Author Topic: How to Pass Smog  (Read 180671 times)

Roc Doc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -62
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • Total Karnage
Re: How to Pass Smog
« Reply #60 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:18:17 AM »
After doing some reading about racing gas, it seems most of the stuff you can buy at the pump, (ie: 76), has quite a bit of Toulene to raise the octane.  The problem with running this fuel in a low compression motor like a 22r or RE is that it burns so slow that it may increase the HC readings by going out the exhaust as unburnt fuel.

BTW, I did the retard timing/high idle trick and passed after failing on the HC readings at idle.

Good thread and thanks to all. :beer:

Doc
According to a recent study, 50% of all statistics are correct.

waldo1979

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #61 on: Apr 07, 2005, 02:15:27 PM »
I've got an 81' 4x4 which was a real pain to pass smog. After rebuilding the carb, replacing the cat/O2 sensors, general tune-up (plugs, wires, etc.), and reconnecting misc. smog equipment, the problem turned out to be the EGR system. There is a tube which connects from the head to the carb which was jam packed with carb. After chisles that out and replacing the EGR vacuum jobby (which had visible carbon scoring... probably an indictator of a jam packed tube) the truck passed with flying colors. After passing, I disconnected the belt from the smog pump so that it will last until the next smog text  :)

PurpleYotaGirl

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Female Posts: 55
  • Member since Jun '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • RIG
« Reply #62 on: Apr 11, 2005, 06:06:02 PM »
#1. Run the best gas you can find. I used 91 oct. Chevron

That one is a Myth :)

tychota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Apr '05
  • rock out or get out!!
« Reply #63 on: Apr 11, 2005, 10:27:38 PM »
i found that runing your tank down to about a gallon and a half of gas then putting about a gallon or so of 90% isopropal alcohol (found at any local grocery store) works great.  :thumbs:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 13,800
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2005, 10:12:57 AM »
Just smogged my tow vehicle yesterday, it is a 1977 Dodge van with about 97,000 on the od. Imagine that it passed the first time through with no tricks, why you ask? Because I take care of it, tune it up, change the oil every 5,000 miles and fix the problems that would cause it not to run right. You wouldn't need all those little tricks if you'd just take care of your junk. My 80 Yota passed last year too, first time through and it has mods, 22r/20r, headers, cam, etc., etc. If you stick to the tricks that make your rig run correctly you should be ok, don't wait until the last minute to try to make it pass. Make sure to tune it up, change the air filter, change your oil, so on and so on. Most of the time a new CAT in an old vehicle will help get it through, a couple hundred bucks of insurance there. Granted it won't fix the problem that is causing it not  to pass but it will burn everything coming out your tail-pipe before it burns out too.

Oh one more little thing, a friend of mine works for the B.A.R. and they love threads like these especially when they can get your tag off the avatar or pictures of your rig thread, then red flag your reg at the DMV for your next smog. Think I'm B.S.ing you and that they don't have the time to check out these sites? I'm sure that there may even be a B.A.R. employee that is a member here.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 10:22:52 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

:ninja: The Ninja

R.I.P. Paul Acosta: In work, In play, In life, a friend forever

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 1340
  • Male Posts: 17,784
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2005, 01:37:23 AM »
#1. Run the best gas you can find. I used 91 oct. Chevron

That one is a Myth :)

Try it. Smog your vehicle with 87 arco water and then smog it again with 91+ oct gasoline. In my experience it helps.
New Instagram: @SlowestTacoma

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Triple T/Case 3rd gen Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Error occurred because of error.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
Things are only impossible until they are not.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2005, 09:42:49 AM »
Understanding how octane works may help, the lower the octane the more volatile and uncontrolled the burn will be, of course the higher the octane the smother and more evenly it will burn. Most people believe that the higher the octane the more volatile it is when it is the exact opposite. When a spark-plug ingnites the lower octcane just goes boom, all the fuel goes up at the same time in the combustine chamber, high octane burns slower over a longer period of time (still fast by our standards) and that is what eliminates the pinging you hear on lower octane fuels.

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2005, 02:17:03 PM »
i am going to print this post from BigMike
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

wsuweston

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #68 on: Aug 01, 2005, 12:45:19 AM »
I don't have to test my cars either, small town.  But when I did live in a big city I think that you only had to test if the vehicle was less than 20 years old

wsuweston

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #69 on: Aug 01, 2005, 12:53:36 AM »
My fault its 24 years.  Also max your PSI up on the tires before you go

justcuz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #70 on: Sep 30, 2005, 05:31:40 PM »
One reason the Isopropyl Alcohol works at reduction of emissions is it allows any moisture in your fuel tank to blend with the fuel and go through your combustion chamber. The water breaks down into smaller droplets and when it is subjected to the heat of combustion it turns to steam, leaning out the mixture slightly and producing cleaner exhaust. Use about a pint for a tankful of gas and it should not hurt anything, it is not illegal, and actually helps clean your combustion chambers. Hence a cleaner engine, inside that is. Anyone remember the Windex tuneups? Take off your air cleaner, run your engine up to about 1500rpm and mist Windex down the carb throat. Did the same thing as the Isopropyl Alcohol. Next time your at the Auto Parts store, check out the major ingredients of any gas extender or gas saver product. Usually Propynol.

RyanXJ98

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 59
  • Member since Oct '05
  • :pokinit: just gets worse!!!
« Reply #71 on: Oct 26, 2005, 02:37:38 PM »
in my area... Mercer County , Pa.... all i have to show for my emmissions is that i have the proper things attatched to my vehicle and that my gas cap seals and functions ok as to vacuum and pressure.....so i go to a jeep guy.. he looks.. sees my cat hangin under it.. somewhat connected.. checks the cap.. it fails.. grabs a new vap... passes.. and then he puts the old cap back on and says have a nice day.. how great it is to have friends who wheel .. to inspect the vehicle
It may not be the end of the world.... but it may be the end of all hope... F' it can't turn around now.

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
« Reply #72 on: Oct 28, 2005, 11:32:51 AM »
the did away with the OK state inspection in 2001, right after I got my inspectors licencse,
Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

94SRUNNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -291
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #73 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:47:18 AM »
For anyone living in Ohio, there is good news, Emissions testing is no more unless you live in Cleveland or the Akron area. Hope this is good news for anyone living in Ohio.
Insured by Smith and Wesson

85yoda

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #74 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:23:46 PM »
On the new 4 stoke bikes there are new bike that you can get green stickers, my friend bought a green sticker 2005 green sticker crf 250.
Nice!

85yoda

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #75 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »
On my 85 yota i had it smogged last year and the it didnt pass. and then the guy said that i needed a new egr valve, and at the time i didnt have anymore more money because i spent it on the truck.lol so my friend told me if i do the timing and get a new o2 sensor that it might pass, so i did that and on the sheet i pass with the No(PPM) Max 1136 Ave 406 Meas 1101 so i barley passed and i need a egr valve now
                                           Max 1222 Ave 349 Meas 1222
Nice!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #76 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:06:34 PM »
On the new 4 stoke bikes there are new bike that you can get green stickers, my friend bought a green sticker 2005 green sticker crf 250.

That's the way they do it now I think  from 2000+ 2 stroke gets a limited use red sticker and 4 strokes get a unlimited use green  sticker.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
« Reply #77 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »
Oh one more little thing, a friend of mine works for the B.A.R. and they love threads like these especially when they can get your tag off the avatar or pictures of your rig thread, then red flag your reg at the DMV for your next smog. Think I'm B.S.ing you and that they don't have the time to check out these sites? I'm sure that there may even be a B.A.R. employee that is a member here.

Wow, this furtherer illustrates the fact that the WHOLE SMOG PROGRAM is here just to CONTROL US. All of the advice found here is to REDUCE emissions. I don't give a crap if what we are doing is "against the books" I am trying to have less pollution come out of my vehicle.

Obviously even when I know how to make my vehicle safer for the environment, I can get a violation/ticket/fine for doing that because it is "illegal."

It pisses me off everytime I think about it. My 1995 engine must be 400% cleaner burning then my 1981 engine, and yet I had to leap through burning hoops just to get it "legal."

I call :bull crap: :bull crap: :bull crap: :bull crap: :bull crap: The whole smog program is all :bull crap: :bull crap: :bull crap: :bull crap:

All they need to be concerned with is what is coming out of my tail pipe. If I do some engine modification that makes it cleaner burning, then why do I get punished for it? yup, what a whacked system.

YOguyDa

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
« Reply #78 on: Jan 26, 2006, 06:04:34 PM »
Hey BLACKDOG, are you talking about the guy on Survey rd.? I need to go get my truck smogged this weekend. :reg:  Do you fellow Cali. guys think they'll pass me with no muffler and the exhaust coming out before the back tire?
'86 2wd now...

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
« Reply #79 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:43:48 PM »
Just came across facts and info, thought I would share :greengrin:

California was the first state to require emission control devices on motor vehicles.

Smog
Smog or "Photochemical-Smog", the main by-product of tailpipe emissions, is produced when Hydrocarbons (HC) and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) mix while being exposed to sunlight.

Hydrocarbons Or HC
Hydrocarbons, formed by combining Hydrogen and Carbon molecules, make up a major portion of the pollution emitted by automobiles. Hydrocarbons are basically unburned fuel, (gasoline is a Hydrocarbon compound). Hydrocarbons are the only major automotive air pollutant that comes from sources other than engine exhaust. Hydrocarbon pollution comes from fuel system evaporation (20%), engine exhaust (60%), and vapors or blow-by gases from the crankcase (20%).

Carbon Monoxide Or CO
Carbon Monoxide (CO), a chemical compound of gasoline and oxygen, is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. CO is formed when the combustion process is less than complete, usually due to a rich air/fuel mixture. CO is measured primarily at the tailpipe, but may also escape into the crankcase in blow-by gases

Oxides Of Nitrogen Or NOx
Oxides of Nitrogen or NOx are chemical compounds of Nitrogen and Oxygen, (both common in atmospheric air). NOx form during the combustion process when engine temperatures exceed 2500°F. NOx mix with hydrocarbons in sunlight to produce Photochemical Smog.

Catalytic Converter
The catalytic converter effectively changes harmful pollutants into carbon dioxide and water. Invented in 1969, Federally Mandated in 1975.

Fill Pipe Restrictor
The fill pipe restrictor prevents the larger diameter fuel nozzles used for leaded fuels from entering the fill pipe. Leaded fuel will permanently contaminate the oxygen sensor, and the catalytic converter.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV)
The PCV system prevents blow by (emissions produced by the engine combustion chambers which escape into the crankcase) from entering the atmosphere. By re-circulating the gases back into the intake system, blow by gases are burned along with the incoming air fuel mixture.

Evaporative Control System
The emissions created by the evaporation of raw fuel is controlled by the use of a closed ventilation system for the fuel tank, and a canister filled with activated charcoal to capture the fuel vapors. The charcoal canister captures and stores the vapors as they expand. When the engine is started, a valve is opened allowing the engine to draw air through the charcoal canister thereby also drawing in and burning the stored fuel vapors.

Engine Design: Improved Combustion System (IMCO)
Starting in the 1960's a group of engine modifications were designed to improve combustion and reduce HC and CO in the exhaust. It included a heated primary air system, carburetor design changes, fuel injection, engine "breathing" refinements and spark timing controls.

Comparison of CO Content of Exhaust from Various Vehicles
VehicleMean % CO (± 1s) at (Idle Conditions)
1942 Packard Model 110 Convertible8.0 ± 2%
1964 Ford Ranchero4.5 ± 1%
1980 Mercedes 450 SLC2.0 ± 0.5%
1990 Toyota Camry1.0 ± 0.5%
1998 Acura CL (TLEV)0.4 ± 0.1%
2001 Honda Civic (ULEV)<0.2 %**
2002 Toyota Prius (SULEV)<0.2 %**
** = below detection limit

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
« Reply #80 on: Jun 26, 2006, 02:31:08 AM »
So to reduce smog all we need to do is block out the sun!  :idea:
Mr Burns was on to something  :yupyup:
'82 on 35's, not much else.

Blue-Beard

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
« Reply #81 on: Jun 28, 2006, 01:55:13 PM »
so how about running smaller tires for your smog test? I run 37" tires now, houw much do you think it would help to put some 33" tires on? Shouldn;t the smaller tires take some load off the engine making thus reducing NOx?

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
« Reply #82 on: Jun 28, 2006, 05:31:51 PM »
it will make your engine rev a lot higher though during the speed tests. i dont know if thats a good or bad thing..

qiman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
« Reply #83 on: Jun 28, 2006, 10:24:11 PM »
That rxp link you gave didn't work. Try this, it has a link to the documentation. http://www.rxp-gas-kicker.com

#2. If you are going to use any additive, I strongly recommend RXP Gas Kicker. See their webpage here: RXP Gas Kicker. I am sure this stuff works because I failed and then retested following these tips and used the RXP and I passed pretty good.

shermota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Jan '05
  • thanks be to Marlin.....
« Reply #84 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:38:25 AM »
This one is simple, put smaller tires on for the test. I couldnt get my 80 toy to pass, so I put on my stock tacoma tires with alloy rims instead of my heavy ass steal ones. Thereby reducing the amount of work the engine had to do to turn the tires, so when the smog man accelerates to 25 & 35 it is alot easier on the motor, using less fuel and making less emissions. It looked dumb as all hell with 31's in it,  but it passed.
Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,176
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
« Reply #85 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:42:33 AM »
Move to a different state where they don't have smog tests.  I live in Colorado and if there were smog tests here we would all be riding bikes.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 808
  • Male Posts: 2,581
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
« Reply #86 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:48:24 PM »
The smaller tires do work only not just from the load aspect it has to do with the fact that the engine is spinning faster and getting the exhaust hotter which makes the cat work better.  :thumbs:  I couldn't be  100% sure but there might be a limit on rpm for relative vehicle speed. If you're already geared for the tire size you're running than something slightly smaller will still help. I probably wouldn't try running 31's if you're geared for 38's... :ha_ha: Besides it would look pretty funny!  :haha:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
« Reply #87 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:52:52 PM »
:ha_ha: Besides it would look pretty funny!  :haha:

Well the smog program is a joke anyways

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
« Reply #88 on: Feb 03, 2007, 12:29:21 AM »
Well the smog program is a joke anyways
amen!

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #89 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »
Not looking forward to smog in another year...ill have to buy a cat!  Heeeeereeeee kitty kitty kitty

Smogging vehicles is just a way to make more money.  I agree its rediculous.  My dad told me if I register my vehicle in Ukiah, CA, I wont have to smog anymore.  I could claim residence there too my stepsister lives there and shes nice.  Right now I have all the smog stuff minus a cat.

HEY i got a question i just thought of after rambling on....
My stock 220K old cat had a "thermo sensor" in it.  Does not having this screw anything up with the smog computer on a 22r?  Its an old 22r.....1982.  Exhaust sure flows nice without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.