ridden dirtbikes since I was 10 and my dad wants me to get a bike so then he could have an excuse to get one but I don't want my mom to freak. I know people are killed more freequently in car crashes considering I have had 5 friends killed in car accidents and none in motorcycle accidents but my mom understands that, she just has a negative "unsafe" image tied to the bike. Someday when I'm done with college and out of her house I will own a bike but sadly I must wait just so she doesn't lose her mind. My older brother almost bought a bike and my mom told me she would rather me have the bike over him considering he is 21 and has been in like 8 car accidents (all his fault except one) and I have had my license for over 2.5 years and not had one. Some people just don't belong on motored vehicles.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:41:13 AM »
Well, it is 5:30am and I am almost ready to leave for Jose Basin. Pics to follow!!

Forgot to link the pictures. Click here for all of them: Jose Basin Pictures

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:52:03 AM »
Current Issues:
#1.
Truck popped out of 1st gear while I was trying Ten Dollar Rock. It actually happened right when I finally was making it up and we all were relaxing. I wasn't even holding the steering wheel at that time and the truck just suddenly fell back by about 10 feet. I was quick on the brakes but that ain't gonna stop much.
I have always had issues with 1st gear from this junk yard W56. It sometimes will pop out of 1st when I engage the clutch if I am not all the way shifted into first. I told that to Marlin and from what I can remember I think he said that the center bearing plate is worn out and it is allowing the whole mainshaft to walk fore and aft.
So I was keeping pressure on the shift lever whenever I didn't trust it.

#2.
My rear t/case output seal has always leaked on angles and was leaking quite a bit since I did so many vertical climbs. I need to replace that soon.

#3.
Engine runs out of oil pressure on vertical climbs. I am guessing that the last time my diff hit my oil pan, that it must have bent the oil pickup tube and it may be cracked, as I cut it and braised it already. This is something that I definitely want to fix before the Round Up. I had to heavily modify my oil pan when I installed the HySteer system. Well, now I am thinking about making a new Drag Link that is bent to clear the oil pan. Then I will just replace the whole oil pan and pick up tube with new factory parts. Also, if I scoot the motor back a bit, like just a inch, it will allow for much more clearance between the diff and the oil pan.

My P/S box seems to be holding up just fine for now. I am not going to worry about it until later this winter.
I need to build E-Locker Harnesses for both my front locker and for Bevin's rear locker.
I need to louver my hood and get some better cooling in there.

That's about it for now
BigMike

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #309 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »
Current Issues:
#1.
Truck popped out of 1st gear while I was trying Ten Dollar Rock.
If only there was somebody you knew that worked on transmissions.... :dunno:

Is there another oil pan you can swap in that is shaped differently?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Aug 28, 2006, 10:12:08 AM »
Oh, I forgot to add that I will be getting new pivot blocks before the round up as well.

If only there was somebody you knew that worked on transmissions.... :dunno:
yeah I know huh! :hammerhead:

Well, I just want to run a stock oil pan and not have to worry about it. The whole problem is that I mounted my engine way to low. I learned from that mistake and mounted both Marlin's and Bevin's in the correct factory placement. You can fit a basketball between their front diff and 3RZ oil pan. I am more like a volley ball size in there. But at the same time though, I like it because I am keeping my center of gravity really low! Which is a great thing! So instead of just fixing the problem the correct way, I have been trying to compromise. I have a couple good ideas still left to try with it before I give in and lift the engine up.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #311 on: Aug 28, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »
I just raised my motor an inch from factory, I cant tell the diffence when driving. Your center of gravity should change very little.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Aug 28, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »
That's good news godfather.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Aug 28, 2006, 08:02:07 PM »
if I scoot the motor back a bit, like just a inch, it will allow for much more clearance between the diff and the oil pan.

What if you moved your axle forward an inch? That would give you more clearance for the tires too.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Aug 29, 2006, 12:36:01 AM »
I've already moved the axle forward a bit (from the springs), and due to the fact that my factory front spring hangers keep cracking, I am getting tempted to install our HD front spring hanger. But that will move the front end up about 1/2" taller or so...

that might help to keep the diff away from the pan, but I feel that for its current width, my truck is FAR TO TALL. I wish it was 2 or 3" shorter, or, 4" wider all around and keep the height its at now.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: Aug 29, 2006, 04:20:07 AM »
i know what you mean my fiance would kill me if I bought a street bike.  I've been riding since I was 5 and have riden  number of street bikes but its all the stupid other drivers out there that don't see you

Not totally.  I've seen way more than my fair share of people look directly at you, then pull out right in front of you.  Or they'll be the only one on the freeway and refuse to move over so you can merge on.  The last jerk to do that was in a new vette, and when I realized what he was doing I figured I'd hafta get on it and pull ahead of him, but he tried speeding up at the same time I did.  I very rarely tell people they're #1, but it was his lucky day. 

So true.  My mom still worries, and why?  It's not like I crashed at around 90mph and hit my head on a metal reflector post, losing a day of my life and some of my short term memory, or anything like that.  Wait.....no, I think that may be a big part of it.  She's equally scared if I'm on the street or the track though, it's just the fact that I'm on a bike that scares her. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #316 on: Aug 29, 2006, 10:01:03 AM »
What if you us the HD hanger and then remove a leaf, would that be enough to settle down that 1/2 " plus softer ride.

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Aug 29, 2006, 10:02:19 AM »
Not totally.  I've seen way more than my fair share of people look directly at you, then pull out right in front of you.  Or they'll be the only one on the freeway and refuse to move over so you can merge on.  The last jerk to do that was in a new vette, and when I realized what he was doing I figured I'd hafta get on it and pull ahead of him, but he tried speeding up at the same time I did.  I very rarely tell people they're #1, but it was his lucky day. 

So true.  My mom still worries, and why?  It's not like I crashed at around 90mph and hit my head on a metal reflector post, losing a day of my life and some of my short term memory, or anything like that.  Wait.....no, I think that may be a big part of it.  She's equally scared if I'm on the street or the track though, it's just the fact that I'm on a bike that scares her. 
That's pretty funny nate. U know there are a lot of people that hate motorcycles and their riders and will do that kind of :pokinit: on purpose. I've seen it before many times.  :maddest: I quit riding after a wreck (on my own accord) and I had an IV in my arm for a month and a half and almost lost a hand. That sucked bad  ::)  sorry im :offtopic:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Aug 29, 2006, 10:52:42 AM »
What if you us the HD hanger and then remove a leaf, would that be enough to settle down that 1/2 " plus softer ride.
I thought about that, but with all the weight up front (engine) I don't think the springs would last like that.. I did that in the rear (I have removed 3 leafs) but I rarely carry anything in the bed so the springs are doing just fine.

I like how low the engine is, and I like how far forward the engine is. Both of those two qualities are way off from stock. I had to modify my radiator support and relocate the radiator forward by about an inch in order to fit my e-fan.

But I believe that having the weight as far forward and over the front axle is a huge benifit for climbing, and of course having the engine low is great for CG.

I am going to order a new oil pan and oil pickup tube, and I will redo my drag link. Here is what I am thinking about doing:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Aug 29, 2006, 10:56:25 AM »
It won't take much at all. I will just need to draw it out on paper and get the correct measurement before I cut the bar.

The bend doesn't need to be much either, maybe just like a 10 degree bend or something. Then I can brace it at the bend because the oil pan will not be above the bracing, so the bracing won't cause any clearance issues.

I have never adjusted my drag link anyways, so I am not worried about the fact that I will no longer be able to adjust the link by simply turning it. I will just get it as straight as I can and then adjust the steering wheel in the cab to center the wheel. The pitman arm will stay where it is, which is centered on the range of the box right now. Just as long as I make the correct measurements, it should work out just fine.

I should have done that instead of modifing my oil pan. What a L O N G night that was. I think I got home around 4am and had school the next morning.

BigMike

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Aug 29, 2006, 11:24:02 AM »
i think you might have to make another bend where it meets to the pitman arm so you dont over stress the ball joint.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #321 on: Aug 29, 2006, 03:03:40 PM »
I agree with yotadork83

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Aug 30, 2006, 12:32:51 AM »
ahhh so wise in the way of the force are you

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #323 on: Aug 30, 2006, 04:16:03 PM »
Mikey  Im making you a offer you cant refuse.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: Aug 30, 2006, 04:25:57 PM »
well then I refuse it

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Aug 30, 2006, 06:07:19 PM »
I thought about that, but with all the weight up front (engine) I don't think the springs would last like that.. I did that in the rear (I have removed 3 leafs) but I rarely carry anything in the bed so the springs are doing just fine.

I like how low the engine is, and I like how far forward the engine is. Both of those two qualities are way off from stock. I had to modify my radiator support and relocate the radiator forward by about an inch in order to fit my e-fan.

But I believe that having the weight as far forward and over the front axle is a huge benifit for climbing, and of course having the engine low is great for CG.

I am going to order a new oil pan and oil pickup tube, and I will redo my drag link. Here is what I am thinking about doing:
mike-i did this on my 85, worked great!!! but i bent the pitman 6 degrees, so that it wouldnt overstess the ball joint at the pitman arm. see you in 8 days------and remember the monoco motorhome vents

locktup

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Locktup Fab
    • View Profile
    • www.locktupfabrication.com
« Reply #326 on: Aug 30, 2006, 10:10:46 PM »
Ive been looking at those tires. Let me know how they work  :driving:.     Lookin good Mike.
See you at the springs.

Jason
LOCKTUP SHOULD HAVE HIS OWN DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHOW!!

www.LOCKTUPFABRICATION.com

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Sep 27, 2006, 09:45:17 PM »
I got tired of waiting for the TRD Fuel Computer so I yanked my ol' APEX'i Super AFC (Air Fuel Converter) out of my poor ol' MR2 and got it installed :greengrin:

Now it's just a matter of tunning :thud: and then it will be a lot of :driving: :burnout:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Sep 28, 2006, 12:34:58 PM »
Alright, I just spent some time and read Gadget's U-Tune Document, so I am all set and ready to begin tuning. I will eventually need to get a Wideband O2 kit, but man those things are expensive and I am already running off of hand-me down parts as it is :ack:

Well, like I always used to complain with my MR2, "I never had the money to do it right the first time"
So if I am going to make this engine last and run correctly, it looks like I need to dish out the bucks and keep my cake hole shut.

For now I will just be tuning the short and long term fuel trims with the AFC until I get them set. That will do great for driveability, but it won't mean much during OPEN LOOP conditions (WOT throttle). That I'll have to tune later when I can rob a couple of banks and get an O2 monitor.

Tonight Bevin and I are going to install the new and improved Dave Wong Pivot Block v2 pivot blocks, so expect more on that later today :thumbs:

I am getting my truck ready for the Fresno 4WD Club Dusy run in one more week :greengrin:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2006, 01:04:57 PM by BigMike »

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #329 on: Sep 28, 2006, 12:57:08 PM »
Have you put the new pivot blocks on yet?