Author Topic: How to Pass Smog  (Read 261026 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: How to Pass Smog
« Reply #270 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:55:44 AM »
It looks like you could have two possible problems, one being the cat, the other the air injection valve. 

At my last test last January, I failed the HC test at idle.  The tech said the low CO% of 12.3 was a sign that the cat wasn't working correctly, and that it should be 14-15%(for my 3.0).  I swapped in a new CARB compliant cat, and the CO went from 12.3 to 14.9%, and the HC's went from 167 at idle(portion of test the truck failed) to 10.  A new cat should reduce your HC's by about 50% or more, if your current cat isn't working correctly.  The old now non-compliant CARB cats had very small catalyst chambers compared to the oem cats, weighed over 50% less. this gave them  very narrow temperature range, a short life expectancy, and is why they are no longer CARB compliant. 

Difference in size between the oem and standard aftermarket catalytic converters.  The "X" is the size of the catalyst chamber from screen to screen.

The new CARB compliant cats are bigger and  heavier than the old ones, but still nowhere near the same size/weight as the oem ones.

The Pulse secondary air injection valve(PAIR) or the vsv xould also be bad.  The PAIR system injects fresh air into the exhaust to prolong the burn cycle, which reduces HC's and CO's prior to the cat.  An '86 I had failed its smog test w/a new cat, proper timing, valve adjustment, and new plug/wires.  The tech said the high NOx and low O2 were signs that the air injection valve wasn't working correctly.  I swapped the valve out with a spare one I had and the truck passed w/o issue.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

mrtt999

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:09:42 AM »
Snowtoy, thank you for the information!! Very much appreciated!! The CAT that is on the rig now is similar to the one in your first photo, on the left - small, and it is welded in.  When I purchased the O2 sensor, after the first test failure, I asked about a replacement CAT, and I was told they are all sold as weld in units now (California) due to theft issues.  Is there any way to check the welded CAT functionality, to determine if it is "good", and working properly, other than using a diagnostics scope/sniffer machine?  Can you please pin-point the VSV valve you mentioned? Possibly post a pic?  Thank you!

mrtt999

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
I failed to mention in my first post, that before the first test, I had to replace the BVSV valve for EGR (purple color, front of motor) which was missing. PO put a temp sender in its location  :bull crap:.  I replaced all vaccuum hoses at that time.  About this same time I re-cored the radiator and replaced all hoses, belts, coolant.

The BVSV valves for AAP and SC look like they might be original, but it is difficult to tell.  The VSV on the passenger fender near the battery is in place.  I am going to recheck everything again and reset the timing and idle. 

The factory idle setting is 700 rpm for M/T.  I can't get the idle below ~800.  Below that and it runs like crap and wants to die.  I have it at ~ 2 turns out.  Is this OK/correct?

I don't know if the odometer is correct, but the truck has 237k on it, and the motor looks like it was rebuilt or at least resealed not too long ago.  I don't have any history on the motor unfortunately, but it runs great, just rich at the moment. 

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #273 on: Jan 09, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
You can set the idle up (even in CA)

I think the rpm limit is 1200, I usually have it about 1000 for the test.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

mrtt999

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I'll try bumping the idle up a bit.  Thank you emsvitil.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:17:38 AM »
Snowtoy, thank you for the information!! Very much appreciated!! The CAT that is on the rig now is similar to the one in your first photo, on the left - small, and it is welded in.  When I purchased the O2 sensor, after the first test failure, I asked about a replacement CAT, and I was told they are all sold as weld in units now (California) due to theft issues.  Is there any way to check the welded CAT functionality, to determine if it is "good", and working properly, other than using a diagnostics scope/sniffer machine?  Can you please pin-point the VSV valve you mentioned? Possibly post a pic?  Thank you!

The only way to test the cat would be to drill a hole in the exhaust tube before the cat so the smog shop could see what the pre-cat values are.  Given the type of cat it is, if it is more than a few years old it is likely bad.  The one in my '91 has was 4yrs old and had less than 4k miles(wheeling rig) and at the last smog test last May it tested on the hi side of passing whereas it was on the low side when it was new, and the engine has as just as many miles as the cat.  Welding them in wont prevent a theft either, not when thief are cutting them out with a battery powered saws-all.  You alsp don't have to weld the universal ones in either, traditional exhaust clamps will work fine.

You might be able to find the vsv valve for the air injection valve it in the '85 FSM(downloadable) located here FSM's.  I don't currently have any rigs w/the 22r in them, I will check my '84 FSM, and see if it has an illustration showing its location.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

DAILYspec

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 10
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:29:10 PM »
I passed today no problem, Castrol 10w40 with 1/2 qt of Lucas stabilizer, A/F 3 1/2 turns out, timing set to 5 BTDC and "cheap" 87 gas($4.29 a gallon) I should mention I drove for about an hour beforehand and left it running with the heater on blast as i awaited my turn(it was 70 degrees today), the smog guy was pissed, haha!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #277 on: Mar 06, 2012, 05:38:06 AM »
They can test the cat by determining the amount of heat it creates, yes there's an app for that. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

mrtt999

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Apr 02, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
I'm still battling issues with my smog ....  Can someone please tell me where the deceleration valve vacuum line connects?  Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.  I haven't found any picture's or diagrams of this in fsm, or elsewhere.  Thank you.

yotacrawler1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '11
  • 1985, on wontons
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: Apr 18, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
can u smog if ur running on propane? just take it to the ref? or will the take one look at it and say no.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #280 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:31:33 PM »
You need to get a certificate from the California Air Resources Board in order to use alternative fuels in CA. Sounds stupid but they don't like letting people switch the types of fuel used unless the emmissions equipment can deal with the type of fuel you plan on using. So to answer your question you would get turned away from the inspection station.

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »
Here goes:

84' 22R, rebuilt  ~4 years ago, 20 over, has passed before

I've failed 6 tests this time around. The only thing i'm failing for right now is NO. As far as the work that a friend and I have done:
-rebuilt multiple carbs (finally found a stock one that runs great)
-replaced and check every vacuum line as well as sealed every leak
-new intake gasket
-new spark plugs
-new EGR
-checked every valve, checked function of all valves + smog pump
-new cat (didn't change a thing unfortunately)
-replaced header with stock manifold (increased back pressure and cut my NO in half)

The only feedback I really get from the testers are "EGR" and "Cat", one finally told me something different and said i'm too lean and cylinder temps are probably too high. I'm about twice as high as i need to be for NO but well below in every other area. Anyone have anything else to check? I've done all i can think to do besides taking it to a gold shield station and bending over. I can post my numbers if it will help. Thanks
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
Here goes:

I've failed 6 tests this time around. The only thing i'm failing for right now is NO. As far as the work that a friend and I have done:
-new intake gasket
-new spark plugs
-new EGR
-replaced header with stock manifold (increased back pressure and cut my NO in half)

The only feedback I really get from the testers are "EGR" and "Cat", one finally told me something different and said i'm too lean and cylinder temps are probably too high. I'm about twice as high as i need to be for NO but well below in every other area. Anyone have anything else to check? I've done all i can think to do besides taking it to a gold shield station and bending over. I can post my numbers if it will help. Thanks

I had the exact same problem with my '84 22R. Turns out my 02 sensor was no good! YUP, that's right! The way to tell if it is working and that the electric Diverter Valve is functioning is simple. Take the air cleaner lid off and while the engine is running slowly raise the engine RPM. What you should hear (about 1200-1500 RPM) is the air being diverted to the air cleaner in cycling bursts (kinda sounds like a duck call. you can't mistake it). If you hear that, then it's working. If you don't, then either the 02 Sensor is bad or the Diverter Valve is no good causing air to always be diverted to the exhaust port causing a lean exhaust mixture which will show as High Nox. The electric portion of the Diverter Valve is simply 12V and you can operate it manually to test it. It receives 12V all the time with the key on and is grounded through the Emissions Computer when it see the appropriate signal range from the 02 Sensor. Just FYI  :biggthumpup:

When I tested mine, it was diverting air to the air cleaner constantly without the cycling. once I change the 02 Sensor it passed and life was good again.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #283 on: Apr 25, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »
The EGR valve needs some backpressure to work.
So add some more backpressure for the test to lower the NOx

I add this after the cat for testing purposes:

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:01:16 PM »
  I had the exact same problem with my '84 22R. Turns out my 02 sensor was no good! YUP, that's right! The way to tell if it is working and that the electric Diverter Valve is functioning is simple. Take the air cleaner lid off and while the engine is running slowly raise the engine RPM. What you should hear (about 1200-1500 RPM) is the air being diverted to the air cleaner in cycling bursts (kinda sounds like a duck call. you can't mistake it). If you hear that, then it's working. If you don't, then either the 02 Sensor is bad or the Diverter Valve is no good causing air to always be diverted to the exhaust port causing a lean exhaust mixture which will show as High Nox. The electric portion of the Diverter Valve is simply 12V and you can operate it manually to test it. It receives 12V all the time with the key on and is grounded through the Emissions Computer when it see the appropriate signal range from the 02 Sensor. Just FYI  :biggthumpup:

When I tested mine, it was diverting air to the air cleaner constantly without the cycling. once I change the 02 Sensor it passed and life was good again.

Thank you for the info fordh8r. So I started it up and tried to see if i could hear the switch at all, didn't hear anything at any rpms. Pulled my O2 sensor, definitely bad. Replaced it with new and it's still not switching over. Pulled the hose off the bottom that runs to the air injection tube on the exhaust manifold so that i could see when it was blowing. It's always diverting air to the exhaust, which makes sense, one of the techs said i had too much air getting put in. So i pulled the valves plug and checked it, hooked up some leads and grounded it out and it closed and sent air up to the air cleaner. Now the question is, why isn't my computer grounding it even with the new O2 at any rpm (truck also warmed up & choke off). Could i just ground it out myself for smog purposes to try to pass? Thanks again
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Apr 26, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
Thank you for the info fordh8r. So I started it up and tried to see if i could hear the switch at all, didn't hear anything at any rpms. Pulled my O2 sensor, definitely bad. Replaced it with new and it's still not switching over. Pulled the hose off the bottom that runs to the air injection tube on the exhaust manifold so that i could see when it was blowing. It's always diverting air to the exhaust, which makes sense, one of the techs said i had too much air getting put in. So i pulled the valves plug and checked it, hooked up some leads and grounded it out and it closed and sent air up to the air cleaner. Now the question is, why isn't my computer grounding it even with the new O2 at any rpm (truck also warmed up & choke off). Could i just ground it out myself for smog purposes to try to pass? Thanks again

Yer welcome.  8)  In short, no, you can't just ground that because it has to cycle in order to dynamically adjust for the amount of Oxygen content in the exhaust stream under varying loads. Have you checked for voltage on the ECM side of that connector? It should have "key on" voltage and the "Ground" side is controlled by the ECM. Not having gone any further than this before, I might venture a guess at one of the Coolant Temp Sensors possibly having failed and not properly indicating to the ECM that the engine is at "Normal Operating Temp". In which case, it may not know to function as it should thinking that the engine is still "Cold". The wiring that comes from that corner of the intake manifold also may be suspect since I have had some issues with wire breakage in that area of the harness and near those respective sensor connectors. That sounds like the direction I'd be headed in your case.  :thumbs: I'm interested to know what you find.  :beerchug:

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Sep 09, 2012, 05:24:15 PM »
Curious if anyone knows, how much vacuum psi should the egr on a 22re be getting to fully open up? This is what the egr modulator feeds to the egr valve.  Im about too smog my truck again and currently under load it gets about 6psi. Is 6psi plenty to open the egr valve?? I havent installed the cat and the restrictor plate yet so that may help some more with backpressure.
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

GRW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 425-903-6392
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:52:42 AM »

Here goes:

-new intake gasket
-new spark plugs
-new EGR

So you still have to pass the sniff test? =O
Not that my truck would have a problem (22RE in place or the 22R).
In WA 25 years and your golden (that is the areas that require testing).
I could go V6/V8 if I wanted the fuel bill, been kicking around the newer bigger 4's around.....
84 XTRA CAB 3RZ
01 Tundra for sale
11 TDI Sportwagon
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=274806

MrJoshua77

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: Oct 20, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
I'm a smog tech here in CA. I work at a gold shield station and could help you guys through your smog issues.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #289 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
Maybe some day I'll have to try some of these tricks, oh well I guess I'll just have to suffer passing with flying colors again. Though my Co2 was a little high this time.

xhootiehoox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 180
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Be like water just flow with it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #290 on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
Thank u I'm gonna do all the above for my 22r lol :beerchug:
The secret is more beer and better music 🇺🇸

xhootiehoox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #291 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »
I'm a smog tech here in CA. I work at a gold shield station and could help you guys through your smog issues.
I just found out today my truck  was deemed a gross polluter and now I have to go to a stars station and get it smog and they said I had an exhaust leak he would not tell me where it was but said it would not pass smog with an exhaust leak any help ?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #292 on: Mar 07, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »
I just found out today my truck  was deemed a gross polluter
I wish places would pre-test when they see something might not look right. This happened to my MR2 many, many years ago. It has since been re-registered (engine conversion) but I remember how upset I was over it.

they said I had an exhaust leak he would not tell me where it was
It will mostly likely pass smog but they are exercising their right to refuse business until you get it fixed. Which I can understand. The easiest way to find a leak is take a small diameter hose, maybe like a 3/8" vacuum hose, and with the engine idling, hold one end of the hose right up to your ear while you probe the other end around your engine. You'll want to keep probing the hose around until the hissing from the exhaust leak gets louder and louder and soon you'll find the exact location or locations where the leak is. Then you'll be able to identify if it's the EGR pipe, or the exhaust manifold gasket, or the manifold itself, or the collector pipe, et cetera.

Best of luck!

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

xhootiehoox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #293 on: Mar 10, 2016, 08:43:26 PM »
Thanks guys found the leaks lol now to fix em lol

xhootiehoox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #294 on: Mar 23, 2016, 06:44:02 AM »
Ok so I'm having a serious problem my truck "did not know when I bought it " was deem gross poluter I've done everything I can to get it to pas I went to a shop they said yeah pass great oh nvm it's a gp u have to go to a gold start certified smog shop so I did then he said my numbers are off
Hc......ppm:63
Co......%0.00
Co2....%3.9
O2 15.6 (This needs to be at a 8 or lower  I guess )
I'm lease help this is all the info he gave me and I have to have it smog before the 31s of this month I'm open to anything

xhootiehoox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #295 on: Mar 23, 2016, 06:45:22 AM »
will u look at my latest post and help me please  :beer: :beerchug:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Mar 26, 2016, 05:57:22 PM »
O2 15.6 (This needs to be at a 8 or lower  I guess )

I don't think there is a requirement for O2 (or CO2). What were your NOx?

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: Mar 26, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »
CO2 and O2 are measured, but they are not spec'd

the only things you will fail for are HC, CO, and NO

not all smog places can smog vehicles... that place you took yours to knew darn well, that they weren't authorized to test yours, they jsut wanted your money

I know quite a bit about the smog process now, because of the issues I have had..... I failed recently because the TECH looked up the wrong cat EO number...

I talked to other smog techs, and also to BAR who said my cat was correct... guess what, took it somewhere else, and it passed.......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Mar 26, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »
guess what, took it somewhere else, and it passed.......

The smog program. It's a joke and a misuse of the public's time and money.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Mar 26, 2016, 09:00:11 PM »
The smog program. It's a joke and a misuse of the public's time and money.

ok, so here is my take on it, I get why they do it, they don't want some unsafe piece of junk cruising around..... but their enforcement of it is flawed... my van has passed for years with clean emissions, but has a random misfire, that triggers the code... nothing is wrong with it, and everything has been replaced.... took it in after the light had been gone for 3 weeks (well reset by me) I checked all I/M on my reader... was fine..... then they failed me for the wrong cat, because my van says it is a "DODGE 2500 VAN" that meant truck to them, and that is why it didn't pass..... I called BAR and they got back to me and said my VIN and Dodge 2500 Van is a B2500 --- my cat is legal for a B2500 -- so BAR said I had the correct cat...... Took it to a friend, he ran it, and passed with no issues..... CEL came back on on the way home.... oh well.......

there are other states, that don't allow lift kits...
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~